Indiana Jones 5 Now Pushed Back to 2021

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Who's making the $65M estimate?

That’s one there is like 15 more.

Should I post them all?
Box office pro had $55-$70 for the 3 day estimate and $80-105 for the 5 day…

Do you know what that means?
1688094494416.gif

…it would take massive overseas numbers to pull off a cover. Disney better hope that estimate is wrong.

And Kathy better get a box for the office…just in case.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Not that I'm expecting raw numbers anything remotely like that but Top Gun Maverick had a really good opening but more impressive is how it had incredible legs. If Dial of Destiny was a similar type of solid word of mouth crowd pleaser with nostalgia - I do not expect that at all - that would be a precedent for something post-pandemic being able to have a solid box office over many weeks over the summer.
The tomato meter started as 49% at Cannes…Rose to 63% last week…and now is back down to 55%

This ain’t maverick. Maverick benefitted from a couple of factors and one very wise decision that this one doesn’t seem to have going for it…

wtyy21

Ahead of Indy5 theatrical release, we must kept eye on Cinemascore rating, which reflected how the audience at theatres reacted to a major movie releases. Three Disney-owned theatrical releases this year, like The Little Mermaid (2023 live-action remake), Elemental (Pixar-branded animated film), and GOTG Vol. 3 (Marvel-branded film), received A cinemascore, while Ant-Man and Wasp Quantumania (also Marvel-branded film) received B cinemascore.

Hopefully Dial of Destiny received slightly better cinemascore rating when it opens.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Ahead of Indy5 theatrical release, we must kept eye on Cinemascore rating, which reflected how the audience at theatres reacted to a major movie releases. Three Disney-owned theatrical releases this year, like The Little Mermaid (2023 live-action remake), Elemental (Pixar-branded animated film), and GOTG Vol. 3 (Marvel-branded film), received A cinemascore, while Ant-Man and Wasp Quantumania (also Marvel-branded film) received B cinemascore.

Hopefully Dial of Destiny received slightly better cinemascore rating when it opens.
3 of those 4 movies are significant loses…
One a complete bomb.

Don’t think rankings are gonna change much this time.

Unless every reviewer is wrong…they didn’t film what was needed to make this a hit: which was Harrison ford…even at 80…being the stud/hero.

That was the “way”, Mando…

Tha Realest

Tale of the tape:

Indy has some great comps!

FilmBudgetRTThursday nightOpening weekend
Black Adam~$200M38%$7.6M$67M
The Flash$190M64%$9.7M$55M
Indy V$300M67%$6M???
($60-$65M?)
Also, Mission: Impossible comes out in less than ten days, so there goes the “it’ll have legs” argument. RT score doesn’t bode well for that either.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Tale of the tape:

Indy has some great comps!

FilmBudgetRTThursday nightOpening weekend
Black Adam~$200M38%$7.6M$67M
The Flash$190M64%$9.7M$55M
Indy V$300M67%$6M???
($60-$65M?)
Has @Casper Gutman been by to tell us that this movie is secretly a tremendous success and that anyone saying otherwise is a Right-wing YouTuber who lies for clicks?

Wendy Pleakley

Audience reaction seems to be fairly consistent.

It's better than Crystal Skull.

It has fun moments but doesn't click the way the original films did.

Too much CGI and a bonkers finale that will be divisive.

Overall, a decent movie but one that will have a hard time getting people to the theater in the current post-COVID and/or streaming era.

Casper Gutman

Has @Casper Gutman been by to tell us that this movie is secretly a tremendous success and that anyone saying otherwise is a Right-wing YouTuber who lies for clicks?
In the Newton thread it was pretty definitively proven that the video in question absolutely was lying for clicks. Your attempt to nitpick the debunking got corrected by a number of posters who know how businesses work and then you never came back to the thread.

I’ll make a number of statements to clarify my position:

1) Dial of Destiny will underperform
2) Several Disney films have underperformed in the last year or so
3) This is not unique to Disney - every studio has seen significant portions of their slate underperform
4) This is due to a complex web of factors that have created an unstable box office environment that has not found a new normal
5) What that new normal looks like is not clear
6) The box office has been particularly harsh on original animation
7) Disney is navigating the unstable environment as well as, if not better then, the other major studios
8) Hollywood numbers are intentionally vague and the box office/ budget equation is a children’s toy, so anyone making definitive declarations, particularly of massive losses, should be viewed with a particularly critical lens
9) The studios are set up in a way that it is VERY rare that they actually lose money on a film, though it is slightly less rare in the current unstable environment
10) Disneys difficulties are being taken out of context and exaggerated for political reasons
11) This is largely being done by a lucrative, loud network of culture war TV channels, YouTubers, political commentators, and politicians who profit from rage at a common target
12) the posters incessantly rooting for Disney to fail so their political tribalism can be validated are immensely tiring

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Audience reaction seems to be fairly consistent.

It's better than Crystal Skull.

It has fun moments but doesn't click the way the original films did.

Too much CGI and a bonkers finale that will be divisive.

Overall, a decent movie but one that will have a hard time getting people to the theater in the current post-COVID and/or streaming era.
I might actually like it then…because I have some unpopular tastes at time

Crystal Skull wasn’t as bad as I think it gets bashed for…but nothing was coming close to last crusade. A father/son “buddy comedy” with Han Solo and James Bond??

That’s gotta be Lucas’s greatest idea ever.

But for reference: I think age of ultron is highly underrated and ragnarok is steaming garbage for fast and the furious fans

…but I’m a tough crowd

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I might actually like it then…because I have some unpopular tastes at time

Crystal Skull wasn’t as bad as I think it gets bashed for…but nothing was coming close to last crusade. A father/son “buddy comedy” with Han Solo and James Bond??

That’s gotta be Lucas’s greatest idea ever.

But for reference: I think age of ultron is highly underrated and ragnarok is steaming garbage for fast and the furious fans

…but I’m a tough crowd
I think you'll actually be surprised and like it.

mf1972

ingot tickets for a sunday night showing at our local amc dolby theater with the reclining seats. so far for a 200-220 seat theater, only 20 seats were sold. i was hoping that the movie would do well after the last one, but i’m doubting it. we’ll see how it does down the road. i’m more concerned on enjoying it for ourselves vs how it does financially.

erasure fan1

Crystal skull suffered from some obnoxious nonsense scenes. The nuke fridge, the duck boat driving off the cliff then down the falls, Tarzan Shia... Those type of scenes really brought the film down for me.
But for reference: I think age of ultron is highly underrated
I am right there with you. I watched it recently and I was like, huh, ths is a lot better than I remember. I was actually fairly surprised at how much I liked it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom