Iger Confirms Star Wars Domestic Parks Presence

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Yeah, and where will these increases take place? I couldn't give a crap if it's anywhere other than Florida.
Amen.

It's such a perfect fit for DHS. They have the need and the space (after clearing some crap out). If they instead cram some SW stuff into DL that doesn't fit in at all it will be pretty disappointing.
Announcing stuff next year is right in line with the America Idol contract running out in January, gutting that theater, then announcing what is next. As far as WDW anyway.

Besides "..will be revealed next year, Iger said during a conference call.."

January is just as much "next year" as a year from now.
If they had a firm plan to announce something in January I think he would have said something like early next year or beginning of next year. It's not just that he said "sometime next year" it was the tone, hesitation and the way he said it that lead me to believe that they have no firm plan as to when they would announce anything. Just the way I interpret the comments made.

wdwfan4ver

If they had a firm plan to announce something in January I think he would have said something like early next year or beginning of next year. It's not just that he said "sometime next year" it was the tone, hesitation and the way he said it that lead me to believe that they have no firm plan as to when they would announce anything. Just the way I interpret the comments made.
The tone could be caused by the fact a movie's release date can change. In this case, I think Disney is depending on the Star Wars presence based on when the film is released.

I got a hunch that Disney wants to do a lot when Star Wars Episode 7 comes out like Movie previews, and Meet and Greets.

I read in the past for WDW1974 that the Star Wars Land attractions are affected by Episode 7 also.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The tone could be caused by the fact a movie's release date can change. In this case, I think Disney is depending on the Star Wars presence based on when the film is released.

I got a hunch that Disney wants to do a lot when Star Wars Episode 7 comes out like Movie previews, and Meet and Greets.

I read in the past for WDW1974 that the Star Wars Land attractions are affected by Episode 7 also.

Yet later in the call he was very clear that the date would not change.

The Empress Lilly

This just in! Star Wars Land opening schedule.

*2015 announcement
*2016 concept art released
*2017 plans are laid out
*2018 ground is officially broken
*2019 plans change to drop one of the 12 meet and greets for a small c-ticket attraction
*2020 phase one opens with the star wars cantina and the speeder bike spinner and 4 meet and greets
Final open date... TBD

Don't shoot the messenger, but thats what a bus driver told me.;)
Nonsense. Bus drivers are never this realistic. ;)

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Could be. The release date is set for Dec 2015. I don't think that leaves enough time to even open a decently themed meet and greet at the pace Disney works at. Maybe they will announce Star Wars Land during SW weekends next year which I'm sure will be extra hyped due to the movie opening or even during a movie preview on site.

Maerj

Just move Toy Story Midway Mania and Tower of Terror to another park and turn DHS into Disney's Star Wars Theme Park. Simple enough, right? ;)

deix15x8

Considering that the 9th Star Wars film is rumored for 2021 could Disney be banking on making this Star Wars expansion in WDW huge and using it as the major improvement for the 50th anniversary by having it open that year? That would time it perfect to fully integrate with the final movie of the new trilogy and the anniversary. If that's the case the long timeline could leave a lot of room for them to even do the questionable rerouting of traffic around DHS to open more expansion room for it. They could also be planning a Fantasyland like process where pieces keep opening starting in 2018 with Star Wars 8 release all the way through the big completion in 2021.

Not sure if it's relevant but they did just add more allowance for wet land removal, not sure how much there is around DHS that they could be needing for an expansion.

RSoxNo1

Considering that the 9th Star Wars film is rumored for 2021 could Disney be banking on making this Star Wars expansion in WDW huge and using it as the major improvement for the 50th anniversary by having it open that year? That would time it perfect to fully integrate with the final movie of the new trilogy and the anniversary. If that's the case the long timeline could leave a lot of room for them to even do the questionable rerouting of traffic around DHS to open more expansion room for it. They could also be planning a Fantasyland like process where pieces keep opening starting in 2018 with Star Wars 8 release all the way through the big completion in 2021.

Not sure if it's relevant but they did just add more allowance for wet land removal, not sure how much there is around DHS that they could be needing for an expansion.
That would put DHS at 22 years between E-tickets.

flyerjab

The use of the word 'significant' really has me wondering what that could mean. Projects in multiple parks (domestic and international) being built at the same time? Or, one large expansion at one time (DHS)?

In the past, expansion has been rumored at DHS, as well as a makeover at TL in DL. Does anyone think that this has changed? Is there a priority - DL first and WDW second, or both at the same time?

Does anyone think that a significant expansion could mean attractions in several WDW parks? I was just throwing that out there as I am hoping that Star Wars is only added to DHS but who knows. Would a Star Wars based attraction in FW be an abomination? I would imagine that most would say yes. Maybe they could combine Star Wars with Frozen in some way. Hoth would make a good medium from which to work.

twebber55

The use of the word 'significant' really has me wondering what that could mean. Projects in multiple parks (domestic and international) being built at the same time? Or, one large expansion at one time (DHS)?

In the past, expansion has been rumored at DHS, as well as a makeover at TL in DL. Does anyone think that this has changed? Is there a priority - DL first and WDW second, or both at the same time?

Does anyone think that a significant expansion could mean attractions in several WDW parks? I was just throwing that out there as I am hoping that Star Wars is only added to DHS but who knows. Would a Star Wars based attraction in FW be an abomination? I would imagine that most would say yes. Maybe they could combine Star Wars with Frozen in some way. Hoth would make a good medium from which to work.
it just fits perfectly in DHS....there is zero reason to have it in multiple parks

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom