Inside Out 2

TsWade2

There! You see? I told you Inside Out 2 will be critical and box office success! And Disney will not go bankrupt anytime soon! Now no more of this hating nonsense!
mood deal with it GIF

BrianLo

Original Poster
That’s not the reason those movies didn’t do well. Those movies weren’t bad “songs”… just weren’t hit “songs”. Audience knows the difference.
Encanto is prime example.
I still believe the audience decides. Releasing Turning Red in the theater wouldn’t move the needle, didn’t help Wish.

I think there is a strong argument to be made for Soul and I would have released that if I were CEO but not Luca or Turning Red. Just my opinion.

Not a shot against Disney, it’s just hard to make great films that are also box office successes.

Suits took off on Netflix, no reason to think Turning Red couldn’t have done the same.
Suits” has achieved remarkable viewership numbers, particularly after its revival on Netflix. In 2023, it became the most-streamed TV series in the U.S., amassing 57.7 billion minutes of watch time
It's a bit of a shame as for general audiences the films are often overlooked. I suspect, though, they will come back around as nostalgic classics when the kids now watching them on Disney+ hit their 20s and 30s.

Luca and Turning Red ARE hits. They’ve been judged on one single metric by the company and the streaming numbers are gargantuan. They’ve had as much mileage out of those films as Mandalorian. And the latter is a series when things are often looked at as a function of minutes by us - yet these films still track well on that over several years. Disney looks in terms of overall viewership and it’s no contest.

Are they Encanto? No, but Encanto is beyond insane. As is Mario.

This is not a Goofy Movie scenario. The films are somewhere in the half step above Wall-E and Ratatouille in terms of home audience uptake. They were watched and continue to be watched with regularity on their platform. Disney has no trouble recognizing this, I’m not sure why the narrative is the way it is here. Soul was the least of them. Not bad, but middle of the road and had some benefit from being the original free Pixar gift. But it didn’t sustain with kids like the other two.

Magenta Panther

The bottom line with Hollywood is: did the movie make money? Streaming doesn't make up for a poor box office performance. Let's not use Disney+ as an excuse again...

Anyway, I think that IO2 is this year's Mario. There's a pent-up demand for a bright, colorful, "safe" movie to take the kids to; especially if the film features characters people already know and love. Mario filled the bill last year, and it looks like IO2 will this year.

I'm interested to see if Moana 2 will have similar success this fall. From what I've seen, the animation, despite it being originally intended for TV, looks fine, so maybe no worries there. We'll see.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Updated numbers for Inside Out 2 from Disney: estimated $155 million domestic and $295 million worldwide.

"The Pixar Animation Studios film — which brings audiences back into the mind of Riley as she deals with a host of new emotions as a teenager — made an estimated $155 million at the domestic box office this weekend.

That makes Inside Out 2 not only the biggest box office opening of the year, but the second-biggest animated box office opening of all time domestically behind another Pixar film, 2018’s Incredibles 2.

As for the global total of Inside Out 2, it has made $295 million worldwide so far."

More at the link below.

DCBaker

Premium Member

DKampy

Interesting note in the Deadline article: AMC Dine-In Disney Springs in Orlando, Fl remains the biggest grossing cinema for the pic in the nation with a near $300K and counting.

Makes sense… Disney fans on vacation

Jedijax719

Biggest Disney movie since Rise of Skywalker and enormously more acclaimed. The movie made $155 million and will likely make well past $400 million domestic and possibly be the first Disney film in 5 years to make a billion worldwide.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The bottom line with Hollywood is: did the movie make money? Streaming doesn't make up for a poor box office performance.
Yes. It does. At least, it can. Subscription fees and ad fees pay for those IPs to be able to streamed. And for each content streamed, internal tracking takes place accruing part of the income to what gets streamed.

Not to mention the PPV windows and sublicensing to linear TV and other streamers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom