Indiana Jones Land?

DisneyFanatic12

Just for the whole Dinoland crowd… I think Primeval Whirl was demolished more so because of general maintenance issues. The company that made the ride dissolved, so their best way to get parts would be to scrap them. Only… do you really want to scrap parts for a ride that kids have died and been injured on (at other parks). They’ve been wanting to kill that silly carnival area for a while, and I think that one of the tracks having unrepairable (or at least, not easily repaired) issues just caused Primeval Whirl to get demolished and prepped for redevelopment.

Will anything happen? I don’t know. BUT, something will eventually happen, and it’s better to have a crater than a rotting ride at AK.

Eric M Blake

anyways with the Indy stuff... don't count on it. short term I agree with others that investment in DHS will be minimal. They 'gave it their all'... and current DHS is what Bob's 'all' looks like. Pretty pathetic really

but even further out, Dial of Destiny is about to be a turd, and because of that I doubt WDC will invest substantially the IP for the foreseeable future. Once again, they "gave it their all".... and it was terrible, as usual

Thanks Kathy! 😃
Frankly I'd be very surprised if James Mangold, the director of LOGAN, could possibly make a bad Indy film. But that's just me.

Phicinfan

You're REALLY arguing all over the place, man. I don't have the SLIGHTEST idea what you're trying to get at, here.

I mean...by your own argument, Disney's got a BIG motivation to boost its parks right NOW, because of Universal Orlando's incoming Epic Universe.

So what are you arguing they're gonna do?
Here is where the argument falls, Disney may not feel they have to respond to Epic Universe. They didn't respond right away to Potter.

Eric M Blake

Here is where the argument falls, Disney may not feel they have to respond to Epic Universe. They didn't respond right away to Potter.
I dunno.... I suspect all the talk about future investments in the parks is something of a response.

And as was said elsewhere, the extent of that may depend on how successful Epic Universe turns out to be. So the response may not be "right away," but it's certainly "in mind."

Phicinfan

I dunno.... I suspect all the talk about future investments in the parks is something of a response.

And as was said elsewhere, the extent of that may depend on how successful Epic Universe turns out to be. So the response may not be "right away," but it's certainly "in mind."
Here again I disagree. I think all the "talk" you are seeing is Iger trying to get past the mistakes and bad tasting decisions his predecessor/replacement Chapek made. Please note they don't HAVE to build, as they can always say FL is locking us down OR Economy has shifted to recession. Its not like this hasn't happened over and over again at WDW.

Disney won't admit it has to react to Uni. They never do. The only focus I can see short term is finish out Epcot and then complete Tiana. Post that I have to agree with @Sirwalterraleigh and wait to see actual Shovels working.

As for Dinoland, you tell me when they fill Stitch in MK and Animation Courtyard at DHS and I will tell you Moana or Zootopia is coming to AK

doctornick

Frankly I'd be very surprised if James Mangold, the director of LOGAN, could possibly make a bad Indy film. But that's just me.

So, ironically, it is Logan that gives me pause regarding Dial of Destiny. Not that there is anything wrong with Logan as a film (I personally didn't like it, but personal preference and all) but the tone of that film would be completely wrong for Indiana Jones and would really turn off fans if DoD is anything like that. I'm not expecting a problem necessarily and Mangold has done more "fun" works (he directed Kate & Leopold after all) but IJ certainly needs a level of whimsy and wonder to capture the franchise and I hope it does.

Eric M Blake

So, ironically, it is Logan that gives me pause regarding Dial of Destiny. Not that there is anything wrong with Logan as a film (I personally didn't like it, but personal preference and all) but the tone of that film would be completely wrong for Indiana Jones and would really turn off fans if DoD is anything like that. I'm not expecting a problem necessarily and Mangold has done more "fun" works (he directed Kate & Leopold after all) but IJ certainly needs a level of whimsy and wonder to capture the franchise and I hope it does.
That's fair, but still.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
About Logan?
No…about Indy: the search for more money

I’m a big fan of mangold. I think 3:10 to Yuma was a fantastic modern western…

But you cannot trust dwarf plaza in burbank or 1 yoda tower in the presidio to make a good movie.

They simply refuse to do what’s necessary.

So that’s the real problem.

Eric M Blake

Here again I disagree. I think all the "talk" you are seeing is Iger trying to get past the mistakes and bad tasting decisions his predecessor/replacement Chapek made. Please note they don't HAVE to build, as they can always say FL is locking us down OR Economy has shifted to recession. Its not like this hasn't happened over and over again at WDW.

Disney won't admit it has to react to Uni. They never do. The only focus I can see short term is finish out Epcot and then complete Tiana. Post that I have to agree with @Sirwalterraleigh and wait to see actual Shovels working.

As for Dinoland, you tell me when they fill Stitch in MK and Animation Courtyard at DHS and I will tell you Moana or Zootopia is coming to AK
Not admit, certainly. But certainly he's got pressure to deliver, especially with the stock struggling like it is.

But yeah...let's see when they start breaking ground.👍

Skibum1970

No…about Indy: the search for more money

I’m a big fan of mangold. I think 3:10 to Yuma was a fantastic modern western…

But you cannot trust dwarf plaza in burbank or 1 yoda tower in the presidio to make a good movie.

They simply refuse to do what’s necessary.

So that’s the real problem.

That was what I was just preparing to post. The requirements coming from "on high" could have a very detrimental impact on the finished product. I still wonder how much the Star Wars sequel trilogies were impacted by that as opposed to the director decisions.

Eric M Blake

That was what I was just preparing to post. The requirements coming from "on high" could have a very detrimental impact on the finished product. I still wonder how much Star Wars sequel trilogies were impacted in by that as opposed to the directors.
That's fair, but it's not like Mangold hasn't had to deal with studio demands before.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That was what I was just preparing to post. The requirements coming from "on high" could have a very detrimental impact on the finished product. I still wonder how much the Star Wars sequel trilogies were impacted by that as opposed to the director decisions.
Based on what has slowly leaked out after?

Give or take 95%

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

Bob's a big believer in the Blue Ocean strategy. Nothing he's done, outside of Pandora (which took 6-7 years from announcement to open), has been in response to anything Uni has built. Ever.

There will be no Indy land. I'd wager a large amount of worthless, pyramid-scheme "electronically-mined coins" on it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
…since you brought it up

…but what the Theorists often leave out is the core belief that your product HAS no competition. It’s fundamental. And leads to mistakes. It’s not that it’s “irrelevant”…it doesn’t exist. Sounds like an IP clown, huh?

This is the foremost expert on it:

1686065305764.jpeg

Eric M Blake

…since you brought it up

…but what the Theorists often leave out is the core belief that your product HAS no competition. It’s fundamental. And leads to mistakes. It’s not that it’s “irrelevant”…it doesn’t exist. Sounds like an IP clown, huh?

This is the foremost expert on it:

View attachment 721682
I eagerly say "Fair point"--HOWEVER...my point stands about the contradiction with recent arguments you've made:
No…[Pandora] was cause universal had a major IP coup/addition and Bob was flat footed…and it worked under the circumstances.
Thus, by your own admission: Iger may as a rule reassure himself with the Blue Ocean strategy...but when push comes to shove, by your own admission, he gets especially motivated by competition like the above.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I eagerly say "Fair point"--HOWEVER...my point stands about the contradiction with recent arguments you've made:
Frankly, my dear…I haven’t seen you make a point yet. What you’ve done - I think because it’s incoherent - is take Disney pr statements from last year and some rumors propogated on forums/fan sites and present them
As executed plans.

That’s not a point. It’s an echo. I’m not sure how many different people can tell you gently to dig deeper? The list is getting long. You even have @Phicinfan doing it…and we used to have friendly wagers on how Much coming out of WDI is crap?

Now…5th park. Go!!
Thus, by your own admission: Iger may as a rule reassure himself with the Blue Ocean strategy...but when push comes to shove, by your own admission, he gets especially motivated by competition like the above.
Iger is ego driven and blue ocean feeds right to that. He is opposed to responses because he loses control of the narrative.

Nobody on earth believes Turning dak over to Cameron and Rohde wasn’t a capitulation/response to potter. But he still would not admit it.

Cult of personality.

Last edited:

Eric M Blake

Bob's a big believer in the Blue Ocean strategy. Nothing he's done, outside of Pandora (which took 6-7 years from announcement to open), has been in response to anything Uni has built. Ever.

There will be no Indy land. I'd wager a large amount of worthless, pyramid-scheme "electronically-mined coins" on it.
The question must be asked, then: Why did this exception even happen? What was it about THESE circumstances that pushed Iger out of his "Blue" comfort zone?

(Incidentally, I actually appreciate that Pandora wasn't rushed. If a delay is necessary for quality, it's by all means acceptable.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom