Inside WDW new space mountain 11/10/09

ptaylor

Premium Member
Good timing. Were the photos released to divert attention from the Lights of Winter complaints that are piling up on the official blog? At least we know that Thomas Smith is online since he created that Space Mountain blog - hopefully he will give an official answer soon on LoW. At the moment I guess we can assume that silence means the Lights of Winter are indeed gone.

dreamfinder

So what happens if you are playing the asteroid game that lasts 90 seconds, and the line starts to move? Does everyone get stuck behind the players? Or does everyone give up mid game? The main queue shot looks very promising though.

dreamfinder

Good timing. Were the photos released to divert attention from the Lights of Winter complaints that are piling up on the official blog? At least we know that Thomas Smith is online since he created that Space Mountain blog - hopefully he will give an official answer soon on LoW. At the moment I guess we can assume that silence means the Lights of Winter are indeed gone.

Not necessarily. We can hope that he needs to find out an answer from someone else? Or that he needs to clarify his official response beforehand. Or, alternatively the blog post was already set to fire off today. Many bloggers do end up pre-loading their posts and set them to fire off later so they spread their content around. *Crosses fingers its one of these*

RSoxNo1

It does appear that the Alpha and Bravo sides have been combined as the switchbacks are much longer. I'd be interested to see how the configuration actually works.

jmuboy

Notice new queue line railings shown in this picture as well:

did you notice the 2nd picture??

space2LARGE.jpg

hpyhnt 1000

So what happens if you are playing the asteroid game that lasts 90 seconds, and the line starts to move? Does everyone get stuck behind the players? Or does everyone give up mid game? The main queue shot looks very promising though.

I don't see that being a problem. Essentially, it will work like the queue games in Soarin'. Instead of slowly inching forward over the span of one two minutes, you'll have a group come to the games, play the games, then fill in the gap that formed in front of them while they played. The next groups files in, plays, fills in the gap, and so on. Instead of moving 20 feet over the course of 2 minutes, you'll move 20 feet all at once every 2 minutes.

There is no real disruption in the overall wait time while in line, and its not like anyone from the FP line is going to cut in front of someone in Stand-by. All in all, the games should provide a much needed distraction as you make your way into the mountain.

Oh, and the switchback/load area looks pretty amazing. Not bad for a refurb done on the cheap IMHO. :) :sohappy:

tiaragirl

That's what I was wondering as well.

Looks great, though! So excited.

EpcotServo

Really? Do I have to be the first one to say it?

Floors. The Floors are still awful concrete.

I know our nice decorative floors we've been installing in newer attractions get scuffed, but it's worth it. The drab grey Concrete just ain't workin'.

Sigh.

Anyways, the Load area does look a thousand times better, though it's still 95% the same. I would've preferred better details, but I had assumed from the beginning they'd have no real wealth of shininess as per Disneyland, and would instead substitute a new pepper's ghost space box that involves projections.

Basicly, what I'm saying is like it, but I was shooting for "Excellent" not "Competent".
:lol:

:dazzle:

Great Team + No Money = They just can't swing for the fences on this one.

Well, like I said, it looks better...Disneyland, I'm sending you the trophy. It should be there by next monday.
:eek: :dazzle: :lol:

(Oh, and no, not all the Star Windows will be gone, they won't place games on the Fastpass side. You can kinda' see em' in the photo actually.)

Rob562

It does appear that the Alpha and Bravo sides have been combined as the switchbacks are much longer. I'd be interested to see how the configuration actually works.

I believe it's just the lens used to shoot that queue photo that's distorting the perception of length. What's seen in the "blue queue" photo is entirely on the Omega side.
If you look to the far right in the background, you can see the "spindle" that the rockets go around as they go from dispatch to the hold point above the blue tunnel.
The photographer was most likely standing where the turnstile was on the Omega side after you walked past the control tower.

Obviously they mean for these queue rails to get used, but I'll be interested to see how they actually use them.

Also, while looking at the photos, is it just me or does it look like they simply re-painted the old sky-blue queue railings and topped them with the silver boxes?

-Rob

EpcotServo

Also, while looking at the photos, is it just me or does it look like they simply re-painted the old sky-blue queue railings and topped them with the silver boxes?

-Rob

Nah, if you look at the close ones they have a distinct shine that reminds me of the stock used in Soarin'.

DisneyDellsDude

Hmm. I'm not a fan of the Asteroid Game picture.
(They better take that text off the game screen!)

To me, the graphics don't look very good.
But I'll await more judgment until it is open.

Otherwise, it seems to be a nice cleaning of the attraction.
This should have happened about 10 years ago, but nothing can be done about that.

Hopefully we'll get another big space mountain update by 2020.

Exprcoofto

Here are some more pictures:

309tx5j.jpg

20ztbew.jpg

Also, as EpcotServo mentioned, the floor looks horrible, but I'm not sure if it is quite done. If so, it looks extremely dirty in general. Who knows though.

Anyway... I wouldn't be surprised if they removed these images as they were uploaded, but not used.

dweezil78

Hmm. I'm not a fan of the Asteroid Game picture.
(They better take that text off the game screen!)

To me, the graphics don't look very good.
But I'll await more judgment until it is open.

Could be cool, hard to tell w/o seeing it up close. But from the pic, it looks like a flash game you'd find online. Actually, it kinda looks like the VR game from the 1993 CoP update! :ROFLOL:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom