Trip Report I'll stop the World and Melt with you.

_DSC4851-X3.jpg

It's been two years since my family and I visited WDW. Two long years. Thankfully, my son Sterg and I got a three day Disney fix last summer at Disneyland.

Curiously, this trip report is being written at a time when a lot of negative Disney vibe is emanating from other regions of WDWMagic - as it was two years ago. The Doom & Gloom is running free and wild. I'm just thankful I stayed clear of most of it before our trip because I may have cancelled what turned out to be an amazing time. It is also fortunate that we got this trip in because from the sound of things there may not be a WDW to go to in a few years.

To be truthful, some things that Disney has done has me scratching my head; but this is neither the time nor place to discuss it. Putting that aside - let's get on with the trip report!

We left on Sunday July 21st. Maybe the longest day of my life. The night before, my oldest daughter Alex went to see Taylor Swift in Philadelphia ( about 50 miles away ) and due to a long rain delay she didn't make it home until 2 am. This meant that she would not go to sleep since we were being picked up at 3 am for the drive to Philly airport for our 6 am flight. At least we were supposed to be picked up at 3am.

Here is my Mom ( Yia-Yia )and my youngest daughter Antonia ( Toni ) up and ready at 3 in the morning waiting for our ride. Yia-Yia ( grandmother in Greek ) is 77 years old and joining us for the first time on a Disney adventure. Toni is now almost 12 and the little Yorki-poo in the front is Prince. Prince is short for Prince Charming ( named by Toni ).

_DSC4415%20-%20Copy-X3.jpg

When the driver didn't show up by 3:15 I started to worry. I called the limo company at the same time he called me to tell me he was lost. I reeled him in and we were on our way by 3:30. The drive down was nerve wracking as I kept watching the clock and praying for no delays. That is until our driver eased my tension by telling us his son works for Disney and he goes down to the World 4 or 5 times a year. The resulting Disney conversation lasted until we hit the airport around 4:30.

More tension as we went through security. My carry on was stopped in the machine and I was pulled aside. I had put a container of Vitamin C powder in my bag that garnered some attention. Of course, my Mom came over as I was being held and my bag inspected.

"Why didn't you put that in your suitcase, Christo?" she said to me in her Greek accented voice.

"Mom, please go wait over there" I responded.

"No, I want to see what they are doing" Then she followed with this one for the TSA officer.

"It's not drugs, my son doesn't do cocaine!"

OK, I thought. I'm definitely going to be held in some prison cell for the next week.

After the chemical test proved my Mother correct, I was allowed to go on my way. We had time to grab coffee and some food and make it on the Southwest plane to Orlando. A plane full of smiling happy faces! Including these;

This is my wife Val ( not the biggest of Disney fans ), with Yia-Yia in the middle and Alex by the window.

_DSC4425-X2.jpg

On the other side was yours truly sporting a Hawaiian shirt ( since we were staying at the Poly ), Toni and Sterg.

_DSC4426-L.jpg

Before we knew it we were up in the clouds...

_DSC4417-X3.jpg

Last edited:

epcotisbest

Thank you for the TR and your final thoughts. For us, we are looking forward to the Poly DVC someday. I have to agree BC over Poly, though we do like the Brady Bunch era feel of Poly. The decor, brightness and overall feel of BC wins out. We could, and have, spent the better part of an entire day at Stormalong Bay. Love the sand bottom.
We spend much less time at the parks these days and it could be we would go just to enjoy the resorts. We still like WL as well as any. Boardwalk was pretty special as well. Now that we are doing DVC for the past several years, it may be those new villas at GF sometime as well.
Commented on your photography several times...good hobby you have there. I have a Nikon DSLR, several lenses, battery grip, tripod, monopod, remote shutter...the works, but prefer to carry a small Canon ELPH these days. I wish I was passionate about photography, but I used to work in media and the camera was a tool for the job and now that I am no longer doing that, it brings back more unpleasant than pleasant memories. I will never have to again take photos of fatal wrecks or crying families while their house burns down. Oh, there were good times as well, including some award winning shots, but haven't picked up the DSLR since I quit two years ago. At this point I don't miss it.
You have a good eye for composition, and that is much more important than camera choice, but it looks like that NEX is a good choice.
Got long winded and did not mean to.
Thanks again for the TR. One last thing...you have a lovely family and seem very blessed.

Last edited:

fractal

Original Poster
I'm so sad that your trip report is over!!! I have loved following along with your hysterical family and seeing your amazing photos! Thanks so much for sharing!!!!
I have to ask- I noticed Alex had a W & J tshirt on. Our friends brother is a teacher and coach there. Does Alex go there? Such a small world!!!! :)

Thanks mishel!

you take some great pictures, ive enjoyed reading your trip reports.

the fisheye lens seems pretty cool stuff too

thanks! I had fun with the fisheye!

Another Fractal TR done :(. I may have to re-read this one in a couple months just to get me by!
I enjoy reading TR's but there are few (if any) I like reading more than yours. Its like reading a good short story. You have a way with storytelling that draws us in and your photography only helps move the story all the more.
Excellent job with the TR and I look forward to another installment, perhaps next year?? (I'd send you cash to help pay for another trip, but I kinda have to save it for my own!!)

Thanks DisneyBergh! I appreciate the offer, but let's get you down there! :)

I enjoyed this trip report so much ...I recently came back from WDW with 3 kids aged 24,19 and 15. I was so amazed at the many emotions that you wrote about that I had also. Many people asked why I was continuing to bring the kids to Disney as they felt they were "too old" but I loved the time I got to be with them both individually and as a family. We had a wonderful time and despite a few flared tempers (very short lived) it was a beautiful memory maker. You have a wonderful storytelling ability and your photos were breathtaking. Thanks so much...

Thanks Pixie! So glad to hear that you still take your kids at that age - gives me some hope. :) WDW is a great memory maker! Thanks for reading!

Thank you for the TR and your final thoughts. For us, we are looking forward to the Poly DVC someday. I have to agree BC over Poly, though we do like the Brady Bunch era feel of Poly. The decor, brightness and overall feel of BC wins out. We could, and have, spent the better part of an entire day at Stormalong Bay. Love the sand bottom.
We spend much less time at the parks these days and it could be we would go just to enjoy the resorts. We still like WL as well as any. Boardwalk was pretty special as well. Now that we are doing DVC for the past several years, it may be those new villas at GF sometime as well.
Commented on your photography several times...good hobby you have there. I have a Nikon DSLR, several lenses, battery grip, tripod, monopod, remote shutter...the works, but prefer to carry a small Canon ELPH these days. I wish I was passionate about photography, but I used to work in media and the camera was a tool for the job and now that I am no longer doing that, it brings back more unpleasant than pleasant memories. I will never have to again take photos of fatal wrecks or crying families while their house burns down. Oh, there were good times as well, including some award winning shots, but haven't picked up the DSLR since I quit two years ago. At this point I don't miss it.
You have a good eye for composition, and that is much more important than camera choice, but it looks like that NEX is a good choice.
Got long winded and did not mean to.
Thanks again for the TR. One last thing...you have a lovely family and seem very blessed.

Thank you again! I enjoyed what we saw of WL and those GL villas look gorgeous! I can see how your previous job can spoil things from behind the lens. I hope you get some of the passion back - especially with all the future DVC memories coming up. Thanks for the compliment - I do love the size and performance of the camera. I appreciate you reading along and thank you, I am blessed. :)

Last edited:

HouCuseChickie

I swear...I've started writing my "final" comment on this TR a good 3 or 4x, but I either get so long winded or wind up on some odd tangent...imagine that. Ultimately, while I loved seeing the photos with this great new camera of yours, it was the family dynamic here that really made it a great TR for me. I also hit that part at the end where I was sitting on the couch saying "I do that too!" And while I got an odd look from DH...ooops...it's that looking at people when you hit the tail end of your trip and wondering how many have just started their vacation. Sadly, I'm about to get to that part of my TR as well. I also appreciate your honesty...especially with the Poly. I've often wondered if I've made a mistake not insisting we stay there for at least one trip...but it just never wowed me. I can certainly see a number of the attributes you've noted, but I also don't know if I can justify it with some of the shortcomings. I know WDW is not Val's fave, but maybe you can plot a trip to DLP or even DL Tokyo so we can get another Fractal TR! Thanks for sharing the trip w/us :)

FlaggNL

hej Fractal, thank you so much for the more than fantastic trip report! This is the new standard for trip reports :) Love it from beginning to end and makes me feel so jealous that the chance to be in WDW for me is not that big! Like I said before, we stick by DLP until then! Thanks for sharing everything!!!

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I had a lot of fun living your vacation through this trip report. Time well spent.

As I was reading the report what I enjoyed the most is how your family vacations. How you took advantage of the longer trips. It reminds me of when my family was younger and we just flew by the seat of our pants. Having the flexibility to allow some to sleep, some hit the parks or just read a book makes for successful vacations. It was nice when Yia Yia and Val would just head back to the resort when they had enough. Or Val hung back to enjoy the resort while everyone else was in park commando mode. Or your kids went on rides and you enjoyed yourself photographing. The flexibility your family has makes for less stress and happy campers at the World. Nobody crabby from being ripped out of bed when they are still tired.

I'm tending to agree with you about the Dining Plan and the sit down meals. The last 2 trips I've noticed how we are trying to fit in a show or an attraction and can't squeeze it in because we had an ADR sneaking up on us.
Also that we are missing some of the best snacks around the world because we are just too full to enjoy or even want them after large table service meals. And yep, 2 credits for a meal is crazy, makes more fiscal sense to pay for signatures out of pocket unless the dining plan is free. Free is free.

fractal

Original Poster
I swear...I've started writing my "final" comment on this TR a good 3 or 4x, but I either get so long winded or wind up on some odd tangent...imagine that. Ultimately, while I loved seeing the photos with this great new camera of yours, it was the family dynamic here that really made it a great TR for me. I also hit that part at the end where I was sitting on the couch saying "I do that too!" And while I got an odd look from DH...ooops...it's that looking at people when you hit the tail end of your trip and wondering how many have just started their vacation. Sadly, I'm about to get to that part of my TR as well. I also appreciate your honesty...especially with the Poly. I've often wondered if I've made a mistake not insisting we stay there for at least one trip...but it just never wowed me. I can certainly see a number of the attributes you've noted, but I also don't know if I can justify it with some of the shortcomings. I know WDW is not Val's fave, but maybe you can plot a trip to DLP or even DL Tokyo so we can get another Fractal TR! Thanks for sharing the trip w/us :)

Thanks Sandy, enjoying yours as well! That last day is tough. I was glad we stayed at the Poly, I can see why it's a favorite for many ( especially if you spend a lot of time in MK ), however the BC seems like a slightly better fit for us. Right now we are thinking about going to Greece with Yia-Yia next year so a Disney trip is more likely in 2015.

hej Fractal, thank you so much for the more than fantastic trip report! This is the new standard for trip reports :) Love it from beginning to end and makes me feel so jealous that the chance to be in WDW for me is not that big! Like I said before, we stick by DLP until then! Thanks for sharing everything!!!

Flagg, thanks for reading! I love your enthusiasm and if I ever make it to DLP I'm going to look you up!

awesome report!!

Thanks!

I had a lot of fun living your vacation through this trip report. Time well spent.

As I was reading the report what I enjoyed the most is how your family vacations. How you took advantage of the longer trips. It reminds me of when my family was younger and we just flew by the seat of our pants. Having the flexibility to allow some to sleep, some hit the parks or just read a book makes for successful vacations. It was nice when Yia Yia and Val would just head back to the resort when they had enough. Or Val hung back to enjoy the resort while everyone else was in park commando mode. Or your kids went on rides and you enjoyed yourself photographing. The flexibility your family has makes for less stress and happy campers at the World. Nobody crabby from being ripped out of bed when they are still tired.

I'm tending to agree with you about the Dining Plan and the sit down meals. The last 2 trips I've noticed how we are trying to fit in a show or an attraction and can't squeeze it in because we had an ADR sneaking up on us.
Also that we are missing some of the best snacks around the world because we are just too full to enjoy or even want them after large table service meals. And yep, 2 credits for a meal is crazy, makes more fiscal sense to pay for signatures out of pocket unless the dining plan is free. Free is free.

I started that strategy on our last trip. Before that, Val would hate having to get up early so we could fit everything in our schedule. I used to make color coded charts with everything planned out - they I realized I also didn't enjoy being around the family when half of them were grumpy and complaining. The dining plan is great in many ways, but as you said, it also gives you less flexibility during the day - I think we will drop it next time. Thanks for reading and commenting!

Disney80

Chris, amazing trip reporting that I am sad has come to an end... until next time of course!

I had some catching up to do since last time I posted. (I got a new position at work and was training for a few weeks)...

I want to thank you for the comments, the storytelling and the amazing pictures. I found myself smiling at some parts here and there *LOL*

Until next time.

Karine

EnchantedRose

Great TR! I love reading other Disney Fans trip reports, and how they see the Magic. It also gets me excited for my own trip - 17 days to go!

You took some amazing pictures. I wish I had the patience to really learn how to use my DSLR! Right now our lens is messed up and will NOT auto focus...and I'm afraid of manual focus! :banghead: I feel that with a 6 year old and 9 Month old I need a quick shot camera that does it all on it's own! Maybe one of these days I'll sit with it and TRY to learn a few tricks! In the meantime i do love seeing others photography of Disney! It really does have some amazing scenery for great pictures!
'

Tinkerbella16

Awesome Trip Report! The end of the trip is always so depressing.. I get depressed just reading the end of TR's!!!

Your son is a spitting image of you! LOL

fractal

Original Poster
Chris, amazing trip reporting that I am sad has come to an end... until next time of course!

I had some catching up to do since last time I posted. (I got a new position at work and was training for a few weeks)...

I want to thank you for the comments, the storytelling and the amazing pictures. I found myself smiling at some parts here and there *LOL*

Until next time.

Karine

Thank you Karine! Good luck in your new position!

Great TR! I love reading other Disney Fans trip reports, and how they see the Magic. It also gets me excited for my own trip - 17 days to go!

You took some amazing pictures. I wish I had the patience to really learn how to use my DSLR! Right now our lens is messed up and will NOT auto focus...and I'm afraid of manual focus! :banghead: I feel that with a 6 year old and 9 Month old I need a quick shot camera that does it all on it's own! Maybe one of these days I'll sit with it and TRY to learn a few tricks! In the meantime i do love seeing others photography of Disney! It really does have some amazing scenery for great pictures!
'

Thanks Enchanted Rose. I would try to learn a few basics on photography - take the camera out of "auto" and experiment. I took dozens of crappy pictures for a long time ( still do ) but the great thing about digital vs film is that picture are cheap. Keep shooting and learning!

Awesome Trip Report! The end of the trip is always so depressing.. I get depressed just reading the end of TR's!!!

Your son is a spitting image of you! LOL

Thanks tinkgrl! You looks like me, but luckily for him he's not built like his "stocky" Dad. :D

sweetpee_1993

Wanted to tell ya that yesterday on my way home from dropping Brian at driving school Modern English/I'll Stop the World & Melt With You came on the satellite radio...I think 80s on 8. First thing that popped in my head? You & your family! LOL! For the rest of my life I'll happily sing along with somewhat random thoughts of a very cool family traversing WDW in the dead of summer dancing along in my brain.... Ha!

Disneyfalcon

Ah man! It's over? That was such a great report, Chris. Really really great. Your pictures were gorgeous.

I loved the compilation pic of Sterg! So cool!

And your thoughts about it suddenly not being hot, etc.? Those were perfect. Completely accurate!

That was a great comparison of the two resorts. I am constantly stunned that the Poly doesn't have hot tubs. That doesn't even make sense.

Thank you for sharing it all with us!

fractal

Original Poster
Wanted to tell ya that yesterday on my way home from dropping Brian at driving school Modern English/I'll Stop the World & Melt With You came on the satellite radio...I think 80s on 8. First thing that popped in my head? You & your family! LOL! For the rest of my life I'll happily sing along with somewhat random thoughts of a very cool family traversing WDW in the dead of summer dancing along in my brain.... Ha!

Lol! That's pretty funny! :D

fractal

Original Poster
Ah man! It's over? That was such a great report, Chris. Really really great. Your pictures were gorgeous.

I loved the compilation pic of Sterg! So cool!

And your thoughts about it suddenly not being hot, etc.? Those were perfect. Completely accurate!

That was a great comparison of the two resorts. I am constantly stunned that the Poly doesn't have hot tubs. That doesn't even make sense.

Thank you for sharing it all with us!

Thanks Tammy!

disneyrcks

Another great trip report and your pictures are awesome! I loved your write up of your overall impressions of Poly and BC. I had always wanted to stay at the Poly, so my husband and I did a week there and at week at BC for our honeymoon. The Poly was wonderful but I would go BLT, WL and BC over it any day. I just didn't love it like I thought I would. That said, loved the food, the pool bar, grounds and location. I am so glad you and your family had a nice trip, I really enjoyed your report!

fractal

Original Poster
Another great trip report and your pictures are awesome! I loved your write up of your overall impressions of Poly and BC. I had always wanted to stay at the Poly, so my husband and I did a week there and at week at BC for our honeymoon. The Poly was wonderful but I would go BLT, WL and BC over it any day. I just didn't love it like I thought I would. That said, loved the food, the pool bar, grounds and location. I am so glad you and your family had a nice trip, I really enjoyed your report!

Thanks for reading (again)! I'm anxious to see what they do with the Poly over the next few years. I understand there are some major changes slated which is making Poly lovers nervous but I think there are several ways to may it an even better resort. I appreciate the comments and for reading!

PartOfYourWorld

Another beautifully written Fractal Trip report! Sorry it took me so long to catch up! Now that I've finally started posting mine I can go to reading everyone else's!

Love the ending to your report...well I love the way you eneded it not the fact that it is over :(

Thank you for posting your final comments about the Poly vs. the Beach Club. It's pretty funny because in Feb my husband and I are staying 3 nights at the Poly (no parks) when I go run the Princess Half figured we would be able to enjoy all the perks it has to offer or most of them since its just a relaxing no parks trip. And then the plan is to stay at the Beach Club in May when we go back for our 1st anniversary. It was very interesting to see how you felt about the two. Excited to be staying at both for the first time.

When's the next time you think you'll go back?

fractal

Original Poster
Another beautifully written Fractal Trip report! Sorry it took me so long to catch up! Now that I've finally started posting mine I can go to reading everyone else's!

Love the ending to your report...well I love the way you eneded it not the fact that it is over :(

Thank you for posting your final comments about the Poly vs. the Beach Club. It's pretty funny because in Feb my husband and I are staying 3 nights at the Poly (no parks) when I go run the Princess Half figured we would be able to enjoy all the perks it has to offer or most of them since its just a relaxing no parks trip. And then the plan is to stay at the Beach Club in May when we go back for our 1st anniversary. It was very interesting to see how you felt about the two. Excited to be staying at both for the first time.

When's the next time you think you'll go back?

Thanks Jess! I'll be waiting for you comparison between Poly and BC. In the meantime; I'm enjoying your "Girls cruise" trip report.

When will we go back? We've been on an every other year schedule so as it stands Summer 2015 is our next trip. I would love to go during the Holidays but I know that won't happen this year.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom