Innoventions West to Close in May?

RSoxNo1

Wow. Another official announcement without a press conference, it is as if the entire paradigm that folks mock on these boards is starting to change.

Looking forward to hearing the gossip on what they really have planned vs what our speculation has been.
Very rarely does Disney put out a press release saying they're removing something, this tells me that they are not yet ready to announce a replacement (or have no intention of replacing them).

Clamman73

I down with some hot lumberjacks with corny jokes.
I was thinking more like the LumberJack Feud Dinner Show featuring the LumberJills
lumberjill.jpg

CDavid

Looking forward to hearing the gossip on what they really have planned vs what our speculation has been.

The problem - and justifiable source of our concerns - is that no replacement attractions/exhibits have been announced. There is nothing stopping Disney from closing the building for "refurbishment" and then letting it sit empty for several years or more. Indeed, that's happened before, hence the skepticism.

I was thinking more like the LumberJack Feud Dinner Show featuring the LumberJills
View attachment 87547

Hmm.....think I may know how to improve that show over in the Canadian pavilion. ;)

Rutt

I understand your point, but considering where I live and that the distance & money to travel to WDW is already a lot before even arriving... Not to mention many come to me because of my knowledge of the parks, it's hard for me to encourage someone to spend their money right now on something that is less than stellar. And I even tell them, "hey in two years some big improvements and expansions are coming which will give you more bang for buck, but right now personally I'd do something else." Now, if they still seem like they want to go, then I gladly give every tip and help I can to them.
Then I hope they ask someone else as well. Even with all the things you think used to be better, they would still get better bang for their buck at WDW than nearly anywhere else on the planet, and if it's the only trip they ever make down there, you've just denied their children an experience that they would never forget.
While for me, Disney is good but not what it once was, for my family it is heaven on earth, and for nearly every first timer we have ever brought along, it's been the best trip they've ever taken.

Brad Bishop

I hope that they put something a little more interesting in. I've always been disappointed by Communicore/Innoventions stuff.

As a teenager I it always sounded like a great place for science, computer, technology, etc. interactive demonstrations. Whenever I'd go in there, while I didn't think they were bad, they seemed "just OK".

To contrast, I've been to a number of different "hands-on" science museums in various locations over the years and some are really well done and make you think. Others are more simple demonstrations and, while they do show you the basics, you're sort of left with, "I kind of already knew that.."

It's a bit like how Journey into the Imagination always leave me wanting because it's just parlor tricks when it seems like "imagination" ought to be crazy awesome because there's no limits.

Some ideas for the space (like anyone will implement any of these - dare to dream):
- (East side) An omnimover ride through the history of computers. Something kind of like Space Ship Earth but, instead of focusing on communication, focus on computers. Start with the Abacus and end with the current smart phones / mobile devices (for now - update in 5 years)
- (West side) A boat ride (like The Land) but taking you through the history of medicine. It could start with ancient man discovering the different plants and their effects (food, medicinal, poison).

Of course, with that being said this is the most likely attraction (Think TLM for both of these):
- (West) Elsa - Omnimover ride taking you through Frozen from Elsa's perspective.
- (East) Anna - Omnimover ride taking you through Frozen from Anna's perspective.

I await your angry letters.

jmmc

I think one problem with the area working anymore is that people aren't as impressed lately about technology. When I was at Communicore in the early days, back in the '80s, the internet wasn't around, and touch screens and video chats, etc, where exciting to see. That whole area was actually busy. But we now have all of that and people just get used to it and move on. Me, I'm still impressed with the fingerprint reader on my iphone. :)

Kitty17794

I wish they would stick the Big Hero 6 science fair in here. Doubtful, unfortunately. I've heard quiet rumblings about something Inside Out related though, and the area would certainly work for that....

Just so long as it doesn't end up being empty space.

SirLink

I think one problem with the area working anymore is that people aren't as impressed lately about technology. When I was at Communicore in the early days, back in the '80s, the internet wasn't around, and touch screens and video chats, etc, where exciting to see. That whole area was actually busy. But we now have all of that and people just get used to it and move on. Me, I'm still impressed with the fingerprint reader on my iphone. :)

People are impressed with technology ... people aren't impressed with learning how to save exhibits and how to put out fires. You could make some pretty relevant experiences long lasting exhibits if you focused on say holograms/vr/the internet/wearables - talk about the history and have a future hands on area. Get MS/Facebook/Google/Nike to sponsor them.

CDavid

Just how much stuff can they close and still honestly have an Innoventions?

Either there must be something new in the offing, or else it sure seems to be part of a plan to make Future World more like Hollywood Studios: Lots of closed attractions and shuttered buildings, with the park kept going mostly by life support (and cheaper multi-day ticket prices). Seriously - what are they thinking???

I think one problem with the area working anymore is that people aren't as impressed lately about technology. When I was at Communicore in the early days, back in the '80s, the internet wasn't around, and touch screens and video chats, etc, where exciting to see. That whole area was actually busy. But we now have all of that and people just get used to it and move on

The Internet and smart phones aren't the be-all end-all of technological development. There will always be new products and developments to showcase. However, it may well be necessary for The Walt Disney Company to actually invest in regular updates and changes to the showcased technologies and presentations; Carefully select what you want to feature based on actual innovation and interest to park guests rather than merely featuring whatever displays a corporation is willing to pay for.

Regardless, the net, cell/smart phones, video chats and the like are all just communication technologies. There are plenty of other exciting areas to explore (transportation, etc.), but again, the most innovative and interesting exhibits are not necessarily the ones with a corporate sponsor.

jmmc

As maybe was already mentioned here, I do think the sponsorship thing is a big problem, too. I think at one point, when Epcot and maybe even Disney in general was seen as a "World's Fair," the corporations saw it as really good PR to be involved. But for whatever reason, that seems not to be happening anymore.

Wikkler

IMO, the last thing Epcot needs is another restaurant.

Ok, the last thing Epcot needs is another empty pavilion.
The second to last thing Epcot needs is another restaurant. World Showcase is basically nothing but restaurants and merch locations. There are plenty of places for people to eat.

Future World needs attractions.
Just repurpose the restaurants in WS into something else, and make some more restaurants in Future World. Off the top of my head, I can only think of 5 restaurants in Future World, an area the size of Magic Kingdom.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom