Indiana Jones 5 Now Pushed Back to 2021

J4546

Again I think just shows a sign of the times. One of UKs biggest cinema chains Cineworld (2nd biggest in the world I believe but no idea under what name in the US) has called in the administrators to try and quickly restructure and wipe off a lot of its $8 billion debt.

I think Indy has a lot going for it but I do think a massive part of this is Disney being so aggressive on getting their movies to streaming that people are willing to wait, especially when cost of living is currently so high
I agree about waiting for streaming and cost of living. I use AMC a list app thingy so I pay 25 a month and can see up to 3 movies a week at any AMC. Totally worth it because where I am (LA) just to see one movie at the nicer (that also happens to be closest to me) theater with reclining seats is like 30 bucks for one ticket! so it pays for itself after 1 movie.

Indy_UK

I live near a big chain cinema Vue that charge a maximum of $9 for a recliner seat. Where it’s a budget cinema it can get busy so will be interested to see how busy Indy is when son and I go on Friday

mf1972

Friendly reminder:

IMG_3747.gif

Tha Realest

A friendly reminder that the budget for this film almost certainly includes 15 years of development and false starts.
Why the preemptive excuses?

Funny, you didn’t extend the same charity towards The Flash, which has a lower reported budget, lots of fits and starts, and opened roughly in the same ballpark as Indiana Jones 5 is projected to (over a holiday weekend, no less). Yet you called The Flash a “mega bomb” and “one of the biggest bombs of all time.”

TP2000

The movie opens Friday the 30th, but Defeating The British Day isn't until Tuesday this year, so effectively a 4 day weekend. 5 day weekend for box office if you include Friday's opening.

I can't imagine July 4th is a huge movie day, as most everyone except avowed Communists are outdoors barbecuing and watching fireworks.

Will Disney and/or compliant industry sources try to lump in all 5 days as the "opening weekend" for Indy? Or does it get a usual 3 day window of Friday-to-Sunday to make its "opening weekend" numbers?

Casper Gutman

Why the preemptive excuses?

Funny, you didn’t extend the same charity towards The Flash, which has a lower reported budget, lots of fits and starts, and opened roughly in the same ballpark as Indiana Jones 5 is projected to (over a holiday weekend, no less). Yet you called The Flash a “mega bomb” and “one of the biggest bombs of all time.”
Indy has had the kind of long development time that is relatively common in Hollywood.

The Flash, and the DC Universe in general, has been an unprecedented succession of comical mistakes and missteps and delays, of relaunches and reshoots and confused visions, of clashing executive egos and an out-of-control lead actor, all culminating with Hollywood's worst executive (whos currently in the middle of shamelessly breaking down one of the most storied Hollywood studios for scrap) betting the house on a project that he should have shelved. It's Heavens Gate. Books will be written about it. If Indy does Flash numbers it will be a big bomb, but it will never be the legend of incompetence that is The Flash.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The movie opens Friday the 30th, but Defeating The British Day isn't until Tuesday this year, so effectively a 4 day weekend. 5 day weekend for box office if you include Friday's opening.

I can't imagine July 4th is a huge movie day, as most everyone except avowed Communists are outdoors barbecuing and watching fireworks.

Will Disney and/or compliant industry sources try to lump in all 5 days as the "opening weekend" for Indy? Or does it get a usual 3 day window of Friday-to-Sunday to make its "opening weekend" numbers?
It’ll get the normal 3-day opening weekend and then get the 5-day holiday totals.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I would agree but error on the side of just above break even.
That’s like $750 ish??

Possible but will need strong NATO box office receipts.

I was thinking maybe $600-650ish

I think me and the 4 other angry guys in moms basement that single handedly sunk Star Wars - also know as gen x lucasfilm fans that made the franchises the modern day standard bearers - and Disney fans will show for this and get it out of flopville.

I’m also using maverick - innocent fun for an exhausted audience - as a comp.

But maverick was a remake that didn’t blame anyone for the first…
I don’t trust Disney to pull that off…hopefully mangold wasn’t mandated to death.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
That’s like $750 ish??

Possible but will need strong NATO box office receipts.

I was thinking maybe $600-650ish

I think me and the 4 other angry guys in moms basement that single handedly sunk Star Wars - also know as gen x lucasfilm fans that made the franchises the modern day standard bearers - and Disney fans will show for this and get it out of flopville.

I’m also using maverick - innocent fun for an exhausted audience - as a comp.

But maverick was a remake that didn’t blame anyone for the first…
I don’t trust Disney to pull that off…hopefully mangold wasn’t mandated to death.
Possible, we’ll see how much draw Indy has over the weekend to be sure.

TalkingHead

Absolutely have to believe the $65m opening weekend estimate is being lowballed so if it does make $75m they can sell it as overperforming. Crystal Skull made $100m opening weekend in 2008.

Have to also think this will do decent business internationally.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom