Illuminations Globe

HMF

I understand that, there's plenty of people who want to want to see the globe refurbed, but it also seems like there are quite a few who think the IllumiNations would be better without it. This completely befuddles me. Are they just looking for instant gratification with the fireworks? Do they not grasp the concept of representing the relatively quiet period of Earth's history while life slowly came into being and evolve?
That is the big problem I have with the concept of a replacement. ROE has a "timeless story".

Mr.EPCOT

I strongly believe that the vast majority of guests who see RoE have absolutely no idea of the story it is telling. They therefore see the show as lights, a fire, a globe showing abtract images, and fireworks. Out of those elements, the part they like best are the fireworks, and the other parts, that help tell the story, are irrelevent to them.

That's what I was afraid of, such a shame. That doesn't bode well for improving EPCOT.

Vernonpush

I strongly believe that the vast majority of guests who see RoE have absolutely no idea of the story it is telling. They therefore see the show as lights, a fire, a globe showing abtract images, and fireworks. Out of those elements, the part they like best are the fireworks, and the other parts, that help tell the story, are irrelevent to them.

That's what I was afraid of, such a shame. That doesn't bode well for improving EPCOT.

But those are the guests that "went to Universal Studios yesterday and rode the Haunted Mansion Tower and the Mr. Potatohead ride, and are going to Disney World tomorrow". Some people have no idea what they're seeing. I am glad that Disney does not pander to the lowest common denomiantor and can give those of us who can see it, "a story", while pleasing the "unwashed masses".

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
For better or for worse, EPCOT has gone. Epcot is the simpler version for the majority of todays guests, the sort who don`t understand or want to understand a story on a floating LCD globe.

Mr.EPCOT

For better or for worse, EPCOT has gone. Epcot is the simpler version for the majority of todays guests, the sort who don`t understand or want to understand a story on a floating LCD globe.

I will always hold hope for EPCOT, despite the Epcot of recent years, and especially because of the park that instilled that relentless feeling in me when I was younger.

HMF

But those are the guests that "went to Universal Studios yesterday and rode the Haunted Mansion Tower and the Mr. Potatohead ride, and are going to Disney World tomorrow". Some people have no idea what they're seeing. I am glad that Disney does not pander to the lowest common denomiantor and can give those of us who can see it, "a story", while pleasing the "unwashed masses".
I could go on all day about how "Dumbed Down' our culture is becoming.:mad:

EPCOT Explorer

I consider Epcot '94 to be the when the park started losing its soul. With the name change and especially the loss of CommuniCore, the future didn't really look bright.
Kinda...BUT-
While EPCOT changed then, I actually see that as it's most appealing state.It was more "Kid friendly" but still had the core values of EPCOT Center.

WDW Monorail

I understand that, there's plenty of people who want to want to see the globe refurbed, but it also seems like there are quite a few who think the IllumiNations would be better without it. This completely befuddles me. Are they just looking for instant gratification with the fireworks? Do they not grasp the concept of representing the relatively quiet period of Earth's history while life slowly came into being and evolve?

That is the big problem I have with the concept of a replacement. ROE has a "timeless story".

Agreed entirely.

And I would rather not have a return of the original IllumiNations. To me, the original and inspirational soundtrack is much more meaningful than the classical pieces.

I am actually very apprehensive about I:SD, just as much as I was pre-SSE refurb. Now, post-SSE refurb, I have even more reason to be apprehensive.

Ailtara

So....wondering if Epcot visitors just saw the last pre-globe refurb performance of illuminations ROE?
Hahaha, and what a terrible show it was!

I'd rather this show tonight be the last globe show before refurb, though, than them pushing it back... again... and again... and again...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom