Indiana Jones Adventure refurbishment

VJ

Rohde is also the guy that gave us this macaroni sculpture.
iu

I'd hate to see his expense accounts for his flight to Pandora.
the parasocial relationships between disney fans and executives/imagineers are really weird

_caleb

It was inspired by a movie that came out after the ride opened?
Yes. You realize that planning, artwork, and collaboration happen before the opening of an attraction and the release of a film, right?

The film started development in 2014. The,desecration decoration of DCA’s Tower of Terror was announced in 2016, started in Jan. 2017, and finished by May of that same year, 5 months before the film’s release.

Rich T

Imagineers—especially when dealing with cultures that aren’t their own—need to do research in order to know how to treat different aspects of the themes and contexts attractions are based on. Do you have any idea how difficult it is to treat a culture with respect when it’s foreign to you, but not necessarily foreign to your audience? And to avoid stereotypes, religious offenses, and social implications?

But you seem to think (without knowing how much money these might actually cost), that they cost too much.

The line between “too much detail that nobody will notice” and “not enough detail and everyone notices” lies somewhere, but (good) imagineers tend to fall on one side of that equation and shrewd businesspeople on the other. But we all know there’s a difference, and that’s why we’re on a WDW fan site and not one for Six Flags.

So you think that if they’d spent more money on the Yeti and less on the queue, the Yeti would work today? Or do you think that if they’d spent less on the queue, there would somehow be extra money laying around to spend toward fixing the Yeti?

And where do you think the imagineers got the inspiration (and artifacts) for Everest’s museum-quality queue? (Hint, it was a research trip.)

I do, too. But not only him—WDI has a long tradition of amazing artists. But takes like yours are why we don’t have more of them. Disney’s thinking is like yours expressed here: “Why do we need that level of detail when so few people notice?” “Why should we do our homework before cultural treatments?”
Despite my attempts to get across the fact that I simply think there is a great balance between detail and effectiveness when it comes to budget distribution, you keep taking everything I say to the negative extreme. My writing’s fault, most likely, but I really don’t like taking part in endless-loop arguments.

Bottom line for me: The end products speak for themselves. Everest ended up as a mediocre shadow of what it was meant to be (in my opinion), but it’s got a great queue. Pandora is a beautiful land with one incredible ride and one ride that’s at least unique if not quite good. And that’s not a bad whole picture for an overall wonderful park. There’s a happy medium between art and business that Disney was once the master of. I will always long for a return to that balance, but if forced to choose between two extremes, I would always pick Joe Land over Bob World.

Consumer

Yes. You realize that planning, artwork, and collaboration happen before the opening of an attraction and the release of a film, right?

The film started development in 2014. The,desecration decoration of DCA’s Tower of Terror was announced in 2016, started in Jan. 2017, and finished by May of that same year, 5 months before the film’s release.
I often criticize others for getting into stupid, endless debates on this website, so I won't be a hypocrite and do the same, but the presence of the tower in Thor 3 is a response to Mission Breakout, not the other way around. Everything regarding that attraction was ham-fisted and inorganic. There is no merit to it whatsoever. Honestly it's shocking such a piece of junk has been around for over five years now. Anyway, that's all I'll say on this matter.

_caleb

Despite my attempts to get across the fact that I simply think there is a great balance between detail and effectiveness when it comes to budget distribution, you keep taking everything I say to the negative extreme. My writing’s fault, most likely, but I really don’t like taking part in endless-loop arguments.

Bottom line for me: The end products speak for themselves. Everest ended up as a mediocre shadow of what it was meant to be (in my opinion), but it’s got a great queue. Pandora is a beautiful land with one incredible ride and one ride that’s at least unique if not quite good. And that’s not a bad whole picture for an overall wonderful park. There’s a happy medium between art and business that Disney was once the master of. I will always long for a return to that balance, but if forced to choose between two extremes, I would always pick Joe Land over Bob World.
Sorry. I didn’t intend for it to feel like an endless-loop argument. Appreciate the discussion with fellow fans. I’ll try to be more careful to interpret posts in a more positive light. Thanks.

_caleb

I often criticize others for getting into stupid, endless debates on this website, so I won't be a hypocrite and do the same, but the presence of the tower in Thor 3 is a response to Mission Breakout, not the other way around. Everything regarding that attraction was ham-fisted and inorganic. There is no merit to it whatsoever. Honestly it's shocking such a piece of junk has been around for over five years now. Anyway, that's all I'll say on this matter.
I’m sorry, I thought maybe you didn’t know the “official“ story. Turns out you did, you just disagree with it. Forgive me, I’m not doing so well on interpreting posts around here today.

mickEblu

Wow so Splash AND Indy down simultaneously for 3-5 months. Of course with MMRR opening it’s really only a loss of one E ticket operationally. Genie + loses some value though as you lose 2 big attractions, already have Roger down and MMRR will be an individual Lightning lane

Last edited:

waltography

I expected this after the brief 3 day closure. I assume that was mostly a research closure. Get a really good look into all the issues, develop a plan, and then get it all fixed in the new year.

They will want the ride shining bright before the new movie comes out.
Here's to hoping they'll pull a Hatbox Ghost in this refurbishment and reintroduce some long-broken effects; wouldn't even mind if they try to upsell it as part of Disney100 (though given the current track record I doubt they'd even get all the currently broken effects fixed before then).

Phroobar

I expected this after the brief 3 day closure. I assume that was mostly a research closure. Get a really good look into all the issues, develop a plan, and then get it all fixed in the new year.

They will want the ride shining bright before the new movie comes out.
Just like they did for the Country Bears movie.

Wow so Splash AND Indy down simultaneously for 3-5 months. Of course with MMRR opening it’s really only a loss of one E ticket operationally. Genie + loses some value though as you lose 2 big attractions, already have Roger down and MMRR will be an individual Lightning lane
No one goes on Indy anyway because it is broken.

Consumer

I'm an Indiana Jones shill. Even with the broken effects, it's still my favorite ride in the park. Could it be better? Yes, and I hope they fix it, especially the boulder, but I still love it anyway. As long as the music plays and the cars jerk you around over a pit of lava, it's a great ride.

mickEblu

Always seems to have a line. Splash and Indy are my top two attractions at the resort. TOT used to be my top, but sadly its gone. Even with Indy and Splash in less than favorable conditions, they are still very enjoyable for me and I ride them each visit.

Im usually one that's able to look past some broken effects but Splash and Indy in late 2022 is the worst show I've ever seen on a Disney attraction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom