I want more Pirates, dammit

Kamikaze

Disneyland does pirates marginally better. In addition to the ride being longer, there's the Blue Bayou restaurant (not really pirate-themed, as such, but co-located with the ride), they have a walking pirate music troop that performs in Liberty Square, and Tom Sawyer's Island is mostly pirate themed. Still, only one smallish pirate gift shop.

Disney really needs to invite this German band to a residency in one of the parks too:

Or at least hire them to perform on the soundtrack of the next pirates movie.

Marginally?

Brer Panther

How about keeping Jack in the ride and just changing the dialogue so that the other pirates aren't mentioning him every five seconds? Have the plot be "the pirates want the treasure, but they don't know that Jack's there, and he wants the treasure too!" and have the pirate by the barrel bragging about how he has a map and nobody else does, unaware that Jack's right there ain't that funny? Seems like a good compromise to me.

I dunno, I'm not super comfortable with Jack being removed from the ride altogether. Hasn't Johnny Depp suffered enough as is?

Magenta Panther

Original Poster
~~~Ye come seekin’ (*MORE*) adventure and salty old pirates, eh? Sure, you come to the proper place.~~~

indeed!!

............. you're right; MK offers not just the very least but lowest quality as well among the 5 Pirates of the Caribbean suppliers.

Disneyland Anaheim, Paris, Shanghai and Tokyo do it bigger and/or better leaving WDW folk deprived.

True. And not just in regard to Pirates. Shanghai has an incredible new Pirates ride AND a great update of Peter Pan's Flight. And Tokyo...that Beauty and the Beast/area ride looks incredible. I'd trade that for dippy flash-in-the-pan Pandora and played-out/desecrated Star Wars crap any day...

Magenta Panther

Original Poster
How about keeping Jack in the ride and just changing the dialogue so that the other pirates aren't mentioning him every five seconds? Have the plot be "the pirates want the treasure, but they don't know that Jack's there, and he wants the treasure too!" and have the pirate by the barrel bragging about how he has a map and nobody else does, unaware that Jack's right there ain't that funny? Seems like a good compromise to me.

I dunno, I'm not super comfortable with Jack being removed from the ride altogether. Hasn't Johnny Depp suffered enough as is?

I feel pretty much the same way. I'd keep the Jack AAs that are skulking around, but I'd change the last scene to something else, perhaps the original scene that existed before the movies premiered.

Magenta Panther

Original Poster
a concept that would never work today... not counting ADA... but crowds are so much bigger now that you wouldnt even be able to get near it for quite a bit (heck the treehouse is more crowded than it ever should have been) the idea of kids running around and playing on the ship sadly is in the past. I ordered disneyland in 3D i cant wait to see all of these early disneyland days in 3d pics when the book arrives.

I have a friend who remembers that restaurant, and he liked it overall, but he said it REEKED of tuna fish, and, if you ate there, YOU'D reek of tuna fish...

Magenta Panther

Original Poster
I am on board. Right across from PotC is the seldom open Tortuga Tavern thats nicely pirate themed. They should look at changing that into a better place to dine with a tastier menu instead of a seasonal stop over for QS.

Yes, Tortuga Tavern! Which was never open in any of my visits at WDW. Didn't look like much anyway. But build it up, make it look like the Black Pearl inside and out, add cast members who perform as pirates and wenches...it'd be enormously popular. We can dream...

champdisney

I distinctly remember WDW cramming Pirates stuff all throughout the resort, run in the same way they currently do for Frozen and Star Wars. When was this... 12-13 some years ago, back when it’s film franchise was in its heyday. Not going to lie, it really did get annoying after a while.

Then there was the Pirates and Princess Parties. Remember those? Point being, not so long ago WDW milked the living daylights out of PotC. We demanded enough of it. They stopped just in time (either before or after) the Lucasfilm buyout. Fast forwarding to today, we miss it.

And this is exactly what Disney is currently doing with Star Wars, with no signs of stopping. Forget Iger promising a ‘slow-down’. That man is a liar.

thomas998

I wouldn't mind seeing POTC get a little darker with more pirates and pirate activities. The removal the mermaid bones, pretty much the completely empty first scene after the pirate ship battle, and the changing of the auction really leave the attraction lost for me. The song and smell save it because I remember how it was. Right now it's caught between kiddo and teen/young adult appropriate. A child's ride targeting older kids and young adults. I don't think it works. I think they should choose a direction, my preference the latter. Add more pirates to the first scene instead of animals chasing each other. Make the pirates a little scarier, and overall a little more authentic. Darker, scarier
The decline is just another one you can chalk up to the woke movement to insure everything is politically correct and sanitized to the point that you might as well have no ride at all. I'm just waiting until the movement carries on to Small World which seems rife with racial and ethnic stereotypes that the woke folks hate.

thomas998

I distinctly remember WDW cramming Pirates stuff all throughout the resort, run in the same way they currently do for Frozen and Star Wars. When was this... 12-13 some years ago, back when it’s film franchise was in its heyday. Not going to lie, it really did get annoying after a while.

Then there was the Pirates and Princess Parties. Remember those? Point being, not so long ago WDW milked the living daylights out of PotC. We demanded enough of it. They stopped just in time (either before or after) the Lucasfilm buyout. Fast forwarding to today, we miss it.

And this is exactly what Disney is currently doing with Star Wars, with no signs of stopping. Forget Iger promising a ‘slow-down’. That man is a liar.
We did the Pirates and Princess Parties more than once... and during that time you also had pirate cruises at some of the resorts where the kids could be dropped off for a few hours of treasure hunting. However to be fair, the pirate push in those days didn't go as far as the Star Wars has gone this time. They didn't really expand the pirates presence as much as they did some temporary overlays of existing buildings which would then vanish by the time the summer season opened.

John park hopper

Disney here is a simple solution to the PC crowd who want to sanitize everything --If you are offended wear this and leave the rest of us alone
th.jpeg

ppete1975

Wasn't that Hollywood studios thing really just a test of some of the tech for Shanghai mixed with some movie promotion?

You can still climb over a pirate ship at Disneyland Paris.
What is attendance compared to land and world? Also the bigger issue is us as americans are kind of rude (born raised american), i can see people just staying up their to get the perfect insta gram pic for way too long or just chilling. The original was just a free for all for kids to play on top of, I just dont see todays world or land crowd being able to make it work. Now i think it would be amazing if they built it for a quick service (not tuna) and maybe letting the cast members pick people to go up on top like a special thing, or make it where the top isnt built for people. IF you look at pics of it... you can tell it couldnt hold a ton of people (maybe 30 at a time), i might be in the minority, but built like it was, is the type of attraction that wouldnt work today with the crowds and culture (instagram, bloggers etc)
1950sKTPBK_Red_N02B.jpg

ppete1975

pirates of the Caribbean movie vs pirates of the Caribbean marc davis is totally different. I dont want more Jack Sparrow... and wish all of that was removed. But id love more of a immersive marc davis style area, if nothing else just the buildings and pirates walking around, parrots yelling at you. Im envisioning a small portion of harry potter land (immersiveness)... as soon as you get past the old area it opens up into pirate land. I think Pirates (esp if you combine peter pan and a skull rock and boats) and haunted mansion are 2 rides that could have an entire area built around them (their own land) It will never happen though.

Heppenheimer

Another pirates moment not mentioned yet... the use of the Columbia during Fantasmic (I've only seen the Disneyland show, so my apologies if nothing similar exists in the Disney World version). My wife is a huge Pirates fan, and I don't think I've ever seen anything like the look of wonder on her face when the ship suddenly appeared out of the fog during that show.

ppete1975

Another pirates moment not mentioned yet... the use of the Columbia during Fantasmic (I've only seen the Disneyland show, so my apologies if nothing similar exists in the Disney World version). My wife is a huge Pirates fan, and I don't think I've ever seen anything like the look of wonder on her face when the ship suddenly appeared out of the fog during that show.
i really need to watch that on youtube one night

JIMINYCR

Yes, Tortuga Tavern! Which was never open in any of my visits at WDW. Didn't look like much anyway. But build it up, make it look like the Black Pearl inside and out, add cast members who perform as pirates and wenches...it'd be enormously popular. We can dream...
We got to eat there only twice, all other trips it was closed down. The burrito plate I had on one trip was tasty. Dont remember what I had the other time. Such a waste of space when guests are looking for some place to dine and the lines are long everywhere else. There could be great possibilities.

britdaw

I'd love to see more PoTC love in the parks. The ride has always been one of my favorites, and I love the first two movies as well (haven't seen the others).
Wasn't there talk of of building a big PoTC-themed water park area at one time? Or did I dream that?

champdisney

However to be fair, the pirate push in those days didn't go as far as the Star Wars has gone this time. They didn't really expand the pirates presence as much as they did some temporary overlays of existing buildings which would then vanish by the time the summer season opened.

Pirates merch was everywhere. Including areas in which it looked extremely tacky... ahem... kiosks at EPCOT’s Future World. As for temporary overlays... don’t forget World of Disney! A few years back, World of Disney had a full on Pirates overlay in the boys section of the store (where you would enter through the Spittin’ Stitch). That lasted for several years and it was a cool exhibit. As years went by, I began to get the same vibe as I would entering into one of those seasonal Spirit - Halloween stores.

pirates of the Caribbean movie vs pirates of the Caribbean marc davis is totally different. I dont want more Jack Sparrow... and wish all of that was removed. But id love more of a immersive marc davis style area, if nothing else just the buildings and pirates walking around, parrots yelling at you. Im envisioning a small portion of harry potter land (immersiveness)... as soon as you get past the old area it opens up into pirate land. I think Pirates (esp if you combine peter pan and a skull rock and boats) and haunted mansion are 2 rides that could have an entire area built around them (their own land) It will never happen though.

That would be cool. I would start by introducing an animated or live-action series for Disney+. Regardless if it’s in live-action, CG or traditional hand drawn animation, I would get it done in the Marc Davis style. They also wouldn’t have to disregard the entire film franchise either. It could be set within the same universe, just placed somewhere else on the map. A village more akin to the attraction itself.

The interesting part will come when Disney realizes that the vast majority chooses the show over the Capt. Sparrow installments. The company will have to play catch up to meet consumer demand AND that will be when you’ll most likely see the changes. It’ll be another Mandalorian situation.

Wasn't there talk of of building a big PoTC-themed water park area at one time? Or did I dream that?

I heard rumors of a PotC Waterpark for the Homestead, FL area. The talks ended when Hurricane Katrina hit and did it’s damage. I don’t know the validity of that old rumor as I’ve searched countless times online and found nothing. Towns, in general come up with crazy ideas all the time to get people talkin’.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom