Inside Out 2

Ghost93

I just saw Inside Out 2. I'd compare it to Incredibles 2 and Toy Story 4 as a sequel that's really, really good but does not live up to its perfect predecessor.

I personally preferred Soul, Luca, Turning Red and Elemental and thought all of those movies felt more original/fresh, but Inside Out 2 will probably be more of a crowdpleaser.

Magenta Panther

Appears that IO2 is doing very well. 12 million bucks in previews in the U.S. Doing well overseas too.

I think that part of the appeal is that the film reminds people of the good old days of Pixar. Nostalgia is a heck of a drug.

We'll see how it holds up against Despicable Me 4 in two weeks. (BTW, is it just me, or does anyone else find Gru's wife insufferable?)

CinematicFusion

I just saw Inside Out 2. I'd compare it to Incredibles 2 and Toy Story 4 as a sequel that's really, really good but does not live up to its perfect predecessor.

I personally preferred Soul, Luca, Turning Red and Elemental and thought all of those movies felt more original/fresh, but Inside Out 2 will probably be more of a crowdpleaser.
What did the kids think? Nothing wrong with a summer crowdpleaser.
I’m seeing it today, I’ll let you know what my girls think.

Ghost93

What did the kids think? Nothing wrong with a summer crowdpleaser.
I’m seeing it today, I’ll let you know what my girls think.
Kids in the audience seemed to like it. It's definitely more child-friendly than Soul and Lightyear (which both felt very serious/mature).

Turning Red was the superior movie at tackling puberty and it felt more authentic to what teenagers are like. However, I believe that authenticity is part of what made some parents uncomfortable about it. Inside Out 2 takes a much safer/blander approach on the subject matter. While that's disappointing both artistically and in terms of being more relatable to 11-15-year-old girls, it's probably the right move commercially.

Overall I'd give Inside Out 2 a solid 8/10. A very good movie that doesn't really have any significant flaws, but also lacks the oomph factor to be a top tier Pixar film. Regardless, it's a much needed comeback for the Disney company after the utter embarrassment of Wish.

Magenta Panther

Kids in the audience seemed to like it. It's definitely more child-friendly than Soul and Lightyear (which both felt very serious/mature).

Turning Red was the superior movie at tackling puberty and it felt more authentic to what teenagers are like. However, I believe that authenticity is part of what made some parents uncomfortable about it. Inside Out 2 takes a much safer/blander approach on the subject matter. While that's disappointing both artistically and in terms of being more relatable to 11-15-year-old girls, it's probably the right move commercially.

Overall I'd give Inside Out 2 a solid 8/10. A very good movie that doesn't really have any significant flaws, but also lacks the oomph factor to be a top tier Pixar film. Regardless, it's a much needed comeback for the Disney company after the utter embarrassment of Wish.
IO2 avoided all of the controversy plaguing recent Disney flicks. Smart move.

CinematicFusion

For me, first half of Turning Red was really good, but then it kind of faded. My girls didn’t care for it, and one was so embarrassed when I gave her a red panda plushie as a gift. Maybe Turning Red should have been a short.
Elemental is very good, Soul was awesome.

Yes, we should not write off Pixar. Nobody can be perfect with new ideas all the time.
My kids can’t wait to see inside out today.. and my wife can’t wait to see Hugh Jackman so she can fantasize about him later this summer. :)

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I maintain that Lightyear isn't a bad movie in and of itself, I just think it completely misunderstood the assignment of representing the Buzz Lightyear that people love. It's a decent little sci-fi film, but it fails to capture the humor and Saturday-morning cartoon-esque appeal of the character.
I've always thought and still maintain if you take "Buzz" out of the equation and make it a standalone story it would have been well received.

Surferboy567

Nostalgia is a heck of a drug.
When you watch the movie this line becomes funny.

(BTW, is it just me, or does anyone else find Gru's wife insufferable?)
They actually played the trailer in front of my screening yesterday. I found it to be a disjointed mess especially the random scene of her running in the supermarket from the T1000 music.

I don’t hate the despicable me movies buy and large but I largely stopped watching after the second. The first I enjoyed well enough but not up to the standards of most Disney Pixar films. Minions movies I’m not the biggest fan of they need human characters to ground them. Gru is what makes those movies, and not seeing him that much in the trailer I didn’t like.

Ghost93

Yeah, they’ll certainly learn something: how to greenlight Monsters 3, Up 2, Nemo 3, Coco 2…
Yeah, there was nothing wrong with Soul/Luca/Turning Red. The lesson Disney should have learned from those movies is not to send their movies straight to Disney Plus, not to abandon original movies altogether!

The only thing the success of Inside Out 2 will do is cause the company to prioritize sequels and spinoffs.

Surferboy567

Yeah, there was nothing wrong with Soul/Luca/Turning Red. The lesson Disney should have learned from those movies is not to send their movies straight to Disney Plus, not to abandon original movies altogether!

The only thing the success of Inside Out 2 will do is cause the company to prioritize sequels and spinoffs.
I really didn’t like both Luca and Turning Red.

Soul is among one of the best Pixar movies though.

CinematicFusion

That’s not the reason those movies didn’t do well. Those movies weren’t bad “songs”… just weren’t hit “songs”. Audience knows the difference.
Encanto is prime example.

“Encanto, saw a gradual rise in popularity among fans. While it received positive reviews initially, its true popularity surged after its release on Disney+ on December 24, 2021. The film’s catchy songs, especially “We Don’t Talk About Bruno,” became viral hits, contributing significantly to its widespread appeal and sustained fan interest throughout 2022 and beyond.”

Ghost93

That’s not the reason those movies didn’t do well.
Encanto is prime example.
Audience knows what they want to see.

“Encanto, saw a gradual rise in popularity among fans. While it received positive reviews initially, its true popularity surged after its release on Disney+ on December 24, 2021. The film’s catchy songs, especially “We Don’t Talk About Bruno,” became viral hits, contributing significantly to its widespread appeal and sustained fan interest throughout 2022 and beyond.”
Encanto was a musical with a catchy soundtrack. That's not applicable to the Pixar movies.

DKampy

I maintain that Lightyear isn't a bad movie in and of itself, I just think it completely misunderstood the assignment of representing the Buzz Lightyear that people love. It's a decent little sci-fi film, but it fails to capture the humor and Saturday-morning cartoon-esque appeal of the character
I am happy you enjoyed it….I am not going to lament anyone’s opinions on a movie that differ from me…unlike some people who post here I understand that all film is subjective. However I personally did not care for the film…it had nothing to do with replacing Tim Allen with Chris Evans…as I was intrigued with that take… I thought the film started out good with some great Science Fiction ideas… but then fell off by the end

CinematicFusion

Encanto was a musical with a catchy soundtrack. That's not applicable to the Pixar movies.
I still believe the audience decides. Releasing Turning Red in the theater wouldn’t move the needle, didn’t help Wish.

I think there is a strong argument to be made for Soul and I would have released that if I were CEO but not Luca or Turning Red. Just my opinion.

Not a shot against Disney, it’s just hard to make great films that are also box office successes.

Suits took off on Netflix, no reason to think Turning Red couldn’t have done the same.
Suits” has achieved remarkable viewership numbers, particularly after its revival on Netflix. In 2023, it became the most-streamed TV series in the U.S., amassing 57.7 billion minutes of watch time

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom