Trip Report I Will Survive.....Spring Break (with a hint of May) *COMPLETED*

At first I was afraid, I was petrified
Kept thinking I could never live among the Spring Break crowds
But then I spent so many nights thinking how I could be wrong
And I grew strong
And I knew I could get along....

Well that’s what I’m hoping for anyway. I’m not a newbie when it comes to navigating Spring Break at WDW. I’ve got a couple decades of experience under my belt. “Spring Break” isn’t a single week of cray cray crowds (like the week between Christmas and New Years) but is spread over March and April. Unfortunately one (or more) of those weeks can end up being cray cray....and these days, there is no way to predict which one.

Please don’t let it be this week.

But we are prepared. ADRs at 180 days. FPs at 60 days. Clothing for rain or shine. (Praying for shine ~ we’ve had enough rain over the last 4 months to set an ark afloat.) And attitudes willing to “go with the flow.” 🐢

My goal is to keep the updates live. Should I fail? There’s always Part “Tu”.

Who: Tuvalu, Woody and Em (the teacher whose schedule dictates when we go)
When: Sunday, March 31 - Sunday, April 7, 2019
Where: Port Orleans French Quarter
Why: Let’s hope we don’t ask ourselves this!
How: We’ve done the plane, can’t take the train....so it must be the automobile!

Will we be smiling at the end of the week? Stay tuned.

And if you don’t hang around for the smiles, you may want to peek in and see if there are any WDWMagic meet ups. I know of at least three forum friends I hope to encounter.

Now it’s off to bed! The alarm is set for zero-dark-thirty.

Songbird76

Minnie1986

Since this trip is primarily Em-centric (it is her spring break after all) she picked our ADRs.

Tonight’s dinner was here.

View attachment 360579

View attachment 360580

Although the menu did not have the item she wanted (and had a lesser version of the item I wanted) we were satisfied with our meals.

Afterwards the birds went for a boat ride.

View attachment 360581

View attachment 360582
Did you all enjoy the restaurant? Thinking about making an ADR here for my upcoming trip.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Part “Tu”

To be honest, I don’t have a whole lot more to share that isn’t already included in the LIVE part of this TR. But I have some thoughts/observations and several lovely photos from Em that I would like to add before declaring this report “completed.”

So how was driving versus flying?
During the past few years I have flown to WDW more often than driven. My last 4 trips were via aircraft. Living 7-8 hours from Disney via car, flying is not a huge time saver but offers more ways to pass the time so the journey is less boring. However, traveling by car gives flexibility and convenience and I found myself really enjoying both the drive down and back, despite periods of heavy traffic. (And heavy rain....but Woody was the driver during the single monsoon, so less anxiety for me!)

I have two more road trips planned this year. Wonder if my positive feelings will remain?

So how were the crowds....really?
The 4 parks are always busy now. But Em and I agree there were fewer people in the parks this first week of April than the first week of April last year (which happened to be Easter week.) Walkways weren’t overly congested which made it easy to get to our destinations. There were always open stalls in the restrooms. Lines at quick service locations were bearable. We got to see almost every attraction we wanted to; the couple we missed (Philharmagic, @Longers....and the nighttime BTMRR ride) were simply because it didn’t work out.

Overall a much better experience than we anticipated.

A recap of Day One ~
We left home around 6:30 am and arrived at POFQ at 3 pm. Our lunch stop at Sonny’s BBQ....though yummy....added to our travel time because service was SO SLOW. This is a pattern with Sonny’s and was the reason we did not stop at a Sonny’s on the way home.

I received our room ready text before arriving at the resort and we went straight to our room. We would definitely stay in Room 2201 again (as long as the bathroom outlet is working!) We loved its convenient location and the deluxe size bathroom. The shower needed a bit more water pressure since we prefer not to look like this:

C19322F9-D3E1-4150-8828-D6DC7FC02C76.jpeg

Otherwise it was a great room!

After a quick unpack we headed for the bus stop. At first there was no posted arrival time for the Epcot bus; when it appeared, it was 30 minutes out. We headed back to our car and were on the tram 20 minutes later....long before the bus was due to pick up.

We were in the park near the end of our SSE FP window. The attraction was down, so we opted for Living with the Land instead. These penguins (composed entirely of plastics retrieved from the ocean) were in front of the Land pavilion.

6C096539-9EAD-45F9-B1BC-347338DA16EC.jpeg

AA9B527E-590D-43B3-ABBA-A8A4C85BC1AE.jpeg

My dad and I are are going to see Disney’s Penguins later this week and we can’t wait!

The beginning of our LWTL ride was oddly quiet. No “violent and destructive” thunder or rain sound effects in the first scene, and no sound effects (other than the waterfall) in the rainforest scene as well. The a/c also seemed to be affected, as it was a very warm ride.

1B31AD39-76F1-4F26-9825-0A93CFB53B93.jpeg

Em saw on Instagram that the Orange Bird sippers were back in stock, so I knew where our next destination had to be....The Citrus Blossom!

320FC4BC-7C20-42BE-A5F3-54D3F18B0FCE.jpeg

The three of us were pretty thirsty and looked forward to the refreshment of the orange “slushy” contained in the sippers. After all, doesn’t the word “slush” or “slushy” infer ICE??!!

The disgustingly sweet, room temperature (NO ICE!) concoction went straight into the trash. Then Em and I spent several minutes at a restroom sink trying to thoroughly rinse out the sippers as the thick mixture clung to the insides. (Warning to future Orange Bird sipper purchases: request the container ONLY. You won’t miss the drink!)

We got stuck briefly on Frozen Ever After before our dinner at San Angel Inn.

73C9971B-7F63-4B17-9B32-0C8BA8F9E9D9.jpeg

Though the tables in this restaurant are much too close together, the “nighttime outdoors” atmosphere is really cool. San Angel has been hit-or-miss with us over the years. Our last two experiences were very good. The chips were warm and fresh and came with both red and green salsas. Em favored the veggie tacos and I couldn’t resist the Pollo a la Rajas ~ chicken covered in a red pepper queso over cilantro rice.

Now....menu changes. 😡

We did not receive chips and salsa. As we waited for our meals, I motioned our server and asked if chips and salsa were still offered. He brought a small bowl of stale chips to our table and some medium red salsa (no green). We nibbled and decided the chips weren’t worth the calories.

No more veggie tacos so Em ordered tortilla soup.
A8089A81-8EC6-4B0D-869E-B8C729FF158D.jpeg

She said the soup was surprisingly good!

Woody ordered Tacos de Carne. He said the dish was fine.
079F3F4E-DDC4-4E9E-97B1-334D56398048.jpeg

They messed with my fave Pollo a la Rajas. Potato slices instead of rice. Minimal red peppers.
178E4379-9A8B-4256-8F16-664C564FB022.jpeg

I ate it....but it was not nearly as tasty as before.

So @Minnie1986 make an ADR at your own risk. And if you do, check the menu a day or so before to ensure there are items your party will eat.

After a ride with the Three Caballeros we headed for the exit. Waiting an hour for Illuminations to begin was not appealing to us weary travelers tonight.

Day Two coming up!

Last edited:

lindawdw

I really enjoyed followed along with your Live TR! I'm glad you felt the crowds were better than you expected at this time of year. Looking forward to your next trip report if you go this summer. :)

Janir

We’ve been in the World 4 nights.

And haven’t seen Happily Ever After.

Em and I are having withdrawal symptoms.

Time to get our fix.

View attachment 361544

View attachment 361546

View attachment 361545

We are not ashamed to admit we sang along.
LOUDLY.

No other guests were nearby so we didn’t disturb anyone.

It was such a perfect end to the day. :inlove:
THERE'S NO SHAME AT ALL TO BE SINGING ALONG TO THE MUSIC DURING ANY FIREWORKS AT DISNEY RESORTS! NONE AT ALL!!
'Cause I'd do the same. ;-P

LadyBelle

In the Parks
No
So how was driving versus flying?
During the past few years I have flown to WDW more often than driven. My last 4 trips were via aircraft. Living 7-8 hours from Disney via car, flying is not a huge time saver but offers more ways to pass the time so the journey is less boring. However, traveling by car gives flexibility and convenience and I found myself really enjoying both the drive down and back, despite periods of heavy traffic. (And heavy rain....but Woody was the driver during the single monsoon, so less anxiety for me!)

I was curious about the drive. We are going to be driving this time, as my parents do not fly. What I was surprised about was your length of drive time. Apple maps has our drive time at 7:34 and we’re two states above you. Granted, it’s probably not factoring in certain things (and it being at night).

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster

Janir

Yes. But the current policy has always prohibited wagons and anything that is pulled, rather than pushed.
The way those wagons work is technically they can be pushed. There is a latch to allow you to push it vs pull, but with any sort of load in the cart it doesn't push very well. Its hard to keep straight when pushing.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Looking forward to your next trip report if you go this summer. :)
If?!? 😆
Thanks so much for reading!

this bothers me though...potato instead of rice?
178e4379-9a8b-4256-8f16-664c564fb022-jpeg.366775
Oh it bothered me too....a lot......and it wasn’t exactly a “bed of roasted garlic potatoes” as described on the menu. It was TWO mushy potato slices without flavor of their own.
Bring back the rice!!!

I was curious about the drive. We are going to be driving this time, as my parents do not fly. What I was surprised about was your length of drive time. Apple maps has our drive time at 7:34 and we’re two states above you. Granted, it’s probably not factoring in certain things (and it being at night).
Are you traveling 85 to 75S? Or 95 down the coast?
Our 7-8 hours factors in two stops: restroom and meal/fuel. And the inevitable traffic slowdown somewhere.

Janir

<quote snip>
Ahhh, but @epcotisbest is not your typical Disney-goer. He’s been known to spend a week onsite and NEVER enter a theme park.....:jawdrop:
You couldn't tie me down in my room and expect me not to visit a park while at Disney World. Heck, wife and I are power park tourists, plowing though several days in a row early to late. Heck our last trip 3 years ago we decided to stay in MK all day on our last day before heading out to home, after fireworks. We started our 24 hour drive to back home after a full day of MK with fireworks vs our original plan to start off that morning after being well rested.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
You couldn't tie me down in my room and expect me not to visit a park while at Disney World. Heck, wife and I are power park tourists, plowing though several days in a row early to late. Heck our last trip 3 years ago we decided to stay in MK all day on our last day before heading out to home, after fireworks. We started our 24 hour drive to back home after a full day of MK with fireworks vs our original plan to start off that morning after being well rested.
Just reading this makes me tired! :joyfull:
What say you, @epcotisbest?

epcotisbest

Just reading this makes me tired! :joyfull:
What say you, @epcotisbest?

We used to go park open to close and only use the room to sleep. Did that for many years. Then when we started slowing down and really enjoying everything, not rushing, the trips starting becoming more enjoyable.
Then we started just enjoying the resorts and all there is to do other than the the theme parks and those trips were relaxing, very enjoyable and we came home refreshed and renewed.
Yes, the busy trips were fun, but the relaxing trips were, and still are, the best trips ever.
Got these green and pink beauties in the mail yesterday. Going down in a few weeks for a week at SSR. We will spend quality time at all five pools, ride our bicycles every day, walk over to Disney Springs multiple times, head over to Ft. Wilderness one day and ride bicycles there, hit the farmer's market at Celebration to stock up on veggies, get up early every day and have breakfast on the balcony before a quiet stroll over to a pool, read a book or two, nap poolside, hit some of the outlet malls, head over to Sanaa for the bread service, do a resort hopping day riding the monorail over to Poly for a dole whip then walk along the beach over to GF, take the boat over to POR from DS then enjoy the walk along the river over to FQ for beignets, enjoy the lobby at WL then go down and watch the geyser and wander the lovely grounds, watch the fireworks from the Contemporary one night, catch an outdoor movie or two, watch the Electrical Water Pageant from a couple of different spots, might go to both water parks, Gospel Brunch at HOB Sunday morning, walk around the Boardwalk then grab a sundae at B&C, look for hidden Mickeys and stuff like that. I'm tired just thinking about all that. Guess we will have to soak in a hot tub or two and spend some time at Senses as well.
Since it is Flower and Garden Festival time we might go to Epcot one day, but that will be a spur of the moment decision the day of, with no fastpasses or ADR, just enjoying strolling around and enjoying all the floral beauty.
Yeah, that sounds terrible.

magic bands.jpg

Last edited:

Janir

We used to go park open to close and only use the room to sleep. Did that for many years. Then when we started slowing down and really enjoying everything, not rushing, the trips starting becoming more enjoyable.
Then we started just enjoying the resorts and all there is to do other than the the theme parks and those trips were relaxing, very enjoyable and we came home refreshed and renewed.
Yes, the busy trips were fun, but the relaxing trips were, and still are, the best trips ever.
Got these green and pink beauties in the mail yesterday. Going down in a few weeks for a week at SSR. We will spend quality time at all five pools, ride our bicycles every day, walk over to Disney Springs multiple times, head over to Ft. Wilderness one day and ride bicycles there, hit the farmer's market at Celebration to stock up on veggies, get up early every day and have breakfast on the balcony before a quite stroll over to a pool, read a book or two, nap poolside, hit some of the outlet malls, head over to Sanaa for the bread service, do a resort hopping day riding the monorail over to Poly for a dole whip then walk along the beach over to GF, take the boat over to POR from DS then enjoy the walk along the river over to FQ for beignets, enjoy the lobby at WL then go down and watch the geyser and wander the lovely grounds, watch the fireworks from the Contemporary one night, catch an outdoor movie or two, watch the Electrical Water Pageant from a couple of different spots, might go to both water parks, Gospel Brunch at HOB Sunday morning, walk around the Boardwalk then grab a sundae at B&C, look for hidden Mickeys and stuff like that. I'm tired just thinking about all that. Guess we will have to soak in the hottub and spend some time at Senses as well.
Since it is Flower and Garden Festival time we might go to Epcot one day, but that will be a spur of the moment decision the day of, with no fastpasses or ADR, just enjoying strolling around and enjoying all the floral beauty.
Yeah, that sounds terrible.

View attachment 367046
Ok if i lived close enough to get to Disney in one short day's drive, I'm sure we'd be there more often to the point where we'd probably relax a bit. But right now WDW trips from the frozen Tundra of Wisconsin is enough of a trip that we just pack as much in as we can, a bit crazily I'll admit, but hey, I've got to make up for years of childhood where WDW wasn't even a possibility.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom