If I could improve Walt Disney World....

mharrington

IMAGINATION! Under "New" Management

As I said before, one of the mistakes that I will correct at EPCOT will be the IMAGINATION! pavilion. All of the attractions here will be redone to remove as many references to the Imagination Institute as possible. We all know the current attractions are dumb, to put it mildly. Instead, we'll have Figment and Dreamfinder back. The only reference to the Institute is the logo sign out front, but this time, there is a sloppily-painted sign tacked onto the bottom of the Institute sign saying, "Under New Management", with a figure of Figment nearby hold a can of paint and a brush (think the Tiki Room). The first thing here is the Imagination dark ride. You can provide some suggestions, too.

JOURNEY INTO IMAGINATION WITH FIGMENT
This is a brand-new ride with no references whatsoever to Dr. Nigel Channing or the Imagination Institute. It's a double-level dark ride (double-level because it makes use of the upper level of the pavilion as well as the lower). It will be a somewhat newer version of the original ride (but with a small bit of the new ride). You first begin in the Dreamport (where you go through Figment's upside-down house) and then through some newer versions of old and new scenes (i.e., the old art room with its polage wall, a new scene about science different from the original, etc.). Halfway through the ride, you ascend a spiral staircase to the aforementioned upper level. The finale of the ride involves an evil shadow version of Figment known as Antifigment (with black skin instead of purple, thus making him look like the dragon version of Maleficent). The black version knows about the imagination just as well as does the good Figment, but tries to expand his greatest fears into an overwhelming nightmare. Figment is seen here fighting his twin among scenery of evil in a spoof on Star Wars. Dreamfinder is heard (but not seen) saying, "Use the imagination, Figment!" (a spoof on "Use the force, Luke!"). Will Figment triumph? Find out on this new attraction at EPCOT Center’s Imagination pavilion! This ride also involves rewritten lyrics of "One Little Spark", including some ones created for the original ride but never used.

Anyway, can anyone provide input about what to include? I mean, the new ride will be twice as long as the original ride.

The next attraction is... KODAK IMAGEWORKS
This is a new double-level version of the ImageWorks featuring some of the best of the past and the present, as well as some brand-new exhibits. Some of the old things reinstated into this area will include the famous rainbow tunnel (only this time, there will be not one but two tunnels, each housing the up and down escalators between the two floors), the School of Drama with Dreamfinder (the Chroma-Key video stories for kids where they follow Dreamfinder’s instructions) and the pin screens. Even Lumia will be restored (in case you don't know, it's a seven-foot-diameter ball in which sounds of frequencies and intensities create patterns of light and colors). Some of the current things retained in this area will include the picture kiosk where you put your face onto other things and then have the ability to send it out over the Internet. And some of the new, original things brought into the ImageWorks include "The Power of Imagination" (where you create your own adventure with Figment on a computer and then climb into a simulator and experience your handiwork one-on-one) and "What a Story!" Here you enter a booth where there are some computers, each with a program on it. Figment and/or Dreamfinder appear in the program and ask you for certain words a la Mad-Libs. When you are finished, you then move to a photo booth where it takes your picture. Then you move into a small theater that holds about 20 people. You enter the theater and wait then a film starts. The film is what you did on the computer. They put your head on a character and put the words you picked from the computer in the film. Figment and/or Dreamfinder narrate the story. Each time you go to the attraction, a different film will show in the theater so it is different every time. At the end of the film you can purchase your film for a small fee. Yes, there are a lot of exhibits here, both on the upper and lower levels of the pavilion building. What do you think of these ideas and can you think of any exhibits?

And last but not least, there's a new 3D show called... JUST IMAGIC
This is a new 3D movie that will replace "Honey, I Shrunk the Audience". It is be a newer version of the original 3D movie, "Magic Journeys". The story involves two boys, an old gentleman and Figment and Dreamfinder. The plot is similar to that of the current JII ride in that the old gentleman believes that the imagination should be and forever remain captured and controlled. But the two liberal boys believe that the imagination should not be treated that way at all and think that it works best when set free. At first, the practical gentleman dismisses the boys' warnings as unbelievable and impossible. But with the help of Figment and Dreamfinder, the boys persist, going so far as to demonstrate how some common things can trigger the imagination when you put your mind to it (here, it reuses old scenes from the original Magic Journeys film). By the end of the film, the boys and Figment and Dreamfinder finally convince the old man how much fun a free imagination really is. This attraction heralds the return of the "Magic Journeys" theme song (which was written by the famous Disney songwriting team of Richard M. and Robert B. Sherman for that attraction's opening way back in 1982) as well as a new song heard in the waiting area for the show: "Happiness Is In the Memories".

So what do you think of these ideas here? I would like some feedback soon... :cool: As you saw, the new Imagination pavilion will bring some classics out of retirement...

mharrington

And just so's you know, the Country Bear show will be revised slightly. No new shows will be shown, but there will be some variation in what is shown depending on the time of year you visit. All three versions of the shown will be shown at different times of the year. Here's specifically what will be shown when:

• COUNTRY BEAR VACATION HOEDOWN (Memorial Day Weekend to Labor Day Weekend)
  • JINGLE BEAR JAMBOREE (Mid-November to early January)
  • ORIGINAL COUNTRY BEAR JAMBOREE (Rest of the year)

What do you think? The reason I'm going like this is to mix it up so that all three shows can be viewed at various times of the year.

mharrington

At the Magic Kingdom, should Frontierland and Liberty Square be encompassed and renamed something else, like Americaland? That has a ring to it, don't you think?

Wannabe Walt

no...not really. sorry bud. Frontierland and Liberty Square need to stay seperated. They send two different messages and time period themes, it's best to leave them seperate.

mharrington

Okay, I understand. It was just a suggestion anyway. The only reason I suggested it is because they're kind of go in a specific historic order if you were to approach Liberty Square from the hub and head westward to BTM, that's all.

Wannabe Walt

I see your point, and it does make sense. However... I believe that they should stay seperate, especially if you come from Adventureland to Frontierland, then it kindof throws it out...same with Fantasyland to Liberty Square. True, Adventureland is made up of three different themes (Jungle, Caribbean, Arabian) and Fantasyland is two mainly but Liberty Square and Frontierland are, yes, the early American years, but they have to different messages. Liberty Square is to celebrate our Freedom and show the 1700's. Frontierland shows our great movement westward (1800's and 1900's). They COULD be put together, but the differences in the lands say they should be left apart.

I'm not trying to be rude, honestly...I know some of this probably sounded like it, but I'm not. I'm just supporting my opinion. :D

mharrington

I'm not accusing you of being rude because I understand your point. Besides, I personally don't really want to do this, I just thought, "What if..."

mharrington

1. The Great Movie Ride: This ride will be renovated significantly. Nothing will be changed until you reach "Raiders" after the substitute driver attempts to grab the jewel only to disappear in a cloud of smoke and you get your original driver back. After that, you go onto a scene about love stories. Here, gone is the "Tarzan" scene. In its place is An Affair To Remember, where you see Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr on the ocean liner, promising to meet each other on the Empire State Building. After that, you go through the Casablanca scene where the love story theme holds out. After this, you go through the Fantasia scene. Here, gone is the projection of Sorcerer Mickey. Instead, this scene will be another full-blown scene featuring audio-animatronics of Mickey and characters from two other segments of the film: The Nutcracker Suite (w/ mushrooms and fairies) and Dance of the Hours (w/ a hippo and an alligator). The design of the alligator and the hippo is copied almost verbatim from that one float in SpectroMagic. This scene will still be similar to the old one in that Mickey, with his magic, will sometimes spray you with mist. Then after The Wizard of Oz, instead of the normal film finale room, that room would be used as a scene devoted to action movies represented by two scenes: one is the James Bond movie, Goldfinger, the other is Chinatown. Goldfinger is represented by the most famous scene in the movie: Goldfinger's banter with the obstinate Bond tied down in the path of a laser beam (BOND: "Do you expect me to talk?" GOLDFINGER: "No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die."). The Chinatown scene shows Jake Gittes confronting the real Mrs. Mulwray. Then you reenter the loading area, but all the lights are out, and it looks similar to the end of the current Journey Into Imagination ride, with all the fiber optic lights on the walls, so you can't tell it's the unloading area. A big screen is on the wall, directly to the right of the car. The seats then rotate 90 degrees to the right to face the screen and the big film finale is shown as usual, albeit significantly altered a bit, and then at the end, a speaker shouts, "And... cut!" and the lights return and you exit your car. These ideas would definitely update this ride a bit, while still leaving most of the old movies there, and keeping them from doing any major building changes.

I've also decided to update the pre-show theater that runs trailers from the movies seen in the ride. Currently, the movies shown in this area are:

• Fantasia
  • Footlight Parade
  • Singin' In the Rain
  • Alien
  • Raiders of the Lost Ark
  • The Searchers
  • Casablanca
  • Mary Poppins

With the ride being updated with additional movies, I've decided to add trailers for "Chinatown" and "An Affair To Remember" to the trailer roster. "Chinatown" will play after "Singin' In the Rain" and "Affair" after "The Searchers". They and all the new films to be shown in the ride will play in the end-of-ride film montage, as well.

If during the new Fantasia scene in GMR my proposed Mickey AA looks vaguely familiar, it's because it will be recycled from the old Mickey Mouse Revue show from the Magic Kingdom. The Mickey figure will be the exact same one as from that show, but without the tux and the baton. If you can imagine the Mickey AA from the Mickey Mouse Revue wearing the trademark sorcerer's getup, then you have an idea of what to expect in the new Fantasia scene in the new and improved Great Movie Ride.

Oh, yeah, the sorcerer's hat out front will be relocated to a different area in the park, possibly the Animation Courtyard, freeing up the view of the Chinese Theater.

What music should be used in the new Fantasia scene of the ride? Because three of the scenes in the movie will be used in the ride, specifically The Sorcerer's Apprentice (represented by Mickey), The Nutcracker Suite (various fairies and mushrooms) and Dance of the Hours (a hippo and an alligator dancing together). So can anyone think of what music to use? I'm actually think of a medley, but maybe you know better...

MathewGW

I really like most of your ideas, they really do add something to the park.

I really like the ideas for the great movie ride, especally the Action movie room (I love Bond films), possibly you could add a Lord of the Rings scene, just to add something recent that many youngsters will have seen. How about the Bridge of Kazad Dum? With an anamatronic Gandalf saying "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!"

mharrington

I really like the ideas for the great movie ride, especally the Action movie room (I love Bond films), possibly you could add a Lord of the Rings scene, just to add something recent that many youngsters will have seen. How about the Bridge of Kazad Dum? With an anamatronic Gandalf saying "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!"

Well, where could it go? Because I'm kinda short on space as it is. Otherwise, a Lord of the Rings scene could work, too.

MathewGW

Well, where could it go? Because I'm kinda short on space as it is. Otherwise, a Lord of the Rings scene could work, too.

You could always shorten the fantasia scene, or even remove the china town scene and replace it with Moria. It just seems to me that The Great Movie Ride could do with some references to movies that the younger generation will recognise as well as classics likr Casablanca.

You could also replace alien with Star Wars or something?

mharrington

All right, a LOTR scene, it is. It will replace Chinatown as one of the action scenes. It could also make a good final scene, both chronologically and climatically.

MathewGW

The great movie ride REALLY needs an update, last time I was there (admittedly 5 years ago) it looked a little dated, and a friend of mine went last year and said the same thing. Dinsey should take note, and add it to the list of rides needing TLC.

Not to hop onto your thread, but I came up with how the LOTR scene could go.

The cars pass from the James Bond scene into a darkened area, with stone lined walls and red lighting resembling flame. The host would then make a comment about how we have entered the Mines of Moria, where the Fellowship are atempting to escape a band of rampaging Orcs. a roar would be heard as we pass the Bridge of Kazad Dum and the Amamatronic Gandalf slams his staff down while crying "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!" at the Balrog.

Whaddya think mharrington?

mharrington

The great movie ride REALLY needs an update, last time I was there (admittedly 5 years ago) it looked a little dated, and a friend of mine went last year and said the same thing. Dinsey should take note, and add it to the list of rides needing TLC.

Not to hop onto your thread, but I came up with how the LOTR scene could go.

The cars pass from the James Bond scene into a darkened area, with stone lined walls and red lighting resembling flame. The host would then make a comment about how we have entered the Mines of Moria, where the Fellowship are atempting to escape a band of rampaging Orcs. a roar would be heard as we pass the Bridge of Kazad Dum and the Amamatronic Gandalf slams his staff down while crying "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!" at the Balrog.

Whaddya think mharrington?

Yeah, I definitely feel it's high-time to update the ride and my updates are such to change it, but not too much. Anyway, from which of the three LOTR films does your scene come from? I've seen them all, but I'm kinda fuzzy on the details.

mharrington

With the ride being updated with additional movies, I've decided to add trailers for "Chinatown" and "An Affair To Remember" to the trailer roster. "Chinatown" will play after "Singin' In the Rain" and "Affair" after "The Searchers". They and all the new films to be shown in the ride will play in the end-of-ride film montage, as well.

After I was told to have a Lord of the Rings section in place of Chinatown, I've decided to replace it in the trailers scene as well, provided it's not too long (i.e., more than three minutes).

MathewGW

After I was told to have a Lord of the Rings section in place of Chinatown, I've decided to replace it in the trailers scene as well, provided it's not too long (i.e., more than three minutes).

It's Fellowship of the Ring. There were a few trailers, and there would be at least one under 3 mins

mharrington

It's Fellowship of the Ring. There were a few trailers, and there would be at least one under 3 mins

Thank you! I'll take it! So here now is the final movie roster in the new and improved Great Movie Ride from start to finish:

• Footlight Parade (1933)
  • Singin' In the Rain (1952)
  • Mary Poppins (1964)
  • Public Enemy (1931)
  • The Searchers (1956)
  • Alien (1979)
  • Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
  • An Affair To Remember (1957)
  • Casablanca (1942)
  • Fantasia (1940)
  • The Wizard of Oz (1939)
  • Goldfinger (1964)
  • The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)

So what do you think, huh?

MathewGW

Awesome, I love the Bond idea btw, and modern ride tech would alow the lazer to be really cool. If the Bond theme was playing as you passed, I'd go mental, and then with the LOTR Fellowship theme playing as you enter the Mines, id be a happy boy :D

mharrington

Awesome, I love the Bond idea btw, and modern ride tech would alow the lazer to be really cool. If the Bond theme was playing as you passed, I'd go mental, and then with the LOTR Fellowship theme playing as you enter the Mines, id be a happy boy :D

How about the theme song for "Goldfinger"?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom