Interesting rumors about marvel in dl & wdw

Kamikaze

Could you elaborate on the last statement. If these parks aren't supporting themselves, no park anywhere is. Did you see the attendance figures?

Maybe I misinterpreted what you said.

You didn't, I'm sure. A lot of people think that the current parks (mostly DHS and DAK) are unfinished, half-day parks because they can do everything they want to do (not everything available) in half a day.

misterID

Both Spiderman and The Simpson Ride are both great attractions that would work with Marvel characters I know Spidey is a Marvel character) and would be family friendly and both have a 40" height requirement. The Marvel rides/attractions wouldn't necessarily have to be coasters to get a thrill.

Could you imagine an attraction like Spiderman set in the X Mansion? :cool:

As a Huge Disney Fan and A Huge Marvel Fan, I would love to see The Avengers walking around in the parks.

Marvel has had some real good success in the movies lately. And with one or two Marvel based movies coming out this year and in the next three years, Marvel should enjoy a place in the parks. Marvel Characters in the parks not only helps attendance but also sells more movie tickets.

Start small with a few meet and greets here and there. Thor, Iron Man, Captain America, the core Avengers. See how it goes, then if it is well received, and we all know it will be, then maybe a ride.

This is exciting.

NowInc

"Disney’s President Bob Iger appeared on CNBC earlier today and had this to say, “Marvel characters have already proven to be strong in terms of theme park attraction and we believe there are a lot of opportunities around the world, not in every one of our parks because there are some existing agreements that we obviously have to honor, but in a number of places for us to use the Marvel characters to basically help us grow our theme park business and better entertain people.”

Universal Orlando spokesman Tom Schroder said Marvel characters will remain a staple at its parks. “Marvel Super Hero Island at Universal’s Islands of Adventure and the Marvel characters are a beloved and important part of the Universal Orlando experience. They will remain so. Our guests are going to get to meet Spider-Man and all our other Marvel characters. We believe our agreement with Marvel stands and that the Disney/Marvel deal will have no impact on our guest experience.”

The Orlando Sentinel is reporting that Marvel has various deals with Universal Orlando. But the agreements governing The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man ride and The Incredible Hulk roller coaster, appear to be virtually perpetual deals. According to Universal’s filings with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, Universal Orlando retains American rights east of the Mississippi River for as long as its attractions are in operation. Universal and Marvel also have various deals for everything from merchandise sales to the theming of many other portions of Islands of Adventure."

http://attractionsmagazine.com/blog...what-will-this-mean-for-islands-of-adventure/

yes its an old article but it pretty much stands true today. I highly doubt you will see a Marvel presence in disney parks for a while.

SleepingMonk

When Disney does make a ride like this they get complaints to no end (ie M:S and AE)

Sad but true.

Disney obviously knows their target demo and play to it very well.

Just look at MNSSHP vs. HHN or the summer concerts at each park...Uni has Drake and Pitbull, Disney has Taylor Dayne and Air Supply.

If the Marvel fans expect a thrilling, in your face, amazing experience here in the states they better look for it somewhere besides WDW.

ParkMan73

"Disney’s President Bob Iger appeared on CNBC earlier today and had this to say, “Marvel characters have already proven to be strong in terms of theme park attraction and we believe there are a lot of opportunities around the world, not in every one of our parks because there are some existing agreements that we obviously have to honor, but in a number of places for us to use the Marvel characters to basically help us grow our theme park business and better entertain people.”

Universal Orlando spokesman Tom Schroder said Marvel characters will remain a staple at its parks. “Marvel Super Hero Island at Universal’s Islands of Adventure and the Marvel characters are a beloved and important part of the Universal Orlando experience. They will remain so. Our guests are going to get to meet Spider-Man and all our other Marvel characters. We believe our agreement with Marvel stands and that the Disney/Marvel deal will have no impact on our guest experience.”

The Orlando Sentinel is reporting that Marvel has various deals with Universal Orlando. But the agreements governing The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man ride and The Incredible Hulk roller coaster, appear to be virtually perpetual deals. According to Universal’s filings with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, Universal Orlando retains American rights east of the Mississippi River for as long as its attractions are in operation. Universal and Marvel also have various deals for everything from merchandise sales to the theming of many other portions of Islands of Adventure."

http://attractionsmagazine.com/blog...what-will-this-mean-for-islands-of-adventure/

yes its an old article but it pretty much stands true today. I highly doubt you will see a Marvel presence in disney parks for a while.

I imagine that when Disney is ready, they'll just deploy the Marvel characters in all the parts except for WDW. I don't think the choice would be WDW or none of the parks at all.

lazyboy97o

I imagine that when Disney is ready, they'll just deploy the Marvel characters in all the parts except for WDW. I don't think the choice would be WDW or none of the parks at all.
Tokyo Disney Resort and Disneyland Paris might be affected if there is an geographic exclusivity given to Universal Studios Japan and Madam Tussauds London.

RSoxNo1

Most of the speculation regarding the Theme Park Rights to Marvel assume that Universal will have to re-theme Super Hero Island. I would think that a mutually beneficial arrangement would be for Disney to simply buy out the exclusivity rights while still allowing Universal the licensing rights for the characters. Why can't Marvel properties be present at both resorts? Sure, it would probably be ill conceived for Disney to make an attraction based on Spiderman, The Hulk, Dr. Doom or Storm, but they could agree to make an Iron Man attraction while the marquees and other images still exist in IOA.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Most of the speculation regarding the Theme Park Rights to Marvel assume that Universal will have to re-theme Super Hero Island. I would think that a mutually beneficial arrangement would be for Disney to simply buy out the exclusivity rights while still allowing Universal the licensing rights for the characters. Why can't Marvel properties be present at both resorts? Sure, it would probably be ill conceived for Disney to make an attraction based on Spiderman, The Hulk, Dr. Doom or Storm, but they could agree to make an Iron Man attraction while the marquees and other images still exist in IOA.

You're right of course. The average park attender is not going to even notice that Marvel is present at both resorts and those that do won't mind.

lebeau

I remember reading back at the time of the purchase that Disney most likely would not be interested in doing this out of fear of brand confusion. Basically, it makes Disney parks seem more like Universal parks which is a bad thing if you're the number 1 park.

I don't know how much that theory holds up, but I recall the idea of Disney and Universal sharing Marvel being dismissed pretty quickly for that reason.

misterID

These rumors are as paper thin as the first time I heard them... Right here on this forum!

No doubt DL and DLP will get Marvel rides eventually, though.

maxairmike

I remember reading back at the time of the purchase that Disney most likely would not be interested in doing this out of fear of brand confusion. Basically, it makes Disney parks seem more like Universal parks which is a bad thing if you're the number 1 park.

I don't know how much that theory holds up, but I recall the idea of Disney and Universal sharing Marvel being dismissed pretty quickly for that reason.

I can't tell you how many times I've heard, and even been asked, questions regarding Universal attractions since Disney owns Marvel now. The average guest has a hard enough time figuring out that IOA and USO aren't Disney parks as well without any brand crossovers like Marvel characters in both parks. That is likely a very big concern.

FigmentJedi

Agree for the most part though I could see a fit in DHS at best. Beyond that, please keep them out of DL, MK, AK and Epcot.

Having Marvel characters in Disney Parks is one of the worst ideas I've ever heard.

There are Marvel characters that can fit into all four of the classic Magic Kingdom realms. This is just ignorance of the "The only superheroes I've ever heard of are the ones that have been made into movies" level.
I'm not necessarily advocating them to cram Marvel everywhere, but the library of characters and stories are vast enough that Marvel can fit into the parks just fine if done responsibly.

Guardians of the Galaxy or other Cosmic Marvel would be pretty fun to see in Tomorrowland. Hell, the Guardians even have a talking raccoon on their team. Sounds Disney to me.

lazyboy97o

When I worked at the Disney Store it was quite often that people wanted to buy or return merchandise from franchises present at Universal Orlando Resort.

Stevek

There are Marvel characters that can fit into all four of the classic Magic Kingdom realms. This is just ignorance of the "The only superheroes I've ever heard of are the ones that have been made into movies" level.
I'm not necessarily advocating them to cram Marvel everywhere, but the library of characters and stories are vast enough that Marvel can fit into the parks just fine if done responsibly.

Guardians of the Galaxy or other Cosmic Marvel would be pretty fun to see in Tomorrowland. Hell, the Guardians even have a talking raccoon on their team. Sounds Disney to me.

Wow, ignorance? A bit strong for someone just stating an opinion. I personally don't want Marvel characters put into Disney parks as they just don't appeal to me. I would prefer we stick with tried and true Disney/Pixar Characters and very limited licensed/outside characters ala Marvel or SW/Indy. You're ok with it. I respect that and we can disagree, big deal.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom