I successfully stoped a group of line cutters!!!

tizzo

Wikipedia is not always the best resource for accurate information. They go to great lengths to preserve the integrity of the site and the information that's posted on it, but I have seen inaccuracies on it. The description you're citing is not entirely accurate. It leaves out the intent to affect the other person in some way. So going back to my earlier example of giving someone the silent treatment (which is generally a classic example of passive aggressive behavior), then intent is usually to "make the other person feel guilty" or to frustrate or even manipulate the other person. That's the "aggressive" part. The "passive" part is in the individual's indirect approach. Sometimes people take a "time out" from an argument. That's not being passive aggressive. That's just allowing time to cool off. Likewise, if I go to a theme park and notice that people are cutting in line in front of me, but I don't care, then I'm neither being passive nor aggressive. If I do let it bother me, but I don't do anything about it, I'm being passive. If I let it bother me, and decide the way to handle it is to just block their path without looking at them or communicating with them in any way, then I'm being passive aggressive. I hope that helps.

It does, thanks. If you don't mind my asking, are you a pro of some kind? (If you do mind, feel free to just not answer, I won't be offended).

Ziffell

When wait times are 30mins., 45 mins., or over an hour long, then people cutting lines, esp. groups, do affect my time and ability to get to all the attractions.

Sorry but that just doesn't seem to add up. On a ride with a 30 minute, 45 minute, or 60 minute wait, there would have to be a LOT of people cutting in front of you for it to make a noticeable difference in your ability to see all the attractions you want. I think the problem is that you're going at peak time. Whether or not you have people cutting in front of you, you're not likely to see everything you want. I think you are attributing the problem to the wrong thing.

What it really comes down to is common courtesy. Wait your turn. Why is that such a hard concept to grasp?

It's not a difficult concept at all for ME to grasp. I'm not defending line cutters. I'm just saying that I don't believe it's as pervasive a problem as people are making it out to be. And I certainly don't think it's something that is worth getting upset about while on vacation.

I'm interested, do you live in Florida where you can make multiple trips. Because I know the only way I could be as laid back is if I can make multiple trips or go during a slow season where wait times don't matter.

No I live in California. I will be going in a few weeks and it will be my first trip in two years. I, too, wish that I could go as often as I want and during the time of year that I would like. But I, like you, do not have that luxury. If anything, that's all the more reason to NOT let trivial things like the occasional line cutting get to me. If I'm on vacation, I want to enjoy myself and have a good time... especially if its a vacation that I've looked forward to, saved up for, and don't get to do very often. It's sad that those very elements are what drives you to be MORE upset about it. That just seems backwards to me.

Ziffell

It does, thanks. If you don't mind my asking, are you a pro of some kind? (If you do mind, feel free to just not answer, I won't be offended).

No I don't mind. I'm a corporate trainer. My specialties are leadership development, interpersonal communication skills and guest service. I teach classes on emotional intelligence among other topics. I also am a certified diversity trainer (which is why I also possess some expertise on what does and does not perpetuate discrimination, racism and prejudice). And I teach classes on compliance topics such as alcohol awareness and sexual harassment. Technically I suppose that makes me a "pro" since I do get paid for it, and that fits the definition.

sunsetgrill

Great job on stopping the line cutters. Bottom line is that it's a lack of courtesy & respect. No one likes this treatment, especially when on vacation.

Tater48

Seriously?? I mean, really, it's happening THAT often? You don't think maybe you're exaggerating just a bit? You really believe that in any given day, you're cut in front of so many times that the time is going to add up to you missing multiple attractions (or even one for that matter) as a direct result of it? Sorry, but I just find that very hard to swallow.

Even 1 time is too many.

GoofyFan1

Ok Ziffell....UNCLE

You are right, it's because I go at peak season, gee if only I had figured that out before I started reading about the live and let live dribble.

As far as your belief that line jumping isn't a problem, you haven't been to WDW in a couple of years. How do you judge what is happening now and question whether we are exagerating. It's all a matter of personal perception. And it is a popular topic. Are we all lying?

Diversity means you accept that others are different or have a different opinion. It doesn't mean brow beat them, or belittle them, until they see everything your way.

PeoplemoverTTA

Teens just getting out of Captain EO should meet their friends at the end of the line for Soarin'. In this case it's about getting in front of people by sending your friends on into the line for you.

In all fairness, it's not just teenagers who cut (but add me to the list of people who've had a group of tour group folks just swoop in en masse and butt everyone out of the line...numerous times...I hate to say it, but it's happened to me numerous times)..I've stood my ground for adults several times. One time in particular, two adults (I'd say 40ish) tried swooping under the ropes in the external (it was summer, so very busy) queue for PoTC a few summers ago. When I saw the gentlemen cut, I politely told them that the end of the line was over there, and we were all waiting too. They became very loud and rude, but when other people stared them down too, moved to the end of the line.

If more people would speak up and call people out on this, there would be less of it. It's just that people don't want to "bother." Not everything has to be an altercation, but there's nothing wrong with politely pointing out the indiscretion and moving on with life...hopefully, it'll dissuade folks from trying it again.

NedLand

Ok Ziffell....UNCLE

You are right, it's because I go at peak season, gee if only I had figured that out before I started reading about the live and let live dribble.

Even though you may believe, because it trully does further your cause, that people can think through their emotions and let rudeness be, I was not brought up that way. As a person that teaches diversity, you should accept that and not think it backward.

As far as your belief that line jumping isn't a problem, you haven't beesn to WDW in a couple of years. how do you judge what is happening now and question whether we are exagerating. It's all a matter of personal perception.

Diversity means you accept that others are different or have a different opinion. It doesn't mean brow beat them, or belittle them until they see everything your way.

I saw no brow beating or belittling of any kind. All Ziffell did was clarify his position for you. One would think a teacher would have a thicker skin.

As for the topic; I have seen very little line jumping in all of my trips. I often go during the off season so that could be a factor. But my ego is not so fragile that anyone cutting in line is going to irk me. The 30 seconds more that I have to wait in line is still 30 seconds in WDW and I’m just grateful I get to be there at all.

That person sneaking in front of you might actually have a legitimate reason that you weren’t aware of, or just wasn’t blessed with the kind of upbringing that teaches courtesy.

Do you really want to let someone have that kind of control over your mood, that it ruins your vacation?

Jimmy Thick

When i was in the queue for Rock 'n' Roller, there was a guy who looked like a bodybuilder, who managed to keep a party of 20-25 from line-jumping to their 5 friends. I had so much respect for that guy =D

* Flex *

Now getting back to this discussion, I, simply put, don't allow anyone to pass me while waiting in line, but if I see small children, I let them pass, my realm of thought would be, that had to go to the bathroom. If you have kids, you understand this.

Jimmy Thick- Yeah, you would walk away too, tough guy.

Ziffell

As far as your belief that line jumping isn't a problem, you haven't been to WDW in a couple of years. How do you judge what is happening now and question whether we are exagerating. It's all a matter of personal perception. And it is a popular topic. Are we all lying?

Actually, I've not stated any "belief that it isn't a problem". I've asked several times IF it's really the widespread problem that people make it out to be. If it is, then things have definitely changed dramatically in the two years since I've been there. I've also stated (more than once in this thread actually) that I have not personally experienced line-cutting, or that if it was going on, that I haven't taken note of it. At no time did I state that anyone was lying about their own experiences. I feel pretty confident that I made that point clear. As a teacher, I would think that you would be more careful to clearly read what others have written. Please tell me this lack of attention to detail, as well as the tendency to read between the lines and draw incorrect conclusions, isn't how you approach grading your students' schoolwork.

Now having said that, am I inclined to believe that people are exaggerating the problem? Probably yes. Take the example you gave: you said that it makes a difference in a line that lasts for 30 to 60 minutes. I'm not sure what subject you teach, but I'm guessing it isn't math. I don't mean that as an insult, but your example weakened your point as opposed to strengthening it, and all it takes is simply doing the math to see that. For example, if the line for a ride is say 10 minutes, then every time someone cuts in front of you it will increase your wait time by anywhere from a few seconds to possibly a minute or more (depending on ride capacity, how often ride vehicles load and depart, etc). Erring on the side of your position, let's say it's a full minute. Well that's just increased your wait time by 10% (or 1/10th the amount of time) on a 10 minute line. But in your example, you said it makes a big difference when the wait time is longer. That makes no sense. It should be the opposite. Again, assuming worst case scenario that one line cut equals one minute, then for a line with a 30-minute wait that would only make 1/30th of a difference. That's a much smaller difference than a line with a shorter wait. So the longer the wait is to begin with, the more people would have to be cutting in front of you for it to make a significant difference. I find it difficult to believe that it could be happening that many times during one single time through a ride queue. But you're stating it happens so much that it has actually added up to you missing out on some rides. Do you not see how your logic really doesn't add up and that it doesn't really make sense? I'm not trying to be argumentative, but again, this just basic math. The numbers don't support what you're trying to say. At the same time, you don't see how the fact that it's peak time at a busy theme park has infinitely more to do with the fact that you can't fit everything in (far more than a few people cutting in front of you here and there)? I mean, seriously it would have to be a massive amount of people doing it constantly throughout the day for it to have anywhere near the effect that it being peak time has. And yes, I do find that challenging to believe.

Diversity means you accept that others are different or have a different opinion. It doesn't mean brow beat them, or belittle them, until they see everything your way.

As stated by another poster, I'm not sure where you are getting "brow beating" out of this. Nevertheless, I am unclear what that has to do with the topic of diversity. Can you clarify?

Ziffell

Even 1 time is too many.

From a moral or ethical standpoint, perhaps. However you were quoting a post of mine in which I was not evaluating the moral implications. I was speaking of the pragmatic effect. From that standpoint, 1 time is just that... 1 time. I was posing the question: Does it happen enough to make a significant difference in someone's ability to have time to see all the attractions they want to see? If you visit a theme park on a peak day, you will likely not get to see everything. This is regardless of whether or not people are cutting in front of you in line. To miss out on seeing certain things, on a peak day, and blame that on the line cutters (and not on the fact that it was a busy day) is not approaching it logically.

UberPlannerMom

The line cutters that burn my derriere are the ones who lie about cutting. You know the ones right? The ones where you say, "wait, you were behind me a second ago" and they immediately get in your face and tell you they have been there for the last hour (nevermind that the line is only 30 minutes long) and you are just a stupid liar.

There is another type of line cutter that bothers me but it is because it turns my stomache. I HATE the people who touch you until you kind of squish yourself into a corner to try and stop being touched which then gives them a space to cut in front of you. I mean, really, do I need to know how endowed some strange man is? I promise I don't! The bad part about it is that often when they do that I snuggle in tight to my hubby and he gets worried people will think it is PDA! Oy!

Ziffell

The line cutters that burn my derriere are the ones who lie about cutting. You know the ones right? The ones where you say, "wait, you were behind me a second ago" and they immediately get in your face and tell you they have been there for the last hour (nevermind that the line is only 30 minutes long) and you are just a stupid liar.

The details of this example seem too specific to be something that has happened more than, say, once. Are you saying you've had this exact scenario play out more than once?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom