Iger Confirms Star Wars Domestic Parks Presence

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Just making sure. Because it's a huge jump to go from Iger saying "we're expanding Star Wars in the parks" (which is something he has been saying since the purchase of Lucasfilm) to Disney has plans for a Star Wars-themed park which will likely be announced soon.

But knowing how the internet works, I fully expect someone to make that gigantic leap. Just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed something that filled in the gap.
Yep. I just got a chuckle out of it and figured most of you would as well.

The sad thing is that after so many people in the media have blown it out of proportion, anything less than a 400 acre 5th gate will be viewed as cutback by many.

CinematicFusion

He never said Florida. The Star Wars land could start in California and then at a later date move to WDW.
Rumors have California getting it first.
I don't think Disney would build at both parks at the same time.
I don't think Disney would build Avatar and Star Wars at the same time.

lebeau

Yep. I just got a chuckle out of it and figured most of you would as well.

The sad thing is that after so many people in the media have blown it out of proportion, anything less than a 400 acre 5th gate will be viewed as cutback by many.

I'm guessing Iger's comments were a test to see how people react. Seems like even a hint of Star Wars went over a lot bigger than an announcement of Avatar. Hopefully they get the message and react accordingly.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
He never said Florida. The Star Wars land could start in California and then at a later date move to WDW.
Rumors have California getting it first.
I don't think Disney would build at both parks at the same time.
I don't think Disney would build Avatar and Star Wars at the same time.
Is there an exact transcript floating around of what he said on this conference call.?

ABQ

Is there an exact transcript floating around of what he said on this conference call.?
Can't find it yet, but there will be one here eventually. Let me know if you find it elsewhere.
http://www.morningstar.com/earnings/earnings-call-transcript.aspx?t=DIS&pindex=1

edit, the transcript of the presentation, the 100% BS portion, is up at a number of sites, but the Morningstar site is the only place that consistently posts the Q&A portion, the only 75% BS part, but just not yet.

Update @Master Yoda , still no Q&A Transcript, but you can listen to a replay now of the call here. Nothing like the dulcet tones of Iger and Rasulo.

Last edited:

Anders Limpar

The use of the word 'significant' really has me wondering what that could mean. Projects in multiple parks (domestic and international) being built at the same time? Or, one large expansion at one time (DHS)?

In the past, expansion has been rumored at DHS, as well as a makeover at TL in DL. Does anyone think that this has changed? Is there a priority - DL first and WDW second, or both at the same time?

Does anyone think that a significant expansion could mean attractions in several WDW parks? I was just throwing that out there as I am hoping that Star Wars is only added to DHS but who knows. Would a Star Wars based attraction in FW be an abomination? I would imagine that most would say yes. Maybe they could combine Star Wars with Frozen in some way. Hoth would make a good medium from which to work.

To paraphrase Eddie Izzard: "Look, we're Disney fans, so scale it down a bit all right?"

Gomer

I haven't seen this mentioned elsewhere yet, but could have missed it. TPI had an interesting nugget buried in a somewhat unrelated article. Not sure how reliable the writer is, but he is claiming that SW is green lit for DHS, but it is delayed. The delay occurred due to the secrecy surrounding the EPVII shoot. He is claiming JJ was unwilling to allow Imagineering to collaborate during production, so they cannot begin planning until the movie is closer to complete. This would, I guess, imply that DHS star wars land would be EpVII related at least somewhat.

Again, just putting this out there. I have no idea on the validity so take with whatever dose of NaCl you deem necessary.

GrumpyFan

Sadly, this feels a lot like the Avatar announcement, but I'm a bit more enthusiastic about it because I actually like the Star Wars franchise and its characters.
However, if the Avatar expansion is any indication, we are potentially looking at a minimum of 6 years before this comes to fruition.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I haven't seen this mentioned elsewhere yet, but could have missed it. TPI had an interesting nugget buried in a somewhat unrelated article. Not sure how reliable the writer is, but he is claiming that SW is green lit for DHS, but it is delayed. The delay occurred due to the secrecy surrounding the EPVII shoot. He is claiming JJ was unwilling to allow Imagineering to collaborate during production, so they cannot begin planning until the movie is closer to complete. This would, I guess, imply that DHS star wars land would be EpVII related at least somewhat.

Again, just putting this out there. I have no idea on the validity so take with whatever dose of NaCl you deem necessary.

I am a little skeptical of that, with all the promotion and merchandising that comes along with a Star Wars movie their is no way they can avoid sharing details with other companies. The toy companies for example would have to know the details long before the release date to have the toys on the shelves in time.

CinematicFusion

When asked if it was looking to broker new licensing deals with other franchise owners for attractions the way it did with James Cameron’sAvatar for a land inside Walt Disney World’s Animal Kingdom, Iger dismissed the notion, citing properties owned by Marvel, Pixar and Lucasfilm. “We don’t have to license from third parties,” he said. “We own them all.”

Cue up evil laugh...and again the Imperial March. Disney is such a monopoly now.

Gomer

I am a little skeptical of that, with all the promotion and merchandising that comes along with a Star Wars movie their is no way they can avoid sharing details with other companies. The toy companies for example would have to know the details long before the release date to have the toys on the shelves in time.
oh, I am also very skeptical. But, I do think its a different level of collaboration to give toy companies images of characters and vehicles from the movie than to meet and work in conjunction with an imagineering team which is what the writer was implying was needed. Perhaps they want actor or director involvement in a shoot for video screens, or perhaps they need access to story details that JJ doesn't want being leaked. As we all know around here, imagineering isn't exactly the best place to keep secrets.

Captain Chaos

I thought 74 said the same exact thing a while ago.

aka_emilicious

Three new attractions with one being a bonifide state of the art E-Ticket.

Now the E-Ticket, this is what I heard but my source is questionable so take this with a grain of pixie dust. It will be very FJ in style but there will be more sets than screens but there will be screens. The best part is there will be a queue for Rebels and one for Empire and both sides with interact with one another at times during the ride.

Two lesser attractions but new stuff. No phases its evertything at once.

Again, this is what I was told, I have better more trustworthy contacts within Universal Creative than TDO, take this info or leave it, I care not.

This sounds an awful lot like the X-Wing and Tie Fighter dueling coaster patent that's been floating around for years. I can't remember if Disney bought the patent though.

As for me, I want a Mos Eisley themed bar on level with Trader Sam's. I want to visit a wretched hive of scum and villainy and purchase over priced drinks.

Jahona

Sadly, this feels a lot like the Avatar announcement, but I'm a bit more enthusiastic about it because I actually like the Star Wars franchise and its characters.
However, if the Avatar expansion is any indication, we are potentially looking at a minimum of 6 years before this comes to fruition.

I'm excited to have a small announcement that something is in the works. I'm not getting my hopes up for any new news though as Disney loves to take their time on things. I don't mind them taking their time as long as they make it an immersive experience and not something that's been placed awkwardly into the parks, I'm looking at you Frozen.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom