Indiana Jones Land?

Skibum1970

Oh yes. Bob's favorite thing to do in the parks - Rip and replace.

This line from The Last Jedi sums up how they feel about the parks: "Let the past die. Kill it if you have to. That's the only way to become what you were meant to be." Ms. Kennedy made it clear how she felt (and probably why the new Indy film may be a stinker) and that attitude is present in how management is approaching the parks.

Rosso11

Couple of hundred critics disagree

That doesn’t mean the audience won’t like it

But the plot sounds like another Disney misfire with powers they don’t understand…and it looks awful in the promotional material.
So far only 23 critics have given it a negative review but only a handful have even seen it yet. It will be interesting to see if critics outside of Cannes have the same response, then of course what the audience thinks. If anything this might just lower people’s expectations going in which might not be the worst thing if it’s not a straight out disaster.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So far only 23 critics have given it a negative review but only a handful have even seen it yet. It will be interesting to see if critics outside of Cannes have the same response, then of course what the audience thinks. If anything this might just lower people’s expectations going in which might not be the worst thing if it’s not a straight out disaster.
The problem with critical reviews is they tend to shake out the same almost out of gate. Europe is traditionally very “Lucas friendly”…
So if it’s 49% with 20…it’s gonna be pretty close with 200

Watch it play

Bad movies don’t get misinterpreted

Movielover

This line from The Last Jedi sums up how they feel about the parks: "Let the past die. Kill it if you have to. That's the only way to become what you were meant to be." Ms. Kennedy made it clear how she felt (and probably why the new Indy film may be a stinker) and that attitude is present in how management is approaching the parks.
It's really sad that people still think that's what the theme of that movie was. Shows a complete lack of comprehension and understanding of the story. Only focus on what the misguided villain says and not the conversation by the heroes later on that revokes it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It's really sad that people still think that's what the theme of that movie was. Shows a complete lack of comprehension and understanding of the story. Only focus on what the misguided villain says and not the conversation by the heroes later on that revokes it.
Your stance would have validity if the entire franchise didn’t have an established Ethos, Logos and Pathos.

Which it did to literally the tune of hundreds of billions of entertainment and product sales.

You don’t “come at the king and miss”

And that’s what Iger and his she-hench did and they will not admit they didn’t get it. They changed for the sake of change and nobody asked….

…here Endeth it.

Movielover

Your stance would have validity if the entire franchise didn’t have an established Ethos, Logos and Pathos.

So what you are saying is that they should have just told the same story over and over again? just repeat what had been done before and never take any chances or create new tales? How... boring.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So what you are saying is that they should have just told the same story over and over again? just repeat what had been done before and never take any chances or create new tales? How... boring.
No…
You don’t reverse the tenants in an effort to follow “modern Hollywood”…and Mr. and Mrs. Hubris barreled right in.

Star Wars is a somewhat simplistic tale of traditional hero and villain tropes. It worked.

If you want intellectual stimulation…might I suggest the Shape of Water?

And they didn’t do “new tales” at all…they did a really obvious reboot/remake and then let the boy blunder go weird, backed by an awful story Group that was quietly FIRED right after. Under cover of night.

Last edited:

Movielover

Star Wars is a somewhat simplistic tale of traditional hero and villain tropes. It worked.
Right, which is why when Kylo, the villain, reached out to Rey, the protagonist, to bring her to his side by trying to destroy the good she knew, she refused because of her belief in the Jedi and in Luke. It was that belief, and the guidance by Yoda, that convinced Luke to look past his stumble and return to the conflict. Literally hero and villain tropes at work here.

Yoda said it best, "Pass on what you have learned. Strength. Mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."

That is the theme of the movie, but for some reason you and many others ignore it to simply focus on Kylo, once again the bad guy of the movie, trying to tear down Rey's viewpoint. There is so much good vs evil in this movie.

Eric M Blake

The problem with critical reviews is they tend to shake out the same almost out of gate. Europe is traditionally very “Lucas friendly”…
So if it’s 49% with 20…it’s gonna be pretty close with 200

Watch it play

Bad movies don’t get misinterpreted
Lot of movies these days have low critic scores, high audience scores...and a lot have high critic scores, low audience scores.

I'd say either is a sign of misinterpretation.

doctornick

Lot of movies these days have low critic scores, high audience scores...and a lot have high critic scores, low audience scores.

Low critic scores don't necessarily concern me regarding IJ, as it is the type of movie that critics aren't going to favor - a cynical sequel, produced to make money and capitalize on the good will of the franchise. If the film is done properly and honors the franchise well then it will be somewhat lighthearted and not take it self too seriously while still having a coherent plot and stakes, which won't go over well with critics who would prefer something more "meaningful".

The real proof will be in how the audience reacts because this will live and die by word of mouth. If the regular movie goers say "this was fun and if you like the classic IJ movies, you'll like it" and encourage others to go, it could do well at the box office. but if it is too silly like Crystal Skull or a cynical deconstruction of Jones' character then it could rapidly turn off potentially audience members.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Well there ls a disconnect between what the critics right and accuracy as they are heavily influenced by corporate

If Indy is clever fan service…the scores will flip

…but I doubt critics are trying to torpedo a Disney/LFL tentpole
It’s not good for their business

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Low critic scores don't necessarily concern me regarding IJ, as it is the type of movie that critics aren't going to favor - a cynical sequel, produced to make money and capitalize on the good will of the franchise. If the film is done properly and honors the franchise well then it will be somewhat lighthearted and not take it self too seriously while still having a coherent plot and stakes, which won't go over well with critics who would prefer something more "meaningful".

The real proof will be in how the audience reacts because this will live and die by word of mouth. If the regular movie goers say "this was fun and if you like the classic IJ movies, you'll like it" and encourage others to go, it could do well at the box office. but if it is too silly like Crystal Skull or a cynical deconstruction of Jones' character then it could rapidly turn off potentially audience members.
Oh really?

You want to see a 93% on a terrible “sequel” that is nearly unwatchable?

And that rating went down…it was an embarrassing 99% at release

I don’t generally disagree with your points…but there is heavy influence in these things

You think Bob didn’t work the phones here?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I invite everyone to read the reviews on the tomato meter

Even the “fresh” ones are 3/5 and negative

Not that it’s definitive…but the trend ain’t good

This doesn’t appear to be Mario

BlakeW39

Mario got a low RT score because it was a dumb movie without substance. I don't think that's the reason Indy is being critically panned. No, it looks like the same usual crap from Disney, more Star Wars Sequel Trilogy and MCU Phase 4. Just following that same trajectory.

So... it won't make money most likely... and... the WDC probably won't invest further in the IP because of that

Movielover

I invite everyone to read the reviews on the tomato meter

Even the “fresh” ones are 3/5 and negative

Not that it’s definitive…but the trend ain’t good

This doesn’t appear to be Mario

"It’s adventure, though, that everyone really wants from an Indiana Jones movie, and on that front it delivers..."

"There have been better Indiana Jones movies, but it’s good to see one more romping send-off for the character."

"James Mangold understands the ingredients fans hope for from an Indiana Jones adventure"

"When it works it's excellent, when it doesn't you still revel in companionship of old friends. "

"If this is the final Indiana Jones movie, as it most likely will be, it’s nice to see that they stuck the landing."

Yeah, it's all negative there, nothing positive... :rolleyes:

But wait I'm sorry, I thought we were supposed to ignore the critics and rotten tomatoes because they gave The Last Jedi a very positive score? so which is it, the critics are wrong because of their bad score or right because of a positive score? Wouldn't bad score from them be good in your opinion? Something smells like hypocrisy.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
"It’s adventure, though, that everyone really wants from an Indiana Jones movie, and on that front it delivers..."

"There have been better Indiana Jones movies, but it’s good to see one more romping send-off for the character."

"James Mangold understands the ingredients fans hope for from an Indiana Jones adventure"

"When it works it's excellent, when it doesn't you still revel in companionship of old friends. "

"If this is the final Indiana Jones movie, as it most likely will be, it’s nice to see that they stuck the landing."

Yeah, it's all negative there, nothing positive... :rolleyes:

But wait I'm sorry, I thought we were supposed to ignore the critics and rotten tomatoes because they gave The Last Jedi a very positive score? so which is it, the critics are wrong because of their bad score or right because of a positive score? Wouldn't bad score from them be good in your opinion? Something smells like hypocrisy.
Those are the best case scenarios…out of like 25 “positive”?

Nice parse…

Doesn’t matter what we say…we get to see it play really soon and then “truth” outweighs opinion. Something we oft struggle with here.

We’re currently struggling with that on Mermaid. The verdict has been rendered.

It may play like Maverick? Now it’s time for the people to cast their votes

Eric M Blake

Entrances can be moved. Parking lots built on. Parking garages added.

Below, the Yellow is the expansion pad within SWL. The purple are other expansion pads. The green is all 'back of house' that can be converted into park space.

Don't forget that everything from Walt Disney Presents to the former Ariel show to all or part of Launch Bay can be razed and repurposed.

[Thanks to @marni1971 for identifying the yellow and purple pads.]

View attachment 721524

And the Orange is an 'easy' expansion of SWL. And the Orange and Yellow together can be converted into park space.

View attachment 721525

True, but it'd kinda require a massive change in the park's layout, considering where the "Main street" is, etc.

That said, I like what you're saying at the end--more on that in a second.

Oh I actually agree with you on the green, but don't let Walter see that. 😂

Yeah, the yellow is pretty much inevitably gonna be a third Star Wars ride. The purples ARE possibilities, absolutely. I especially like the one between B&TB and Fantasmic.

Now see, looking at the orange, I can REALLY see that as ripe for expansion. Especially since, again, that part of the parking lot is farthest away from the entrance.

The woods in the yellow, then, can easily fill the parking lot needs, especially following a major park expansion like the Orange.

I love it.👍
Here's something: I was reading up on the RCID Comprehensive Plan document the "suitability" map is from...and I found this:

Screenshot_20230608-105208_Samsung Notes.jpg

In other words, the "butterfly" area itself is looked at in-house as potential expansion area for DHS, rather than for the "easier" parallel park.

Screenshot_20230528-135258_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230604-220513_Maps.jpg

I mean...I'd be VERY curious about the exact way they'd work around World Drive. But the fact that the document points directly to that possibility is *quite* interesting.

Last edited:

cranbiz

Here's something: I was reading up on the RCID Comprehensive Plan document the "suitability" map is from...and I found this:

View attachment 722198

In other words, the "butterfly" area itself is looked at in-house as potential expansion area for DHS, rather than for the "easier" parallel park.

View attachment 722199View attachment 722200

I mean...I'd be VERY curious about how they'd work around World Drive. But the fact that the document points directly to that possibility is *quite* interesting.
A pedestrian walkway themed as ................................................................................... wait for it ...........................................
a pedestrian walkway!

Eric M Blake

A pedestrian walkway themed as ................................................................................... wait for it ...........................................
a pedestrian walkway!
Jokes aside, that's pretty "obvious" (be it over or under the road).😂

Probably have to be kinda wide, of course, since we're talking about visitors IN the park, not simply folks who are park hopping.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom