Indiana Jones 5 Now Pushed Back to 2021

"Flop" has both a community meaning and a meaning within the walls of Disney.

Disney expects a certain rate of return on all movie investments, and any movie that does not clear that bar means that money was misallocated (i.e. "flop"). When money is misallocated, it means that Disney should have either returned that money to shareholders or put the money toward some other area that might have yielded a higher return. And in Disney's case, they expect a high rate of return relative to their competition (since they're the "Apple" or entertainment, they expect to command higher profitability rates than their competitors). If the box office is going to consistently underdeliver, expect shareholders to demand some meaningful change from Disney, for instance stepping up their theme park investments.

TL;DR: It does not matter if a movie "made money", it matters that a movie makes a specific rate of return within a specific time frame, and Disney expects their movies to consistently have among the highest profitability in the industry.

BlakeW39

"Flop" has both a community meaning and a meaning within the walls of Disney.

Disney expects a certain rate of return on all movie investments, and any movie that does not clear that bar means that money was misallocated (i.e. "flop"). When money is misallocated, it means that Disney should have either returned that money to shareholders or put the money toward some other area that might have yielded a higher return. And in Disney's case, they expect a high rate of return relative to their competition (since they're the "Apple" or entertainment, they expect to command higher profitability rates than their competitors). If the box office is going to consistently underdeliver, expect shareholders to demand some meaningful change from Disney, for instance stepping up their theme park investments.

TL;DR: It does not matter if a movie "made money", it matters that a movie makes a specific rate of return within a specific time frame, and Disney expects their movies to consistently have among the highest profitability in the industry.

On the subject of Disney being the Apple of the entertainment industry, what's interesting in my opinion is that we're starting to kind of see that fall apart. All entertainment companies are going through some growing pains right now, as the industry shifts/evolves, and other companies aren't really doing too much better than Disney is. What's strange is that circa 2019, Disney was a cut above the rest. Its films recieved consistent critical and financial success and the brand (outside the parks maybe) had overall a more positive image in the market than its competitors. But I think now Disney is kind of losing the special privledges it had up until a few years ago.

TalkingHead

Saw a Indy promo ad online that was touting how the stunts are “real” which felt like a misguided attempt to go after the Cruise/Mission: Impossible demo and maybe an attempt to allay doubts about Ford’s age. But also interesting since numerous reviews have said the CGI feels out of place and overused in this movie. Also of note that Spielberg gives a quick comment in the ad, something about Ford being his typical Indy self.

Not encouraged by the fact that many of the positive reviews are still in the 2.5 star territory. Talk about a mild recommendation.

GimpYancIent

Saw a Indy promo ad online that was touting how the stunts are “real” which felt like a misguided attempt to go after the Cruise/Mission: Impossible demo and maybe an attempt to allay doubts about Ford’s age. But also interesting since numerous reviews have said the CGI feels out of place and overused in this movie. Also of note that Spielberg gives a quick comment in the ad, something about Ford being his typical Indy self.

Not encouraged by the fact that many of the positive reviews are still in the 2.5 star territory. Talk about a mild recommendation.
Uhhhhh, who is doing all this reviewing? The film is not to be released until the 30th so its not like there are a lot of eyes on reviewers. If it's the same supposedly expert (self-proclaimed) reviewers, simply put, their reviews are 💩. The real reviews will come after the release from real viewers.

P.S. I like the teasers and trailers. Looking forward to seeing it.

TalkingHead

Uhhhhh, who is doing all this reviewing? The film is not to be released until the 30th so its not like there are a lot of eyes on reviewers. If it's the same supposedly expert (self-proclaimed) reviewers, simply put, their reviews are 💩. The real reviews will come after the release from real viewers.

P.S. I like the teasers and trailers. Looking forward to seeing it.
It was screened for “professional” internet critics (including the YouTube brigade) two weeks ago, so quite a few geek/nerd/Dis-adjacent reviews are out there.

Consensus is it’s not great, maybe better than Crystal Skull depending who you ask, but overall an unnecessary entry in the franchise.

GimpYancIent

It was screened for “professional” internet critics (including the YouTube brigade) two weeks ago, so quite a few geek/nerd/Dis-adjacent reviews are out there.

Consensus is it’s not great, maybe better than Crystal Skull depending who you ask, but overall an unnecessary entry in the franchise.
OK! I see you quote "professional" and then refer to internet critics. Got it. My assessment of their assessments is click-bait crap that is not worth a damn.

Wendy Pleakley

Based on reviews it sounds like the movie has some good moments but is a more average, fun movie, as opposed to something like Raiders that is one of the great films of all times.

Which is pretty much expected. People should go into a movie like this with expectations in check. The odds of living up to the original when it's so good is pretty much zero. Even Last Crusade was successful in part by offering up a product with many similarities to the original.

ElvisMickey

Based on reviews it sounds like the movie has some good moments but is a more average, fun movie, as opposed to something like Raiders that is one of the great films of all times.

Which is pretty much expected. People should go into a movie like this with expectations in check. The odds of living up to the original when it's so good is pretty much zero. Even Last Crusade was successful in part by offering up a product with many similarities to the original.
Word is that the first 15-20 minutes are amazing then takes a nose dive from there with barely anyone being satisfied with the ending…

dreday3

I'm looking forward to watching this. I saw Raiders in the theater with my Dad when I was 8 years old, promptly fell in love with Indiana Jones and will be loyal to his franchise until the bitter end.

And I think it's going to be just plain fun and that's something I've been missing in my movies as of late.

Phroobar

Checking the theater I'm in. There are 25 filled sets in a theater that hold 200 for the 8pm friday show. Just scanning through all the seats at my theater and all times, it feels about 15% full. Granted that doesn't mean anything because I'm sure there is one person that will pipe up saying their theater is completely sold out which is either a lie or their one theater town holds 30 people.

Wendy Pleakley

Checking the theater I'm in. There are 25 filled sets in a theater that hold 200 for the 8pm friday show. Just scanning through all the seats at my theater and all times, it feels about 15% full. Granted that doesn't mean anything because I'm sure there is one person that will pipe up saying their theater is completely sold out which is either a lie or their one theater town holds 30 people.

My local theater has two screens, one of which is almost sold out for 7:00 pm showings on Friday/Saturday and the other is half sold. Everything else is wide open.

Very soft demand.

Phroobar

My local theater has two screens, one of which is almost sold out for 7:00 pm showings on Friday/Saturday and the other is half sold. Everything else is wide open.

Very soft demand.
and there it is.

iu

Indy_UK

Again I think just shows a sign of the times. One of UKs biggest cinema chains Cineworld (2nd biggest in the world I believe but no idea under what name in the US) has called in the administrators to try and quickly restructure and wipe off a lot of its $8 billion debt.

I think Indy has a lot going for it but I do think a massive part of this is Disney being so aggressive on getting their movies to streaming that people are willing to wait, especially when cost of living is currently so high

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom