Im hungry bring em back!

wedway71

Original Poster
Im sitting here remembering some of my favorite chain fast food-sit down places to eat that have since closed or down to one or 2 locations too far to go to.
Anybody have any fast food chains they wish that didnt close??? I grew up in Ft.Lauderdale so not sure if the following were regional chains or national but here are some I miss...........

1-Wuvs Hamburgers

2-Wags Family Restaurants

3-Taco Viva

4-Neba Roast Beef

5-The Ground Round

6-Showbiz Pizza

7-Swensens Ice Cream-not sure if closed totally

8-Ranch house Family Restaurants

9-Mr. gumps
Any body else have any they miss????

Uponastar

Im sitting here remembering some of my favorite chain fast food-sit down places to eat that have since closed or down to one or 2 locations too far to go to.
Anybody have any fast food chains they wish that didnt close??? I grew up in Ft.Lauderdale so not sure if the following were regional chains or national but here are some I miss...........

1-Wuvs Hamburgers

2-Wags Family Restaurants

3-Taco Viva

4-Neba Roast Beef

5-The Ground Round

6-Showbiz Pizza

7-Swensens Ice Cream-not sure if closed totally

8-Ranch house Family Restaurants

9-Mr. gumps
Any body else have any they miss????

Of all those listed, I believe The Ground Round was the only one that we had in Philadelphia. It's been gone for a few years now. But I did like that place! Good food!

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
Yes I remember Chi Chis......There was one in Ft Lauderale and it was my dads fave places to eat sooooo every weekend we went there .

Any time there was a special occassion or birthday that's where we would be. Once they all closed here in WNY we would drive to Erie PA (close to 2 hours away :lol: ) to get our chi chi's fix. My entire extended family mourns the loss of Chi-Chi's. :lol:

wedway71

Original Poster
Of all those listed, I believe The Ground Round was the only one that we had in Philadelphia. It's been gone for a few years now. But I did like that place! Good food!

Ground Round was fun as a kid with the popcorn basket on each table and the old silent movies playing on the wide screen tvs.Its been closed for about like 20 years in Ft lauderdale but when I just moved to Indy and driving around saw an old Ground Round building--I almost freaked.

My Step Dad proposed to my mom at Ground Round(mr romantic)-lmao:lol:

wedway71

Original Poster
Any time there was a special occassion or birthday that's where we would be. Once they all closed here in WNY we would drive to Erie PA (close to 2 hours away :lol: ) to get our chi chi's fix. My entire extended family mourns the loss of Chi-Chi's. :lol:

Ok good I dont feel crazy then-I am Huge Sizzler fan.I love Malibu Chicken and when I was in FLA the closest one was in Orlando soooo every time we did Disney I made the family go to Sizzler.Right before we moved to Indy we drove 3 miles to Orlando just to get Sizzler one last time:slurp:

maelstrom

The Ground Round is still around. The one in my town closed, but the one up in Kingston is still open. My friend worked there not too long ago.

Number_6

I remember Ground Round and Chi Chi's. Growing up in Massachusetts, there was a point where I literally lived around the corner from a Ground Round(I could see it from my bedroom window). It was one of my favorite places to eat and I had my birthday there more than once, complete with Bingo the Clown. Most of the Ground Rounds that I knew of closed, but I think there was still one open I could get to before I moved to Orlando. Chi Chi's I didn't go to as often, but my parents and I still would go there on occasion. I think it was only a few years ago that the one location I knew for it in Massachusetts closed.

Wilt Dasney

The only one I recognize from the original list is Showbiz Pizza. My grandparents used to take me and my sister there on daytrips. I believe most of them were converted to Chuck E. Cheese's sometime in the '90s.

(If you listened to the old ad slogans for them -- "Showbiz Pizza/Chuck E. Cheese's...where a kid can be a kid" -- they used the exact same melodies.)

maelstrom

One of our Pizza Huts closed up because the people who owned the land upped the rent from $1500/month to $7000/month. My boyfriend was working there at the time. I was in WDW and didn't get to witness the end festivities. But we have a Pizza Hut lamp sitting around waiting for us to get an apartment to hang it in. Famous Recipe (I think that was kind of like KFC) closed a long time ago. Perkins closed and became an iHop years later but now we have Perkins again in a different location. Mama Pina, a local pizzeria, closed up shop not too long ago. Roy Rogers closed up and became a Boston Market. The Ground Round is now an Indian food place called Saffron. Hawaii Fountain is now You You (don't know about that name). We never had a Sizzler in my town but I think there was one in Poughkeepsie. One of our Burger Kings is also gone for the same reason as Pizza Hut. Luckily we have both of them on the other side of town as well.

The only one I recognize from the original list is Showbiz Pizza. My grandparents used to take me and my sister there on daytrips. I believe most of them were converted to Chuck E. Cheese's sometime in the '90s.

(If you listened to the old ad slogans for them -- "Showbiz Pizza/Chuck E. Cheese's...where a kid can be a kid" -- they used the exact same melodies.)

I thought that sounded familiar. We used to have a Showbiz that was converted to Chuck E Cheese.

My aunt worked at Showbiz...one night she had to fill in for someone as the bear (I don't remember what his name was supposed to be)...anyway...she bent over to hug a kid and her incredibly heavy bear head hit the little kid on the head and he started crying. Oops! I think she was put back on pizza dury after that.

LilDucky

I remember Showbiz pizza because of our Chuck E. Cheese :lol:

The other day, while babysitting 7 and 4 year old girls, I started singing the "Where a kid can be a kid" slogan, and they looked at me like I flipped my lid or something :lol:

I know there are plenty still around, but a couple of years ago, they closed down all the Popeye's in my hometown. :cry: :cry:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom