If no wand -- What would you like?

dismedic

I do like the Disco ball , But I prefer a large over size club be placed next to the Giant golf ball and GIGANTIC letters that Spell out FOUR!

DisneyDefenders

No stitch in Epcot!

From a old thread (tks to DisneyLeo18 for the picture) -

spaceshipearth_mikew.jpg

How about making this look more like a little blue experiment known to some as 626...I mean...he doesn't have a home in Epcot yet! :lookaroun

ciscobee

I agree with the other poster that suggested lighting. There are some cool day and night effects you can do with lighting. Or, even mount a giant sign right in the middle of the ball that says EPCOT and what the acronym stands for immediately beneath the logo. That way it is not celebration specific and still provides a visual while your driving in on World Center Drive.

How do they mount pictures to sides of buildings? Like they did with the RenCen in Detroit at SuperBowl 40? There was a huge poster like thing on the outside ... like a colorform or shrinkydink that was stuck to the building. Maybe they can do that with a round surface as well.

Or ... maybe they could make it into a mosaic image where as you walk from left to right around the ball the image changes? Different stages of Earth's development?

... or maybe it's just best to leave it alone, and put the cool glowing statue thingy back on fountain out in front and call it a day.

goodolgm

That's what I was thinking. While I'm not a huge fan of LED lighting ideas and how it's being overpimped, I think SSE could benefit from LED washlights w/ slow color changes, similar to Cinderella Castle, or whatever colors those in charge see fit for the particular time of the year. Would make color changing as easy as a keystroke too.

CoffeeJedi

Or, even mount a giant sign right in the middle of the ball that says EPCOT and what the acronym stands for immediately beneath the logo.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
*ahem* sorry, what I really meant to say was NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Seriously though, new lighting effects would be great. I would love to have hidden individual colored spots (most likely LED to keep the size down) in between the triangular panels, so that each little panel section could have its own lighting effect. You could do really complex patterns or even "dancing" lights at night, but during the day SSE would remain its elegant silver self.

The problem of course with this idea is maintaining every single spotlight. If one went out, it would be incredibly noticeable; like a dead pixel on your laptop.

PaisleyMF

I have to agree with Lee on the Pani projections

pani_projector_screen.jpg

Just like they use to on Illuminations on the Pavilions.

And the Use of Automated Luminaries (like Cinderella's Castle) will give a nostalgic look, plus a new twist, project whatever they want and animated.

JimboJones123

Original Poster
I have to agree with Lee on the Pani projections

pani_projector_screen.jpg

Just like they use to on Illuminations on the Pavilions.

And the Use of Automated Luminaries (like Cinderella's Castle) will give a nostalgic look, plus a new twist, project whatever they want and animated.
Maybe some Retro Epcot stuff projected. Butler from Horizons. Dreamfinder Blimp.

Krozar

Yes, at the very least, go back to the old color patterns. While going around, I have counted 79 lights. Is this the entire original lighting package? (anyone know?) 3 or so appear to be deactivated or entirely removed from the housings. To get its effect, they are merely shining them all on SSE at once.

JimboJones123

Original Poster
They should try some subliminal advertising. Maybe if Pal Mickey comes out with a new outfit, let the globe enter the watcher's subconcious and boost those sales by 850%.

They could add electrons and their orbits to it and make it look like a giant atom with the electrons whirling around.

Add an attraction that takes you to the top of the ball, a vertical peoplemover, or a skyway from Imagination to Mission Space.

Epcot82Guy

I think there are a lot of possibilities. While WS is cool for the parade, it does create a bottleneck.

I personally think the best 25th thing they could do would be a tribute on the back of SSE tied to the Fountain of Nations. Use some of the classic songs at the top of each hour (and the normal ones in between).

Then, at the end of that month-long stint or whatever it would be, switch to using the globe projections. I think if they could actually create the rotation effect like the original post cards have (which is VERY possible using that system), it would be downright amazing. Plus, that's a fairly easy upgrade to do for the long run. Just swap out the projection videos for any number of things (F&W, F&G, holidays, etc.)

mroman

I'm glad to see the wand go but I do think they should update Spaceship Earth a bit, especially for the anniversary.
I know the grooves between all the tiles are special because they channel the rain water away but I think it would be a neat effect if somehow they could put some sort of LED or fiber optic lighting system somehow within the tile channels. That would be a pretty nice effect. Probably tons of work, but a nice touch.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom