Imagineers set to demo part of WOL pavilion

SMS55

A Notice of Commencement simply means that the work being done is over $2500. For all we know it might something minuscule, but you do it to protect yourself from sub contractors. Now building permits are public record. Anyone can request it and view the scope of the demolition.

Goofyernmost

Dunno.... it's not a huge space. You'd at best get some switchbacks in it unless they wanted to rebuild the entire ride entrance.
You are more then likely correct. I was just throwing thoughts out there. Just seems like an area that is closed off, unseen by almost all Guests, wouldn't be of any concern to them unless they had a thought about doing something else with it. We know how lagging they are at maintenance, so spending money to clean up an area that is unnecessary, seems a little out out of character. :) New thought... meet and great area?

pipenut

Is it just me (probably) or is anyone else creeped out by this building only used for "special events"? I guess I'm creeped out by all semi-vacant/abandoned/not often used areas. I can't even look at WOL knowing there are empty or closed off rooms with remains of simulators or Cranium Command leftovers..it's just weird. Not "River Country weird"..but definitely a bit unsettling..and yes, the upstairs business @ Imagination is weird, too. And you guessed it, I can't watch a scary movie to save my life.

Know what you mean. Kinda feels like "CO2, dropping fast"...

MOXOMUMD

Is it just me (probably) or is anyone else creeped out by this building only used for "special events"? I guess I'm creeped out by all semi-vacant/abandoned/not often used areas. I can't even look at WOL knowing there are empty or closed off rooms with remains of simulators or Cranium Command leftovers..it's just weird. Not "River Country weird"..but definitely a bit unsettling..and yes, the upstairs business @ Imagination is weird, too. And you guessed it, I can't watch a scary movie to save my life.
You said "River Country weird" and I knew exactly what you were talking about without an explanation......creepy.

Slowjack

Think back when they drained and filled the 2kLutS Lagoon. FLE did not follow right away, nor was it announced (or even planned) until some time later. An attraction was secretly in the planning stages then (Bald Mountain) for the newly reclaimed land. Bald Mountain was cancelled, but that doesn't really matter because an attraction was eventually built there (FLE).

Immediately after the lagoon became reclaimed land, the lot became Ariel's Grotto - a meet and greet that the Magic Kingdom desperately needed. It was added as a temporary fill until Bald Mountain was ready to begin construction (and later until FLE construction began).

Just like all the steps that preceded FLE, any work planned for the WoL parcel in the immediate future is but a step towards an eventual big budget attraction there.
I mean this sincerely -- I'm glad this board includes people such as yourself with unbounded optimism, that help lighten the atmosphere when things get too gloomy. That said, your interpretation of events doesn't appear to match reality.

20,000 Leagues was closed to lower operations costs, pure and simple. You talk about when the lagoon was drained and filled, but that was actually years after the ride closed. Rumors existed about Bald Mountain, but I never heard they got anywhere close to greenlighting it. It's not like, say, Mr. Toad, which was closed in order to put Winnie-the-Pooh in the same place (and which was announced at the same time). 20,000 Leagues was closed, the money to operate it was pocketed, and then many years later, they decided to make use of the same area for a set of new attractions.

In the same way, any demo of WoL, unless it is accompanied by an announcement of development of the same space, would simply be a demo, and wouldn't make any future attraction more likely.

PeterAlt

I mean this sincerely -- I'm glad this board includes people such as yourself with unbounded optimism, that help lighten the atmosphere when things get too gloomy. That said, your interpretation of events doesn't appear to match reality.

20,000 Leagues was closed to lower operations costs, pure and simple. You talk about when the lagoon was drained and filled, but that was actually years after the ride closed. Rumors existed about Bald Mountain, but I never heard they got anywhere close to greenlighting it. It's not like, say, Mr. Toad, which was closed in order to put Winnie-the-Pooh in the same place (and which was announced at the same time). 20,000 Leagues was closed, the money to operate it was pocketed, and then many years later, they decided to make use of the same area for a set of new attractions.

In the same way, any demo of WoL, unless it is accompanied by an announcement of development of the same space, would simply be a demo, and wouldn't make any future attraction more likely.
I basically agree. The key to what you said with the "years later" part is exactly what I meant. I don't expect anything to happen until years later. WoL parallels 20kUtS in so many ways it's not even funny. It was kept closed too for similar reasons. Don't forget there's what Burbank wants and what TDO wants. Burbank always get what they want in the long term. Bald Mountain and Fire Mountain were being developed, by the way, simultaneously, with Eisner's blessings, in advanced stages, up until some point after Eisner left.

pipenut

Sadly, there's just a catwalk left, in a completely black room. All is gone, and that is now a maintenance storage room. They could at least use it as a new break room for CMs...

I've always wondered... where is this "empty theatre behind the Soarin' queue?" Everytime I go on Soarin' I look where I think it should be but never see anything.

FutureWorld1982

I've always wondered... where is this "empty theatre behind the Soarin' queue?" Everytime I go on Soarin' I look where I think it should be but never see anything.

It's basically near Soarin's entrance, on the left. It is only accessible from the rear, as far as I know. It's a door located before the entrance to The Land tunnel.

doctornick

So, I mentioned this in another thread, but this is a more appropriate place..

Is it possible/feasible for the main indoor WoL building to continue as is (festival center) but for the unused show building for Body Wars to be repurposed as a new ride? Specifically, I wonder if they could put a new simulator ride (like a clone of Storm Riders, for example) in that space but redirect the queue so that you can enter from the outside instead of from inside the WoL building.

IIRC, the Body Wars space isn't being used and is just sitting their empty. Epcot needs more rides -- especially with the FP+ tiering/capacity issues. Reusing the existing space would be far cheaper than building a new ride (right up TDO's alley).

I'm not naive enough to expect TDO to give up their precious festival space, but I don't see that as a barrier to using Body Wars for a new ride if you can use an alternate entrance for the ride. I don't know the floor plan of the pavilion enough to know if what I am saying would be feasible.

pipenut

Is it possible/feasible for the main indoor WoL building to continue as is (festival center) but for the unused show building for Body Wars to be repurposed as a new ride? Specifically, I wonder if they could put a new simulator ride (like a clone of Storm Riders, for example) in that space but redirect the queue so that you can enter from the outside instead of from inside the WoL building.

I think it's a great idea, another optimistic one at that!

You would be correct in noting the "outer" attractions like BW & CC are basically empty spaces (IIRC the internal attractions have been retrofitted in some way to participate in the festivals). Since the outer ones are tucked behind the pavillion, access is a little difficult. Of course, that didn't seem to hinder Soarin's development / success...

I would image the reason we see a growing abundance of "festival centres" like WoL, Odyssey, World ShowPlace, etc is because complete renovations cost money, full demolitions also cost money, and retrofits are "cheap."

Never in my childhood would I ever foreseen the MOM theatre turned into the HGTV theatre!

harlock2977

So, I mentioned this in another thread, buis this is a more appropriate place..

IIRC, the Body Wars space isn't being used and is just sitting their empty. Epcot needs more rides -- especially with the FP+ tiering/capacity issues. Reusing the existing space would be far cheaper than building a new ride (right up TDO's alley).

I'm not naive enough to expect TDO to give up their precious festival space, but I don't see that as a barrier to using Body Wars for a new ride if you can use an alternate entrance for the ride. I don't know the floor plan of the pavilion enough to know if what I am saying would be feasible.
I can answer that one on behalf of TDO. A new ride or atttaction cost money. An empty space is much cheaper to maintain and staff. Besides, you always have Soarin' to wait 90 min for, that should occupy a good chunk of your day at Epcot.

harlock2977

I'm not sure if anyone else saw the leaked plans for the new Imagination refurb. But what I saw included a new AA that looked a lot like Iger with a top hat and an orange beard. I believe he was called the CashSnatcher and his vehicle sucked up other peoples IPs in the front and spit money out of the rear to eagely awaiting stockholders who looked like figment, but they were green instead of pink. The rest of the ride went on to explain how it was expensive and inconvenient to maintain and invest in themeparks. The rest of the plans showed you being dumped off at a DVC kiosk..again, this was all Blue Sky, so who knows.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

How it was :

image.jpg

And how it is:

image.jpg

Jwhee

Are CMs told to lie about the stage being there? When ever I ask I the people at the soarin front desk "Hi I am I big retro epcot fan, is there any possible way I can see the former food rocks stage?" The response "Your standing on it"... LOL Ill say something like "no it's actually right there behind that wall your standing In front of, this is where the entrance was, and that is where the theater was, I can show you a picture if you want me to" response "We'll I have worked here for 5 years and there is no stage back there"

ExtinctJenn

Are CMs told to lie about the stage being there? When ever I ask I the people at the soarin front desk "Hi I am I big retro epcot fan, is there any possible way I can see the former food rocks stage?" The response "Your standing on it"... LOL Ill say something like "no it's actually right there behind that wall your standing In front of, this is where the entrance was, and that is where the theater was, I can show you a picture if you want me to" response "We'll I have worked here for 5 years and there is no stage back there"
They're probably being polite as opposed to saying "no I can't take you backstage"
That and I'm sure it's possible there are CMs that have no idea it's there, just as there are many who probably don't even know what Food Rocks was. That said however, I'm betting it's more likely what Martin said (though man it'd be nice to just get an honest answer). I've yet to work up the courage to ask a CM to take me upstairs at the Imagination pavilion (though every time I'm in that gift shop exit I stand there pacing, wanting to so badly). I've known some folks who have however and their responses have ranged from "there's nothing up there but empty walls" (lie) to "Sure!" My luck would be the first answer which is why I don't ask. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom