Iger Confirms Star Wars Domestic Parks Presence

Mawg

This sounds an awful lot like the X-Wing and Tie Fighter dueling coaster patent that's been floating around for years. I can't remember if Disney bought the patent though.

As for me, I want a Mos Eisley themed bar on level with Trader Sam's. I want to visit a wretched hive of scum and villainy and purchase over priced drinks.
I could see promos for a new land where the fab 5 are sitting together in Mos Eisley having a drink and then Donald cuts off someones hand.

CinematicFusion

Star wars won't be ready until 2019. Disney confirmed they would shed light on the land sometime next year. Maybe some artwork and video like they did with Avatar. After that it's going to take YEARS and YEARS for the land to get built.
Look at New FantasyLand, Look at Avatar.
Disney showed us pictures and videos of Avatar in October of 2013 and Land is expected to open in 2017.

So if they show show concept art of Star Wars Land at Disney Expo in August 2015...be prepared for Star Wars land to open in 2019. A long long long time from now.

Also...it might not be coming so soon to WDW, it may be going first to California.
We will just have to wait and see....and we have a long long time to wait.

odmichael

I REALLY hope they make a Mos Eisley Cantina in Disney Hollywood Studios. The park lacks mexican cuisine, tequila, and bounty hunters.

doctornick

Sadly, this feels a lot like the Avatar announcement, but I'm a bit more enthusiastic about it because I actually like the Star Wars franchise and its characters.
However, if the Avatar expansion is any indication, we are potentially looking at a minimum of 6 years before this comes to fruition.

Agreed. Why don't they announce and start building already? The announcement of an announcement plan is pretty annoying.

At a minimum, why not start clearing land (the old parade storage building seems kinda superfluous right now in DHS) so they can be ready to roll? Or if they need to reconfigure the parking lots, do that.

Atomicmickey

i just think the whole 400-500 acre conservation land purchase for construction offset within central property limits gets more interesting now ;)

Well, if you're sayin' what you're sayin', then I'm sayin' that's cool, know what I'm sayin'?

Do ya know what you're sayin', that is, some background to the inference of which ye speak?

I'm not sayin', but, ya know . . . .

PrincessNelly_NJ

Agreed. Why don't they announce and start building already? The announcement of an announcement plan is pretty annoying.

At a minimum, why not start clearing land (the old parade storage building seems kinda superfluous right now in DHS) so they can be ready to roll? Or if they need to reconfigure the parking lots, do that.
I would guess because it isn't an official announcement. It was merely 2 or 3 sentences about Star Wars in the parks.
They could have been talking about a Star Wars show or parade for all we know.

Cesar R M

Sadly, this feels a lot like the Avatar announcement, but I'm a bit more enthusiastic about it because I actually like the Star Wars franchise and its characters.
However, if the Avatar expansion is any indication, we are potentially looking at a minimum of 6 years before this comes to fruition.
and with more and more cuts as the time goes on (just like the rumor of Avatar now being scaled down to just the simulator and no boat ride )

doctornick

I would guess because it isn't an official announcement. It was merely 2 or 3 sentences about Star Wars in the parks.
They could have been talking about a Star Wars show or parade for all we know.

OK, but this is at least the second if not third time that Iger has referenced Star Wars int he parks in one of these calls. And they already teased Star Wars in the parks at D23 last summer.

At some point, the teasing just gets annoying without some progression. Something more concrete than "Star Wars is coming to the parks someday" -- even if not specific attractions, at least a time frame or park location or some basic concepts (e.g. we are going to make a Tatooine themed area).

Last edited:

EdC

I find it interesting that the 2013 D23 had Star Wars themed crates w/ 'Orange Harvest' marked on them, and the new color scheme of Tomorrowland is different hues of orange. Either Iger is trying to get this talked about more, or we know what park the Star Wars expansion is going in to.

Anders Limpar

This sounds an awful lot like the X-Wing and Tie Fighter dueling coaster patent that's been floating around for years. I can't remember if Disney bought the patent though.

As for me, I want a Mos Eisley themed bar on level with Trader Sam's. I want to visit a wretched hive of scum and villainy and purchase over priced drinks.

As long as there are actual rides (notice the plural here) and substance as well. If the expansion is only a Mos Eisley cantina and an expanded Jedi Training Academy in the Sounds Dangerous building that would be a horrible disappointment.

Macca250

Start the countdown - Star Wars Land Opens - 06/03/2035!!!! Construction set to start next week and will open in 20 phases beginning with a Jar Jar Play Area! .... I joke obviously, I'm sure whenever it happens, Disney will do a great job with this

Ignohippo

http://laist.com/2014/08/05/disney_is_going_to_build_a_star_war.php

af78902ada834650b001a462fd41d61fb908a7f4d3b75cf1278ecd93ffbd3d42.jpg

This is the same thing as so many blogs reporting that Harry Potter is a "park." Ugh. Journalism is dead.

xstech25

If they announce it next year (2015) I would expect it to open sometime in 2018. With Avatar they announced it the day they signed the contract and had literally nothing designed. A normal project of this scale takes about 5 years from concept to opening and considering they have been working on Star Wars for awhile (unlike Avatar where they started when they signed the deal), it shouldn't take nearly as long as Avatar from announcement to opening.

I emphasize shouldn't take as long, who knows how long (most parks keep a rolling 5-10 year capital allocation plan that changes regularly) and i'm sure a lot of it depends on what's going on at the studio as well.

Last edited:

doctornick

If they announce it next year (2015) I would expect it to open sometime in 2018. With Avatar they announced it the day they signed the contract and had literally nothing designed. Considering they have been working on Star Wars for awhile now it shouldn't take nearly as long as Avatar from announcement to opening.

I would tend to agree with that in general. However, with theoretical expansions at DL and DHS, there are a few variables that could lengthen the time: At DL, they have to work around keeping the park open and having enough capacity, so there might be some staged closings of attractions and a slower timeframe to allow for TL to be functional. At DHS, they might need to reconfigure parking (a new access road, possible new lots or a parking deck) first before starting construction.

DAK with Avatar being in a corner of the park that could be closed off, doesn't have the same issues. Though even there some extension of the timeframe may have been caused by the need to build the new FOTLK theater before shutting down CMM.

CinematicFusion

As long as there are actual rides (notice the plural here) and substance as well. If the expansion is only a Mos Eisley cantina and an expanded Jedi Training Academy in the Sounds Dangerous building that would be a horrible disappointment.

I agree, Star Wars needs two E-Tickets.
1. One that deals with Speed. Speed has always been part of Star Wars from the Death Star Trench run, Asteroid Chase, Speeder Bikes, Pod racing. They need a ride that gives the audience that visceral thrill.

2. A ride that deals with The Hero's Journey, The myth of the story, The quest, Battle of Good vs. Evil. There needs to be an immersive dark ride experience that deals with these themes. Maybe a highlight of the movies, maybe an escape from Jabba's palace type ride. I want to go on a Hero's journey style E-ticket attraction. I want to feel I'm thrust into the heart of the Hero's Journey.
Give me those two types of rides and I don't care what else is built.

If I can only choose one..it has to be the Hero's Journey. That theme is the heart and soul of Star Wars, everything else is secondary.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom