In regard to Beast, Mermaid, & Indiana

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
I'd say Mermaid then BATB then Indy. Imo i'd like to see indy go down around the same time as whenever Star tours gets rethemed. Then make a sort of mini land around whatever the replacement is with a show and attraction. I think incredibles could be a decent replacement and could also make for a cool stunt show.

YES!

Supers Stuntshow, Meet-&-Greet (where Olaf is now), Frozone (Club Cool Coke Freestyle) Jack Jack's Diner (Backlot Express), Super Academy (Jedi Training) and The Underminer (Star Tours).

Last edited:

DisneyDodo

So anyone betting on which of these 3 goes first?
My hope would be BatB, as I’d like to see Mermaid and Indy replaced/demolished as part of larger projects to repurpose the Animation Courtyard and Echo Lake areas, respectively, which likely couldn’t happen until SWGE is open and the resulting crowds have started to simmer. BatB’s replacement will just be a standalone project, which could be completed before 2019

Princess Leia

So I went to DHS for the afternoon and evening on Saturday, and I ended up seeing two of the shows (Frozen and Indy), so I can’t comment on Beast or Mermaid. However, I can say that Indy, IMO, still holds up. I caught the last showing, and from what I could see, it was a full house. The crowd was loving it.

Frozen deserves more than a singalong, but I still really enjoyed it. The last three songs were from the mini Olaf holiday film, and they didn’t have a singalong component.

Regarding Moana- last night at Happily Ever After, I heard more cheers for Moana showing up on the castle than anyone else. I’ve seen a few girls in Moana outfits, and I’ve heard guests sing ‘You’re Welcome’. Disney should have had a Moana stage show replace Mermaid ASAP. I think it’s sorely needed.

Kevin_W

So I went to DHS for the afternoon and evening on Saturday, and I ended up seeing two of the shows (Frozen and Indy), so I can’t comment on Beast or Mermaid. However, I can say that Indy, IMO, still holds up. I caught the last showing, and from what I could see, it was a full house. The crowd was loving it.

I agree - I think the Indy show holds up well and the frozen show is enhanced by the two historians. Beauty and Mermaid are just synopses of the movies so they don't hold up as well, IMO.

Princess Leia

I agree - I think the Indy show holds up well and the frozen show is enhanced by the two historians. Beauty and Mermaid are just synopses of the movies so they don't hold up as well, IMO.
Hunchback was a synopsis of the movie too, but it felt fresh (at least it did with my family).I think Mermaid is just redundant now that MK has the ride (and the ride actually has Kiss the Girl). Beauty and the Beast could be so much better. Maybe if it was 40 minutes long or something, in an enclosed theatre, with special effects.

RHCP Mickey

I'm not quick to criticize the parks, but it aggravates me when they forgo seemingly easy/relatively cheap opportunities to bolster guest experiences. Transitioning from Mermaid to Moana would take a bit of work, but in the grand scheme of things it seems like a simple and reasonably priced task. The cost/benefit ratio would swing wildly in Disney's and the guests' favor. Great Moments in History is a good example of a minimalist change that can sharply improve the dynamic of a day at MK, but at the moment that type of small-scale yet substantial nicety is hard to come by.

Kevin_W

Hunchback was a synopsis of the movie too, but it felt fresh (at least it did with my family).I think Mermaid is just redundant now that MK has the ride (and the ride actually has Kiss the Girl). Beauty and the Beast could be so much better. Maybe if it was 40 minutes long or something, in an enclosed theatre, with special effects.

I vaguely recall seeing the Hunchback show during our honeymoon, but that was a long time ago and I don't remember any details. I agree that the ride (also a synopsis) makes the Mermaid show feel even more redundant.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
I loved Moana's visuals but IMHO the songs weren't great. Certainly not worthy of a musical show.

I'm glad someone else agrees... I too thought the songs were pretty meh. Unmemorable; I guess would be the word. I didn't much care for the movie either so take that with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Mermaid replacement... NBC!

Based on the style of show I wonder if the Nightmare Before Christmas IP wouldn't be the ideal replacement. The show could theoretically mimic the stop-motion look of the movie. An anatomically-accurate beanpole Jack as an articulated puppet, Zero flying around, the Mayor changing his face... all of that created using the same black art principles. The moody color palette works well against black-lights and has already proven itself in Haunted Mansion Holiday. Good candidate for replacement?

Last edited:

Jones14

Based on the style of show I wonder if the Nightmare Before Christmas IP wouldn't be the ideal replacement. The show could theoretically mimic the stop-motion look of the movie. An anatomically-accurate beanpole Jack as an articulated puppet, Zero flying around, the Mayor changing his face... all of that created using the same black art principles. The moody color palette works well against black-lights and has already proven itself in Haunted Mansion Holiday. Good candidate for replacement?
I think I’d rather see NBC on Sunset Blvd. to replace BatB. With Fantasmic, Tower of Terror, and even Scary Apothecary, it seems to be the hub for horror(ish) things at WDW. Not that I think a permanent NBC attraction will ever happen, of course.

I think Tangled, Moana, or Coco would be just fine in the Mermaid space, although I think Coco would work the best if they want to continue using black lights for the show. My vote would go to Tangled, though; it has a lot of potential to be a great little show.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
I think I’d rather see NBC on Sunset Blvd. to replace BatB. With Fantasmic, Tower of Terror, and even Scary Apothecary, it seems to be the hub for horror(ish) things at WDW. Not that I think a permanent NBC attraction will ever happen, of course.

If anything; Mermaid is probably going to be demolished or become an interactive Turtle talk/Monster Inc type show. Less cast, less costumes, less problems. Same goes for BatB. It'll probably be demolished for an eventual mini-land.

Frizzball

Seeing as the current show is aimed at a family audience and sucks in all ages I can't see them replacing it with something 'scary' as that would reduce it's attendance at a time when the park really needs extra capacity.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Seeing as the current show is aimed at a family audience and sucks in all ages I can't see them replacing it with something 'scary' as that would reduce it's attendance at a time when the park really needs extra capacity.

I don't understand your reasoning. Why would a new show scary or otherwise automatically reduce attendance? Wouldn't a new show = attendance boost? As for capacity issues in the park... that will be resolved soonish.

Last edited:

cheezbat

If anything; Mermaid is probably going to be demolished or become an interactive Turtle talk/Monster Inc type show. Less cast, less costumes, less problems. Same goes for BatB. It'll probably be demolished for an eventual mini-land.
They should demo the whole thing...and the old Animation building and start another phase of construction back that way after the opening of Star Wars Galaxy's Edge. The park is going to need more rides and attractions asap.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom