Iger Confirms Star Wars Domestic Parks Presence

odmichael

alright, this is a rather minor point i imagine but something i havent seen discussed. assuming they do go through with Star Wars Land, what happens to the movie set appearance of the queue for Star Tours? what i mean by this is the fact that as you approach the attraction, the AT-AT Walker, the trees, etc. look normal and complete, however as you go through the queue you see that the backs are merely support beams and lights. would they continue this active movie set look throughout the entirety of Star Wars Land?
I think what will happen is star tours will become part of the new expansion and that whole area will be rethemed. They are going to want to make it look like you landed on another planet, not a movie set. It's the only way to compete with Harry Potter and they are making Avatarland look like Pandora.

evnted

I doubt they would go with that studio look. My big hope is that they get rid if it on the existing structures.
I think what will happen is star tours will become part of the new expansion and that whole area will be rethemed. They are going to want to make it look like you landed on another planet, not a movie set. It's the only way to compete with Harry Potter and they are making Avatarland look like Pandora.
makes sense. i was wondering if they'd try to stay true to the idea of Hollywood Studios, but i feel like it would look sloppy if they did. certainly would look and feel better being completely immersed in Star Wars, not a movie set for it. thanks for the replies

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Announcement will be made in Anaheim in April 2015.

Recent wetland permit filed ties into this.

DHS will get the best "version" of Star Wars but most will get something.

1.5 billion dollar budget rumored for DHS which is about what all of Potter got in comparison so if that budget is true its substantial.

Everything is designed, blueprints finished. Heard comic book legend Neal Adams has been comissioned to do some mock up artwork. Just waiting on final approval.

Again take this with a grain of salt. I can't offer anything more than what I just wrote, Disney is starting to clamp down about this subject and checking cookies so the well looks like its going to dry up pretty fast.

Everything reported about Potter has said that is cost much less then that, around $500 million total for both Florida phases.

Atomicmickey

1.5 billion dollar budget rumored for DHS which is about what all of Potter got in comparison so if that budget is true its substantial.

Everything is designed, blueprints finished. Heard comic book legend Neal Adams has been comissioned to do some mock up artwork. Just waiting on final approval.

Again take this with a grain of salt. I can't offer anything more than what I just wrote, Disney is starting to clamp down about this subject and checking cookies so the well looks like its going to dry up pretty fast.

Now THAT'S news! Thanks!

Hoping for the best!

Ranch Dressing

Everything reported about Potter has said that is cost much less then that, around $500 million total for both Florida phases.

I wish I recorded the laugh I had at this post. Are people that naive to believe all of Potter was done for 500 million? It was well over a billion. Believe what you will of course but state of the art attractions are not cheap. Gringrotts by itself was almost 380 million.

Another example Transformers was 150 million and its an exact clone of Spider-Man.

Some people.

ToTBellHop

I wish I recorded the laugh I had at this post. Are people that naive to believe all of Potter was done for 500 million? It was well over a billion. Believe what you will of course but state of the art attractions are not cheap. Gringrotts by itself was almost 380 million.

Another example Transformers was 150 million and its an exact clone of Spider-Man.

Some people.
Regardless of the actual number, which would be difficult to hammer down, it is certainly the case that the EXACT same expansions, built at DHS, would have cost 2-3x as much.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Some people.

You choose to respond to a valid question in a condescending tone, and then expect people to believe anything you say? Some people!

lazyboy97o

Some people.
Where are the elevators in The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man?

It's not likely that all the new wetlands that have said they want to use would be used all on one project.
I'm more mocking the pretenders who are trying link the two as though a land would be a big reason behind changes to such a large amount of land.

Last edited:

wdw71fan

Some people.

haters gonna haters... don't sweat it..

for what it's worth.. 1.5 will be the project balance including development, which has already run up quite the price tag from my understanding..... True believers will see how quickly the plans can/will materialize for this project over Avatar when you don't have a 3rd party IP telling you what you can, and can't do..

Kamikaze

'Checking cookies'? Do you even have any idea of what that means? Obviously not. Only a complete idiot would leak information from a computer or network TWDC can access.

Unplugged

Look at New FantasyLand, Look at Avatar.
Disney showed us pictures and videos of Avatar in October of 2013 and Land is expected to open in 2017.

So if they show show concept art of Star Wars Land at Disney Expo in August 2015...be prepared for Star Wars land to open in 2019. A long long long time from now.

I realize Disney doesn't move fast, but there is a BIG point to keep in mind here. James Cameron is a perfectionist to his own ideas and Disney does NOT own any of it. Thus great debates with him have dragged a normally lengthy design time into what it is now.

Disney now owns Star Wars and had talked prior with Lucas on other options, so they have Imagineers already experienced with the franchise that they now OWN.

After all, James Cameron doesn't mind sitting in a sub the size of a bath tub for 3 hours to see how unique the sand is at the bottom of the ocean. So he sure doesn't give a <insert word of choice> about how long you wait to see his perfect dream nor how long you will wait in the hot Florida humidity or rain to see his masterpiece. I can ensure you there has been a lot of delay in the design phase that will not occur for Star Wars. In fact, I'd bet that with Star Wars and Raiders as Disney owned properties, the Avatar connection is quietly being locked to a minimum so they can round out AK and kick off a larger DHS effort of SW, Indy, & increase the Pixar presence.

However, with theoretical expansions at DL and DHS, there are a few variables that could lengthen the time:...

DAK with Avatar being in a corner of the park that could be closed off, doesn't have the same issues. Though even there some extension of the timeframe may have been caused by the need to build the new FOTLK theater before shutting down CMM.

I think your points are the only real delays in getting Star Wars built and running. Iger isn't stupid and with Star Wars and the fan base, Disney will have the ability of HP to wave a wand and print his own currency. They want it yesterday, but there are simple annual budget restrictions as well as what you point out, infrastructure.

None of us know the size they are planning. I would bet it will be comparable to Carsland in that Disney can add a lot of space (sorry for the pun) to spread it out, theme it well, and leave a few future pad locations. I am sure they will be moving, demolishing, and more. I wouldn't be surprised if other work was done at DHS in a fashion comparable to the great California Adventure over haul.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom