Iconic Purple Directional Signs Being Replaced

lazyboy97o

You'll love the maneuver I would sometimes see in the Philadelphia area, then. After turning onto the wrong exit, some idiots actually stop and attempt to back up on the exit lane to get back on the interstate. I even once encountered someone who was honking rather angrily because the those of us behind him wouldn't get out his way as he tried to drive in reverse.
I think this was just to pass people, but about to weeks ago I almost hit a motorcyclist who entered an exit that does ramp up to an overpass who then darted over and jumped a couple of feet back down onto the highway and took off at probably over 100 mph. It was like watching a video game. I just couldn’t believe it.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
As a whole in many places (including Florida), they are usually reserved as informational and not as directional as exit signs. So if someone isn't looking for food or lodging, I can see how they are missed
Well... since most the U.S. has chosen green over blue for their hiway signage, then I guess that makes WDW a unique little bubble that separates it from the usual.

Brad Bishop

I have driven across this country coast to coast and I see green signs all over the place. I have never looked up and seen a blue street sign. Maybe they exist somewhere but I have never seen them. To me this is still different and easier to read than the purple background. And as far as I am concerned anything that will make it easier for the goofballs driving in the left lane to realize that they are in the wrong lane BEFORE the exit they need is welcome. I am rather tired of seeing someone yank their wheel across all lanes of traffic to take an exit they just suddenly realized was upon them. God forbid they drive to the next exit and come back to the one they missed.

They're there. They're more "informational" signs like:
- Rest Area
- Businesses at upcoming exit (fuel, food, lodging)

Good explanation / review:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
They look like large, "Rest Area with Facilates, 1mi Ahead," signs.

My guess: The old signs reached their lifespan (funny how that didn't happen to the Monorail trains) and they had to do something so they choose the cheapest route and "claim" it matches the new 50th Celebration That Falls Flat colors.
I had a dog once that I was convinced could read the words "Rest Area." He'd no sooner see a sign for one than he'd start whining and dancing like he had to find a tree.

And then he'd take his sweet time walking around sniffing every spot that had been watered in the past week.

Vegas Disney Fan

Oh boy! Now I must subscribe to this! It will be right up there with diecast resurrection, techmoan and Dave’s radio adventures, LOL
Don’t even get my started on nerdy YouTube channels… battleship New Jersey, Adam savage, wristwatch revival, mentour pilot… my girlfriend loves giving me a hard time because I don’t watch TV and watch weird educational YouTube channels instead.

LittleBuford

I have driven across this country coast to coast and I see green signs all over the place. I have never looked up and seen a blue street sign.
In the UK, motorway signs are a similar shade of blue to the new WDW signs:

d63a066dc0a0099ba9e327e5cb0ddf39.jpg

Unfortunately, this is the first association I had when I saw the photo at the beginning of the thread. That, combined with the fact that I'm a huge fan of the '90s aesthetic, means I'm really going to miss the old purple signs, though I realise it's all very subjective and not worth getting upset over.

ETA: I posted this before seeing @Heppenheimer's comments. It seems that motorway blue is standard across Europe (and perhaps elsewhere in the Old World).

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Did people miss this post, in which it is shown why the blue is reminiscent of parts of Europe?
View attachment 617028

If you happen to live in a blue country, the signage will be a firm reminder of your daily commute. Add in some traffic jams and a bit of road rage to your drive to the MK and you're back home, Monday morning 8:45am and running late.

1643742620670.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom