Ignored Disney movies?

WDWFan13

Well I tend to agree with you. Keep in mind there have been tons of Disney Movies. Mary Poppins and Old Yeller are nowhere to be seen either. But if we are talking about animated features I agree about Bambi. I have always said that with good writers and a good storyline it would still make a great dark ride.

Robin Hood would make a GREAT dark ride in my opinion as well. But they can't have everything I guess. Mr. Toad wasn't as popular as some of the others but it was there for 30 years. There isn't room for everything I realize.

I always find that during Spectromagic they do a broad list of characters on the floats. Even at the end you can see silhouettes of the crows in Dumbo and I think Bambi is featured there.

Mary Poppins has her own scene in the GMR so she kinda has an attraction, and I agree Robin Hood would make a cool dark ride

Magenta Panther

I understand what Raven is saying...I suppose that if every Disney movie was referenced in the parks, there would be complaints that the parks were just 3D Disney commercials. :lol: Still, I wish that at least Mary Poppins got more face time. It was Walt's biggest movie success, and some believe (as I do) that it was the jewel in the crown. I think it might be a nice dark ride...maybe guests could ride on cars with giant umbrellas over them that take them through the Banks kids' bedroom with Mary singing "Spoonful of Sugar" with the toys and things flying around, then pop into a chalk pavement picture where they get caught up in a carousel ride/fox hunt/horse race while AAs sing "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" in the background, then back to the Banks house just as Admiral Boom fires his cannon (the house shakes around them) then it's a magical trip up the chimney (foo on you, Harry Potter, Mary Poppins did it first!) and out onto the rooftops of London for fireworks and dancing chimney sweeps.

I'd ride that. But anyway, it'd be nice to see Mary better represented. Just sayin'.

MarkTwain

OP has a point though... it's kinda strange that movies like Toy Story and Finding Nemo have major attractions in multiple parks, when some of the true Disney classics don't get so much as a cameo. Personally, this isn't a huge issue for me - I don't expect WDW to be a representation of all my favorite movies - but I could see why the lack of representation of a certain movie could be disappointing for fans of that movie.

Also, notice that many of the listed movies were those that came after 1994 - Hercules, Mulan, Hunchback, Brother Bear, Tarzan, Pocahontas, Emperor's New Groove, to name a few. Probably because most of the expansion that has happened since that time have been based on Pixar properties.

plaz10

I agree that some movies do not get the recognition we would like to see. My personal favorite Hercules would make a fantastic attraction perhaps in a Greece pavilion in EPCOT. But far fetched dreams aside...we must remember that Disney likes to aim the parks at kids. And most kids (I say most because of course children of parents on this site are probably well rounded in the Disney film area but others may not be) may not know about Robin Hood or The Black Cauldron or some of the other less popular movies.

Nemo and Toy Story are HUGE right now, especially with little kids. They have seen the movies in the theaters and their merchandise is everywhere. Kids are more exposed to these movies as they are currently more popular. I'm not saying I agree with it. I for one would love to see more villains but I know thats a far fetched dream too

MotherOfBirds

Original Poster
I know I might be obsessing here, but is there a specific reason why Hunchback is so ignored? My guess would be the more adult undertones and themes in the movie that parents maybe think is too much for little Timmy, but that's just me speculating.

As for The Rescuers, they had a tie-in with Discovery Island (of Bay Lake, not DAK) with a sweepstakes or something around when the movie came out.

It seems to me that Disney just wants to forget anything that happened from '96 to 2003. Basically every movie in that period has been all but swept under the rug because they weren't successful enough (or something like that)

MillerPoppins

I understand what Raven is saying...I suppose that if every Disney movie was referenced in the parks, there would be complaints that the parks were just 3D Disney commercials. :lol: Still, I wish that at least Mary Poppins got more face time. It was Walt's biggest movie success, and some believe (as I do) that it was the jewel in the crown. I think it might be a nice dark ride...maybe guests could ride on cars with giant umbrellas over them that take them through the Banks kids' bedroom with Mary singing "Spoonful of Sugar" with the toys and things flying around, then pop into a chalk pavement picture where they get caught up in a carousel ride/fox hunt/horse race while AAs sing "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" in the background, then back to the Banks house just as Admiral Boom fires his cannon (the house shakes around them) then it's a magical trip up the chimney (foo on you, Harry Potter, Mary Poppins did it first!) and out onto the rooftops of London for fireworks and dancing chimney sweeps.

I'd ride that. But anyway, it'd be nice to see Mary better represented. Just sayin'.

I completely agree. Obviously with my name, you know I'm a big Mary fan. However, Julie Andrews will not sign the rights over to Disney for her likeness within Mary Poppins stuff. When people think of Mary Poppins, they think of Julie Andrews. That's why there is so little merchandise or products of Mary. I think there is a lot of potential with that movie of things you can do. Unfortunately though, I don't think the rights would be signed over until after Julie passed away if her children decided to do it as a memorial type thing.

janoimagine

Correct me if I am wrong but Toy Story 2 was 99'. Lion King was 94'. Pocohantas 95'. Monsters Inc, Nemo falls in between those dates as well. The Santa Clause, Remember the Titans, Pirates of the Carribean. A lot of movies in between those dates are in the park, I really don't understand what you are saying? :shrug:

MotherOfBirds

Original Poster
Correct me if I am wrong but Toy Story 2 was 99'. Lion King was 94'. Pocohantas 95'. Monsters Inc, Nemo falls in between those dates as well. The Santa Clause, Remember the Titans, Pirates of the Carribean. A lot of movies in between those dates are in the park, I really don't understand what you are saying? :shrug:

Pixar movies are a notable exception, I will admit. Pixar can't really screw anything up, knock wood. I guess my point here is that we must be near the cusp of a new golden age of Disney movies (starting with a drawn animation film) that will hopefully not be limited to Pixar. Don't get me wrong, I love Pixar movies, especially the more recent films, but they shouldn't become Disney's sole breadwinner in the movie biz.

janoimagine

I never saw Song of the South as racist. However given the fact that the race card is thrown out for even the most trivial occasions, I understand why Disney has not released it. I see it as more of a mark against society as a whole for being a bunch of overly sensitive babies, but thats just me. :D

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I never saw Song of the South as racist. However given the fact that the race card is thrown out for even the most trivial occasions, I understand why Disney has not released it. I see it as more of a mark against society as a whole for being a bunch of overly sensitive babies, but thats just me. :D

I believe the controversy around Song of the South has more to do with its literary origins than the movie Walt Disney put out. Unfortunately for it's fans, Joel Chandler Harris has become seen by some in less than a favorable light, leaving the Song of the South in the proverbial vault....

Tomi-Rocket

I admit I've had the same thoughts. I loved Emperor's New Groove ("no doi!") but good luck finding any mention of it anywhere. I suppose it would cost too much money to make shirts/souveneirs of some of their lesser known or profitable movies. But I would love to see it. I also loved both Mulan movies and even though I know she's not a "princess" she's a great role model for girls and rarely ever gets anything. I know she's at China in Epcot but I wish she could get the huge press the other princesses get.

Walt Disney1955

Funny you mantion that. One of the most popular attractions in all of Disney is based on a movie that the company wont release in the US. Splash Mountain.

Yeah, and last I checked people aren't coming off that ride ready to join the KKK either. It's a shame Song of the South is banned

WDW_Emily

I would like to see Meet the Robinsons.

I was just going to say this.

I think Meet the Robinsons isn't a stand out movie for most and originally I had no interest in seeing it. But once I did, Its on the top of my Disney Movie list. I would be happy with even just a meet and great.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom