I want more Pirates, dammit

ppete1975

Pirates merch was everywhere. Including areas in which it looked extremely tacky... ahem... kiosks at EPCOT’s Future World. As for temporary overlays... don’t forget World of Disney! A few years back, World of Disney had a full on Pirates overlay in the boys section of the store (where you would enter through the Spittin’ Stitch). That lasted for several years and it was a cool exhibit. As years went by, I began to get the same vibe as I would entering into one of those seasonal Spirit - Halloween stores.

That would be cool. I would start by introducing an animated or live-action series for Disney+. Regardless if it’s in live-action, CG or traditional hand drawn animation, I would get it done in the Marc Davis style. They also wouldn’t have to disregard the entire film franchise either. It could be set within the same universe, just placed somewhere else on the map. A village more akin to the attraction itself.

The interesting part will come when Disney realizes that the vast majority chooses the show over the Capt. Sparrow installments. The company will have to play catch up to meet consumer demand AND that will be when you’ll most likely see the changes. It’ll be another Mandalorian situation.

I heard rumors of a PotC Waterpark for the Homestead, FL area. The talks ended when Hurricane Katrina hit and did it’s damage. I don’t know the validity of that old rumor as I’ve searched countless times online and found nothing. Towns, in general come up with crazy ideas all the time to get people talkin’.
Yeah my issue isn’t totally jack sparrow, more the shoe horning of him into the ride which kind of changed the story. Im concerned for jungle cruise. Im a huge dwayne johnson fan but i dont want to see him added to the ride.. although im afraid the pc police may want a change soon.

rreading

I feel like the pirates changes have been like the water slowly warming up until you realize that you're being cooked. They added Jack. Not great at all, but I didn't really mind. Then the mist screen. Then the mermaid effects. Then the flash for the photos. Then the redhead travesty. As much as the mist and the mermaid were not ideal, their removal has left the *still excellent* Pirate's ship, a remnant of Carlos don't be a cheecken, the women chasing the guys, the pussycat and pig scenes then the Yo-ho fire scene and the dog. I didn't realize how much the ride needed a real scene, and the redhead auction provided it. Now there is a big gaping stupid hole in the middle of the ride with bemused smiles along the ride. I still enjoy it, but pretty marginally this last visit. They need a fix. I would give it a B-/C+ at this point.

ppete1975

the women chasing the guys,
about that......
1598299342117.png

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
X Atencio had no idea. Boy Scouts of the Caribbean indeed. Gets worse and worse with each update. I can only imagine how he'd have reacted to the Depp overlay and the silliness of the "new and improved" auction scene.
Yeah my issue isn’t totally jack sparrow, more the shoe horning of him into the ride which kind of changed the story. Im concerned for jungle cruise. Im a huge dwayne johnson fan but i dont want to see him added to the ride.. although im afraid the pc police may want a change soon.

This! Once Jack Sparrow was added to the attraction it became "Jack Sparrow of the Caribbean" It takes one complete out of the experience. It's no longer passive because we actively seek Jack. ( intentional or otherwise) There he is! And he found the treasure. Yay! And now we have this Redd character. The next great overlay! Will it become her attraction soon? (There's a movie in the works) Keep a weather eye on the horizon?

Shame they won't revert it back to "Pirates" of the Caribbean, with them doing you know, yo ho, pirate-life things.

Re: Dwayne Johnson. Exactly! This is my concern as well. Skipper Frank's Jungle Cruise Adventure featuring more Rock puns! Ugh.

Last edited:

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
I’ve got a theory that they will continue to chip away at individual things until all the Pirates are holding hands and singing “We Are the World.” Then, in about twenty years the future children of the current generation will be outraged that the ride was whitewashed to ignore the greed, gluttony, violence, and ill-treatment of women in the real pirate age and the progressive thing will be that we’ll get a gritty reboot that’s not unlike the cautionary-tale scene progression of original ride. Thus, the intentions of those sanitizing the ride ultimately going too far to the point it causes it to come full circle back to what the pc crowd originally criticized Disney for portraying in the first place. 😜

Last edited:

DoleWhipDrea

Loving this thread ^_^

But id love more of a immersive marc davis style area, if nothing else just the buildings and pirates walking around, parrots yelling at you. Im envisioning a small portion of harry potter land (immersiveness)... as soon as you get past the old area it opens up into pirate land. I think Pirates (esp if you combine peter pan and a skull rock and boats) and haunted mansion are 2 rides that could have an entire area built around them (their own land) It will never happen though.

They kind of went in this direction in Adventureland at Disneyland Paris (although adding some of your armchair imagineering here would truly bring it to its true glory!) Heading towards PotC, you really trek through some really fantastic pirates theming. It’s truly immersive and beautiful - as a big fan of PotC, I really felt transported into that world even before entering the queue! Tony Baxter and the rest of WDI really did an excellent job there.

I'd love to see more PoTC love in the parks. The ride has always been one of my favorites, and I love the first two movies as well (haven't seen the others).
Wasn't there talk of of building a big PoTC-themed water park area at one time? Or did I dream that?
I heard rumors of a PotC Waterpark for the Homestead, FL area. The talks ended when Hurricane Katrina hit and did it’s damage. I don’t know the validity of that old rumor as I’ve searched countless times online and found nothing. Towns, in general come up with crazy ideas all the time to get people talkin’.

The only thing I remember seeing was this Jim Hill piece talking about it when it was still very Blue Sky, but there’s at least a proof of concept that looks really cool. http://jimhillmedia.com/editor_in_chief1/b/jim_hill/archive/2005/01/06/522.aspx

Magic Kingdom’s version of Pirates of the Caribbean is the least entertaining and exciting, and the changes over the years certainly haven’t helped it. The ride was rushed to be built and almost 50 years later it still absolutely shows. MK’s doesn’t hold a candle to the original at Disneyland. It’s an attraction the public wanted and Disney has had all the time in the world to plus it up, but they haven’t done it. It’s something that I’ll never understand.

One of the most (literally) glaring problems is the on-ride photo. Let’s blind guests when the ride has barely even begun! The facial expressions on guests for a cheap gimmick in turn cheapens the ride.

I really, really wish Disney would give this attraction the refurbishment and plussing it deserves. People still love pirates and the genre.

I agree with the sentiment that Johnny has suffered enough. I’m still hoping that Disney will do just one more film to wrap up the stories of the original trio (there was a tag at the end of 5 that left it open), thoughh that doesn’t appear to be on Disney’s radar at the moment. In any case, I still really like Jack Sparrow. I just agree with others here that the ride shouldn’t have been turned into a “where’s Jack?” narrative.

Expand the cave scenes. Use more of the audio tracks from Disneyland there (more mysterious and fun.) Bring back the pirate barker bird! Re-write the auction scene to give the characters better dialogue. I’m glad certain changes were made and like Redd (she’s the embodiment of a few characters Marc Davis had originally planned for the attraction but they never made it in, and brings the character of the Redhead full circle), she just needs better dialogue. And with the refurbishment and whatever new Pirates film tie-ins that are coming with the 2 new flicks in development, use that tie-in to plus the area around PotC and make it a pirate paradise!

ppete1975

They kind of went in this direction in Adventureland at Disneyland Paris (although adding some of your armchair imagineering here would truly bring it to its true glory!) Heading towards PotC, you really trek through some really fantastic pirates theming. It’s truly immersive and beautiful - as a big fan of PotC, I really felt transported into that world even before entering the queue! Tony Baxter and the rest of WDI really did an excellent job there.
totally agree, ive seen tons of videos (justin scarred etc), and its so amazing esp the cave system, i think paris really gets the "park" aspect perfect.. and the get huge points cause they love wall-e

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Apparently a pirate animatronic was angled at about 75 degrees to which the attraction had to close down.

it was operating at around 4-Ish today when I rode It. Only problem I saw Was the last jack sparrow AA looked a bit wonky.

Goofnut1980

I feel the same way about Haunted Mansion. All we have is the attraction and tiny little Memento Mori (it has to be the smallest attraction gift shop on property).
Not to mention. That gift shop has lost its unique merch. It’s just the same as you can get in every other store.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom