Iger Says Avatar Most Likely 2015, Hints at Marvel, More Pirates and Cars

GLaDOS

How about this... All the creatures for Beastly Kingdom and Avatar are all make believe.

Yea. I already said that.

But personally, looking at Animal Kingdom, I think a land based on the fictional animals that have weaved through the imaginations of the world for thousands of years makes a lot more sense than a relatively small amount of animals that sprang form the imagination of a ego maniacal director.

ToTBellHop

It does make you think that perhaps it just isn't a workable theme. After all, both studio Disney parks worldwide are too small, And struggle to keep to the original theme idea.
To me, the theme has a lot of potential. Both Studios parks were simply built too small, though. There are many film series with tremendous potential that are not being utilized.

jt04

i don't want to keep on perpetuating this debate but....

The amount of negativity in all the threads on this board is getting really tiring. Why don't we try to be optimistic?

The often cited best ride ever to come out of Disney was Indiana Jones, and that's not a Disney property. (TOT, Journey to the Center of the Earth, and Star Tours especially when it debuted are three of the other best and aren't based on Disney properties either. And I wouldn't say that any of the properties they're based on have characters or plots that particularly resonate with or are appropriate for kids. Nazis and People that practice human sacrifice...really?)

Additionally if you want to talk about rides based on properties most people don't know about or haven't seen try the Jungle Cruise, Splash Mountain, Mr. Toad (at least for many people that rode/ride it), 20k, and arguably the Matterhorn (although that might be a stretch).

I'm not a Star Wars fan but I love Star Tours (both old and new). Liking the property isn't necessary to liking the theme park attraction either.

I'm not saying the expansion won't suck, but Avatar/Pandora is thematically compatible with AK, the movie is visually spectacular, and some of the best work to come out of WDI has come from outside properties. I love originality as much as anyone else but its not a requirement and doesn't guarantee anything better. Let's keep in mind Everest which is original but has broken effects all the time (excluding the Yeti), effects from day 1 that were extremely cheesy (remember the bird?),a less then stellar coaster, and light leaks inside the mountain that to this day that expose the entire superstructure for nearly the entire backwards section. Originality does not equal amazingness. Creativity, Maintenance, and Money equal amazingness.

If everyone keeps bashing the project online, it'll be no wonder if it gets scrapped or delayed. And then the community will complain about that.

I agree with those that say, Let's wait and see.

And for pete's sake please stop being so negative about literally everything that Disney does...or at least wait till its open.

You have to understand that whenever guests are reponding overwhelmingly positive to something as they are with the new FLE adds, the pessimists show up here in droves to rain on the parade. It is as if they think if they can't get there way they will storm the gates with words on the internet. :lol: And words and more words and more words and........:snore:

ctxak98

I think the biggest part of the Avatar deal that members here are misunderstanding is that Disney is going after Pandora, not the Avatar storyline. They're trying to recreate the planet's landscape (environment) and showcase its plant and animal wildlife. That screams Animal Kingdom. At this point, Disney doesn't even know what the land is going to contain, but my own guess is that the attractions within the land aren't going to be dependent on the Avatar story but instead will simply incorporate the elements of Pandora that 'wowed' millions of people. I don't think we're going to see attractions of the military fighting off the Avatars or destroying the mother tree. Instead, I think we'll see attractions and experiences that deal with "interacting" with the creatures in some form in their natural exotic environment. Under these circumstances, if the Avatar sequels are successful, Disney can strongly market the Avatar land as a connection to the movies; however, should they not have staying power, all they need to do is market the land as a guest experience with exotic creatures from a new world. Having seen the movies, Pandora and the creatures would be recognizable, but I don't think this is the case where one would have to have seen the movies to enjoy the land. If Avatar had never been made and a new land focusing on an environment similar to Pandora was proposed, would everyone still be this negative toward the idea?

Well said! I have been trying to phrase what you said before but it never came out this good. I really believe it will have nothing to do with the storyline(although I have no real proof). I think That even if you hated the movie you cannot say the visuals and awesome creatures of Pandora are not exciting! I say we just wait and see what happens next!

ToTBellHop

Discussions like we've been having are reasons why Disney should have waited until they had something to announce before making an announcement on this. It was very foolish to announce the deal w/ Cameron when no details were available or would be available for awhile. I would guess this is a lesson learned for Iger in particular.

wickedfan07

Discussions like we've been having are reasons why Disney should have waited until they had something to announce before making an announcement on this. It was very foolish to announce the deal w/ Cameron when no details were available or would be available for awhile. I would guess this is a lesson learned for Iger in particular.

I agree. Let's just hope all this talk doesn't cause Disney to push this thing too quickly. We could end up with either a half-baked product or a product that keeps changing the way FLE did. (I'm glad the FLE changed though.) If this is going tohappen at all, I'd rather have them take their time and do it right than be rushed into something out of a desire to shut up (or at least feed) the fan community prematurely. Giving us even a blurry overhead shot of the design would be a case of "give and inch and they'll take a mile" anyway. With or without concept art, this PR mess isn't going anywhere. There's too much speculation on our part. Nothing short of a full announcement and earth moving concrete pouring is going to end this debate on what is happening over at AK. And even that won't stop the debate on whether or not Avatar was the right choice. We'll probably be arguing over this until 2015.

kap91

Well said! I have been trying to phrase what you said before but it never came out this good. I really believe it will have nothing to do with the storyline(although I have no real proof). I think That even if you hated the movie you cannot say the visuals and awesome creatures of Pandora are not exciting! I say we just wait and see what happens next!

I too think this is a logical guess to make. Indy isn't really based on the story (although it bears resemblance to the 2nd film) , Star Tours (especially the original) isn't based on the story, TOT too.

flynnibus

Premium Member
No, they're fictional. Mythical animals are ones that come from ancient oral histories and stories.

So in effect, the only difference is their age. So what. Every story adds new characters, new twists, new interpretations.

No one called the centaurs in HP 'fiction' instead of 'mythical' because their take on the story was different.

This is so petty.

I don't want to derail this thread but....that statement is incorrect.

Also, as I said in the other thread, Avatar isn't dead. Nor is it moving ahead very much at this point. There are issues with the project which have caused the whole thing to slow way down to a crawl, if not a full stop.
It isn't cancelled, though. Money is being spent, and WDI resources are still assigned to it.
Let's just wait and see, shall we?

As always, thanks for being the voice of reason.

Would you be able to classify the "issues with the project"?

Here is the list of things I can think of that may be the slowing down the project:
1. creative differences with Cameron
2. can't agree on a budget with Cameron (somewhat related to #1)
3. can't agree on a budget with Disney BOD
4. suitability of the site/location of the project
5. TDO doesn't want it
6. waiting for new ride technology

Is it any of these or some combination of them?

Prototype82

Just to randomly throw this out there, guys. Why on earth are people so opposed to this?:
Toruk.jpg

WDW1974

WDW seems like they aren't as big on putting out concept art as they used to be.

When you have the eyes of the fans and -- MUCH more importantly -- the financial/entertainment media and Wall Street analysts all watching that is the time when you WOW them.

You show them and talk up the largest domestic parks project you have on the agenda.

You do not ignore it and show scorn when a fan asks you about it and you are put on the spot.

All of that is much more important than having artwork ... but not having any speaks volumes.

I don't get why some people want to fight reality so much.

~Are you blue? I'm too excited to sleep!~

WDW1974

With Kodak in deep trouble, maybe those Mt Fuji plans could come back to life.....just dreaming.

You are joking, right?

You do know that Kodak in no way ever stood in the way of a Mt. Fuji attraction, right?

You do know that is Internet/urban/CM myth, right?

~Worried~

WDW1974

Are these the same 'insiders' that insisted it was a done deal that the parks were being put on the market? ( the meetings that prompted those rumors were actually the Avatar meetings )

NOT at all true.

And are you the Andy who owns a Disney Lifestyle site and suddenly appeared in the LP last summer?

~Nothing is a coincidence~

WDW1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyLL
( the meetings that prompted those rumors were actually the Avatar meetings )

I don't want to derail this thread but....that statement is incorrect.

Also, as I said in the other thread, Avatar isn't dead. Nor is it moving ahead very much at this point. There are issues with the project which have caused the whole thing to slow way down to a crawl, if not a full stop.
It isn't cancelled, though. Money is being spent, and WDI resources are still assigned to it.
Let's just wait and see, shall we?

Oops, sorry No. 2 (how's that for a nickname?:drevil:), didn't see you had set the record straight.

Nor did I say it was dead. Nor did the OP in the other thread (who is VERY well connected).

But the project is on life support and while it may happen in some form, I absolutely believe it won't.

The first part of the preceding sentence is FACT, while the second part of the preceding sentence is OPINION.

~Spirit needs a Pixie Dust fix! Stat!~

WDW1974

I was at the meeting yesterday. Let me say, security was extremely tight. Guards with earpieces everywhere. We had to go through metal detectors as well.

For some reason (likely ego) The Weatherman believes he is in imminent risk of being attacked by a fanboi.

I've never seen anything like it. Michael was always approachable and not simply by people like myself who knew him ... Frank was too ... Roy (the one with the Disney NAME) was ... they didn't have huge security details. I never, ever saw Roy have any security around him at all.

Like I said, ego.

I actually talked with the gentleman who asked about Avatar before the meeting. I told him he should. Iger came across to me as on edge during parts of the meeting and it seemed like he didn't want to be asked about Avatar. Rasulo came across as not liking the comment of one shareholder and how they didn't care for "Disney Parks" brand.

I've heard the same comments from others who were there.

I still will never get how someone who started their career as a TV weatherman (a job that oozes insincerity on a daily basis at 5, 6 and 11:ROFLOL:) somehow isn't polished enough to fake it when he is in the public eye.

I asked about character/performer safety/guest assaulting them and Iger said it doesn't happen all that often.

He likely has no idea how often it happens and won't ever bother checking into it.

~The Spirit can fake it ... actually, no, he can't!~

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom