Indiana Jones 5 Now Pushed Back to 2021

DKampy

I’m curious what is making you nervous?

The box office? Forgive me after our box office discussions of the last week - which were officially settled today - leaves me confused?

Does financial success matter for Indy 5?
I am just nervous for my own enjoyment… it is my 2nd fav franchise… but I am going to leave critics baggage at the door… I have disagreed with critics before… I am expecting a fun adventure…. Even if we have seen it all before… This is one movie I don’t have a clue what it is going to do box office wise

Phroobar

There’s an interesting aspect at play for the merchandising associated with this release. My son has bought many of the kids toys, but they are all associated with the older films in the series. Same with the Lego sets - all based on the original trilogy. I think there may be one premium figure based on DOD, but that’s it.
It was nice to get a retro Marian figure to add to my vintage Well of the Souls playset. The original figure is super expensive. The new one is pretty close to it.

There are 6" figures from the new movie releasing in September but most of what is out there now is from Raiders.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I am just nervous for my own enjoyment… it is my 2nd fav franchise… but I am going to leave critics baggage at the door… I have disagreed with critics before… I am expecting a fun adventure…. Even if we have seen it all before… This is one movie I don’t have a clue what it is going to do box office wise
I get that…we all (well most of us that try to go back and forth on things) are old enough to appreciated the IJ movies in their classic 80’s glory…

…but what does the box office real matter this time?

This was never a “launching point”. This is the end. We aren’t getting rides and shops and tv series off it.

Disney has business problems…they can’t have tentpoles lose money. And gosh darn it just happened. But Indy is a bit of a different beast as I see it.

I don’t trust it. But I’ll see it if it seems the general public likes it. Contrary to accusations I get (understandable), I don’t want Disney to make bad movies!! I want good movies. They’re just not doing it and that has to be corrected…pronto.

TalkingHead

This was never a “launching point”. This is the end. We aren’t getting rides and shops and tv series off it.
The end for Harrison. But they’ve already indicated some kind of spin-off D+ series is in the works. Maybe it’s a prequel with side characters or something, but we all know at this point Disney doesn’t resurrect a lucrative franchise for it to be a one-off.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The end for Harrison. But they’ve already indicated some kind of spin-off D+ series is in the works. Maybe it’s a prequel with side characters or something, but we all know at this point Disney doesn’t resurrect a lucrative franchise for it to be a one-off.
Horsebleep

That’s what one collapsing Disney exec and one embattled studio “brain trust” says with everything everytime they show up for an interview with the HR or one of the fanfests they throw themselves.

TalkingHead

Horsebleep

That’s what one collapsing Disney exec and one embattled studio “brain trust” says with everything everytime they show up for an interview with the HR or one of the fanfests they throw themselves.
They did a Willow series of all things. There is no way that they don’t do something with the franchise for streaming. It’s a franchise whose bones haven’t been picked over. They just put the Young Indy series on D+. A new series will happen and I can guarantee you I won’t be watching.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They did a Willow series of all things. There is no way that they don’t do something with the franchise for streaming. It’s a franchise whose bones haven’t been picked over. They just put the Young Indy series on D+. A new series will happen and I can guarantee you I won’t be watching.
Willow became a blackeye

Disney+ is a blackeye - nonsense apologies aside - and could get much worse.

They way shot past their numbers projections ahead of schedule…but also have lost more money than they promise in development…that dog doesn’t hunt

They just started losing subscribers. Which was inevitable.

Writers strike is gonna be very long…because of streaming…which means more subscribers of a casual nature will go.

Oh and jacking prices and forced bundling.

Forget streaming troubles…I think there’ll be cautious.

Now if the movie makes $1.2 bil? - sure…let it rip.
But if it makes $389 mil?

Ouch, baby

Phroobar

If Indy fails, they could always fall back to Radioland Murders (I miss Remember WENN) or American Graffiti (Happy Days reboot). Even Strange Magic might make a cute Disney+ show.

Basil of Baker Street

Saw a comment on one of the linked articles
Time between WW2 and Raiders of the Lost Arc: 36 years
Time between Raiders of the Lost Arc and Dial of Destiny: 42 years
Interesting to think about.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
If Indy fails, they could always fall back to Radioland Murders (I miss Remember WENN) or American Graffiti (Happy Days reboot). Even Strange Magic might make a cute Disney+ show.
You forgot about the “big guns”

1686593791484.jpeg

Disney Irish

Premium Member
You forgot about the “big guns”

View attachment 723242
You joke, but there was a Howard series planned at one time for Hulu, it got cancelled when Marvel TV got rolled into Studio. Hit-Monkey was the only one that survived, which just got a season 2 by the way.

Scripts were already written and ready to go, so it can be revived real quick if they need something.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You joke, but there was a Howard series planned at one time for Hulu, it got cancelled when Marvel TV got rolled into Studio. Hit-Monkey was the only one that survived, which just got a season 2 by the way.

Scripts were already written and ready to go, so it can be revived real quick if they need something.
Oh I’m well aware…and it would have been laughed at by the 10 who watched it (I’d be one of them)

But that’s IP SYNERGY right there, Sunny Jim 👍🏻

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Oh I’m well aware…and it would have been laughed at by the 10 who watched it (I’d be one of them)

But that’s IP SYNERGY right there, Sunny Jim 👍🏻
Feige has other plans for Howard, as seen in GotG3, hence why it was cancelled. But I think it would have been popular with more than just 10 people watching.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Feige has other plans for Howard, as seen in GotG3, hence why it was cancelled. But I think it would have been popular with more than just 10 people watching.
We’ll save it for a Marvel thread, huh?

Right now I need an abacus and the latest little mermaid dailies to see if she gets to the finish line?…

1686598687353.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom