Indiana Jones 5 Now Pushed Back to 2021

Tony the Tigger

Between the stories of it being tied to extreme extremist views along with the manipulated box office numbers, you'd think that would be enough for people to stop talking about as it related to Indiana Jones.

It's almost as if the people who are outspoken about it are pushing an agenda.
Yeah, it seemed very Dinesh D’Souza to me right off the bat. I have zero interest. And the group I see swooning over it, I’m generally suspicious of.

But I also have zero interest in MI or any Tom Cruise movie. I never got the Tom Cruise thing.

Now, Harrison Ford in Temple of Doom is near perfection in my book.

Tha Realest

Which is why its BO is always going to have an asterisk next to it, ie how can a movie really make a profit to empty theaters. And given the conspiracies surrounding it the studio may end up reconsidering how they do this "pay-it-forward" model in the future, ie ensure butts are actually in the seats.
In terms of profit, does the studio get a portion of ticket sales or paid based on how many eyeballs are looking at a screen?

You’ve advanced some interesting theories on what constitutes a profit and a success on other films, so to somehow use non-monetary criteria to gauge profit is both bizarre but also keeping within character.

Tony the Tigger

In terms of profit, does the studio get a portion of ticket sales or paid based on how many eyeballs are looking at a screen?

You’ve advanced some interesting theories on what constitutes a profit and a success on other films, so to somehow use non-monetary criteria to gauge profit is both bizarre but also keeping within character.
So why doesn’t Disney skip marketing and put that money into buying out empty theaters and artificially inflating their numbers?

I rented out an AMC theater during covid for $100 IIRC. Four of us went. Should that count as a full theater?

We are having a listening party at my store for the new Barbie movie soundtrack this week. Over 80 people have signed up so far. Billboard specifically precludes me from requiring purchase of the album at the event, or they won’t count what we sell in the tally for who has the number one album of the week. However, if we don’t require it and they happen to sell, it counts.

For those “pay it forward” seats to count, they should actually have to be given to someone and used, and I feel sorry for the folks being duped into goosing the producers’ numbers without actually benefiting anyone wanting to see the propaganda, er, film.

celluloid

They are near me. I don’t think of summer time as when I want to watch a movie about child trafficking. Prefer something a bit lighthearted then but whatever floats their boat.
This is such an odd statement to me. There is not really a season for such a subject. Summer and Christmas releases has always had heavy hitting based on true story releases. American Sniper etc...
Horror movies are also a big hit typically late summer, and still the case for home releases to make more buck around Halloween, such as the current Insidious film raking in the dough.

It makes perfect sense that some prefer lighthearted films, and some prefer themes for seasons, but when is child sex trafficking true story season?

The first major Summer theatrical release that started the summer blockbuster trend for films as we know it was about a giant Shark devouring Islanders, primarily minors.

Last edited:

GimpYancIent

This is such an odd statement to me. There is not really a season for such a subject. Summer and Christmas releases has always had heavy hitting based on true story releases. American Sniper etc...
Horror movies are also a big hit typically late summer, and still the case for home releases to make more buck around Halloween, such as the current Insidious film raking in the dough.

It makes perfect sense that some prefer lighthearted films, and some prefer themes for seasons, but when is child sex trafficking true story season?

The first major Summer theatrical release that started the summer blockbuster trend for films as we know it was about a giant Shark devouring Islanders, primarily minors.
Viewing trends have no season for theatrical releases. The reasons viewers go to the movies as diverse as the viewing public. One thing that is consistent is the fact that the so-called expert analysts / reviewers and ultimately the producers do not understand the audience nor the objective to entertain.

tcool123

Hmmmmm that would involve the Disney corporate suits to think out of their proverbial box.
Took it to ChatGPT to see how that press release would like:

Disney Unveils a Heartwarming New Ticketing Initiative: "Share the Wish"

This Holiday Season, Spread Joy by Gifting a Film Ticket to a Stranger

[Burbank, 11/1/23] - Disney is thrilled to announce an exciting and heartwarming new ticketing initiative, "Share the Wish," which will debut with this holiday season's highly anticipated film, "Wish." The initiative will allow moviegoers to pay it forward and spread the magic of Disney by gifting a film ticket to a stranger, fostering a sense of unity and joy during the holiday season.

"Share the Wish" is Disney's latest effort to promote kindness, empathy, and connection among movie enthusiasts. With this unique ticketing option, patrons can purchase a "Wish" film ticket and choose to donate it to someone they have never met, offering the opportunity for strangers to come together and share a magical cinematic experience.

"We believe in the power of storytelling and the way it can bring people together," said [Disney Executive's Name], [Job Title] at Disney. "The 'Share the Wish' initiative exemplifies the spirit of giving and fosters a sense of community, kindness, and joy that Disney has always strived to inspire. We are excited to introduce this program with 'Wish' and hope it sets a precedent for more heartwarming initiatives in the future."

How "Share the Wish" Works:

1. Purchase a Ticket: Visit the official Disney website and choose the "Share the Wish" ticketing option while buying a ticket for the film "Wish."
  2. Select the Gifting Option: After selecting the "Share the Wish" ticketing option, choose which theater you would like to gift the ticket at.
  3. Spread the Magic: Your gifted ticket will be digitally delivered once someone claims it via the Disney website, along with a personalized message from you. Witness the joy of spreading the Disney magic and making someone's day more special.
"Share the Wish" will be available for the film "Wish" starting this holiday season, and it will continue for select future releases. This initiative embodies the true essence of the holiday season, where the spirit of giving is celebrated, and moments of joy are shared with one another.

GimpYancIent

Took it to ChatGPT to see how that press release would like:

Disney Unveils a Heartwarming New Ticketing Initiative: "Share the Wish"

This Holiday Season, Spread Joy by Gifting a Film Ticket to a Stranger

[Burbank, 11/1/23] - Disney is thrilled to announce an exciting and heartwarming new ticketing initiative, "Share the Wish," which will debut with this holiday season's highly anticipated film, "Wish." The initiative will allow moviegoers to pay it forward and spread the magic of Disney by gifting a film ticket to a stranger, fostering a sense of unity and joy during the holiday season.

"Share the Wish" is Disney's latest effort to promote kindness, empathy, and connection among movie enthusiasts. With this unique ticketing option, patrons can purchase a "Wish" film ticket and choose to donate it to someone they have never met, offering the opportunity for strangers to come together and share a magical cinematic experience.

"We believe in the power of storytelling and the way it can bring people together," said [Disney Executive's Name], [Job Title] at Disney. "The 'Share the Wish' initiative exemplifies the spirit of giving and fosters a sense of community, kindness, and joy that Disney has always strived to inspire. We are excited to introduce this program with 'Wish' and hope it sets a precedent for more heartwarming initiatives in the future."

How "Share the Wish" Works:

1. Purchase a Ticket: Visit the official Disney website and choose the "Share the Wish" ticketing option while buying a ticket for the film "Wish."
  2. Select the Gifting Option: After selecting the "Share the Wish" ticketing option, choose which theater you would like to gift the ticket at.
  3. Spread the Magic: Your gifted ticket will be digitally delivered once someone claims it via the Disney website, along with a personalized message from you. Witness the joy of spreading the Disney magic and making someone's day more special.
"Share the Wish" will be available for the film "Wish" starting this holiday season, and it will continue for select future releases. This initiative embodies the true essence of the holiday season, where the spirit of giving is celebrated, and moments of joy are shared with one another.
A limited time offer designed to promote a specific presentation not a philanthropic program. let's talk an actual Disney program beyond a limited promotion for a specific film i.e. "Wish".

maemae74

Between the stories of it being tied to extreme extremist views along with the manipulated box office numbers, you'd think that would be enough for people to stop talking about as it related to Indiana Jones

It's almost as if the people who are outspoken about it are pushing an agenda.
I saw it and it was very good. There were zero political messages in the movie so I am not sure why all the freak outs some are having. Finally saw Indy thought it was great . It was exactly what I thought it would be so I don't get why so many are saying it's a flop.

Last edited:

Sir_Cliff

For those “pay it forward” seats to count, they should actually have to be given to someone and used, and I feel sorry for the folks being duped into goosing the producers’ numbers without actually benefiting anyone wanting to see the propaganda, er, film.
I very much feel it's a case of exploiting people's beliefs (religious or political) for financial gain. I guess people feel they are doing their part by supporting the film, but if that involves sending money to the studio and producers for it to run in mostly empty theatres it's hard to see what is being achieved in terms of spreading whatever kind of message they are supposed to be spreading. But, these are adults who can make their own decisions.

The comparison with the music charts is an interesting one as there are supposed to be mechanisms in most countries to stop similar efforts to artificially inflate the sales of song or album. I'm a little agnostic about whether something like that should be the case here as the film is making that money however that is happening, but I agree with those suggesting that's why nobody is seriously arguing audiences have turned their back on Indy for a film about child sex trafficking.

lazyboy97o

I very much feel it's a case of exploiting people's beliefs (religious or political) for financial gain. I guess people feel they are doing their part by supporting the film, but if that involves sending money to the studio and producers for it to run in mostly empty theatres it's hard to see what is being achieved in terms of spreading whatever kind of message they are supposed to be spreading. But, these are adults who can make their own decisions.
The message is spread exactly as it is here. “OMG! Look at this little movie that’s doing so well! I’ve totally never heard of it before despite being a consumer of all sort of related media that has covered it.”

TalkingHead

Rewatched Crystal Skull last week and thought it was much better than Dial. If nothing else, it has memorable sequences and actually tries to do something with Marion’s character. There’s nothing in Dial that’s remotely as clever and well-crafted as the motorcycle chase in Crystal Skull. I’m amazed by the warm feelings towards Dial, makes me question a lot about general audience tastes these days.

TalkingHead

Haven't watched it recently, does it still have Shia LaBeouf flying through the jungle with monkeys and Cate Blanchett doing her "moose and squirrel" Russian accent?
Who cares? Monkeys are like a total of 15 seconds and three shots. Blanchett is hamming like she’s in a cheap espionage flick circa 1956. Dial barely has a pulse, tacks on a final scene with Karen Allen that’s objectively unearned fan service, and never figures out anything remotely interesting with the main character.

WorldExplorer

I enjoyed Crystal Skull more, too. I'm sure someone more into the franchise could pinpoint exactly why the scenes aren't in the true spirit of Indiana Jones (and I wouldn't argue), but I definitely was entertained more by the action scenes in that one.

It also includes less wallowing in misery and no characters I actively hated.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom