If this is not a blantant money grab, I don't know what is.....

NickMaio

Original Poster
…it’s never gonna have the same demand…and they know it
Exactly - - they wont make any ILL money - - -
You're right people don't like waiting in lines. I don't either. Difference is at every other park waiting in lines is part of going to a park.
It's part of the experience - - - -
I know people hate human interaction now - - but we still like it and actually talk to others in line.

This new system is awful - -even forget the extra money you need to pay for - - - - - its awful to need to be on a device throughout the day just to get an edge on a few rides.

Paper fast passes were gold - - - we also really enjoy walking around the parks.
Crazy thought - - - the parks are beautiful - - - the WDW bubble is real and we love it - - - even with the big crowds.

Disstevefan1

Of course they do! People have complained about lines at theme parks for ages.

What do you find so preferable a out waiting in a two hour queue? Quiet time to yourself?

But then you just rob the choice of those who do NOT want to, or for various reasons cannot wait in line.

At the end of the day, someone has to be unhappy and Disney is making the right call excluding the ride warriors.
We can agree to Disagree.

In my opinion, not having standby is wrong here.

For over 50 years WDW had standby lines.

All of a sudden its "not fair" to have standby lines.

The world has changed indeed.

Jrb1979

Exactly - - they wont make any ILL money - - -

It's part of the experience - - - -
I know people hate human interaction now - - but we still like it and actually talk to others in line.

This new system is awful - -even forget the extra money you need to pay for - - - - - its awful to need to be on a device throughout the day just to get an edge on a few rides.

Paper fast passes were gold - - - we also really enjoy walking around the parks.
Crazy thought - - - the parks are beautiful - - - the WDW bubble is real and we love it - - - even with the big crowds.
The reason the new system is awful is they don't have to capacity for everyone to have Genie+. We also know they won't limit availability to make it work.

JMcMahonEsq

We can agree to Disagree.

In my opinion, not having standby is wrong here.

For over 50 years WDW had standby lines.

All of a sudden its "not fair" to have standby lines.

The world has changed indeed.
It doesn't have anything to do with what is fair or not. Disney is a for profit business. It does what makes most sense for the market and what makes the most money. Fair doesn't come into it.

Sure WDW had standby lines for its first 50 years. You didn't have smart phones, apps, cell service, or general access to the internet back then. However as you mentioned, maybe sarcastically but rightfully, times have indeed changed. People live life in a more app driven online order lifestyle. Especially in large cities waiting in line for almost anything has if not been eliminated, drastically reduced. You order your Dunks or Starbucks on your app and walk in to pick it up. you walk into mcdonalds and do the same thing, or order on a kiosk. You don't wait in line to buy movie tickets, concert tickets, ballgame tickets. You order them on an app, they deliver them to your phone, and you go into the park. Whether you like the system or not, i don't think there is a credible argument that virtual lines/waits is the modern trend and wont' be going anywhere anytime soon.

Disstevefan1

It doesn't have anything to do with what is fair or not. Disney is a for profit business. It does what makes most sense for the market and what makes the most money. Fair doesn't come into it.

Sure WDW had standby lines for its first 50 years. You didn't have smart phones, apps, cell service, or general access to the internet back then. However as you mentioned, maybe sarcastically but rightfully, times have indeed changed. People live life in a more app driven online order lifestyle. Especially in large cities waiting in line for almost anything has if not been eliminated, drastically reduced. You order your Dunks or Starbucks on your app and walk in to pick it up. you walk into mcdonalds and do the same thing, or order on a kiosk. You don't wait in line to buy movie tickets, concert tickets, ballgame tickets. You order them on an app, they deliver them to your phone, and you go into the park. Whether you like the system or not, i don't think there is a credible argument that virtual lines/waits is the modern trend and wont' be going anywhere anytime soon.
Folks were defending Disney choice to not open the standby because its "not fair" to the guests to have it and Disney didn't open the standby because they cared about their guests.

I said IF they cared about their guests, they would open the standby to give the guests choice.

Then we agree, not having standby is all about money and as this thread title says this is a money grab pure and simple.

I wish Disney ran their movie business as a for profit business...

Jrb1979

Theme parks are not meant to be run that way. Universal doesn't do it. No park has enough capacity and other things to do for the majority not to be in a line. IMO it's partly why many say the parks feel busy. Many are are wandering around waiting for their return times.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
It doesn't have anything to do with what is fair or not. Disney is a for profit business.

Whether you like the system or not, i don't think there is a credible argument that virtual lines/waits is the modern trend and wont' be going anywhere anytime soon.

Agree on both points.

It does what makes most sense for the market and what makes the most money.

Not completely with this.

There are varied ways to "make money". You can focus on volume. You can capture a higher margin at point of sale (which will probably also yield a lower aquisition cost). You can focus on customer retention and repeat business by offering a high level of service at a reasonable (yet profitable) price. Or you can price gouge based on simply an acquisition strategy, with the objective separating the guest from the very last cent of their discretionary budget.

All have their pros and cons. Some carry a better perception socially than others.

To me, Disney has lost it's way. The messaging and perception has been all over the place. And because of this they are alientating every category of guest.

• They wanted to gouge - enter Galactic Starcruiser, Surge Pricing, Genie+, and ILL.
  • They wanted a higher margin - so they take away perks, reduce portion size, change up park hopping rules, lower discount structures, increase pricing, and reduce staffing.
  • They wanted to increase sevice and cater to what they thought the guest wanted - but they didn't even bother to listen to what they were saying. And somehow they have now succeeded at overcomplicating the entire vacation experience.

All Disney has to do is listen. There are ways to still be a profitable business and make money, and give your guests what they want. It takes a little creativity. It takes the ability to listen.

Disney's approach to the guest right now is akin to a monologue. In reality they should be striving for a dialogue.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

Why would anyone think a 4 hour standby wait is the preferable option? No one wants to wait in line all day.

There's almost no way Cosmic Rewind would get anything remotely close to a 4 hour standby wait.

It potentially could for a few days when it first goes to standby (although I think even that is unlikely), but it would be short lived. The people that really want to ride it (and thus would create that type of line) have already been on it multiple times and wouldn't be interested in such a wait.

It would probably settle in around 90 minutes on average -- maybe a little lower because of the height requirement.

Last edited:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Agree on both points.

Not completely with this.

There are varied ways to "make money". You can focus on volume. You can capture a higher margin at point of sale (which will probably also yield a lower aquisition cost). You can focus on customer retention and repeat business by offering a high level of service at a reasonable (yet profitable) price. Or you can price gouge based on simply an acquisition strategy, with the objective separating the guest from the very last cent of their discretionary budget.

All have their pros and cons. Some carry a better perception socially than others.

To me, Disney has lost it's way. The messaging and perception has been all over the place. And because of this they are alientating every category of guest.

• They wanted to gouge - enter Galactic Starcruiser, Surge Pricing, Genie+, and ILL.
  • They wanted a higher margin - so they take away perks, reduce portion size, change up park hopping rules, lower discount structures, increase pricing, and reduce staffing.
  • They wanted to increase sevice and cater to what they thought the guest wanted - but they didn't even bother to listen to what they were saying. And somehow they have now succeeded at overcomplicating the entire vacation experience.

All Disney has to do is listen. There are ways to still be a profitable business and make money, and give your guests what they want. It takes a little creativity. It takes the ability to listen.

Disney's approach to the guest right now is akin to a monologue. In reality they should be striving for a dialogue.

But Bob said he was listening, remember?

Young Dolph Money GIF by Worldstar Hip Hop

But being serious, I agree. They have lost their way. The message is all over the place, pricing has been pushed to a place that is simply ridiculous, and PR and Marketing seem to be on a different planet. They continue to burn through the goodwill that was built up prior to 2005 at an alarming rate.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
But Bob said he was listening, remember?

Young Dolph Money GIF by Worldstar Hip Hop

But being serious, I agree. They have lost their way. The message is all over the place, pricing has been pushed to a place that is simply ridiculous, and PR and Marketing seem to be on a different planet. They continue to burn through the goodwill that was built up prior to 2005 at an alarming rate.

We 'R' The Magic

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
There's almost no way Cosmic Rewind would get anything remotely close to a 4 hour standby wait.

It potentially could for a few days when it first goes to standby (although I think even that is unlikely), but it would be short lived. The people that really want to ride it (and thus would create that type of line) have already been on it multiple times and wouldn't be interested in such a wait.

That's been the position I've wanted to post. CR would have a long wait initially but it wouldn't take long for it to normalize. I personally believe that the hype for the ride is way overblown and the only reason the VQ's go so quickly is FOMO.

TrainsOfDisney

So, according to a couple of people in these comments, I am unfairly depriving other people if I go on an attraction multiple times, and should just bend over and accept my one ride per day like a good little subservient Disney guest? what a ridiculous line of thinking.
Now you’ve got it! And don’t you dare think about getting in line for a second dole whip!!!

el_super

the other guests can do whatever they want

And they don't want to wait in line... hence the need for the VQ.

Whatever the demand is now, it's still too much to offer standby without inconvenience to the majority of their guests. When the day comes that the demand is lower, they will move it to standby and Genie+.

el_super

So, according to a couple of people in these comments, I am unfairly depriving other people if I go on an attraction multiple times, and should just bend over and accept my one ride per day like a good little subservient Disney guest? what a ridiculous line of thinking.

Or you can pay more money in order to get something more than other people. That's how the world works.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom