Inside Out 2

Jedijax719

It does, but I think people often overlook it because it's viewed as more of a "James Cameron" film than something Disney had an active hand in crafting. Disney distributes Avatar, but is much more hands-off with the property than they are Star Wars and Marvel.
Oops I didn't think of that because I still think of it is a Fox film separate from Disney.

Indy_UK

Haven’t seen the movie yet but I will eat my words here. I was one who said it was going to struggle and it obviously isn’t.

I wonder why it’s busy though, was there a demand for a 2nd one? I wonder if Disney releasing less movies a year makes a difference

ToTBellHop

Haven’t seen the movie yet but I will eat my words here. I was one who said it was going to struggle and it obviously isn’t.

I wonder why it’s busy though, was there a demand for a 2nd one? I wonder if Disney releasing less movies a year makes a difference
Because it’s great and there’s nothing in it that could possibly offend anyone?

Thinking like a teenager is one of those universal things that just about everyone can identify with.

Sir_Cliff

I'm kind of mixed on the great performance of this film (which I haven't seen yet), but leaning toward the more positive side.

I am a little disappointed the first big Disney animated success at the box office is a sequel at a time when it seems that the company is leaning into sequels as a safe option as it lessens the possibility of original films.

On the other hands, it proves that the existence of Disney+ doesn't preclude Disney/Pixar having big hits at the box office with animated films. Ultimately, I think that is a huge positive for those of us who want to keep seeing both studios continue produce new films.

doctornick

I'm kind of mixed on the great performance of this film (which I haven't seen yet), but leaning toward the more positive side.

I am a little disappointed the first big Disney animated success at the box office is a sequel at a time when it seems that the company is leaning into sequels as a safe option as it lessens the possibility of original films.

On the other hands, it proves that the existence of Disney+ doesn't preclude Disney/Pixar having big hits at the box office with animated films. Ultimately, I think that is a huge positive for those of us who want to keep seeing both studios continue produce new films.
I could be wrong but I think Elemental did a lot to rehabilitate the Pixar (and Disney animation in general) image. Box office wasn’t great but it had steady holds suggesting good word of mouth and then did well on streaming. It also wasn’t viewed as having much of any controversy and seemed to be Disney getting “back to basics” in storytelling.

And my point there is that I hope Elemental provides an incentive to make more (original) movies like it.

hopemax

Glad Inside Out 2 did so well. We saw it courtesy of a D23 preview on Tuesday and really enjoyed it.

But what timeline are we in, that Soul would have done well in theaters in Nov or December *2020?* It wasn’t on Disney+ because execs thought streaming had arrived. Wonder Woman 1984’s box office numbers did not demonstrate people were so eager to get out of the house, they would be motivated to sit in a theater for 2 hours. Certainly not in cities like New York, Seattle, LA, etc.

Miss Rori

There hasn't been a big family-oriented film in theaters since Kung Fu Panda 4 and that was back in March; IF and The Garfield Movie lasting as long as they have in theaters is largely because they were at least catering to that market. The first film is beloved, the marketing campaign was robust, being a sequel there was built-in name recognition, it opened over a holiday weekend where families were going to be looking for stuff to do, and Disney didn't lift the review embargo until as late as they could (so the "good, but not as good as..." reviews didn't do any damage, learning from their mistakes with Elemental, Indiana Jones 5, and Wish).

Now -- Disney releasing fewer films a year helping? I don't think that's sustainable in the long run, and if that had been the case, Wish would have been a lot bigger last Christmas. That this movie has opened so well may augur success for Moana 2 come Thanksgiving -- though, unless Universal blinks, it opens directly against Wicked Part One, which could be a real competitor. But it isn't a free pass for the hopes they've pinned on stuff like Deadpool & Wolverine or Mufasa - The Lion King, much less a weak 2025 lineup (so far: two Marvel movies, Elio, the Snow White remake, Tron: Ares, and Zootopia 2).

Animaniac93-98

I'll have to agree with others that Inside Out not being an oversaturated franchise helped it too.

Yes, it's a sequel, but the first movie is almost 10 years old (that was fast!), and we haven't been overloaded with Inside Out content since.

The break was enough for interest to build and be satisfied by a sequel that was actually good.

Good Dinosaur? Only really Lightyear since. Onward is a bit hard to call. The studio has an amazing track record.
I feel onward could have been a decent hit had it not been for the pandemic. In the USA, it made in a week the same money wish made in its whole run.

Releasing it in Disney Plus in April definitely hurt it in the long run, cause at that point everyone was just consuming content and binging whatever they could find so it didn't feel like a big event compared to the other pixar movies.

Disney Analyst

I'll have to agree with others that Inside Out not being an oversaturated franchise helped it too.

Yes, it's a sequel, but the first movie is almost 10 years old (that was fast!), and we haven't been overloaded with Inside Out content since.

The break was enough for interest to build and be satisfied by a sequel that was actually good.

I also think Inside Out has had a lot of time to grow on people over the years, I remember not everyone loving it when it first came out, but these days it seems everyone has a soft spot for it.

Magenta Panther

Updated numbers for Inside Out 2 from Disney: estimated $155 million domestic and $295 million worldwide.

"The Pixar Animation Studios film — which brings audiences back into the mind of Riley as she deals with a host of new emotions as a teenager — made an estimated $155 million at the domestic box office this weekend.

That makes Inside Out 2 not only the biggest box office opening of the year, but the second-biggest animated box office opening of all time domestically behind another Pixar film, 2018’s Incredibles 2.

As for the global total of Inside Out 2, it has made $295 million worldwide so far."

More at the link below.

Inside Out 2's budget is reportedly between 175-200 million. Since it probably needs at least 400 million to break even, and it's made $295 million worldwide so far, and there are a lot more key countries that it hasn't yet premiered in...I doubt the folks at Pixar are sweating over it making a profit. It's a true blockbuster, and, best of all, it's a creation that isn't derived from an Iger acquisition but was created from whole cloth - an original. That's the kind of creativity that harkens back to Pixar's Golden Age. I couldn't be happier that it's doing so well.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
175-200 million budget? Seems Disney hasn't managed to bring the costs down yet on their movies.
It was already under production when they started to reduce budgets, so likely is one of the last with a higher budget.

Also Pixar has already stated their budgets include administrative costs which other studios don't count in their budgets. So I would guess its actual budget is likely closer to $150M.

CinematicFusion

There was a demand to revisit the universe and the characters. My kids actually wanted to go to the theater to watch it.

DKampy

I have to wonder if waiting 10 years helped…. Some of the kids who saw the first one could be 20 something’s now and feeling nostalgic

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom