Rumor Inside Out to Replace Journey into Imagination with Figment?

EricsBiscuit

We're unfortunately not getting the original JII back so forget that. What we could get is an awesome Inside Out attraction to replace the heap of garbage and squandered potential that is the imagination pavilion of today.

Kman101

I really hope they stick with Figment but I'm bracing myself. Inside Out would work great in Epcot ... in the Wonders of Life pavilion, along with Big Hero 6. But nope, they gotta likely rip out another ride .... sigh. I won't mourn the loss of this version of the ride but I will mourn the loss if they cut Figment and don't bring him back to glory with Dreamfinder. Such a huge missed opportunity they have with this IP.

I can't see them closing this with Energy closing next month. I imagine it's staying open until Guardians and Rat open, or are near open. But who knows? They've done stranger things.

Kman101

We're unfortunately not getting the original JII back so forget that. What we could get is an awesome Inside Out attraction to replace the heap of garbage and squandered potential that is the imagination pavilion of today.

No it's not coming back, but we could get an awesome Figment and Dreamfinder ride that has the scope and scale of the original with brand new tech and updated ride system. Inside Out can go somewhere else in Epcot, like the empty pavilion that sits for half of the year when it's not hosting a festival store, which they could move to Odyssey since they can't seem to remember it used to be a functional restaurant.

Inside Out. For my money, Pixar's best film.

But that doesn't mean it's right for Epcot's Imagination pavilion.

A true sadness if a space designed to stir the imagination, that most wonderful of human faculties, was replaced with a ride that everyone and their mother could think up while on the toilet.

"A ride based on that movie I like!!"

Not exactly imaginative, is it?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I love Figment and Dreamfinder, but I remember from the old tours that both are partially owned by Kodak AND Disney (more heavily owned by Kodak though)...

Is there any possibility that Disney would attempt to buy out Kodak's portion or that that shared ownership is a reason Figment has a drastically reduced presence since Kodak dropped its sponsorship?

@marni1971 if anybody knows the IP ownership situation and how it ties into the use of Figment, I would assume it would be you.
Nothing I know of.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Figment & Dreamfinder is a stronger IP than Inside Out. They have already proven to have over 30 of staying power with little to no support. Most companies would be falling all over themselves to capitalize on something like that.
Dreamfinder and Figment are a franchise-opportunity goldmine for the company. I say that even though I despise the franchise mentality. But really, its all there for movies, tv shows, comics (which DO exist already), not to mention merch. To sell all that out for a mediocre movie about a very limited range of emotions in a person's mind would just be a travesty.

Karakasa

It depends on what they do with it. The idea that a ride based on an existing idea can't be creative is ultimately a moot one. Radiator Springs Racers is incredibly creative imo, and I don't even like the Cars movies. They can be ultimately uncreative- see Frozen overlay of Maelstrom- but I really don't ascribe to the idea that just because it's based on an IP it can't be creative.

I mean, what is the Haunted Mansion if not an extremely creative and unique version of the done many a time haunted house attraction?

Dapper Dan

Dreamfinder and Figment are a franchise-opportunity goldmine for the company. I say that even though I despise the franchise mentality. But really, its all there for movies, tv shows, comics (which DO exist already), not to mention merch. To sell all that out for a mediocre movie about a very limited range of emotions in a person's mind would just be a travesty.
That comic flew off the shelves and apparently the only thing they learned from that was people must really want more Figment comics. :facepalm:

WildcatDen

Not that I'm aware of. It's currently at the bottom of the list.
Glad to hear it. Serpico was not making it out to be a done deal but did say, either way, it would not be part of the announcements for D23. Serpico hit on most of the D23 announcements (not all like a certain 1971) but had the theater location in a different area. I also expected to hear about the World Showcase addition. Still, it is going on 5/6 weeks since our last pow wow. . . Were you surprised to not see the new country announced? The new attraction for UK? I cannot say I was stunned to not hear more, but a little surprised. My guess is we will not have to wait until D23 2019 to hear the rest of the 50th plans. . .

Haymarket2008

I just don't think they'd actually go through with it. Figment seems to be the only real bone they could throw to the rabid Epcot fans. They know how precious it is. As much as I hate Guardians in Energy, for example, I understand why they felt the need to inject it with "speed". The attraction was a problem for many reasons. Figment as a character is not a problem for them. Quite the opposite, he brings in large amounts of money. It's his half baked attraction. Why replace an established, long standing original IP for something......not established?

DAR1974

Figment is known to the hard core fans. But for the most part he's a character that's been pretty much ignored by the general public.

Disone

Inside Out also fits. It's literally PART OF THE MOVIE
HrQptQJ.png
In this case I don't understand why using Inside Out is considered IPcot. Inside Out was created by Disney for Disney way after Disney purchased Pixar. It isn't even close as this isn't it a IP that was bought from someone else this is 100% Disney.

In my opinion this is no more than Walt Disney using Peter Pan, Snow White, and mr. Toad, in original Fantasyland. Never in the history of Disney Parks has every single attraction been an attraction that was unique and exclusive to that Park. Not everything is a jungle cruise a Pirates of the Caribbean or Haunted Mansion and it never has been. I'm completely fine with Disney using its own created intellectual properties inside or out of its own created parks. See what I did there :)

clemmo

Not that I'm aware of. It's currently at the bottom of the list.
I'd be more interested in hearing what this list entails. Like what the updates to the land and sea are about. Honestly I'm not too sure about anything else that's on the list.

MissM

Figment continues to be a HUGE draw for merchandise. They previewed the Dooney & Bourke Food & Wine Festival bags at D23 and it's 100% Figment:

figment-foodwine17.jpg

These are $250-400 handbags and there is a HUGE following for them. So, from a marketing standpoint, Figment is hotter than ever. I can't imagine them fully removing him from the park given he's a huge cash cow. (This will be the THIRD Figment bag released, having been prominently featured on Flower & Garden bags in 2016 and 2017 prints.)

MissM

He was well-known for the general public back in the 80's and 90's. There was even a website that was dedicated to bringing back Figment when the second version of the attraction existed.
Yeah and let me tell you, I wore a Figment inspired Disneybound for Dapper Day and had people yelling out, "Figment!!" all day in gleeful excitement. He's still very well loved and his continuing presence on merchandise is a good indicator of his popularity. (Despite the fact the current ride is less than stellar!!)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom