Ignored Disney movies?

Dj Corona

Personally, with the Fantasyland expansion, I'd like to see the return of the Merlin "Sword in the Stone" show in front of the carousel at least, and if the expansion is supposed to have an "Enchanted Forest" theme, why couldn't there be some kind of incorporation of Robin Hood? Doesn't have to be a ride, or a straight up meet and greet, but it's presence would make a whole lot of sense.

.....BTW, if we're going old school with live action movies that have no representation in the parks, how 'bout the original "Herbie the Love Bug", or (and have Google on stand-by!!) "Gus", the football playing mule, starring Don Knotts.

ttalovebug

Also, try looking at the boat that comes by at the end of Fantasmic. You will see a lot of others there. But I feel not every movies needs to have a prominent place in the parks.

Meg's from Hercules. Did you mean Esmeralda, because I've never seen her since the Hunchback show closed.

I think Hunchback's outstanding music is grossly underultized. That score is some of Menken's finest, if not his number one finest, work. Most people probably don't even remember: The Bells of Notre Dame (opening sequence), Out There, and especially, especially Hellfire, are haunting and powerful. Just sends shivers down my spine. At least some Hellfire is being used in World of Color. Stunning.

Krack

The one film that (until recently*) was missing from the parks that seemed like the easiest fix was TRON. How hard would it have been to rename the arcade in Tomorrowland "Flynn's Arcade"? That should have happened 20 years ago.

*Yes, I'm old enough to remember the TRON sequence in the Peoplemover (and I loved it).

montyz81

Meet the Robinsons. No representation in the parks.. at all, even though some of the elements of the parks are found in the movie!!!

Fable McCloud

101 Dalmations
Hunchback of Notre Dame (especially. Barely admit that they made it)
Fox and the Hound
Pocahontas (now that the show at DAK is gone)
Bambi
Mulan
Jungle Book (besides characters)
Lady and the Tramp
Brother Bear
Atlantis (a flop, yes)
Emperor's New Groove
Fantasia
Tarzan
Hercules
Oliver and Company
Black Cauldron
Robin Hood
Aristocats

I love some of those films, especially Robin Hood and Oliver and Company...it seems so silly that they went to the trouble of making the films, and then pretending they don't exist... especially if people remember them.

I'd love to see something from Oliver, or to see Robin Hood somewhere other than the parades at MK...

minniemickeyfan

Meet the Robinsons. No representation in the parks.. at all, even though some of the elements of the parks are found in the movie!!!

Thought of this movie too. Think this is a great movie! Love the "keep moving forward" saying in the movie and the credits even mention it was what Walt Disney would say.
My daughter thinks this would be a great attraction of some sort in Tomorrowland.

Also, Brother Bear was on the list and we have met him once at Animal Kingdom and once at Canada in WS.

minniemickeyfan

I was just going to say this.

I think Meet the Robinsons isn't a stand out movie for most and originally I had no interest in seeing it. But once I did, Its on the top of my Disney Movie list. I would be happy with even just a meet and great.

There was a meet and greet for them at the Studios in the Animation building when the movie came out.

MMFanCipher

(I don't know who to get the pictures to show up, but look at my album and you'll see them there.)

I hope this picture comes through, but my kids met the Robinsons in EPCOT in 2007.
(picture never came through. rats!)

NYwdwfan

I love some of those films, especially Robin Hood and Oliver and Company...it seems so silly that they went to the trouble of making the films, and then pretending they don't exist... especially if people remember them.

I'd love to see something from Oliver, or to see Robin Hood somewhere other than the parades at MK...

I have a photo with Robin Hood from 2001 - we were there on our honeymoon the first day the parks re-opened after 9/11 and they were creepy empty - like my husband and I were 2 of about 10 people on Main Street - I think they had parade characters wandering the parks that day.

216bruce

Didn't Disney do a theatrical version of Hunchback in Europe? I seem to remember reading this. We loved the parks version. It's a great movie with the best soundtrack next to Beauty and the Beast, ditto Emperors New Groove as a forgotten classic. The Cruise line did a Hercules musical for several years and still features Hades in their new DCL musical. It's an enviable position to be in when you have so much good product that you can't fit it all in. Now if only they would reinstate the Disney Channel to it's former glory.

T-1MILLION

I agree with most of the original poster's list and although not every film or media neets to be represented there are certainly some classics that BEG for themed attractions.

The one on the list I caught that I must disagree with though is Fantasia. It is a classic and a box office bomb that Walt believed in, however it does have tons of repreentation throughout the resort itself with Sorcerer Mickey, the scene in Great Movie Ride, many animation points around the studios, many scenes of Fantasmic and an entire portion of Philharmagic. That is just in the theme parks and not counting many other parts and aspects of the resort.

As far as obscure my wish is not from the 90s, but I would love to see the legend of sleepy hollow represented nicely somewhere. The area where the old skyway station in fantasyland and Liberty Square meet would be perfect as the themes are a combo of the two.

That was another reason Toad was fun. It was such an obscure but instant well told story that made an even more memorable ride.

Hunchback had a live show at the studios but that did not last long. I can't remember if Herc did either.

Mulan had a parade and is now currently represented with the Mushu character in the animation tour.

MKCP 1985

on point with the original post - when I was working Magic Kingdom in the summer of 1985, Disney came out with a heavily publicized sequel to the Wizard of Oz, with some familiar characters and some new characters. They even gave this movie its own float in the Main Street Electrical Parade during the month of June, 1985.

It is probably safe to say the movie tanked at the box office. One night, without prior warning, the float was no longer part of the Main Street Electrical Parade and that was that. :lol: :lol:

MKCP 1985

how about this - almost the entire gang (sorry, Friar Tuck) at Epcot. :D

003_3.jpg

All you have to do is run a half marathon and then have a little luck. ;)

ttalovebug

Didn't Disney do a theatrical version of Hunchback in Europe? I seem to remember reading this. We loved the parks version. It's a great movie with the best soundtrack next to Beauty and the Beast, ditto Emperors New Groove as a forgotten classic. The Cruise line did a Hercules musical for several years and still features Hades in their new DCL musical. It's an enviable position to be in when you have so much good product that you can't fit it all in. Now if only they would reinstate the Disney Channel to it's former glory.

Der Gloeckner von Notre Dame- a stunning show. Here's the opening number- you can find most of the show on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gsqDEdUaxA

Walt Disney1955

how about this - almost the entire gang (sorry, Friar Tuck) at Epcot. :D

003_3.jpg

All you have to do is run a half marathon and then have a little luck. ;)

Wow! Little John (that's his name right? far left) must be a giant in that costume. Maybe not as tall as the head part, but it still would be a very tall person in there

adv.bluedude

That was also really good and should be represented in some way. I dont know why but the future part of the movie reminds me of the prologue and the promise from Horizons

RAXIP

Friar Tuck has a quick service food location.

Friars Nook by bright_shadow56, on Flickr

This location used to be named after Gurgi from The Black Caludron, "Gurgi's Munchies and Crunchies." It closed in 1993. If interested you can learn the whole history of this location here.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom