Indiana Jones Land?

jt04

Yea I'm getting really tired of hearing folks say "Indiana Jones in AK. Yes."

1). Dinosaur is a fantastic and unique ride that can't be found anywhere else.
2). Indiana Jones doesn't scream "Animal Kingdom" like at all
3). Who in their right mind would be opposed to his own land in HS where it makes the most sense?
4). If anything, people should be wanting an expansion/revamp of Dinosaurs in AK, while keeping the Dinosaur ride.

Indy takes place all over the globe and mostly in outdoor remote settings. The natural world is a character of its own in the franchise. Sounds like DAK.

DHS is a stylized city setting that is very specifically fixed. Not like DAK.

Of course Imagineering could make either location work well. Especially using flight simulators at the studios. Either ST or new ones. The parks timeline fits perfectly.

DAK doesn't have to give up Dinosaur or Dinoland to Indy. There is plenty of space elsewhere in the park. The could even adapt the river rapids and give that attraction some meaning to guests.

Just my opinion.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
The entire building would have to be gutted. Even though the tracks are similar (Dinosaur lacks the Mummy Room segment of track to make room for the first Carno AA). The structure and makeup of the building is different, meaning set pieces can not just be simply copy and pasted over without gutting the building. It would be cheaper to just build a new ride and in the process not destroy a unique ride. (Yes I really like Dinosaur).

I love pointing out the last (?) remaining mention of CTX to my kids while walking through Dinoland, plus the CTX mention in the load area. 😀 It’s a very good ride.

britain

Wanted to bump this thread now that casting and filming for Indy 5 is kicking off. Time to dust this rumor off to see if there's any churn with it... Seeing that the Indy stunt show may never turn back on, I think it's prime time to either repurpose that area (ain't gonna happen, too much of a bottleneck over there for SWGE), or start the overlay on Dinosaur(!) and the craptastic carnival park.

Put this thread to bed. Indy 5 will simply put a nail in the coffin of the franchise. (Until about 5 or so years after Harrison Ford dies, and then reboot-a-rama.)

rle4lunch

Put this thread to bed. Indy 5 will simply put a nail in the coffin of the franchise. (Until about 5 or so years after Harrison Ford dies, and then reboot-a-rama.)
I'm holding out hope. Maybe this one not being tainted by Lucas' "vision", will redeem the series..

ppete1975

If they were going to do an Indy water ride, then using the Shanghai POTC tech would be the perfect fit (as opposed to something like a Splash style flume ride). High capacity, can allow for a decent amount of excitement while still being family friendly and would finally add a water ride to DHS. Combine that with a higher thrilled ride like a clone of IJA or even a coaster like the one in Paris and you have a nice small land. Depending on the setting (e.g. Amazon ride in South America, Nile ride in Egypt, etc) you could also have some good themed dining to correspond.

Regarding Star Tours, I see no reason to waste money to convert that to another theme. It's a great ride as is and money should be spent to expand the parks not change existing attractions (especially in DHS which needs much more total ride capacity). I'd rather see an Indy land placed in Animation Courtyard and then the Echo Lake area redeveloped into an OT Star Wars land keeping Star Tours as is. Just IMHO.
i agree you can keep star tours just the way it is.. esp with the atat and epcot village and the shop that comes with it.... but if it had to change pigs in space is the smartest play..... wouldnt cost much, more muppets and easy gags that you can change often ala diff rides like star tours.

UNCgolf

Not anymore it isn't.

Part of DHS still has that theme, but Galaxy's Edge and TSL are their own separate things that aren't remotely connected to the rest of the DHS aesthetic. Building an Indy area wouldn't be any different than those. The construction of TSL was the signal that they were no longer committed to the original Disney-MGM theme, and Galaxy's Edge doubled down on it.

Haymarket2008

Indy takes place all over the globe and mostly in outdoor remote settings. The natural world is a character of its own in the franchise. Sounds like DAK.

Of course Imagineering could make either location work well. Especially using flight simulators at the studios. Either ST or new ones. The parks timeline fits perfectly.

DAK doesn't have to give up Dinosaur or Dinoland to Indy. There is plenty of space elsewhere in the park. The could even adapt the river rapids and give that attraction some meaning to guests.

Just my opinion.

DHS has an anchor "land": the Hollywood that never was. It by no means dictates the parameters of its' other lands like DAK does. DHS is Hollywood with extensions into immersive film settings. Indy fits that (and Adventureland) far more than DAK ever would. There has to be a genuine reason for its existence in the conservation, nature and animal park. Indy doesn't have that.

ppete1975

I wonder how cheap the retheme of Dinosaur to Indy would be. You know they’ll cut the more expensive elements like the real fire.

I’m wondering what they could do that would replace the Dino carnival that would still be Indy themed. A little marketplace... a photo op? An Indy Coaster seems unlikely because it would be expensive and very close to Everest.
about the same as if they left dinosaur as is, and built the indy ride as new construction. I honestly feel they could have built guardians cheaper with new construction and left EE.

Haymarket2008

Not anymore it isn't.

Part of DHS still has that theme, but Galaxy's Edge and TSL are their own separate things that aren't remotely connected to the rest of the DHS aesthetic. Building an Indy area wouldn't be any different than those.

Correct. Even in the height of that park's heyday, the rest of the lands didn't "fit" into the Hollywood theme. And they were never supposed to, either.

UNCgolf

Correct. Even in the height of that park's heyday, the rest of the lands didn't "fit" into the Hollywood theme. And they were never supposed to, either.

Well there weren't really any separate lands in the original Disney-MGM (unless I'm forgetting something). Everything was themed like it was a soundstage or other backlot area rather than something that was supposed to be another place entirely like TSL and Galaxy's Edge. It was essentially golden age LA/Hollywood and then the rest of the park was supposed be you moving from the city into a studio backlot just like you can find in actual LA.

TrainsOfDisney

about the same as if they left dinosaur as is, and built the indy ride as new construction. I honestly feel they could have built guardians cheaper with new construction and left EE.
I should have clarified “cheap looking” - we all know that Disney can spend lots of money making something very nice look very cheap (Critter Carousel is the most obvious example I can think of).

I agree on energy adventure. Since the majority of the experience was on screens it sure seems like it would have been an easy attraction to update.

ppete1975

I should have clarified “cheap looking” - we all know that Disney can spend lots of money making something very nice look very cheap (Critter Carousel is the most obvious example I can think of).

I agree on energy adventure. Since the majority of the experience was on screens it sure seems like it would have been an easy attraction to update.
and what is really left from the original building thats now going to be pre show... 5-10 percent... the demo costs have to offset what ever money they "saved" and in the end of the day you are replacing one attraction for another instead of having 2

jt04

DHS has an anchor "land": the Hollywood that never was. It by no means dictates the parameters of its' other lands like DAK does. DHS is Hollywood with extensions into immersive film settings. Indy fits that (and Adventureland) far more than DAK ever would. There has to be a genuine reason for its existence in the conservation, nature and animal park. Indy doesn't have that.

Maybe I'm rationalizing the whole park, but Galaxy's Edge and TSL serve as sort of mystical portals where you suddenly wander into an actual movie in the Hollywood that never was and always will be.

Now that may or may not be Imagineering's intent and the future of the park but I think it works now.

So, yes, they could do the same for Indy with a simple transition. But the thought of getting on a plane in the setting of the classic Hollywood era, would be place setting as it was meant to be.

All that said, DAK could work well also because Imagineering exists.

For that matter, Adventureland is a natural fit.

Even World Showcase if they ever green light mythical lands.

Indiana Jones and the Mysterious Island of Buried Bling. 👑 🐍 Or something.

J4546

Buildout Indy in DHS, add the Indy ride from DL and a small coaster around/behind stage show, maybe relocate stage show behind the rides if need be. make that entire area a jungle enviroment full of trees, so that it blends into the star tours ride area seamlessly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom