I'm Getting A Refund!

BigB911

Original Poster
You all know that e-mail Disney sends you when you get back from your vacation with the icons and wallpaper? Well, the link that was sent to me was broken. At the time, I was having problems with my internet, so I dumped my cookies and whatnot and tried again. Still broke. There was another link that took me to a survey site, so I take the survey. In the comments box, I tell the tale of our trip and how lousy a time we had, due in part to the cleanliness of our room, and the fact that I complained three times with no results, and top it off with the broken link, ect.

So, the other day, I wake up to find a voice mail and check the caller ID. ID shows "Hollywood Studios." I listen to the message, and it says that we will be recieving a 40% refund on our room. In addition, we are also recieving 3 2-day passes good at any of the 4 parks good until 2030!:sohappy:

I never asked, nor expected any kind of refund. This has come as sort of a shock and a pleasant surprise! Now we have to go back!:sohappy:

disney4life2008

Interesting, most surveys are confidential. But I have never done a Disney survey to know if they ask for contact information at the end.

Anyway, congrats. I think you will find a mix of people who will congratulate and hate.

Disney05

Funny, I didn't get the survey this year. And I've been back for 2 months. I'm surprised because I stayed at CS. I figured they'd want opinions on the renovations. :shrug:

harveyt0206

Wow, that is wonderful. Once again it just shows that Disney really does care about it's visitors, especially repeat visitors.

MissM

Wow, you're lucky. Both Love and I and our friend who just stayed over for the first time ever had problems on our stays, and we were given a measly $28 back each which they said was the upgrade price from standard room.

I thought to get back $28 was more insulting then getting nothing honestly. Made me really not want to stay over on property ever again.

(Oh and the $28 will take 2-3 months to receive. Lame.)

addcogulf

The same thing happened to me last year. We had a room in the Contemporary for five nights, and it was a disaster. They never made up the bed, cleaned the room, and I did not get the room I requested. I complained numerous times with management, so there was a record of my complaints, but nothing was done about them on my vacation. After I was home, I recieved a survey letter for the computer, So I backed up me survey with all of the complaints. After a few days, a top manager from Disney called me and gave me two free nights in any deluxe hotel of me choice due to the terrible service I recieved. Disney does care, and if there are warranted complaints, they sure dont want to lose valued customers.:)

Tom

Beta Return
Ugh

I guess I'll be in the "hate" category.

I admire the OP for not expecting any compensation, so I'll leave him/her out of my soapbox.

When people begin expecting monetary compensation for their inconveniences, that just furthers the decline of our society. A broken link in an email is about the worst example of a reason to complain to Disney or expect something (again, not aimed at OP).

Saying a trip was ruined or bad because of some dirty glasses in the room is a tad over-reactive. And then to say that Disney should have given you MORE money back, let alone ANY, is pretty selfish.

All Disney owes anyone is an apology. They don't OWE anyone any money unless they've actually caused monetary damages (wrong level room booked, no maid service at all, meal plan error).

The 40% off and tickets that the OP got is way beyond what I would ever expect Disney to do for a complaint about maid service. Quite amazing, and shocking.

sweetpee_1993

I admire the OP for not expecting any compensation, so I'll leave him/her out of my soapbox.

When people begin expecting monetary compensation for their inconveniences, that just furthers the decline of our society. A broken link in an email is about the worst example of a reason to complain to Disney or expect something (again, not aimed at OP).

Saying a trip was ruined or bad because of some dirty glasses in the room is a tad over-reactive. And then to say that Disney should have given you MORE money back, let alone ANY, is pretty selfish.

All Disney owes anyone is an apology. They don't OWE anyone any money unless they've actually caused monetary damages (wrong level room booked, no maid service at all, meal plan error).

The 40% off and tickets that the OP got is way beyond what I would ever expect Disney to do for a complaint about maid service. Quite amazing, and shocking.

I totally get what you're saying and all because there are some people out there who expect huge compensations for their bad experiences which gets ya all irked-out because it's that annoying sense-of-entitlement thing. ((Totally NOT directed to any other posters in this thread!))

However, if you look at this from a business stand-point giving any refund, particularly the OP's wonderful compensation deal, it's really a smart thing to do. If a guest is totally disgusted with their experience there's a big risk that they won't return and will take their business elsewhere. If Disney makes like the care, shells out a little extra now, then they know they're more likely to get you back on their property again. In fact, the average person would likely be so tickled by the feeling that they in particular are cared for by Disney they'll be running back with open arms. Seriously. Another poster said they were given 2 free nights in the deluxe hotel of their choice on a return visit. How smart is that?! Who goes to WDW for 2 nights??? Most people go for 5 - 7 nights. They're still getting you to pay for 3-5 nights PLUS sell you food, trinkets, yaddah yaddah yaddah. The OP was given 2-day passes. Who's gonna travel all the way to WDW & only spend 2 days in the parks??? Yep. Smart, I tell you. Smart.

And, yes, Disney should care for each and every one of their guests. It's the right thing to do. Plus, return guests bring a lot of $$ to the table. That should amount to something with the ever-hungry Mouse. :wave:

jeffk410

Congrats. That is great for you. But I agree with the previous poster above. I do not think it is wrong for Disney to do this. In the long run they will most likely gain money from this. It is great from a business standpoint. Sure the OP got 40 percent refund, but by Disney giving them this refund and giving them passes it will lure them to come back. Where as if they were really this unhappy they might not have come back. It is really a smart idea from a business standpoint.

_Scar

I thought this was going to be a rant on Disney and how WDW's CMs suck or something, but I was pleasantly surprised.

Very cool story. Makes me proud to be a Disney addict. :)

Tom

Beta Return
I totally get what you're saying and all because there are some people out there who expect huge compensations for their bad experiences which gets ya all irked-out because it's that annoying sense-of-entitlement thing. ((Totally NOT directed to any other posters in this thread!))

However, if you look at this from a business stand-point giving any refund, particularly the OP's wonderful compensation deal, it's really a smart thing to do. If a guest is totally disgusted with their experience there's a big risk that they won't return and will take their business elsewhere. If Disney makes like the care, shells out a little extra now, then they know they're more likely to get you back on their property again. In fact, the average person would likely be so tickled by the feeling that they in particular are cared for by Disney they'll be running back with open arms. Seriously. Another poster said they were given 2 free nights in the deluxe hotel of their choice on a return visit. How smart is that?! Who goes to WDW for 2 nights??? Most people go for 5 - 7 nights. They're still getting you to pay for 3-5 nights PLUS sell you food, trinkets, yaddah yaddah yaddah. The OP was given 2-day passes. Who's gonna travel all the way to WDW & only spend 2 days in the parks??? Yep. Smart, I tell you. Smart.

And, yes, Disney should care for each and every one of their guests. It's the right thing to do. Plus, return guests bring a lot of $$ to the table. That should amount to something with the ever-hungry Mouse. :wave:

I definitely agree that it's a good business move on Disney's part. It's called "Guest Recovery" in their handbook.

I just despise those who think they "deserve" or "earned" compensation because of inconveniences. A bad link in an email is something you usually just ignore - unless it was THE link that was to confirm your booking or make final payment on your deposit.

If I checked in and found some pooh all over my bathroom, I'd probably demand another room - but if I still received benefit of a room, I wouldn't expect any money back. Likewise, if I checked in and found that they forgot to refill the toilet paper or change the sheets on a bed, I'd just call and ask them to come right down and finish the job - then move on with life.

I just wish more people would understand that "Walt Disney" himself doesn't run every aspect of Disney World - it's all people. People make mistakes. If a maid forgets something, they won't know until a guest tells them, and then just making it right should be good enough. If they throw in a free Fastpass, that's cool. Someone expecting $30 instead of $28 is just ridiculous in my book.

kimmychad

I definitely agree that it's a good business move on Disney's part. It's called "Guest Recovery" in their handbook.

I just despise those who think they "deserve" or "earned" compensation because of inconveniences. A bad link in an email is something you usually just ignore - unless it was THE link that was to confirm your booking or make final payment on your deposit.

If I checked in and found some pooh all over my bathroom, I'd probably demand another room - but if I still received benefit of a room, I wouldn't expect any money back. Likewise, if I checked in and found that they forgot to refill the toilet paper or change the sheets on a bed, I'd just call and ask them to come right down and finish the job - then move on with life.

I just wish more people would understand that "Walt Disney" himself doesn't run every aspect of Disney World - it's all people. People make mistakes. If a maid forgets something, they won't know until a guest tells them, and then just making it right should be good enough. If they throw in a free Fastpass, that's cool. Someone expecting $30 instead of $28 is just ridiculous in my book.

when people complain on here about the price of parking or mini golf going up their slammed because someone will say they dont have to go. but when someone expects their money's worth for something that's horrendeously overpriced, that's wrong too?

last year when we took the family to disney the keys they gave us wouldn't work. ok fine, someone ran us some new keys to the room we were assigned to. those keys worked, however the room was already occupied! so of course we had to be reassigned another room, with new keys. so yes I complained and totally expected and received a refund, in the amount of a nights stay at my resort.

disney set high standards for themselves because they want hordes of people to come, and most of the time they exceed those standards, but when they make a mistake they should be fairly compensating a guest.

I_heart_Tigger

I'll be one between the congrats and the haters. So congrats to the OP for getting great guest service recovery from Disney and I'm a hater because I'm jealous.

My last stay I found somone else's underwear in my room and the only response I got was that I could just throw them in the garbage unless they want me to have them send housekeeping to come pick them up.

No apology, or discount and still no one cared when I found someone else's night gown a few days later. Creepy and disgusting if you ask me...but no one did. :shrug: No explaination or apology or compensation.

So congrats for getting some freebies and money back :sohappy: and hisss...booo....because I'm jealous :mad:

smk

I'll be one between the congrats and the haters. So congrats to the OP for getting great guest service recovery from Disney and I'm a hater because I'm jealous.

My last stay I found somone else's underwear in my room and the only response I got was that I could just throw them in the garbage unless they want me to have them send housekeeping to come pick them up.

No apology, or discount and still no one cared when I found someone else's night gown a few days later. Creepy and disgusting if you ask me...but no one did. :shrug: No explaination or apology or compensation.

So congrats for getting some freebies and money back :sohappy: and hisss...booo....because I'm jealous :mad:

See, I find this inexcusable (if that is a word). Let me state the obvious, I love WDW. However, the OP had terrible service at his resort and this poster had someones underwear in his room? If a hotel anywhere fails to meet basic standards of cleanliness then why would a customer ever go back? Why would this be different for a hotel on WDW property or the Hilton down the street? Of course WDW or Hilton has an obligation to make it right anyway they see fit. If that is a 40% refund and tickets then so be it. I think this poster should have recieved a credit on his room account as well. I would be disgusted to find someones undergarments in a room I am paying good money to rent, and I would doubt the cleanliness of the entire room. I would expect housekeeping to come immediately and re-clean the room at the very least. And yes, I would expect a financial compensation if they didn't.

sweetpee_1993

OMG! THat soooo happened to us our 1st stay at the Contemporary! LOL! I went to put the kids clothes in one of the drawers and there was a pair of black thongs left behind. I was totally ewww'd by it even tho, obviously or hopefully, they were clean. :lookaroun The dust & filth & mess in the toilet & potty room were pretty inexcusable. We made a quick list of everything that needed fixing & dropped it at the front desk on our way out to the parks. Everything was perfect when we returned. I was so sorely disappointed at the time because it was my 1st deluxe stay & dream accommodation. It was a big ol' fat thud of a fall back to reality. I paid $445/night for that which was a big jump from all our previous trips at Pop. :lol: We didn't receive any freebies which is fine. They addressed the problems we had.

Maybe we made up for it last January when we were constantly running down the mousekeeper for more lotion. I bet we went thru like 20 bottles of the lotion. :lol:

BigB911

Original Poster

Maybe I should provide a bit more info. On our first trip, DD was sick the entire time because she has pretty bad allergies and our room was very dusty. When I booked the bounceback, while in our dusty room, I mentioned this to the CM. She suggested we request a deep clean on our room for the next trip (Sept. 09). I should mention here that we did not pay any extra for this deep clean. I don't know if it was due to a medical condition or not.

So, when we walk into our room at POP, we notice an air filter, and thought that was pretty cool. But, upon further inspection, we found some sort of substance spilled on the wall recently (it was sticky), pubic hairs on the bathroom floor, a layer of dust on just about everything, and a layer of dirt on the air filter (as if it was just pulled out of storage.) I complained at the front desk, and the next day we find that the air filter was cleaned, but that was about it. I complained the next day, but nothing was any cleaner whatsover. I complained the day after that, and still nothing was done. After that, we kept the privacy sign in the card reader and cleaned the room ourselves. This whole situation left us quite miserable. Here we are, paying to stay at this resort, and can't even get a clean room. I could understand if it was a Motel 6 or something, but this is Disney and the room should be clean. Throw in some rude CM's at the parks, and we left not ever wanting to go back.

When I come home to find that e-mail with the broken link, it was like a slap in the face. It was like, "OK we know you had a miserable time, so here's a thank you e-mail to some goodies you can never see because we sent you a broken link."

So, when I took the survey, yeah I went off a little. I took my frustration and anger out on the responsible party. And, I will reiterate, I never once asked for nor expected a refund. But, you know what? I feel I am entitled to it, along with a very nice apology, for having to clean my own room, because housekeeping was too incompetent and lazy to get it done right.

I could see if the infraction was minor, but having to clean ones own room when there is housekeeping that should be doing it is not minor. :rolleyes::hammer:

TURKEY

When I come home to find that e-mail with the broken link, it was like a slap in the face. It was like, "OK we know you had a miserable time, so here's a thank you e-mail to some goodies you can never see because we sent you a broken link."

So, when I took the survey, yeah I went off a little. I took my frustration and anger out on the responsible party. And, I will reiterate, I never once asked for nor expected a refund. But, you know what? I feel I am entitled to it, along with a very nice apology, for having to clean my own room, because housekeeping was too incompetent and lazy to get it done right.

The broken link shouldn't come into your thoughts/complaints. It's similar to you going to see a movie, but the movie theater has 1 copy of the film and it breaks. They don't compensate you in any way, but you come away bad mouthing the movie because you didn't get to see all of it (best I could come up with this AM).

This is 2 separate departments that have absolutely nothing to do with each other. If you went over the character limit (it didn't use to tell you), half your comments would be cut off as well.

I'm actually surprised you got anything based on the survey. You should have kept escalating to speak to a housekeeping manager since it was a housekeeping issue you had. If that didn't work, go to the room operations manager. That should have been followed up with letters to guest communications.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom