Illuminations...am I the only one?

Ashitaka

NO you are not. Illuminations was AWESOME in the early nineties but when they changed it, especially dropped all the classic music, it lost most of its spirit. The new music is BOOOOOOOOORING. The fireworks are less impressive too. To me Illuminations is definitely not a "must-see" as it was in 1991.
I'll have to agree with this. I was far more impressed with the version I first saw in the early '90s. I could easily want to see that a couple times a vacation if we could fit it in.

But ROE? This last time we didn't see it as I was too exhausted from a long day of travel and then touring World Showcase. And I didn't feel I had missed a thing.

Timmay

NO you are not. Illuminations was AWESOME in the early nineties but when they changed it, especially dropped all the classic music, it lost most of its spirit. The new music is BOOOOOOOOORING. The fireworks are less impressive too. To me Illuminations is definitely not a "must-see" as it was in 1991.

Spot on.

DisneyMusician2

Sorry, not here.

Still my favorite nighttime show. I find it highly superior to Wishes at MK. My wife and I were really not impressed with that one.

DisneyMusician2

I do miss the old music, though. It really was awesome.

MousDad

Okay, I'm going to have to listen to the old score all the way through, because the few times I've started it I turned it off half way through because I thought it was so boring. It came across as an incohesive, slow-moving compilation to me.

I have no clue how anyone could say the new score is boring. I do realize everyone's taste is different.

kristalovesWDW

are you serious? ahh...it makes me cry like a baby. haha. but it's not the BEST show there, i'll give you that much. fantasmic is my number one choice. wishes is number two, then illuminations. unfortunately, i didn't get to see wishes this year because of that stupid pirate/princess party.

tirian

Illuminations and Wishes tie as my favorite WDW night shows; they're so different I can't compare them.

The rest of my family doesn't like Illuminations; they complain that they'd rather do something than watch a badly lit ball rotate in the middle of a lake.

None of us likes Fantasmic very much—neither the WDW or DL versions.

aykay002

I feel the same way. I am NOT impressed with Illuminations at all. In fact, I usually find myself people watching during it. While watching Spectro or Fant, however, my eyes are glued to it. Couldn't peel me away for anything!

hpyhnt 1000

Okay, I'm going to have to listen to the old score all the way through, because the few times I've started it I turned it off half way through because I thought it was so boring. It came across as an incohesive, slow-moving compilation to me.

I have no clue how anyone could say the new score is boring. I do realize everyone's taste is different.

Yeah, I'm going to have to give it another listen, too. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the old score just a bunch of classical music clips kind of spliced together to make the score? I know that each of the clips represented a different country in World Showcase, but really, whats so creative about taking bits and pieces of already existing music and putting them together?

The score for RoE was created specifically for the show. Its not just a bunch of classical music clips, but an original score created specifically for the show. Not only is it more creative, it is a beautiful piece of music that flows together as an entire unit instead of individual clips. (IMHO of course)

Also, to anyone who doesn't understand the show, PLEASE check out the show notes on this website. The show becomes so much more powerful once you know and understand the meaning and message behind the fireworks.

Here's the link for anyone interested. Scroll to the bottom and read the "OVERVIEW" section.
http://www.wdwmagic.com/illum_2000_the_show.htm

tirian

It comes across as a shallow, commercial display with no special warmth or real depth. :)

Okay, I'll agree with you here. Disney needs to bring back the ORIGINAL version of Holiday Illuminations. It felt more sincere and less PC. But I think Disney removed the full version to avoid offending people who don't celebrate Christmas...

...and that's where it gets stupid. If you're coming to a theme park in the Western Hemisphere in the middle of December, you should expect references to America's most popular holiday. If the holiday offends you, come during another time of year; but don't try to make everyone else scale back their celebrations to make you happy.

Off Topic: Have you ever seen the seasonal Mickey stage show at the MK? They go through great lengths to never say "Christmas"; the characters say Happy Holidays, Season's Greetings, etc., but never "Christmas." I'm not easily offended, but the fact that this show only plays during MVMCP makes the whole "we don't want to offend anybody" thing look just plain dumb. The characters are singing Christmas carols and they're wearing red and green. Everybody knows they're not celebrating Valentine's Day. Sometimes Disney Entertainment takes the PC thing way too far. :fork:

In Europe and Japan, everybody knows the holiday is named Christmas, and whether you celebrate it or not, it's just a name. America is the only country where everyone makes such a big deal over not trying to offend anybody. Get over it, people.

Back On-Topic: ...And bring back the full version of Holiday Illuminations. :D

MousDad

Yeah, I'm going to have to give it another listen, too. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the old score just a bunch of classical music clips kind of spliced together to make the score? I know that each of the clips represented a different country in World Showcase, but really, whats so creative about taking bits and pieces of already existing music and putting them together?

The score for RoE was created specifically for the show. Its not just a bunch of classical music clips, but an original score created specifically for the show. Not only is it more creative, it is a beautiful piece of music that flows together as an entire unit instead of individual clips. (IMHO of course)

That was my impression. Kind of like the France film. Although, I think Golden Dream was worked in too (could be wrong on that).

I so much prefer a dynamic, original composition.

tdonald

I just want to say that I love IllumiNations, because it's more than just fireworks. It has a story, it's meaningful, and has great music. If I could change anything about it, I would only make it longer.

coltow

I'm kind of over Illuminations too. The first time was great, the second time okay, now I'd rather not deal with the crowd and you have to stake out your place so far ahead of time to get decent viewing
Me too. I feel like unless you stake out a spot hours before you don't get to see the whole show. There are so many trees and other view obstructions that make it next to impossible to be able to view the whole lake and countries. At least with Wishes and Fantasmic is is possible to get a spot just before the show and not miss a thing. DH and I have played the waiting game a few times, but now we just tend to skip it. DS has been 3 times and has yet to see it. We are going to play it by ear this summer if we do it or not.

cooleo

:D I think you might be posting a change of heart this year. ;)

You haven't seen anything until you see the Christmas version of Reflections of Earth.

As for finding the meaning...We Go On gets me everytime. I'm a tough guy, but that song strikes a cord every time I hear it and I get a little teary eyed. *sniff* I think what sets it above everything else for me is the fact that there is nothing about Disney in it. Its about life, love, hard times, how we got here, and where we're headed. Makes you want to hug the person beside you. By the way, wouldn't do that if the person beside isn't someone you know. :p I kept getting strange looks. :lol:

This completely sums it up for me as well. It is a very powerful & moving rendition. "We Go On" is undoubtedly one of the best music scores ever performed written for a Disney fireworks performance. :cool:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom