Indiana Jones Land?

Bocabear

Could the Dinosaur ride system be moved? Or would it just be like starting from scratch? Could they feasibly build a new building and move the works over to Hollywood Studios? Or would that cost as much as starting from scratch?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The question must be asked, then: Why did this exception even happen? What was it about THESE circumstances that pushed Iger out of his "Blue" comfort zone?

(Incidentally, I actually appreciate that Pandora wasn't rushed. If a delay is necessary for quality, it's by all means acceptable.)
Because the potter development happened after a failed Disney negotiation…and that tarnished his “record”…as he perceived it. He believed he had a “perfect record” until then.

And he also had no real parks experience at that time. He was lauding his carsland and forget to realize that the big dog was stagnant since he took over in Orlando. That was true.

All the “great development” Orlando…started a ridiculous 13 years ago and just finishing…was to halt stagnation and give Iger an ego boost for his retirement.

Now the stagnation cycle has started again…already into it. But that wouldn’t be a problem for his ego. Whatever yutz after.

See…that’s making a point. Agree, disagree…but I’m making it.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Could the Dinosaur ride system be moved? Or would it just be like starting from scratch? Could they feasibly build a new building and move the works over to Hollywood Studios? Or would that cost as much as starting from scratch?
It’s 25 years old…what’s there to “salvage”?

And they’re not getting an Indy clone. That ship sailed when they built dinosaur

IJA is old now too…why replicate it?

Last edited:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
The question must be asked, then: Why did this exception even happen? What was it about THESE circumstances that pushed Iger out of his "Blue" comfort zone?

(Incidentally, I actually appreciate that Pandora wasn't rushed. If a delay is necessary for quality, it's by all means acceptable.)
Because Bob's ego took a big hit with Potter going to Universal (because Rowling "didn't trust Disney" with it) and he couldn't accept that.

Eric M Blake

Could the Dinosaur ride system be moved? Or would it just be like starting from scratch?
Kinda. I mean, rides have been moved before (like when Walt moved the World's Fair stuff to Disneyland), but it really depends on the situation.
Could they feasibly build a new building and move the works over to Hollywood Studios? Or would that cost as much as starting from scratch?
Considering how little space there is left in DHS, I doubt it. Plus, it doesn't exactly fit the theme of the park.

Bocabear

Kinda. I mean, rides have been moved before (like when Walt moved the World's Fair stuff to Disneyland), but it really depends on the situation.

Considering how little space there is left in DHS, I doubt it. Plus, it doesn't exactly fit the theme of the park.
Well the thought would be to theme it to Indiana Jones, ditch the dinosaurs, and put it basically where the stunt show currently sits... With the newer technology available these days with digital mapping, practical sets and animatronics, they could create a very cinematic adventure for Indy...and something new and fresh using an older ride system...as a thought. They could also do an Indiana Jones and the Temple Du Peril from Disneyland Paris, but do it indoors so again you could really create a very cinematic environment... I thought they had cleared out a lot of that backstage area when they were thinking of putting star Wars land there...before the scale increased?

Eric M Blake

Because Bob's ego took a big hit with Potter going to Universal (because Rowling "didn't trust Disney" with it) and he couldn't accept that.
Fair point. And I find it funny Iger seemingly didn't learn from her reason. (Granted, he does seem to be giving James Cameron carte blanche on his franchise, but beyond that...)

That said, we have a data point about his ego. And the thing is, with the current state of the company post-Chapek, a case could be made that his ego currently IS on the line again, as he's GOT to get it out of that hole ASAP.

Granted, the situation is different, but again, I wager Epic Universe will make it worse for him.

Last edited:

Eric M Blake

Well the thought would be to theme it to Indiana Jones, ditch the dinosaurs, and put it basically where the stunt show currently sits... With the newer technology available these days with digital mapping, practical sets and animatronics, they could create a very cinematic adventure for Indy...and something new and fresh using an older ride system...as a thought. They could also do an Indiana Jones and the Temple Du Peril from Disneyland Paris, but do it indoors so again you could really create a very cinematic environment... I thought they had cleared out a lot of that backstage area when they were thinking of putting star Wars land there...before the scale increased?
Personally I'd prefer the latter location, mainly because I hate to see the stunt show go. I was disappointed enough when the Great Movie Ride was replaced with what can best be described as Mickey's Wild Ride. Sad to see the car chase show get axed too, but it is what it is.

Eric M Blake

Because the potter development happened after a failed Disney negotiation…and that tarnished his “record”…as he perceived it. He believed he had a “perfect record” until then.

And he also had no real parks experience at that time. He was lauding his carsland and forget to realize that the big dog was stagnant since he took over in Orlando. That was true.

All the “great development” Orlando…started a ridiculous 13 years ago and just finishing…was to make stagnation and give Iger an ego boost for his retirement.

Now the stagnation cycle has started again…already into it. But that wouldn’t be a problem for his ego. Whatever yutz after.

See…that’s making a point. Agree, disagree…but I’m making it.
And I appreciate that fair point, with gratitude.👍

(Gotta say, BTW...with all the issues regarding Iger's ego, I'm very curious what Nelson Peltz resuming his stock purchasing will do to, let's say, "motivate" him....)

Last edited:

Phicinfan

I was wondering the same, IF this were to happen, does Dinosaur get gutted like Energy in Epcot and GMR in DHS? I don't see them taking that ride as rough as it is and try to make a family friendly Zootopia run on it.

MagicHappens1971

I was wondering the same, IF this were to happen, does Dinosaur get gutted like Energy in Epcot and GMR in DHS? I don't see them taking that ride as rough as it is and try to make a family friendly Zootopia run on it.
If this were to happen, I personally don’t see them taking the ride system out. I’m sure they can tame down the EMVs.

Phicinfan

They’ve already been toned down once, so they could make them even more tame. I’d just leave Dinosaur as-is and just fix the damn effects.
If this were to happen, I personally don’t see them taking the ride system out. I’m sure they can tame down the EMVs.
I am not sure that doesn't mean it won't be gutted. Again, recent history is to rip and run new. Just saying.....

Eric M Blake

Honestly, considering how isolated it is stylistically even from the rest of Dinoland (while frankly being the only real reason to go to that part of AK in the first place)...I'd imagine most people would barely bat an eye if they change the rest of Dinoland into whatever, while keeping the ride as is.

Doubtful that'd happen, but still.

Eric M Blake

Just for the whole Dinoland crowd… I think Primeval Whirl was demolished more so because of general maintenance issues. The company that made the ride dissolved, so their best way to get parts would be to scrap them. Only… do you really want to scrap parts for a ride that kids have died and been injured on (at other parks). They’ve been wanting to kill that silly carnival area for a while, and I think that one of the tracks having unrepairable (or at least, not easily repaired) issues just caused Primeval Whirl to get demolished and prepped for redevelopment.

Will anything happen? I don’t know. BUT, something will eventually happen, and it’s better to have a crater than a rotting ride at AK.
Makes a lot of sense. Sad to hear it's all because of loss of the manufacturer.

Well...here's to "something."

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Just for the whole Dinoland crowd… I think Primeval Whirl was demolished more so because of general maintenance issues. The company that made the ride dissolved, so their best way to get parts would be to scrap them. Only… do you really want to scrap parts for a ride that kids have died and been injured on (at other parks). They’ve been wanting to kill that silly carnival area for a while, and I think that one of the tracks having unrepairable (or at least, not easily repaired) issues just caused Primeval Whirl to get demolished and prepped for redevelopment.

Will anything happen? I don’t know. BUT, something will eventually happen, and it’s better to have a crater than a rotting ride at AK.
I 100% think it was operational/mechanical cost…
Remember that area was an emergency/thrown together in the first place.

But also - just because it’s gone, doesn’t mean there’s the slightest intention to replace. The customers don’t demand replacements. So why give them?

Phicinfan

But also - just because it’s gone, doesn’t mean there’s the slightest intention to replace. The customers down demand replacements. So why give them?
Here's where we differ. I do believe there are SOME in Disney working on or hoping for a replacement, but I will grant you those who sign the checks are not them.

Eric M Blake

But also - just because it’s gone, doesn’t mean there’s the slightest intention to replace. The customers down demand replacements. So why give them?
Well, not verbally, maybe, but the fact that barely anyone goes to that part of the park anymore is like a silent demand. Unlike, say, Camp Minnie Mickey, it had a nice heyday of popularity.

Assuming a silent demand is worth anything.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom