Trip Report I Will Survive.....Spring Break (with a hint of May) *COMPLETED*

At first I was afraid, I was petrified
Kept thinking I could never live among the Spring Break crowds
But then I spent so many nights thinking how I could be wrong
And I grew strong
And I knew I could get along....

Well that’s what I’m hoping for anyway. I’m not a newbie when it comes to navigating Spring Break at WDW. I’ve got a couple decades of experience under my belt. “Spring Break” isn’t a single week of cray cray crowds (like the week between Christmas and New Years) but is spread over March and April. Unfortunately one (or more) of those weeks can end up being cray cray....and these days, there is no way to predict which one.

Please don’t let it be this week.

But we are prepared. ADRs at 180 days. FPs at 60 days. Clothing for rain or shine. (Praying for shine ~ we’ve had enough rain over the last 4 months to set an ark afloat.) And attitudes willing to “go with the flow.” 🐢

My goal is to keep the updates live. Should I fail? There’s always Part “Tu”.

Who: Tuvalu, Woody and Em (the teacher whose schedule dictates when we go)
When: Sunday, March 31 - Sunday, April 7, 2019
Where: Port Orleans French Quarter
Why: Let’s hope we don’t ask ourselves this!
How: We’ve done the plane, can’t take the train....so it must be the automobile!

Will we be smiling at the end of the week? Stay tuned.

And if you don’t hang around for the smiles, you may want to peek in and see if there are any WDWMagic meet ups. I know of at least three forum friends I hope to encounter.

Now it’s off to bed! The alarm is set for zero-dark-thirty.

93boomer

Premium Member
Day Two

This was the morning my excitement over having a large, beautiful bathroom turned to frustration. Only one electrical outlet and it’s DEAD??! Not a fun thing to discover post-shower with wet hair. But lesson learned....I will now always check a bathroom outlet upon arrival!

After an in-room breakfast we faced a mob at the bus stop. Clearly there hadn’t been a MK bus in awhile. The intern wasn’t helping the situation; she just looked overwhelmed. We waited in the chaos and got on the 2nd MK bus, which arrived moments after the first MK bus pulled away. Amazingly we made it into the park at 9:05 am.

We stopped to watch the Dapper Dans on Main Street. After their first song, they invited a gentleman up to join them. He and his wife were celebrating their 26th anniversary, which was noted on their shirts. The Dapper Dans explained they were going to include the husband in singing a song to his wife. At first I thought this was a prearranged gift for the wife, but when it was over I could tell it was an impromptu song that the talented Dans had used as a magical moment for the couple.

View attachment 367353

Another reason I ❤ Disney.

It was cloudy and cool morning and never warmed up throughout the day. And despite the large POFQ crowd headed to MK, the park did not get busy until early afternoon . We successfully tackled six attractions (only two using FPs) before our Liberty Tree Tavern lunch.

View attachment 367354

View attachment 367352

LTT has until summer to return Ooey Gooey Cake to its former glory. We have an upcoming reservation to give it one more chance.....

Visited IASW before exiting the park. Woody and Em had calls to make requiring a return to POFQ. Had it been nicer weather I would have lounged by the pool, but instead hung out in the room. Two maintenance workers (for a total of 3) were in and out to repair the bathroom outlet.

Disney Springs is never a must-do for us, but we always make a visit when we can get there via boat. It is such a pretty ride and typically relaxing....that is until Jim, our Captain, hit the dock while pulling in.

“WHOA, JIM!” a passenger in the back cried out.

Our boat erupted in laughter. Jim was obviously embarrassed.

After a cheap and yummy dinner at Earl Of Sandwich we shopped. Or attempted to shop. There were SO MANY PEOPLE which made the experience very stressful. Both World of Disney and Uniqlo were chaotic. I don’t know how security in those two particular stores can manage shoplifting. Most people, however, are just wandering around outdoors, not paying attention to anyone but themselves. Getting constantly bumped into is not a pleasant way to spend an evening.

But Em was happy with her purchases from Vera Bradley. Dinner was good. The Disney Springs visit was not for naught.

Day Three coming up!
I think we had her too. She said she needed two of her to run between the two bus stops!😉
DS is ok during the early morning but too many people at night! We ride the boat over, walk through once, and head back. We can’t handle that bottle-neck. The boat ride is relaxing though. DH takes a nap!🤣

c.j.hong

“Marie, the baguettes!”

Kermit’s got them.
View attachment 361883

Miss Piggy’s getting ready for guests.
View attachment 361882

And here they are!

View attachment 361884

View attachment 361885

View attachment 361886

Shhh! Don’t tell Piggy Woody and I had ham for lunch!

View attachment 361879

Note: Em has become the turkey fiend in the family. She had the turkey BLT for lunch.

Woody and I shared the cookie. I am going for the record of How Many Chocolate Chip Cookies can I consume on vacation?

View attachment 361880

When Em finished she left to get herself some dessert. Salted caramel and dark chocolate ice cream from L’Artisan des Glaces.

View attachment 361881

Woody may have helped her finish i
“Marie, the baguettes!”

Kermit’s got them.
View attachment 361883

Miss Piggy’s getting ready for guests.
View attachment 361882

And here they are!

View attachment 361884

View attachment 361885

View attachment 361886

Shhh! Don’t tell Piggy Woody and I had ham for lunch!

View attachment 361879

Note: Em has become the turkey fiend in the family. She had the turkey BLT for lunch.

Woody and I shared the cookie. I am going for the record of How Many Chocolate Chip Cookies can I consume on vacation?

View attachment 361880

When Em finished she left to get herself some dessert. Salted caramel and dark chocolate ice cream from L’Artisan des Glaces.

View attachment 361881

Woody may have helped her finish it.

danyoung56 was right, he is the king of the shorties (I finished his trip report in one sitting) and you are the queen of the long reports (yours took several sittings).

Thank you for sharing. Glad to see the ham/cheese from Epcot(France) with an appearance.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Did the Dapper Dans do « Let me call you sweetheart » with the husband’s participation? It’s what they did once when we were there with my sister and her husband, getting him involved. My BIL is not the type to do this in a crowd so I was really surprised when he agreed and I am so happy that for some reason I immediately started filming it. Days later when we were back at my sister’s and watching the video, he turned to my sister and said « I want you to play this at my funeral ». It was really a lovely moment to share with them.

Darstarr

In the Parks
No
Day Two

This was the morning my excitement over having a large, beautiful bathroom turned to frustration. Only one electrical outlet and it’s DEAD??! Not a fun thing to discover post-shower with wet hair. But lesson learned....I will now always check a bathroom outlet upon arrival!

After an in-room breakfast we faced a mob at the bus stop. Clearly there hadn’t been a MK bus in awhile. The intern wasn’t helping the situation; she just looked overwhelmed. We waited in the chaos and got on the 2nd MK bus, which arrived moments after the first MK bus pulled away. Amazingly we made it into the park at 9:05 am.

We stopped to watch the Dapper Dans on Main Street. After their first song, they invited a gentleman up to join them. He and his wife were celebrating their 26th anniversary, which was noted on their shirts. The Dapper Dans explained they were going to include the husband in singing a song to his wife. At first I thought this was a prearranged gift for the wife, but when it was over I could tell it was an impromptu song that the talented Dans had used as a magical moment for the couple.

View attachment 367353

It was cloudy and cool morning and never warmed up throughout the day. And despite the large POFQ crowd headed to MK, the park did not get busy until early afternoon . We successfully tackled six attractions (only two using FPs) before our Liberty Tree Tavern lunch.

View attachment 367354

View attachment 367352

LTT has until summer to return Ooey Gooey Cake to its former glory. We have an upcoming reservation to give it one more chance.....

Visited IASW before exiting the park. Woody and Em had calls to make requiring a return to POFQ. Had it been nicer weather I would have lounged by the pool, but instead hung out in the room. Two maintenance workers (for a total of 3) were in and out to repair the bathroom outlet.

Disney Springs is never a must-do for us, but we always make a visit when we can get there via boat. It is such a pretty ride and typically relaxing....that is until Jim, our Captain, hit the dock while pulling in.

After a cheap and yummy dinner at Earl Of Sandwich we shopped. Or attempted to shop. There were SO MANY PEOPLE which made the experience very stressful. Both World of Disney and Uniqlo were chaotic. I don’t know how security in those two particular stores can manage shoplifting. Most people, however, are just wandering around outdoors, not paying attention to anyone but themselves. Getting constantly bumped into is not a pleasant way to spend an evening.

But Em was happy with her purchases from Vera Bradley. Dinner was good. The Disney Springs visit was not for naught.

Day Three coming up!

I completely agree about Disney Springs. I used to love DTD but the springs is soooo crowded. It just does not make me happy. When I am not happy I don't spend money. So what is the point? (Except the mandatory Goofy’s run for the boys). 🍭

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
DS is ok during the early morning but too many people at night! We ride the boat over, walk through once, and head back. We can’t handle that bottle-neck. The boat ride is relaxing though. DH takes a nap!🤣
I completely agree about Disney Springs. I used to love DTD but the springs is soooo crowded. It just does not make me happy. When I am not happy I don't spend money. So what is the point? (Except the mandatory Goofy’s run for the boys). 🍭
Glad to see some Magic friends share our sentiment about Disney Springs!
The optimist in me always expects to like it “this time” but “this time” inevitably disappoints.

danyoung56 was right, he is the king of the shorties (I finished his trip report in one sitting) and you are the queen of the long reports (yours took several sittings).

Thank you for sharing. Glad to see the ham/cheese from Epcot(France) with an appearance.
And thank you for persevering through my novels. 😁
Now I am craving a ham sandwich.....

Did the Dapper Dans do « Let me call you sweetheart » with the husband’s participation? It’s what they did once when we were there with my sister and her husband, getting him involved. My BIL is not the type to do this in a crowd so I was really surprised when he agreed and I am so happy that for some reason I immediately started filming it. Days later when we were back at my sister’s and watching the video, he turned to my sister and said « I want you to play this at my funeral ». It was really a lovely moment to share with them.
It was! What a special memory the Dans made for your sister and BIL (and you!)

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
@Doc Disney

View attachment 367410

The movie was both educational and entertaining! Since it is a nature film, there are a few intense moments but you shouldn’t need any Kleenex. It is rated G. 😉🐧😊

FYI: The end credits are as interesting as the movie!

I want to see this movie but Brad is reluctant. I might have to go without him, after all it is @Tuvalu approved!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
I want to see this movie but Brad is reluctant. I might have to go without him, after all it is @Tuvalu approved!
Good to know - I wonder how long it will be in theaters for
If you have local dollar theaters that feature second-run films I would wait awhile. I enjoyed Penguins but the $11 matinee price seemed steep for an hour and 15 minute movie.

Songbird76

Day Two

View attachment 367353

View attachment 367354

View attachment 367352

Day Three coming up!
Did the poor guy actually have to sing? That could totally backfire. No one wants to hear my husband's attempts at warbling...he leaves the singing to me and DD. Sweet that they made a magical moment for the happy couple though.

Songbird76

Glad to see some Magic friends share our sentiment about Disney Springs!
The optimist in me always expects to like it “this time” but “this time” inevitably disappoints.

And thank you for persevering through my novels. 😁
Now I am craving a ham sandwich.....

It was! What a special memory the Dans made for your sister and BIL (and you!)
What time of day was it when you went to DS? On our last trip, I had to go to World of Disney to pick up the giftcard that came with our package and the only thing I remember is how packed and overwhelming it was. I had left the kids with DH to go to the resort and swim while I went to get the giftcard. I got there, and it was crowded, hot, and so stressful. I did not care to stick around and shop. It must have been around lunch time, because I went to Wolfgang Express and got meatloaf, but I just felt rushed the whole time and couldn't wait to get out of there. Then we ended up going back in the early evening once because DD wanted a specific pair of ears that we couldn't find in the parks, and we went to T-REX for dinner, which was kind of fun, but it was so busy, we didn't bother going anywhere else. I'm wondering if there's a good time of day to go or if it's always packed and noisy and blech. DS gets really anxious and cranky in that situation, and I can't say any of us enjoy it. Do you have advice about when to go, or is it just a "skip it altogether" for you?

LadyBelle

In the Parks
No
Are you traveling 85 to 75S? Or 95 down the coast?
Our 7-8 hours factors in two stops: restroom and meal/fuel. And the inevitable traffic slowdown somewhere.

We live very close to 95, so we'll be headed down that way. With probably a couple additional stops, as we will have 2 kids & 5 adults in 2 cars. Maybe a lunch stop somewhere in GA.

disneyworlddad

We live very close to 95, so we'll be headed down that way. With probably a couple additional stops, as we will have 2 kids & 5 adults in 2 cars. Maybe a lunch stop somewhere in GA.

You may hit some traffice around Jacksonville. Turn on 104.5 to get good traffic updates or be using a gps direction app. Consider taking 295 east back to 95. Shorter and quicker depending on time of day and accidents. Otherwise in FL you shouldn't hit any real traffic until Orlando. They are doing some construction around Daytona Beach but it isn't bad.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Did the poor guy actually have to sing? That could totally backfire.
His part was to simply sing the word "You" whenever the Dapper Dans paused. He was given specific instructions before the song began. It was harmless! ;)

What time of day was it when you went to DS? I'm wondering if there's a good time of day to go or if it's always packed and noisy and blech. Do you have advice about when to go, or is it just a "skip it altogether" for you?
We got there between 6-6:30 pm and left around 8:45 pm. We've been during the afternoon and have found crowds to be about the same.....packed and noisy and blech. :joyfull: Can't speak for mornings because we would never give up a morning at the parks (or at the pool) to go there. Unless we have a hankering for a certain restaurant, DS is usually a skip for us.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Day Three

If you picture the perfect Spring Break day in Florida ~ sunny, warm, slight tropical breeze ~ today was NOT that day. Cloudy, cool, windy ~ followed by rain ~ is never pictured in tourism brochures! Thankfully we’d packed proper attire to keep us comfortable in less-than-ideal conditions.

After breakfast in a very busy food court, we set out for Disney’s Hollywood Studios. We intentionally chose to take a bus (rather than drive) in order to check out the new bus depot. The area is a huge improvement. All the bus stops are now covered for protection from the elements and a restroom is conveniently nearby. There were extra security screeners at the entrance, making park entry a breeze.

Visited Andy’s backyard first.

F3DC51A5-EEFD-4722-9B12-A651F8D495EE.jpeg

I just love all the bold primary colors used throughout the Land.

99B102F2-9E66-4FC5-871C-8BB69CA246C1.jpeg

Em tried to take a candid shot of me but I was quick to pose!
211AFB6E-090D-4F59-B349-EB1D60281EF6.jpeg

We used our FP for Saucers but had no interest in waiting 90 minutes for Slinky Dog....especially with a threat of rain. I imagine there were a lot of unhappy line dwellers later when the rain started and the ride shut down.

I waited while Woody and Em fastpassed Rock ‘n Rollercoaster. As soon as they exited, the rain began. We popped open our umbrellas and went to check out Lightning McQueen’s Racing Academy.

D20991CC-497C-4416-A890-8BE241DDA87F.jpeg

This short show packs a lot in ~ trivia questions for the audience, a song from Mater, Lightning’s backstory and simulator training for a big race. The animatronic Lightning is quite impressive.

AA87E99E-82C5-4440-9E36-6E1547B009C6.jpeg

We treated ourselves to a deep dish chocolate chip cookie before lunching at ABC Commissary (not our first choice, but the only option with indoor seating to get out of the rain.) Did Muppets next and as we left the theater we overhead a conversation between a little boy and his father.

Boy: “Where are we going to eat, Daddy?”
Father: “The Brown Derby. It’s a nice place where you can get some vegetables.”

Yup, I’m sure the lad could hardly contain his excitement knowing he was about to eat some vegetables in a nice restaurant!

We walked over to Sunset Blvd. Had we been able to ride Tower of Terror during our original FP time....before lunch.....I would have joined Woody and Em on that elevator. But I was starting to feel a bit “off” and passed. We returned to POFQ for rest (and Em’s interviews) but instead of “resting” I was busily trip reporting and tending to other things. Had I napped, I may have felt well enough to join Woody and Em for dinner at Yachtsman Steakhouse. So instead I napped after they’d gone and had to settle for food from the food court.

This was my least favorite day of our trip. Thankfully tomorrow would be much better!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom