Indiana Jones 5 Now Pushed Back to 2021

Phroobar

It is sad this is the last Indiana Jones movie. I would have really liked to see Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis.

iu

Phroobar

I think so too for us. My kids just re-watched all of the movies and are excited for it as well. It doesn't have to be a masterpiece, but I'm just hoping for some fun escapism.
It will be exciting and have some good tomb raiding. The general plot is fine. I don't know if it is worth seeing in the theater for all the things Disney will throw in. It is worth a view on Disney+ and a bluray purchase. I just worry about being disappointed in the theater and how they will butcher the character.

I think I would rather see a new Laura Croft Tomb Raider or Nathan Drake Uncharted movie.

DCBaker

Premium Member
This is pretty great!

Disney brought stunt performers Kevin Brassard and Michele Waitman to the Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny premiere. Kevin was the original Indiana Jones stunt performer at the Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular at Disney's Hollywood Studio.

The Hollywood Reporter also interviewed them last night - video after the photos.

IMG_4616.jpg

IMG_4617.jpg

Last edited:

BlakeW39

question is: how hard does this film flop? are we talking like, TLM or Ant-Man 3 type flop where it loses money, or just a Thor 4 level flop where it just does poorly/not as well as they'd hope?

Tha Realest

question is: how hard does this film flop? are we talking like, TLM or Ant-Man 3 type flop where it loses money, or just a Thor 4 level flop where it just does poorly/not as well as they'd hope?
Hard to gauge, but if reviews track WOM and it opens within its projections, very hard to see this not losing money given its reported $295M budget.

Phroobar

I'm thinking the Thor 4 level flop. It will do fine by name recognition alone. It just isn't going to make as much as the others.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Thor 4 eventually broke even in the theatrical run. Are movies that break even a "flop"?

Problem is people are using "flop" to mean different things.

Thor 4 was a disappointment in that its reviews were only fair-to good and it didn't make a big profit margin. Compared to other MCU movies, it's bad. Compared to all movies widely-released, it's good.

With post-theatrical windows, Thor 4 will certainly be 'profitable.'

BlakeW39

Thor 4 eventually broke even in the theatrical run. Are movies that break even a "flop"?

Problem is people are using "flop" to mean different things.

Thor 4 was a disappointment in that its reviews were only fair-to good and it didn't make a big profit margin. Compared to other MCU movies, it's bad. Compared to all movies widely-released, it's good.

With post-theatrical windows, Thor 4 will certainly be 'profitable.'

That's because the word "flop" is pretty meaningless and subjective. There are no specific characteristics that determine whether something is or is not a flop, in absolute terms. It's just a vague collquialism we use to describe products that do 'poorly,' financially, whatever 'poorly' might mean.

My vague, subjective takes aside... Thor L&T did worse financially than it should have done, COULD have done and was expected to do. Was it a flop? Maybe, maybe not... it did turn a profit, which is of course something not all films do. But financially the film did $100mil worse than Ragnarok and it was a financial disappointment.

Now critically...definitely a flop in my mind. It didn't get "fair to good reviews," it got fair to bad reviews. 58 on metacritic with a 4.8 review score. That's just not good, plain and simple. At all. RT it's a little higher... but that's RT and the scores are less reflective of actual reviews and moreso of just what percentage of critics/audience thought the film was at least decent.

BlakeW39

The term 'flop' has an objective definition and it should be used with the proper descriptor. Critical flop (poor reviews), Financial flop (loses money), etc.

The thing is flop used to be reserved for films that actually met that criteria. But it's been oversaturated to fit narratives even when it makes no sense and doesn't apply (like Thor 4).

Call it a flop or don't, but the film was both a critical and financial disappointment. I'm not getting bogged down in the semantics of defining colloquial slang like the word "flop."

as for the narrative being advanced... to all the Disney fans: there is no "narrative" or anti-Disney conspiracy going on here. I called Thor 4 a flop because, in relative terms, the film did poorly from both a critical and financial stand point.

spacemt354

Chili's
Call it a flop or don't, but the film was both a critical and financial disappointment. I'm not getting bogged down in the semantics of defining colloquial slang like the word "flop."

as for the narrative being advanced... to all the Disney fans: there is no "narrative" or anti-Disney conspiracy going on here. I called Thor 4 a flop because, in relative terms, the film did poorly from both a critical and financial stand point.
There is a narrative at play when the question you brought to the thread is "how hard does this film flop?" and then use an example like Thor 4 which ultimately made a profit, but categorize it as a 'flop' (I didn't even like Thor 4 but the facts are it made money)

I don't see what you hope to gain out of a question like that other than to continue the negative narrative.

BlakeW39

There is a narrative at play when the question you brought to the thread is "how hard does this film flop?" and then use an example like Thor 4 which ultimately made a profit, but categorize it as a 'flop' (I didn't even like Thor 4 but the facts are it made money)

I don't see what you hope to gain out of a question like that other than to continue the negative narrative.

I used Thor 4 as a shorthand for films that are critically and financially disappointing, but still made a profit. In fact I made it clear that the film made money in my original comment by contrasting it with films that didn't make money. The word flop was unimportant. You can replace "how hard does this film flop" with "how poorly does this film do," if the semantics truly bother you that much.

As for this conspiratorial, anti-Disney narrative I keep hearing about... I asked a general question. I'm not sure why we have to walk around on egg shells and make sure not to insult the mouse. Disney's a multi-billion dollar corporation.. but somehow merely questioning whether its products 'flop' is accomplishing nothing besides furthering a narrative of negativity.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom