Indiana Jones Adventure refurbishment

DznyRktekt

Original Poster
Anyone have insight into the refurbishment of Indiana Jones Adventure and the expected timeline? Youtubers have speculated that it could be longer than previous times offline due to many large scale effects malfunctioning or not working completely. The rolling boulder, etc.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Anyone have insight into the refurbishment of Indiana Jones Adventure and the expected timeline? Youtubers have speculated that it could be longer than previous times offline due to many large scale effects malfunctioning or not working completely. The rolling boulder, etc.

It is currently only on the refurbishment calendar for 3 days (November 14-16).

Rich T

I thought I read somewhere that they're having a hard time getting a hold of some parts they need to get it back in good working order. Apparently that's the case with several attractions.
“Sorry, folks, we’d love to fix these things, but we just caaaaan’t. It’s too haaaarrrrd. We don’t have the paaaarrrrts. Hey, Universal, stop building and fixing things, you’re making us look bad!” 😃

Nland316

I have a feeling the whole parts on backorder thing is just a smoke screen. Look at how many decades Splash Mountain has been broken. It hasn't been 100% since the late 90s.

Remember the days when Universal had all the broken dinosaurs and E.T. AAs?
When it comes down to it, with people paying as much money as they are to visit the parks, there is no excuse to not have everything in perfect shape.

If show issues are suffering due to supply/staffing issues, pricing should reflect accordingly. At least morally speaking…

Phroobar

It's like Disney has never heard of a 3D printer.

Historically a lot of things have been broken so long that they came up with cheap alternative b-modes to gloss over. For example, the moving doors. How hard could it have been to keep those doors opening correctly? It is just a chain driven door opener that your standard luxury housing community would have. Yet this thing drove maintenance bananas for years before giving up with a bad projection. Now the other chain driven walls have the same problem. Are we going to get projections around the boulder?

How hard is it to move a giant snake? ..... or a Yeti.

DrAlice

When it comes down to it, with people paying as much money as they are to visit the parks, there is no excuse to not have everything in perfect shape.

If show issues are suffering due to supply/staffing issues, pricing should reflect accordingly. At least morally speaking…
Right. Except, from Disney's perspective, the show can look like cr@p and guests will still pay top dollar to visit the parks. They have no incentive to spend the money to fix things. Apparently, guests don't care that everything is broken. At least, they don't care enough to complain and stop going. 🤷‍♀️

CaptinEO

I have a feeling the whole parts on backorder thing is just a smoke screen. Look at how many decades Splash Mountain has been broken. It hasn't been 100% since the late 90s.

Remember the days when Universal had all the broken dinosaurs and E.T. AAs?
Reminds me of the "rats chewed tram wires" excuse people said. Like repairing wires would take more than a few hours work.

shambolicdefending

“Sorry, folks, we’d love to fix these things, but we just caaaaan’t. It’s too haaaarrrrd. We don’t have the paaaarrrrts. Hey, Universal, stop building and fixing things, you’re making us look bad!” 😃
Is Universal not having supply chain and staffing issues? I really haven't been paying attention, but they'd be one of a rare few if they're not.

Professortango1

It's like Disney has never heard of a 3D printer.

Historically a lot of things have been broken so long that they came up with cheap alternative b-modes to gloss over. For example, the moving doors. How hard could it have been to keep those doors opening correctly? It is just a chain driven door opener that your standard luxury housing community would have. Yet this thing drove maintenance bananas for years before giving up with a bad projection. Now the other chain driven walls have the same problem. Are we going to get projections around the boulder?

How hard is it to move a giant snake? ..... or a Yeti.
I think the issue is that the effects have to work every 30 seconds for 16 hours a day. The more impressive and robust their effects get, the more maintenance issues they will have just due to the weight and strain those large effects wrestle with every minute of every day.

I perform magic and I have great effects that the reset isn't practical for walk around or multiple shows per day. Performing the same actions back to back to back takes its toll on props and effects.

Rich T

Is Universal not having supply chain and staffing issues? I really haven't been paying attention, but they'd be one of a rare few if they're not.
Right now, stuck in Florida, I can only compare WDW and UOR. Having visited both many times recently, all I can say as an observer is Universal’s doing a fantastic job of keeping their parks and attractions in great shape and WDW keeps disappointing me in that department. The CMs at both, however, have been awesome.

I think it comes down to each company‘s current priorities.

Professortango1

Right now, stuck in Florida, I can only compare WDW and UOR. Having visited both many times recently, all I can say as an observer is Universal’s doing a fantastic job of keeping their parks and attractions in great shape and WDW keeps disappointing me in that department. The CMs at both, however, have been awesome.

I think it comes down to each company‘s current priorities.

Let's also remember that USO has far fewer attractions than WDW and the attractions they do have do not have the same degree of tech. Forbidden Journey and River Adventure are the only attractions I can recall with a high level of effects. Kong has screens and one AA other than the drivers and the simple bat things. Gringotts has a complex track design, but is screen based. Hagrid's has pretty simple AA's with basic lighting/fog effects. Popeye and Dudley are incredibly simple. MIB is a great ride, but once again the effects are simple.

I do love USO and I do believe that Disney needs to have higher quality control, but I also recognize that the effects in IJA are beasts that haven't been attempted in a theme park setting before at that scale.

I think Disney needs to re-examine what is plausible for long term. The Yeti was impressive, but if it breaks its own housing and is impossible to repair, its just bad design. I love the moving walls and miss them terribly, but maybe more R & D should have occurred before making them key effects in a world class E-ticket.

I do remember that their Cat in the Hat darkride was filled with broken effects.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom