Imagineers set to demo part of WOL pavilion

NoChesterHester

I do not feel like walking through a bland, cold, sterile shop pushing overpriced tech in shiny wrappers when leaving a ride. I am thrilled crApple does not sponsor anything.

Apple is one of the very few that acknowledges that design matter. I'm sorry if that doesn't impress you. "Simplicity" in design is anything but simple. It is an elegant expression of function.

We may get an apple gift shop as part of a sponsorship, but no one is suggesting that Apple plunk a stand alone Apple Store in Epcot.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Apple is one of the very few that acknowledges that design matter. I'm sorry if that doesn't impress you. "Simplicity" in design is anything but simple. It is an elegant expression of function.

We may get an apple gift shop as part of a sponsorship, but no one is suggesting that Apple plunk a stand alone Apple Store in Epcot.

Apple would want their products pushes to the utmost extent. Are you saying that just because it is a Simple design that it looks good? Far from it, it feels like a hospital surgery room that I would rather shoot myself in the foot than step in to.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
A lot of people clamor for WOL to be used .. but they fail to realize, the building is used a *LOT*.. way more than Odyssey, that's for sure.. It's the 'center' for all festivals at Epcot.. while I mourn the loss of attractions, at least the space IS used..

but the way I look at it , we are still -4 or 5 on attractions in future world
And That's whats even more annoying. Areas built and meant for regular guests as part of regular admission now reserved for exclusives or those who pay more.

In this case it's an $80 million convention tent.

ExtinctJenn

Well, it was designed as an incredible "World's Fair" type thing so I suppose a ton of convention spaces makes sense. (that's sarcasm - don't kill me)

NoChesterHester

Apple would want their products pushes to the utmost extent. Are you saying that just because it is a Simple design that it looks good? Far from it, it feels like a hospital surgery room that I would rather shoot myself in the foot than step in to.

No need to shoot yourself. I'll go for you.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
No need to shoot yourself. I'll go for you.

Don't see me as a crApple hater. I use some of their products.. not their computers as I build my own. I use Micro and crApple as both have their high points and lows. But those stores are like going in for a root canal.

ChrisM

Microsoft would be perfect. you have to go to microsoft research website. They have a ton of cool tech that they are working on .

I'm more than passingly familiar with Microsoft's research division and I'd love to see them push more of their stuff into the public eye.

But there's a reason why said division has been (pretty accurately) described as the biggest waste of brain power ever assembled.

Bolna

And That's whats even more annoying. Areas built and meant for regular guests as part of regular admission now reserved for exclusives or those who pay more.

In this case it's an $80 million convention tent.

And at the same time they spend a billion to put people into virtual queues instead of real ones to alleviate the problem of long lines. The normal person would think that the easiest solution to make lines shorter would be to add ride capacity...

quirkle

Apple can sponsor docking stations all over WDW so we can charge out phones while we wait in line.

Or maybe they will sponsor SSE and have a chunk taken out of it.

Seriously though I love EPCOT and would like to see it back in glory. Or actually add something to make it relevant.

po1998

WoL left standing as a "festival" building is like an open sore that won't heal. I had no problem with them turning a restaurant into private function space(Odyssey), but to take a building that housed 3 attractions, and just shut it down is inexcusable....sponsor or no sponsor. FW is a joke even after the rehabbed TT opens.

- Very very very very tired and worn out JII and UoE attractions/pavilions.

- SSE with an unfinished descent.

- M:S pukearama version or M:S I want that 30 minutes of my life back version.

- Communicore/Innoventions/whatever it is called nowadays. Nothing but a passageway from TT to Soarin'.

jt04

Well there was a rumor recently of someting happening in the WoL pavilion.

Speaking of Apple, I wonder if they would ever consider taking over the DQ building with a store and one-of-a-kind content? Just a thought.

raven

Never understood why they use WOL as a festival "center" for F&W and F&G when the bulk of the activity is in World Showcase. None the less, Body Wars simulators are being gutted (seats and shell walls removed, etc). In the past few years they were simply stripped of smaller items for Star Tours replacements. The show building for Body Wars is pretty big and could be used for several convention things but I'm sure part will still be used for East Future World attractions maintenance storage area as it is now.

The old postshow for BW will be used for the Chocolate experience area for this years F&W festival.

Cranium Command could be a nice theater for convention use also but will probably be converted into a kitchen prep area for Food & Wine and to prep food for other events as it has in the past. In the past few years this area has always been used for that purpose.

Not sure what will become of the 3 theater areas in the center of the pavilion but they are freshly painted each year and used for events. When Tom Skaggs toured the pavilion this summer he wanted the carnival atmosphere to disapear and it has.

The roof of the pavilion has been victim to many leaks and still continues to have problems daily. Parts of the inner dome lining (white plastic) has started to sag and tear. Hopefully it will be repaired before F&W opens.

majortom1981

I'm more than passingly familiar with Microsoft's research division and I'd love to see them push more of their stuff into the public eye.

But there's a reason why said division has been (pretty accurately) described as the biggest waste of brain power ever assembled.

How is that? Kinect and microsofts surface table came out of there.

Goofyernmost

If Apple were to sponsor something at Epcot, they would probably mandate that it look exactly like this....no deviations or they sue WDW:

sanfrancisco_hero.jpg

Does this mean that no one can build a cube shaped building anymore without being sued by Apple? I guess it will be back to the reliable geodesic dome design for the rest of us.:eek:

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
well thats a shame, its an awful lot of room for F&W imho. that whole area is so distant from the3 world showcase too, why bring F&W over into future world? just seems so out of place to me.

I have to agree with this. As a long-time attendee of Food & Wine fest, I haven't enjoyed it nearly as much the past couple of years, having to (quite literally) run from WoL to WS in between seminars to sample the dishes at the booths. Really takes away from the festival experience. Not to mention the loss of FW attractions. :(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom