I witnessed a man take 20+ minutes to order his food yesterday

AEfx

I've been in cafeteria lines that have signs posted that they will not serve you if you're on the phone. :sohappy:

I was at the post office today and two obnoxious people were both talking loudly on their cell phones, and one was asked to please be quiet or go outside, and the one who tried to talk through her transaction was told she had to wait until the clerk had her full attention. :)

It made my heart very happy. :D

Cell phones are necessary evils, but that doesn't mean they are appropriate everywhere, and the revolt is happening. Businesses of all types are cracking down on their use in public spaces. It stuns me that some people are so oblivious that they don't think there is anything wrong with using their LOUD CELL PHONE VOICE and talking about nonsense ("Oh, did you wear that cute shirt you bought last week yet?")

I told a guy to shut his phone off at Laff Floor the other week. This guy was sitting in the back row (feet from a CM) and talked for 2-3 minutes very loudly on his phone. He was speaking another language, and since I didn't understand it at first myself and others just thought he was talking to his kids. And then after the first minute or two we realized he was on the damn phone.

I couldn't hear anything on the stage over him, so I looked over and said, kinda loud, "Get off the phone." He did, and looked like he was amused someone asked him to do so. I gave him the "hairy eye", and so did several other people. He was talking right in the back of one poor woman's head who had turned several times thinking he was talking to her. I got three thank you's, a handshake, and a half dozen smiles when the show was over, though.

Not shy am I. :)

I actually stopped by guest relations and really nicely suggested they add "Please turn off your cell phones" to the spiel at Laff Floor when they say no flash photography, etc. That's being pro-active, LOL. Don't know if they will add it, but I really hope they do - especially since they promote having them out via the texting feature before the show. Something like, "Okay, we're done taking jokes now, please put them away or the Laff Meter won't work!"

AEfx

jiminy.cricket

Eh, someone like that, who may have genuine emotional issues that makes it hard for the synapses to fire in a decision-making mode, I can feel bad for. It's the people who are just too lazy to organize their thoughts and/or their families to get their orders together, and then complain when the order is invariably wrong, that makes me want to go all Grand Theft Auto on 'em. You see it all the time in fast food places everywhere, but it seems more wrong when at WDW, when every nanosecond is precious...

"Uh, yeah...I want...a cheesburger...with fries...and a coke...and another cheeseburger...with fries...and a coke...and...uh...Velveeta! Velveeta! What you want, baby? You want a cheeseburger? Cheeseburger? Wha...wha...wh...chicken nuggets? You got chicken nuggets? They got chicken tenders, Velveeta! They're LIKE chicken nuggets! They're exactly like chicken nuggets! Wha...you got fish sandwich? Yeah, give me a fish sandwich...and...a fry...and a Coke...oh, yeah, that last cheeseburger? No cheese on that...yeah, just a hamburger...and another cheeseburger

(A$$H0LE, WHY DIDN'T YOU JUST MAKE THAT NEXT CHEESEBURGER A HAMBURGER?!?!?!?!)

...and a fry...and a diet coke...oh, yeah, I need a chocolate shake, too. No, INSTEAD of one of the Cokes. And another chocolate shake...oh, you got pizza? Velveeta! VELVEETA! They got pizza! OK, make that fish sandwich a pizza...nah, plain's good...and...another fish sandwich...

...and...that'll be it. How much is that? Hold on...WHAT! No, Velveeta can't have a pizza AND a fish sandwich! No! NO! She ain't throwin' up again! She is NOT...throwing UP...a-GAIN! What? What? Uh...and a fish sandwich...and a fry...

(and then they wonder why so many fast food/counter service employees are all dead-eyed. Half of their customers are like this, and the other half look down on them for having this job in the first place, so retreating into your own private Idaho is the only thing that keeps the gun out of most of these kids' hands)

:ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL:

LMAO! This is so true!

I personally don't have a problem with people who are confused or need to take time to figure things out (luckily I never worked register; I was told I should never work it anyway), but I mainly have a problem with people's attitudes (especially if they're upset due to their own faults/(stupidity?))!! I've wanted to get personal with some guests! :fork: :fork:

It's no wonder quick-service food and beverage offers premium pay--not many people enjoy working there. It's thankless, employees are expected to work their _____ off in an uber-tacky costume, and you get absolutely no respect whatsoever from anyone!!! It's hard work, but the work is not even that bad compared to the work environment and the way people are treated sometimes. I was so excited I screamed when our restaurant finally closed on the 4th of July. Qsfb made my blood pressure rise so much...

I wish there were a way for those CMs to mandate more respect...because they definitely deserve it for putting up with all that _____. And sometimes people can get ugly. I can't count how many times I wanted to hurt somebody!

And if you eat in a QSR, please please clean up after yourself (either that or leave a tip)!

Thankfully, there were those managers, other CMs, and guests that brightened the day, but it's a tragedy only the rotten apples stick out in memory. Thanks a lot for bringing up this topic! I just had to get that off my chest and I would be too upset to bring it up myself.

Whew...sorry for the long rant. I think that was my first angry post. Wow...that was somewhat cathartic...

Oh, the darker memories of being a CM...nostalgia is so overrated (even though I'm a sucker and love it!!).

DDuckFan130

I was at the post office today and two obnoxious people were both talking loudly on their cell phones, and one was asked to please be quiet or go outside, and the one who tried to talk through her transaction was told she had to wait until the clerk had her full attention. :)

Cell phones are necessary evils, but that doesn't mean they are appropriate everywhere, and the revolt is happening. Businesses of all types are cracking down on their use in public spaces. It stuns me that some people are so oblivious that they don't think there is anything wrong with using their LOUD CELL PHONE VOICE and talking about nonsense ("Oh, did you wear that cute shirt you bought last week yet?")

I told a guy to shut his phone off at Laff Floor the other week. This guy was sitting in the back row (feet from a CM) and talked for 2-3 minutes very loudly on his phone. He was speaking another language, and since I didn't understand it at first myself and others just thought he was talking to his kids. And then after the first minute or two we realized he was on the damn phone.

I couldn't hear anything on the stage over him, so I looked over and said, kinda loud, "Get off the phone." He did, and looked like he was amused someone asked him to do so. I gave him the "hairy eye", and so did several other people. He was talking right in the back of one poor woman's head who had turned several times thinking he was talking to her. I got three thank you's, a handshake, and a half dozen smiles when the show was over, though.

I actually stopped by guest relations and really nicely suggested they add "Please turn off your cell phones" to the spiel at Laff Floor when they say no flash photography, etc. That's being pro-active, LOL. Don't know if they will add it, but I really hope they do - especially since they promote having them out via the texting feature before the show. Something like, "Okay, we're done taking jokes now, please put them away or the Laff Meter won't work!"

AEfx
Laugh...not Laff...is that a joke? :lookaroun

Kidding aside and back to the topic, sorry for that poor CM who had to deal with it. I'm one of those that makes everyone in my family (5 of us) decide what they want before I get in line...or at the very least if the lines are long enough, I give them a minute or two to decide. I think once or twice did I change something at the last minute in my head, but it's hard keeping track of 5 orders unless we all get the same thing :hammer:

Slowjack

On a slightly unrelated subject, have you ever walked into a counter service restaurant with a long line on one side of the cashier island and no line on the opposite side. Both sides of the cashier island are usually open, but the casual tourist doesn't realize this. You will get those fast pass dirty looks if you exercise your "other side" option, but it's perfectly within your rights to do so. The cashier will alternate between sides.
That happened to me and my party at Star Tours once. Both queues were open but everyone was taking the right line. We hopped into the left line and walked all the way to the front with no wait. There wasn't a huge line regardless, but boy did we get some hate stares.

LeeLee D

There are actually some people who have real problems when confronted with too many choices. There's probably a clinical name for it.

:confused:

Don't know if there is a name (adult ADD?), but I have a horrible time when given too many choices. I tend to be reduced to a quivering mass of indecisive jelly. However, I would never make people wait behind me because I'm a freak :animwink: . I don't get on line until I have made my choices. It helps to have online menus posted, but for those who don't have access to menus beforehand can decide before joining the line.

:D Indecisivly yours,

LeeLee D

wvdisneyfamily

AEfx

:sohappy: yay:sohappy: yay:sohappy: yay:sohappy:
More people should vocally oppose rude cell phone use on rides and at shows in WDW!!!

wvdisneyfamily

That happened to me and my party at Star Tours once. Both queues were open but everyone was taking the right line. We hopped into the left line and walked all the way to the front with no wait. There wasn't a huge line regardless, but boy did we get some hate stares.

That happened to me at Pirates. Everyone was taking the left side and the CM kept saying the right side is open. We took the right side and people got all huffy and bent out of shape.

LoriMistress

I completely agree. These are people who have absolutely no people skills what-so-ever, and have no idea how to function while under pressure. It's so frustrating trying to be patient.

Qatari girl

It was pouring rain while at the Magic Kingdom yesterday, so I hopped on over to the Terrace Noodle Station for a quick bite and an escape from the rain. While in line waiting to order, a man in front of me just stood there staring at the menu. After a few minutes the CM asked "How may I help you?" The man just stared at him for what seemed like an eternity and asked him "Is the beef and broccoli any good?" The CM replied "Oh, yeah it's my favorite." This mans reply was "How do you know?" At this point I began to seek out another line, because I knew this was going nowhere fast. The CM said "I've had everything. This is my favorite." "Oh... So you've had everything? What's your favorite?" That is the last I heard from this guy while heading over to the line next to it.

After ordering and receiving my meals, I turned around and started to head towards the seating area. This guy was still trying to order, holding up a huge line behind him. He comes over to me and starts poking his head around my food, his face about 4" away from my food. I immediately pulled back and gave him the stink eye.

After our meals, it was just about time for our fastpasses over at Space Mountain, so I cleared the tray and as I walked past the ordering lines... THERE HE WAS. Still asking questions and hadn't ordered a thing!

I felt bad for that CM

This man is unbeleivable, and he is really selfish:mad: .

Krozar

QSR folks get my respect. Merch does too.

Wouldn't happen without them and a 5th gate will never happen unless Disney somehow manages to get more of them.

As for resort front desk and guest relations... wow. They get mega props. Disney makes things though for them. Such things as the mega cheap KTTW cards which are demagnetized by anything.

TomDisney

I always enjoy the people that are standing in line and talking about everything else except what they are going to order. Then, after about 5-10 minutes of standing on line, when they finally reach the cashier to place their order, THEN they decide to ask little Jonny or Janey what they want to eat. This turns into another 10 minute ordeal. Then, just to top off the high blood pressure, the cashier gives them their total and then they start diving through all their pockets and purses for money.....AARGH!!!:brick:

jiminy.cricket

Not shy am I. :)AEfx

Thanks! I mean, I don't really have many problems with people unless they are being overtly rude or mean. I've met guests who do have problems with other guests and make me feel better after I've encountered a rude one, but I would feel even better if they had b****ed out the rude guest(s). So if anyone sees a CM being harassed, please feel free to stick up for them (not that you have to)! And vice-versa: rude CMs shouldn't be tolerated either. Maybe guests and managers and front-line CMs should all wear the exact same outfits to encourage an atmosphere of camaraderie; maybe I've just lost it...

Eyorefan

:sohappy: yay:sohappy: yay:sohappy: yay:sohappy:
More people should vocally oppose rude cell phone use on rides and at shows in WDW!!!

I had a professor in collage who would always say, at the beginning of the term, "Unless you are working on world peace or the cure for cancer, nothing you could possibly talk about is so important you have to talk about it during my class."
I find that the rule holds true for most things.

WDWFigment

Thanks! I mean, I don't really have many problems with people unless they are being overtly rude or mean. I've met guests who do have problems with other guests and make me feel better after I've encountered a rude one, but I would feel even better if they had b****ed out the rude guest(s). So if anyone sees a CM being harassed, please feel free to stick up for them (not that you have to)! And vice-versa: rude CMs shouldn't be tolerated either. Maybe guests and managers and front-line CMs should all wear the exact same outfits to encourage an atmosphere of camaraderie; maybe I've just lost it...

I've never really thought about how many rude guests there are until seeing this thread. You'd think everyone would be happy and, being in WDW, but I guess some people are always rude.

On my next trip I'm going to make a pointed effort to be extra-courteous to the CMs. I'm always polite, but so many of them make my day on my trips, why shouldn't I return the favor?

jiminy.cricket

I've never really thought about how many rude guests there are until seeing this thread. You'd think everyone would be happy and, being in WDW, but I guess some people are always rude.

On my next trip I'm going to make a pointed effort to be extra-courteous to the CMs. I'm always polite, but so many of them make my day on my trips, why shouldn't I return the favor?

Thank you!

laalaa

Customers

Eh, someone like that, who may have genuine emotional issues that makes it hard for the synapses to fire in a decision-making mode, I can feel bad for. It's the people who are just too lazy to organize their thoughts and/or their families to get their orders together, and then complain when the order is invariably wrong, that makes me want to go all Grand Theft Auto on 'em. You see it all the time in fast food places everywhere, but it seems more wrong when at WDW, when every nanosecond is precious...

"Uh, yeah...I want...a cheesburger...with fries...and a coke...and another cheeseburger...with fries...and a coke...and...uh...Velveeta! Velveeta! What you want, baby? You want a cheeseburger? Cheeseburger? Wha...wha...wh...chicken nuggets? You got chicken nuggets? They got chicken tenders, Velveeta! They're LIKE chicken nuggets! They're exactly like chicken nuggets! Wha...you got fish sandwich? Yeah, give me a fish sandwich...and...a fry...and a Coke...oh, yeah, that last cheeseburger? No cheese on that...yeah, just a hamburger...and another cheeseburger

(A$$H0LE, WHY DIDN'T YOU JUST MAKE THAT NEXT CHEESEBURGER A HAMBURGER?!?!?!?!)

...and a fry...and a diet coke...oh, yeah, I need a chocolate shake, too. No, INSTEAD of one of the Cokes. And another chocolate shake...oh, you got pizza? Velveeta! VELVEETA! They got pizza! OK, make that fish sandwich a pizza...nah, plain's good...and...another fish sandwich...

:brick: :brick: :brick: :brick: :brick: :brick: :brick: :brick: :brick:

...and...that'll be it. How much is that? Hold on...WHAT! No, Velveeta can't have a pizza AND a fish sandwich! No! NO! She ain't throwin' up again! She is NOT...throwing UP...a-GAIN! What? What? Uh...and a fish sandwich...and a fry...

(and then they wonder why so many fast food/counter service employees are all dead-eyed. Half of their customers are like this, and the other half look down on them for having this job in the first place, so retreating into your own private Idaho is the only thing that keeps the gun out of most of these kids' hands)

Oh this is so true its scary.

I noticed this alot the last time I was in WDW. If im ordering food anywhere I will stand back from the line, decide what I, and my family want and decide what drinks we'd like with that. I dont want to inconvenience others but i guess others either dont have any regard for ther people or are totally unaware.

I am a waitress in Pizza Hut and the amount of customers I have who come and fetch me whilst im doing something else telling me they want to order is unbeleivable. So you go over to their table and they clearly havent looked at the menu when they ask for "a normal pizza with just normal toppings"

My latest gem from work went like this

I was taking pizzas out to a table and was laying them down

Another customer approaches

Her:Can i order desserts please
Me: Yeah i'll be with you in a minute, im just serving these folks
Her:No, but i want them know
Me: Well i need to finish serving these customers first
Her:I dont care about them, I want my desserts!

Best bit was I had just been over to them to ask if they were ok before i started serving the other customers.

Some people are soooo rude.

Sherrybaby

lol.. Since I went to the next line over, after receiving the food I passed him still in the ordering line. He just had to walk about 5 feet to come sniff my food :ROFLOL:

I'm sorry, but this makes no sense. IF the man came over to you to "sniff" your food 5 feet away then he got out of line....period. The person behind him would have been IMMEDIATELY assisted by the CM. The CM is not going to stand there and wait for him while he walks 5 feet and looks at someone else's food, asks questions, and then walks back.

And I'm 100% certain if (as you say) the line behind him was ENORMOUS that no one is just going to stand there when the person in front of them just walked out of line. Nope, they are going to walk right up to the cashier and make their order. That's the way it works--you get out of line then you go to the end of the line, you lost your place. Not only at Disney, but everywhere unless someone is "holding" your place for you, which does not seem to be the case here.

Nope, there is something that just doesn't hold water here. :shrug:

Sherry

diddy_mouse

Being some one in the retail industry, I have many a tale to tell about customer rudness....but I won't go into them! ;) I do have a funny food-ordereing story though:

DH and I were at a Vocelli's pizza one night. There was a girl in front of us picking up her order (which was a cheesesteak) and the conversation read like this:

Rude Girl: "Hey, is there ketchup on my cheesesteak?
Pizza Dude: "No, it doesn't come with ketchup."
Rude Girl: "Well do you have any ketchup?"
Pizza Dude: (shakes head 'no')
Rude Girl: (leaves in a big huff, grumbling to her self "whaddya mean you don't have ketchup." then proceeds to go to Quiznos next door in search of the tomato based product.) :lol:

Oh, and don't get me started on the people who have to take their ENTIRE extended family up to the register. I mean come on....should the rest of your group find a place to sit down while you and maybe one other person order/carry the food back to the table? :hammer:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom