Trip Report I Will Survive.....Spring Break (with a hint of May) *COMPLETED*

At first I was afraid, I was petrified
Kept thinking I could never live among the Spring Break crowds
But then I spent so many nights thinking how I could be wrong
And I grew strong
And I knew I could get along....

Well that’s what I’m hoping for anyway. I’m not a newbie when it comes to navigating Spring Break at WDW. I’ve got a couple decades of experience under my belt. “Spring Break” isn’t a single week of cray cray crowds (like the week between Christmas and New Years) but is spread over March and April. Unfortunately one (or more) of those weeks can end up being cray cray....and these days, there is no way to predict which one.

Please don’t let it be this week.

But we are prepared. ADRs at 180 days. FPs at 60 days. Clothing for rain or shine. (Praying for shine ~ we’ve had enough rain over the last 4 months to set an ark afloat.) And attitudes willing to “go with the flow.” 🐢

My goal is to keep the updates live. Should I fail? There’s always Part “Tu”.

Who: Tuvalu, Woody and Em (the teacher whose schedule dictates when we go)
When: Sunday, March 31 - Sunday, April 7, 2019
Where: Port Orleans French Quarter
Why: Let’s hope we don’t ask ourselves this!
How: We’ve done the plane, can’t take the train....so it must be the automobile!

Will we be smiling at the end of the week? Stay tuned.

And if you don’t hang around for the smiles, you may want to peek in and see if there are any WDWMagic meet ups. I know of at least three forum friends I hope to encounter.

Now it’s off to bed! The alarm is set for zero-dark-thirty.

epcotisbest

Ok if i lived close enough to get to Disney in one short day's drive, I'm sure we'd be there more often to the point where we'd probably relax a bit. But right now WDW trips from the frozen Tundra of Wisconsin is enough of a trip that we just pack as much in as we can, a bit crazily I'll admit, but hey, I've got to make up for years of childhood where WDW wasn't even a possibility.

We did the same thing, especially the making up for childhood thing. I was 23 the first time we went, back in 1983 when there was only MK and Epcot Center, and we were young and broke. Went often after that and wore ourselves out trying to do so much. Had to come home from vacation and go to work to get some rest.
Once we changed and slowed down, things got much better (and we were having a great time wearing ourselves out all those years too).
Our first no park trip we did not think we could do it. Now mind you, we used to also include Uni and SeaWorld in our trips and were SeaWorld annual passholders for several years. But, we survived and thrive doing things other than the parks and now we enjoy our trips even more. Maybe it is old age and we were blessed to be able to go often and have the opportunity to sorta burn out on the theme parks.
Our drive is only about nine hours so that is not too bad. We take other trips to the beach, mountains, etc...but still try at least one trip to WDW per year, sometimes two, and so far have been really enjoying out relaxed trips for the past several years.

epcotisbest

Just reading this makes me tired! :joyfull:
What say you, @epcotisbest?

I read your wonderful family trip reports and then have to rest after reading them. I admire your stamina. Still, I bet if you could try a no-park getaway, you would come home relaxed. I know it would be difficult for you three WDW travelers, but you could do it.
Ah, who am I kidding, no you couldn't. :)

epcotisbest

We started our 24 hour drive to back home after a full day of MK with fireworks vs our original plan to start off that morning after being well rested.

Now that is something I would not do even if someone paid me to do it. I have to be rested the night before the drive home and even back when we were going full blast, we would leave the parks early for a good night's rest before the drive home the next morning.

Rista1313

We did the same thing, especially the making up for childhood thing. I was 23 the first time we went, back in 1983 when there was only MK and Epcot Center, and we were young and broke. Went often after that and wore ourselves out trying to do so much. Had to come home from vacation and go to work to get some rest.
Once we changed and slowed down, things got much better (and we were having a great time wearing ourselves out all those years too).
Our first no park trip we did not think we could do it. Now mind you, we used to also include Uni and SeaWorld in our trips and were SeaWorld annual passholders for several years. But, we survived and thrive doing things other than the parks and now we enjoy our trips even more. Maybe it is old age and we were blessed to be able to go often and have the opportunity to sorta burn out on the theme parks.
Our drive is only about nine hours so that is not too bad. We take other trips to the beach, mountains, etc...but still try at least one trip to WDW per year, sometimes two, and so far have been really enjoying out relaxed trips for the past several years.
OK, so I have a question then. Why pay Disney property prices when you could relax somewhere else? Not judging, just curious!

epcotisbest

OK, so I have a question then. Why pay Disney property prices when you could relax somewhere else? Not judging, just curious!

I don't mind being judged. I am a self-proclaimed tightwad sometimes.
Timeshare. Ours was paid for in cash many, many years ago. And there are maintenance fees, but we pay them whether we go to WDW or exchange somewhere else or stay at our home resort. So, our exchange fee to stay an entire week is less than the majority of people pay for one night's onsite room.
And, we have paid out of pocket for onsite rooms as well, but never-ever rack rates.

Rista1313

I don't mind being judged. I am a self-proclaimed tightwad sometimes.
Timeshare. Ours was paid for in cash many, many years ago. And there are maintenance fees, but we pay them whether we go to WDW or exchange somewhere else or stay at our home resort. So, our exchange fee to stay an entire week is less than the majority of people pay for one night's onsite room.
And, we have paid out of pocket for onsite rooms as well, but never-ever rack rates.

aha! Now I understand.

LeighM

I've noticed that the more often we go, the less time we spend in the parks and more at the resorts. I'm not out of the parks completely yet but we only have 3 full park days scheduled and one after hours event for the 7 days we're there. We're curious now about seeing everything else WDW has to offer. So this trip, we want to go see the horse ranch at Fort Wilderness, play a game of mini golf, rent a boat weather permitting. We spent more time by the pool and hot tub last year and definitely came back home more relaxed than previous trips when it felt like we needed a vacation from our vacation :)

epcotisbest

I've noticed that the more often we go, the less time we spend in the parks and more at the resorts. I'm not out of the parks completely yet but we only have 3 full park days scheduled and one after hours event for the 7 days we're there. We're curious now about seeing everything else WDW has to offer. So this trip, we want to go see the horse ranch at Fort Wilderness, play a game of mini golf, rent a boat weather permitting. We spent more time by the pool and hot tub last year and definitely came back home more relaxed than previous trips when it felt like we needed a vacation from our vacation :)

Yeah! now you're talking. We did the same thing, in that we eased out of the going full blast a little at a time, still having mostly park days, but then slowly adding in more and more resort days until one trip we did not go anywhere near a theme park and we liked it just fine.
Still now, with our mostly resort time trips, we might go one day to MK, or one day to Epcot or AK to break up the week.
So much to see and do and Ft. Wilderness is a good place to spend some nonpark time.

Janir

Now that is something I would not do even if someone paid me to do it. I have to be rested the night before the drive home and even back when we were going full blast, we would leave the parks early for a good night's rest before the drive home the next morning.
Well in our case we swap drivers every 3-4 hours and the other driver sleeps. that last trip I started driving and the wife slept. Then we swapped. My truck is big enough for my wife to layout in the back seat, and I can sleep in the front passenger just fine so as long as we tag out the other driver is ready to take over.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
@Tuvalu did not mean to hijack your trip report. If you ever write another one :joyfull: I'll try not to do it again.
Perfectly ok!
(Although now I'll have to write another TR, just to see if you keep your word. ;))

Miss that place. We try to hit one up whenever we have a chance.
Us too! :hungry:

Ohh!! Can you let me know how it is? I realllllyyyy want to see it but I love penguins and I am very concerned one (or many) will die and I will cry my eyes out :hilarious:
I promise to let you know, without any spoilers. :geek:

amjt660

Premium Member
Well in our case we swap drivers every 3-4 hours and the other driver sleeps. that last trip I started driving and the wife slept. Then we swapped. My truck is big enough for my wife to layout in the back seat, and I can sleep in the front passenger just fine so as long as we tag out the other driver is ready to take over.
I just wanted to chime in that Disney - like many things in life- can be enjoyed at whatever speed you want to
And how you get to and from is totally up to you

No judgement from this guy

You be you

Max

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
I was there in that delay. Was a soggy 5K but had fun anyway once we were out on the course.
Loved the trip report! Me, wife, daughter and 2 grand kids (5 & almost 3 and their first visit) were there about the same time as you guys were. Weather was mostly good and had a great time. Glad to see y'all did as well.
Kudos to you for conquering the soggy 5K! Glad you had a fun family vacation. Thanks for reading. :bookworm:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Day Two

This was the morning my excitement over having a large, beautiful bathroom turned to frustration. Only one electrical outlet and it’s DEAD??! Not a fun thing to discover post-shower with wet hair. But lesson learned....I will now always check a bathroom outlet upon arrival!

After an in-room breakfast we faced a mob at the bus stop. Clearly there hadn’t been a MK bus in awhile. The intern wasn’t helping the situation; she just looked overwhelmed. We waited in the chaos and got on the 2nd MK bus, which arrived moments after the first MK bus pulled away. Amazingly we made it into the park at 9:05 am.

We stopped to watch the Dapper Dans on Main Street. After their first song, they invited a gentleman up to join them. He and his wife were celebrating their 26th anniversary, which was noted on their shirts. The Dapper Dans explained they were going to include the husband in singing a song to his wife. At first I thought this was a prearranged gift for the wife, but when it was over I could tell it was an impromptu song that the talented Dans had used as a magical moment for the couple.

331921FA-B5A0-4DA2-B641-2F1F01C6D51B.jpeg

Another reason I ❤ Disney.

It was cloudy and cool morning and never warmed up throughout the day. And despite the large POFQ crowd headed to MK, the park did not get busy until early afternoon . We successfully tackled six attractions (only two using FPs) before our Liberty Tree Tavern lunch.

D4CD4E1E-37A1-45D7-B8A7-220F40C76450.jpeg

7870AD6A-C36A-4774-B95E-E2F283288B7A.jpeg

LTT has until summer to return Ooey Gooey Cake to its former glory. We have an upcoming reservation to give it one more chance.....

Visited IASW before exiting the park. Woody and Em had calls to make requiring a return to POFQ. Had it been nicer weather I would have lounged by the pool, but instead hung out in the room. Two maintenance workers (for a total of 3) were in and out to repair the bathroom outlet.

Disney Springs is never a must-do for us, but we always make a visit when we can get there via boat. It is such a pretty ride and typically relaxing....that is until Jim, our Captain, hit the dock while pulling in.

“WHOA, JIM!” a passenger in the back cried out.

Our boat erupted in laughter. Jim was obviously embarrassed.

After a cheap and yummy dinner at Earl Of Sandwich we shopped. Or attempted to shop. There were SO MANY PEOPLE which made the experience very stressful. Both World of Disney and Uniqlo were chaotic. I don’t know how security in those two particular stores can manage shoplifting. Most people, however, are just wandering around outdoors, not paying attention to anyone but themselves. Getting constantly bumped into is not a pleasant way to spend an evening.

But Em was happy with her purchases from Vera Bradley. Dinner was good. The Disney Springs visit was not for naught.

Day Three coming up!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom