If You Go Down To The Parks Today..Your In For A Big Surprise...

Status
Not open for further replies.

copcarguyp71

Often, the same people who complain are the least accomplished. They never did much of anything themselves and/or they're germophobes and neatfreaks. I love my vacations. When things go imperfectly, I'm usually fine. Yeah, we've all got our quirks, but I'd be really really stupid to let a few burnt out lights or missing effects ruin my vacation. I do not do my job perfectly, and I don't expect perfection from anyone else. It's okay to notice a few things, write about them on the boards, and expect improvement; but I refuse to let it ruin my valuable vacation time.

Ohhhh...name calling and disparaging comments....how original
Hey-Guys-Itis-an-Internet-Fight.jpg

draybook

+1

Just to dove tail off of what you're saying, being a germaphobe or a neat freak typically falls under the diagnosis of OCD. OCD and OCPD are strongly linked to individuals who are high achievers or perfectionists, so that entire first sentence of his made no sense.

Ironic, since I do have a dabble of OCD, although not actually diagnosed. I have to have things a certain way, step an even amount of steps before the lines in a walkway, etc.. I was a high achiever though! In third grade I was reading at a college level. Reading and History, my two favorite subjects!

copcarguyp71

Ironic, since I do have a dabble of OCD, although not actually diagnosed. I have to have things a certain way, step an even amount of steps before the lines in a walkway, etc.. I was a high achiever though! In third grade I was reading at a college level. Reading and History, my two favorite subjects!

Clearly WDW is not for you then! LOL!

John

OK, I have read every post on the thread....in some way the thread was started because of the conversation I had with Hatter. I am not going to go into what crime was committed or how someone thought that m,olestation is a joke. But will try to define what we that are considered the Doom and Gloom crowd feel.

None of us worry about light bulbs that are out in itself. No one is looking for chipped paint. I couldn't care less if an attraction is down. I go in January and it is common for many attractions to be down for refurb. The problem is that we visited WDW when these things mattered to not us but to Disney. They are the ones who held themselves to the highest of all standards. It was expensive then and it is even more expensive now. Disney made it clear from the way they operated that only excellence was acceptable. No one noticed chipped paint when everything else was top notch. You knew the next day that chip would be gone. The bulb would have been replaced.

We really are not the D&G crowd but the disappointed crowd. We are just disappointed that Disney has promised us....They set the bar. To most of us we care as much about WDW as anyone on the planet. Look at those who frequent these boards. We have other lives...families....jobs. We have fallen in love with this thing called a theme park. Lets face it we are extremely fortunate to be able to visit it in the first place. There are many people in the world who cant afford to eat much less spend thousands to spend to visit central Florida. Yet most of us that do visit wouldn't care what it would cost if the standard that Disney set was maintained. No, I do not enjoy the parks as I once did. Is it because of a burnt out bulb?....chipped paint? No it is because it is evident Disney does not care as much any more. Lost are the details that made it the "Disney difference" Lost is the excellence. Just getting by is now acceptable.

Disney has for atleast the recent past has bragged about their profits....make money hand over fist and continue to let the guest experience slide. That is the disappointment. We are extremely passionate about what we love......isn't most people? When we have been disappointed we come here to discuss it. Some choose to not look at it that way. To those I say great! but if the trend continues as it has you too will one day be disappointed. My hope as most of the so called D&G crowd is that there will be a turn around. That although it will never return to its once glory that Disney will just simply care again.

copcarguyp71

The problem is that we visited WDW when these things mattered to not us but to Disney. They are the ones who held themselves to the highest of all standards. It was expensive then and it is even more expensive now. Disney made it clear from the way they operated that only excellence was acceptable.

We really are not the D&G crowd but the disappointed crowd. We are just disappointed that Disney has promised us....They set the bar. To most of us we care as much about WDW as anyone on the planet. Look at those who frequent these boards. We have other lives...families....jobs. We have fallen in love with this thing called a theme park. Lets face it we are extremely fortunate to be able to visit it in the first place. Just getting by is now acceptable.

Boiled down to mirror our own thoughts! Thanks for that post!

SagamoreBeach

Good Sunday Morning To All..Now I ain't doing this thread to start an argument..:cautious:..Honest..But a recent thread on Epcots problems got me all fired up..In a curious way...I understand that Disney regulars who go,and have been going to WDW for many moons, will see things that aren't working the way they should be..Point taken..I would hate to spend $$$$$$$$$ on my vacation to find out that these things are a major disappointment.. We fly from Scotland...We arrive..We check in..We hit the parks...We enjoy the sunshine..We enjoy the rain..We join in the party and have fun...Now here's my question...Would you let these disappointments ruin your holiday, or just get on with it..??...I've read on here over the two years as a member, about South American tour groups...Families pushing their way in front of you at a parade..Complaining about the price of food & other stuff...It goes on and on..What is your attitude when things like The fountain is working, but where's the music.?.. :eek:...Or finding dust in a corner of a doom buggy..:eek:...I've met people like this before on holiday, who are constantly looking for problems..And finally if I ever encounter a problem at WDW that has me mad with rage..:mad:...I'll be on here ranting about it...:rolleyes:...Stands back and awaits the responses...:inlove:...No argues..Just conversation..

Could it be attitude or how one views life in general? It would have to be a really big disappointment for it to ruin my vacation at WDW. If I checked into a particular hotel because of the pool and then get there and the pool is not usable, then I might rant and racve about it. But as a rule I stay on the positive side and keep things in perspective.
-Tony

sweetpee_1993

The only way to accomplish what you seek is to dig a hole and bury your head in it. I know it comes off as assy and smarmy but coming onto an online forum hoping for pixies and unicorn poop will always be a letdown no matter if it is Disney, Ford, Quisinart or whatever other topic may have an enthusiast following, point and counterpoint are what make up a forum...if you want only good news then go over to the moms board or one of Disney's derivative sites.

I'm sorry. I have a particular fondness for original words. This one has made my list of simple but genius. I shall add it to my vocabulary. I'll be sure to give credit to you when I get around to using it. I know my charges shall be both amused and impressed.

KCheatle

So pointing out the bad things is sad? I can't speak for anyone else but when I complain I make sure to pass it along to Guest Services, so it's not just hot air being blown about. Why would it be sad to point out issues and hope that they are fixed? And for what it's worth, I also convey the wonderful experiences that we had to GS as well. I'm not just going to tell them the bad without the good.

Continually fixating on the negatives is sad when there is so much more that is right. I'm not speaking directly to you (or, if I am, I didn't choose you to point the finger at you). I appreciate that you actually complain with a purpose - you actually tell the people who can potentially fix it. That I have zero problem with. I wish more people did that though. I think a lot of people complain to complain. For whatever reason it' easier for them to talk about the negative than the positive.

What's frustrating to me on these boards is that I go to discussion topics which I know the OP intended to be positive. They are simply meant to create conversation between people reminiscing about WDW. And, for some reason unbeknownst to me, negativity comes into these threads, and I don't think it's appropriate.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Good Sunday Morning To All..Now I ain't doing this thread to start an argument..:cautious:..Honest..But a recent thread on Epcots problems got me all fired up..In a curious way...I understand that Disney regulars who go,and have been going to WDW for many moons, will see things that aren't working the way they should be..Point taken..I would hate to spend $$$$$$$$$ on my vacation to find out that these things are a major disappointment.. We fly from Scotland...We arrive..We check in..We hit the parks...We enjoy the sunshine..We enjoy the rain..We join in the party and have fun...Now here's my question...Would you let these disappointments ruin your holiday, or just get on with it..??...I've read on here over the two years as a member, about South American tour groups...Families pushing their way in front of you at a parade..Complaining about the price of food & other stuff...It goes on and on..What is your attitude when things like The fountain is working, but where's the music.?.. :eek:...Or finding dust in a corner of a doom buggy..:eek:...I've met people like this before on holiday, who are constantly looking for problems..And finally if I ever encounter a problem at WDW that has me mad with rage..:mad:...I'll be on here ranting about it...:rolleyes:...Stands back and awaits the responses...:inlove:...No argues..Just conversation..

.....HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHA XD

...that was good... that.. was good.

DJMoore2011

OK, I have read every post on the thread....in some way the thread was started because of the conversation I had with Hatter. I am not going to go into what crime was committed or how someone thought that m,olestation is a joke. But will try to define what we that are considered the Doom and Gloom crowd feel.

None of us worry about light bulbs that are out in itself. No one is looking for chipped paint. I couldn't care less if an attraction is down. I go in January and it is common for many attractions to be down for refurb. The problem is that we visited WDW when these things mattered to not us but to Disney. They are the ones who held themselves to the highest of all standards. It was expensive then and it is even more expensive now. Disney made it clear from the way they operated that only excellence was acceptable. No one noticed chipped paint when everything else was top notch. You knew the next day that chip would be gone. The bulb would have been replaced.

We really are not the D&G crowd but the disappointed crowd. We are just disappointed that Disney has promised us....They set the bar. To most of us we care as much about WDW as anyone on the planet. Look at those who frequent these boards. We have other lives...families....jobs. We have fallen in love with this thing called a theme park. Lets face it we are extremely fortunate to be able to visit it in the first place. There are many people in the world who cant afford to eat much less spend thousands to spend to visit central Florida. Yet most of us that do visit wouldn't care what it would cost if the standard that Disney set was maintained. No, I do not enjoy the parks as I once did. Is it because of a burnt out bulb?....chipped paint? No it is because it is evident Disney does not care as much any more. Lost are the details that made it the "Disney difference" Lost is the excellence. Just getting by is now acceptable.

Disney has for atleast the recent past has bragged about their profits....make money hand over fist and continue to let the guest experience slide. That is the disappointment. We are extremely passionate about what we love......isn't most people? When we have been disappointed we come here to discuss it. Some choose to not look at it that way. To those I say great! but if the trend continues as it has you too will one day be disappointed. My hope as most of the so called D&G crowd is that there will be a turn around. That although it will never return to its once glory that Disney will just simply care again.

Thank you for the well written post.

The place I personally am coming from is, I did not go to the Disney World when most of you have. I never knew that "Disney Difference" like you do.

What is happening now is my bar of standard for the "Disney Difference", for it's all I know. I have nothing to personally compare it to. Yes I can go on Youtube and see all the old home movies and clips but I did not experience. I do not have that emotional connection like you do. I've been once and have nothing to compare it too.

Maybe after a few trips (if the Fates are working my Thread of Life right) I will be able to say "Hey I remember when Be My Guest opened and it was the top of the line but now there is nothing like it" I don't know. Maybe then I will see what you are seeing. And start to wonder what the heck happened to the Disney World I knew.

It's kinda like, me listening to my Grandparents say "In my day we...." and rolling my eyes. While knowing that when my Grandparents were my age and they heard THEIR Grandparents say "In my day we..." and they found quick ways out of the room. Our view points are all vastly different due to what we experience.

My first trip was in 2011, I hope my 2nd trip will be in 2015 that is 4 years, maybe I will see the difference of quality that you are referring to. But honestly I hope things go up and not down. For all of us

DJ

Ralphlaw

Not a neat freak or a *germaphobe. Can't say that I've reinvented the way computer processors are made or anything spectacular but I am a US Army vet and I made three awesome children. I work 54-62 hours per week supporting dialysis patients while supporting my family and I was finally able to go back to school for my IT degree. As a matter of fact, I actually had a perfect 4.0 GPA back in the Spring. Am I "accomplished" enough for your consideration?

That's exactly the point. When I see a problem, I point it out to the right person, or get on with my vacation. I note that you tell the right people, and that's great, but I also surmise that you don't just whine or let it ruin your vacation. I also imagine, Draybook, that you don't hang on to the imperfection all day and let it boil over to the point that you can't enjoy a nice dinner, a few fireworks, or the rides.

My sisters, for example, are decent people, but when something goes wrong in their lives (which seems to be constantly happening), they hash it, rehash it, hash it some more, and bring everyone around them down. They live their lives searching for fault. Example: We once went to a Church dinner run by volunteers, and my sisters did nothing but complain. When one of them whined about the coffee not being served quickly enough by the unpaid volunteers, I went to the kitchen myself and brought out a pot. She looked at me as if I broke her perfect sphere of misery. I also have a sister-in-law (with probably some OCD issues) who refuses to attend most family events because she has an insane fear of germs and clutter. None of them are happy, and a conversation with any of them is a whinefest.

Now, I complain on these boards from time to time, but I usually end with an uplifting note, like my Lasseter comment. If I traveled to Disney with anyone who griped the whole time, I'd say something along the lines of, "Then go home already, and quit ruining it for the rest of us." Or, "Build a bridge and get over it." Venting on the boards, or telling the right people immediately, is fine in my book. But letting it ruin your vacation is neurotic compulsion, and not the best way to have fun.

Most of you, I'm sure, are just venting after the fact, which is healthy in my book. But those who can't let it go while on vacation, are, in my opinion, germaphobes or neat freaks. So often those people seem to be "unaccomplished" in the big scheme. Yes, some may have great careers and have raised great families, but I've met very few who truly have happy lives of accomplishments that they can calmly sit back and reflect upon. Condemn me if you wish, but most of the compulsive complainers, like my sisters, are hypocritical, seeing plenty of fault in others, but rarely looking in the mirror at themselves to note their own imperfections.

And none of these relatives, or me for that matter, could perfectly run a resort that brings in millions of people a year. So, yes, I can complain, but I also know that if I took over, there'd still be problems, people who point out those problems, and another day to try to fix them all, and/or a few more days to put in systems to prevent them in the first place. Or maybe I'm completely off my rocker on all of this.

JohnD

My beef is the strollers. When I was a child, if I didn't learn how to walk yet I had a stroller. When I learned how to walk, I walked. Period. Now I see 5-7 year old children being wheeled around in a stroller. Really? How about teaching some independence in them. I have to walk everywhere, why can't children (I'm referring to those who are able/amble -- not any with disabilities).

WDW is inunadated with the things. Now there is stroller parking everywhere, and giant souped models so much so you can't even get around them. Then there's the crowds at the parades. Last night, I found myself surrounded by a wall to my right, a wheelchair (bless them) in front of me, a stroller to my left and a stroller behind me. I know this is an ongoing debate but I had to vent. Thanks

Pixie VaVoom

Hold the phone Andy..Did you say Alton T

Ok - to all my friends fron 'across the pond'...Let me ask you. Which amusement park is it that has the dark ride "Valhalla"?? Is it "Alton Towers" ?? Or "Blackpool Pleasure Beach" - like they are always talking about on the sitcom "Last of the Summer Wine" ?? "Valhalla" looks like a great ride...yeah...

Ralphlaw

I sympathize. I have two kids, and for the most part I hauled them on my shoulders whenever I could. But I also stay on property, and can take them back to swim and take a break during the day. I truly feel sorry for the parents who stay offsite, and lug the kids around for 10 or 12 hours a day without a break.

Until you've hauled a kid, even for a few hours, you'll never appreciate how wonderful strollers are. True story, we stayed at Bay lake Tower last year. My daughter was 6, so we didn't pack a stroller. On our 2nd day, on our way back to Magic Kingdom one night, we saw a pink fold up stroller that looked broken along the walkway by the Baylake Tower parking lots. We didn't think anything of it. 5 hours later, I'm breaking my back and arms hauling my sleeping princess back from Magic Kingdom, and it was still there. No cars nearby, so we confiscated it. It wasn't really broken, just a bit bent. It was the best "gift" that trip. We took it everywhere, and happiness prevailed.

My daughter is a tough little thing, but there's no way she can walk the distances required at Disney. And there's also no way we could have survived with healthy backs without it. If they banned strollers, many families would quit coming, and certainly wouldn't stay as long. Sure, a few teens and non-little-kid families will be happier, but not enough to make up for the families that would stay away. With strollers, families wheel in by the droves.

In short, I see both sides. We're careful not to kill people with ours, and we took our own small models with a minimal footprint. Our strollers have taken up little space on the curbs for parade routes, and they folded up easily. Yet, I wonder how much money each park makes per day on the rental models. These are theme parks, after all, focusing on family fun with the kids. So I suppose strollers are in some respects inevitable. Without them, Disney loses visitors AND yet another source of income. Yeah, they do clutter the place. I share your frustration, yet my family is also a small part of the problem.

Since1976

Interesting conversation going on here, but I'm still trying to reconcile the title of this thread with its actual subject. :-(

JohnD

Interesting conversation going on here, but I'm still trying to reconcile the title of this thread with its actual subject. :-(

I was surprised by the huge number of strollers. If you think you'll be able to walk around from one area to the next easily, you're in for a big surprise. . .

Goofyernmost

I sympathize. I have two kids, and for the most part I hauled them on my shoulders whenever I could. But I also stay on property, and can take them back to swim and take a break during the day. I truly feel sorry for the parents who stay offsite, and lug the kids around for 10 or 12 hours a day without a break.
Before you feel to sorry for us offsiters, you might want to ask yourself where you got the idea that those of us that do that can't take a break during the day. I can be back to my hotel as quickly if not quicker then some onsite people. I never stayed the whole day. We went in the morning, saw what we could see, perhaps had lunch at a counter service and around 3 PM or actually whenever the mood hit us, we would head on out. We would rest our feet, the kids would hit the pool and we would just chill for a couple of hours. Then we would go out someplace for a healthy meal and head back to the parks for the evening.

Almost all, in fact, I'd say 99.9% of those that stay offsite, have transportation. Comfortable, cool, uncrowded vehicles that we just walk to (not wait for) and be on our way. No need for sympathy, I'm afraid.

copcarguyp71

That's exactly the point. When I see a problem, I point it out to the right person, or get on with my vacation. I note that you tell the right people, and that's great, but I also surmise that you don't just whine or let it ruin your vacation. I also imagine, Draybook, that you don't hang on to the imperfection all day and let it boil over to the point that you can't enjoy a nice dinner, a few fireworks, or the rides.

My sisters, for example, are decent people, but when something goes wrong in their lives (which seems to be constantly happening), they hash it, rehash it, hash it some more, and bring everyone around them down. They live their lives searching for fault. Example: We once went to a Church dinner run by volunteers, and my sisters did nothing but complain. When one of them whined about the coffee not being served quickly enough by the unpaid volunteers, I went to the kitchen myself and brought out a pot. She looked at me as if I broke her perfect sphere of misery. I also have a sister-in-law (with probably some OCD issues) who refuses to attend most family events because she has an insane fear of germs and clutter. None of them are happy, and a conversation with any of them is a whinefest.

Now, I complain on these boards from time to time, but I usually end with an uplifting note, like my Lasseter comment. If I traveled to Disney with anyone who griped the whole time, I'd say something along the lines of, "Then go home already, and quit ruining it for the rest of us." Or, "Build a bridge and get over it." Venting on the boards, or telling the right people immediately, is fine in my book. But letting it ruin your vacation is neurotic compulsion, and not the best way to have fun.

Most of you, I'm sure, are just venting after the fact, which is healthy in my book. But those who can't let it go while on vacation, are, in my opinion, germaphobes or neat freaks. So often those people seem to be "unaccomplished" in the big scheme. Yes, some may have great careers and have raised great families, but I've met very few who truly have happy lives of accomplishments that they can calmly sit back and reflect upon. Condemn me if you wish, but most of the compulsive complainers, like my sisters, are hypocritical, seeing plenty of fault in others, but rarely looking in the mirror at themselves to note their own imperfections.

And none of these relatives, or me for that matter, could perfectly run a resort that brings in millions of people a year. So, yes, I can complain, but I also know that if I took over, there'd still be problems, people who point out those problems, and another day to try to fix them all, and/or a few more days to put in systems to prevent them in the first place. Or maybe I'm completely off my rocker on all of this.

Is your member profile correct that you have not been to WDW since November 2005? Just trying to get a perspective on your view of the parks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom