Inside Out 2

CinematicFusion

Very good, everyone enjoyed it. Obviously it is t going to hit like the first one did but I still held back some tears at the end.
Worthy sequel, go see it in the theaters.

CinematicFusion

FRIDAY AFTERNOON: And we are on a roll at the box office: Any doubt that Disney+ has kept Pixar fans at home and outta of movie theaters, well that theory can just go out the window as Inside Out 2 is heading for the biggest opening of the year to date with $120M-$130M at 4,440 theaters. Some rival studios believe it’s much higher, but we haven’t had a fire-breathing four-quad in a while, so everybody’s getting excited with projections. At least $56M is in the bank today including last night’s $13M. Sources tell me that there’s a huge turnout by Hispanic and Latino moviegoers in walk-ups, hence the big business.

brideck

I still believe the audience decides. Releasing Turning Red in the theater wouldn’t move the needle, didn’t help Wish.

I think there is a strong argument to be made for Soul and I would have released that if I were CEO but not Luca or Turning Red. Just my opinion.

If the metrics on FlixPatrol are to be believed, Luca (in the top 15 for 2024 to date) and Turning Red (in the top 10 for 2024 to date) are both way more popular than Soul is on Disney+.

For reference, the top 10 there reads:
1 Moana
2 Elemental
3 Encanto
4 Frozen
5 Wish
6 Cars
7 The Marvels
8 Turning Red
9 Coco
10 Inside Out

By comparison, things like Lightyear or Strange World don't even really register at all. Obviously, things like Wish and The Marvels are boosted by their recent release status (and Inside Out by having, well, you know). It will remain to be seen where either of them end up in the long term.

CinematicFusion

If the metrics on FlixPatrol are to be believed, Luca (in the top 15 for 2024 to date) and Turning Red (in the top 10 for 2024 to date) are both way more popular than Soul is on Disney+.

1 Moana
2 Elemental
3 Encanto
4 Frozen
5 Wish
6 Cars
7 The Marvels
8 Turning Red
9 Coco
10 Inside Out

By comparison, things like Lightyear or Strange World don't even really register at all. Obviously, things like Wish and The Marvels are boosted by their recent release status (and Inside Out by having, well, you know). It will remain to be seen where either of them end up in the long term.
That’s why I would have released Soul in the theater hoping it would attract a more mature audience. Not saying it would have gained traction and it would have had to be delayed because of Covid.
I get using it as a vehicle to attract viewers at the time to Disney+ with the theaters closed.
was just a weird time.

brideck

That’s why I would have released Soul in the theater hoping it would attract a more mature audience. Not saying it would have gained traction and it would have had to be delayed because of Covid.
I get using it as a vehicle to attract viewers at the time to Disney+ with the theaters closed.
was just a weird time.

I was more trying to bolster the argument that (especially) Turning Red absolutely was a "hit song" for Pixar. The fact that it's in Cars/Coco territory without the benefit of any real theatrical release is pretty incredible. I think it would have been reasonably huge given any sort of normal theatrical environment/release. It even had a catchy musical number that people of all ages seem to enjoy.

Sonic 2 (April) and Doctor Strange 2 (May) showed that it certainly would have gotten people to turn out. Instead, Disney decided to make Lightyear be Pixar's grand return to the theater just a few months later -- a pretty big tactical error.

CinematicFusion

FRIDAY AFTERNOON: If there’s been any doubt that Disney+ has cannibalized the box office specifically in regards to Pixar movies, well, you can throw that theory out the window. That’s because this weekend Disney/Pixar’s Inside Out 2 is heading for the biggest opening of the year to date with $120M-$130M at 4,440 theaters. In fact, if the opening hits $150M (which is where rival studios see it), then it could be the second best stateside start for a Pixar movie after The Incredibles ($182.6M).

At least $56M is in the bank today including last night’s $13M. Sources tell me that there’s a huge turnout by Hispanic and Latino moviegoers in walk-ups, hence the big business.

Phroobar

Just got back from Inside Out 2. It was really well done. It felt and looked like Pixar. It was smart and emotional. It tied to original really well. Best of all there was any of the BS that Disney has been putting in things lately. They did a really good job on it. I'm pleasantly surprised. It is a prime example of what a Pixar movie should be. 9 out of 10. Go see it this weekend!

The Dora the Explorer character was annoying but it wasn't there for long. I did like how "backpack" only had explosives in it. That is how you solve a problem - Blow it up! I liked the video game character with his weak attack.

Last edited:

Magenta Panther

FRIDAY AFTERNOON: And we are on a roll at the box office: Any doubt that Disney+ has kept Pixar fans at home and outta of movie theaters, well that theory can just go out the window as Inside Out 2 is heading for the biggest opening of the year to date with $120M-$130M at 4,440 theaters. Some rival studios believe it’s much higher, but we haven’t had a fire-breathing four-quad in a while, so everybody’s getting excited with projections. At least $56M is in the bank today including last night’s $13M. Sources tell me that there’s a huge turnout by Hispanic and Latino moviegoers in walk-ups, hence the big business.

I remember that a lot of people were using that Disney+ excuse to explain why Disney's theatrical films were bombing. Welp...

Inside Out was a movie without baggage, and Inside Out 2 is a return to form. Glad to see it doing well.

Phroobar

I remember that a lot of people were using that Disney+ excuse to explain why Disney's theatrical films were bombing. Welp...

Inside Out was a movie without baggage, and Inside Out 2 is a return to form. Glad to see it doing well.
Anxiety had baggage.
iu

Miss Rori

Three weeks actually. Neither movie should stomp on the other as a result, they have a wide berth.
Yeah, and DM 4 also has the advantage of the July 4th holiday period, which has served that series well before. (The second movie went up directly against The Lone Ranger and walked all over it; that was a big surprise at the time.)

Miss Rori

The lesson Disney should have learned from those movies is not to send their movies straight to Disney Plus, not to abandon original movies altogether!

The only thing the success of Inside Out 2 will do is cause the company to prioritize sequels and spinoffs.
It was already clear in the runup to release they were going to do that anyway, alas. I'm glad IO 2 is doing well more because it's good for the larger exhibition industry than because I want Disney/Pixar to thrive under their current uninspiring business models. Looking over the professional reviews, it's clear that even most critics who like the movie don't like it as much as the first film.

What I worry about is that between this and Moana 2 both companies are just going to settle for "fine" from this point out in terms of the quality of their work, taking the path of least creative resistance, and not shoot for great just because it's too "risky" right now. Audiences in general will be satisfied for a while, but just being "fine" all the time eventually ran out for Marvel movies...

Moth

I heard a certain EPCOT ride that may or may not have a purple little f#cker has another easter egg in this? Is this true?

haveyoumetmark

I have a lot of thoughts about this movie, all to say I enjoyed it and would watch again to pick up on some things I may have missed. It was extremely clever and fun, yet still felt very much like a sequel—albeit a strongish one.

I think they did an excellent job marketing this film in a humorous and relatable way, especially with Anxiety‘s look & feel and ‘where can I put my stuff?’ line. It’s very relatable and emotionally resonant with a growing segment of the population. I connected with that very personally and found it funny—a big reason I wanted to see it right away. This is key for the opening numbers we’re seeing. Other movies didn’t get to benefit from such tact unfortunately.

The movie did not shy away from diversity at all, and there was a healthy amount of representation, which I enjoyed. Totally unrelated, but it shared a lot of similarities with Turning Red. It was almost like they were reusing some stuff, which I guess is OK since Turning Red had a smaller audience. They could have done something else for a teen girl character, but we got boy bands and puberty again. I don't need to see this cliche a third time from Pixar.

They did some interesting and funny stuff with animation styles, which felt super fun to watch. I think there were multiple scenes that lend themselves very well to some fun ride experiences. One setting in particular reminded me a lot of my time at the Magic Eye Theater, and I was charmed by the nod to one of Apple‘s best commercials.

Lastly, I love the potential that it may help many people understand themselves a little better and cope with their emotions a little easier, especially young people who have fewer tools. The concept is so rich and resonant and universal, I wouldn’t mind them continuing to explore stories in this world if they do so with care.

Last edited:

Sir_Cliff

1 Moana
2 Elemental
3 Encanto
4 Frozen
5 Wish
6 Cars
7 The Marvels
8 Turning Red
9 Coco
10 Inside Out

Yes, I think people's personal opinions often convert into stating that Luca or Turning Red would not have been successful at the box office, but there's no real evidence for that. Both have done very well on streaming, with Luca being the most-streamed movie of the year it came out and Turning Red appearing to also have significant staying power.

It's a bit of a shame as for general audiences the films are often overlooked. I suspect, though, they will come back around as nostalgic classics when the kids now watching them on Disney+ hit their 20s and 30s.

Ghost93

Yes, I think people's personal opinions often convert into stating that Luca or Turning Red would not have been successful at the box office, but there's no real evidence for that. Both have done very well on streaming, with Luca being the most-streamed movie of the year it came out and Turning Red appearing to also have significant staying power.

It's a bit of a shame as for general audiences the films are often overlooked. I suspect, though, they will come back around as nostalgic classics when the kids now watching them on Disney+ hit their 20s and 30s.
I expect Turning Red will eventually get a resurgence similar to A Goofy Movie. That movie got mixed reviews critics (for reasons I absolutely do not stand, it's perfect) and didn't make that much money at the box office, but it did well on home video and is now highly regarded by the people who grew up with it as kids. In the past 10 years Disney has finally began cashing in on the film with merchandise, fan events and Powerline-related stuff.

I expect Turning Red will eventually get a resurgence similar to A Goofy Movie. That movie got mixed reviews critics (for reasons I absolutely do not stand, it's perfect) and didn't make that much money at the box office, but it did well on home video and is now highly regarded by the people who grew up with it as kids. In the past 10 years Disney has finally began cashing in on the film with merchandise, fan events and Powerline-related stuff.
I feel like the movie is already past up that point. It has been on the most watched Disney plus since it came out and still has people talking about it. The movie is also one of the few new ones that's been able to move merch around, with the plushes and 4town shirts constantly selling out.

Id say disney definitely considers it a hit or at least that it attracts people and that's why it's getting a lot of push lately (pixar fest, disney+ ads, etc.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom