Trip Report I know every mile will be worth my while! (A Princess 5K trip report)

Somehow I knew this TR title would reference a song from a Disney movie. I'm a singer after all, and the Disney Renaissance was basically my childhood. A few titles I considered relating to the theme included:

"It's funny how some distance makes everything seem small"
"If I go there's just no telling how far I'll go"
"Come run the hidden pine trails of the forest"
"There ain't nothing gonna stop me now cause I'm almost there"
"We must be swift as a coursing river"

But I went with Hercules for several reasons, not only because I relate to the themes of the song, but because it kept popping up during the trip.

In case you missed my PTR, visit A first, a second, and a third.

Otherwise, continue reading for a journey full of family, fun, and OF COURSE food!

Last edited:

bee

Original Poster
Day 4, cont.

I have to backtrack a bit because I left out something from our time in Tomorrowland. There is a QS snack place called "Cool Ship" that serves mainly beverages; next to it a little building with misters for cooling down, which features the words "Thirst Rangers."

Cool-Ship.jpg

(not my photo obv)

M noticed "Thirst Rangers" and pointed it out to me and we couldn't stop laughing. This is a family-friendly site so I won't elaborate on the meaning but if you don't know there's an easy way to find out. M's parents thought it was funny too but (I suspect) for a different reason.

Back to the story!

We had just left the Emporium and exited the park. A few minutes later we were boarding a resort monorail.

tumblr_p4vbdeib4W1un92rjo7_1280.jpg

Orlando Eye seen from the monorail

Our destination was...the Poly! Specifically, Trader Sam's Tiki Terrace. When we arrived it was PACKED! All the tables were taken and the only space was at the standing tables closest to the main building that don't get wait service. I panicked a little bit and was CERTAIN we wouldn't be able to get a sit-down table. A couple of times we tried to immediately claim tables that other parties were leaving, only to be beaten there by someone quicker. :bawling:

I got on line to order drinks from the bar while still scanning the sit-down tables for any sign of a party leaving. I was next to order when I glanced over and M was waving to me from a table she had claimed, right at the edge closest to the water!

This was our view:

tumblr_p4vbfjOEz21un92rjo1_1280.jpg

Our server, Jenna, greeted us soon and started cleaning up the table. We apologized for being there when the table wasn't clean yet, and she said that's just how things go around there since there is no host-assigned seating. We placed our first drink and food orders and enjoyed the performance of the singer.

tumblr_p4vbfjOEz21un92rjo2_1280.jpg

From L to R:
Mosquito Mojito: Bacardi Dragon Berry Rum, Organic Agave Nectar, Falernum, Mint, and fresh Lime Juice topped with Soda Water (for M)
Tahitian Torch: ByeJoe Dragon Fire Spirit, Tropical Juices, Passion Fruit, and fresh Lime Juice (for me)
Spikey Pineapple: Barbancourt Pango Rhum blended with Pineapple Soft-serve (for MIL)

FIL doesn't drink but was hungry so he had an order of dumplings. He liked them, and we ladies all liked our drinks. The Dragon Fire Spirit is a Chinese liquor infused with fruit and hot chilis, so it had a nice bit of spice to it. MIL had been wanting a Dole Whip so that's basically what she got-but with rum. M likes mojitos and she likes various interpretations of them and she liked this one as well.

The hot day had turned into a pleasant evening and we all enjoyed a relaxing time together. About ten minutes before HEA was scheduled to start, Jenna came back and asked if we wanted to order anything else before the fireworks began. M and I wanted another drink and we were a little hungry too, so we asked if they had any vegetarian appetizers or if anything could be modified (nothing on the menu is vegetarian as-is). She said they could modify the sushi, the tacos, and the lettuce wraps, and we decided on the tacos.

tumblr_p4vbfjOEz21un92rjo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_p4vbfjOEz21un92rjo4_1280.jpg

Ace Pineapple Hard Cider and HippopotoMai-Tai: Coruba Dark Rum, Bacardi Superior Rum, Bols Orange Curaçao, Orgeat (Almond), Organic Agave Nectar, and fresh Lime Juice.

Soon it was time for Happily Ever After! Obviously we couldn't see the castle projections from where we were, but we had a great view of the fireworks and of course the soundtrack was being played in the area.

tumblr_p4vbfjOEz21un92rjo5_1280.jpg

tumblr_p4vbfjOEz21un92rjo6_1280.jpg

tumblr_p4vbfjOEz21un92rjo7_1280.jpg

I was sitting in the chair farthest from the fence and therefore the others at the table were facing away from me. I was glad because I definitely felt the tears welling up and I got to have my little private emotional moment without feeling self-conscious. I loved the use of classic and new Disney movie music, especially "Go the Distance" (I told you it kept popping up in this trip!) and "How Far I'll Go." I had been experiencing some self-doubt and discouragement in my singing career in the months before this trip and I felt like this show was speaking right to me, telling me to keep going and keep working. It was exactly what I needed to hear.

At the end M said, "I think I like this one better than Wishes." I never thought I would feel this way, but so did I! Next time I will make an effort to see the show in the park because I'm sure the castle projections can only make it better, but I didn't feel it was lacking anything without them.

As if the night couldn't get any better, soon Jenna brought our tofu tacos!

tumblr_p4vbfjOEz21un92rjo8_1280.jpg

These were excellent! They were very flavorful and those little red peppers delivered a good amount of spice! We would definitely order these again.

We settled the bill and took the monorail back to Magic Kingdom, then walked to the Coronado bus stop. We literally waited for two minutes and we all got seats on the bus!

Back at the resort we all said "goodnight" and the parents drove back to their hotel. They were leaving Orlando the next morning and they offered to come pick us up and drive us to the Contemporary for our brunch tomorrow so we could all say "goodbye" in the morning. Of course we accepted the offer, and with that we went back up to our room in the Ranchos.

tumblr_p4vbfjOEz21un92rjo9_1280.jpg

Some lost socks by our building o_O

Back in the room, we realized that we were out of coffee pods, creamers, and sugar. This would not do! So I called the front desk to ask for more, and after holding for more than ten minutes (!!!) someone finally answered. The conversation was something like this:

CM: Front desk, this is (name).
Me: Hello, could I please have some coffee pods delivered?
CM: (incredulous) You'd like some coffee...what?
Me: Some coffee pods. For the Keurig machine.
CM: (laughing) OH, PODS! I thought you were asking for more coffee POTS!
Me: (now also laughing) No, just pods! May I also have some creamers and sugar?
CM: Of course! Thanks for the laugh!

About ten minutes later a CM knocked on the door to bring the coffee. All was well...except there were no creamers or sugar. Soooo I called, AGAIN, and was on hold for awhile, AGAIN. This time I did catch the CM's name: Preston. Also, this call must have gone to an overflow center as opposed to someone actually at Coronado, because Preston asked me to verify my resort AND room. Within a few minutes the same CM from before delivered the goods. This time I was prepared with a tip, at least.

With that we called it a night, and went to bed in excited anticipation of our brunch the next day!

Up next: Our last full day ( :cry: ). Brunch, mimosas, and farewell fireworks.

krisri18

Day 4, cont.

I have to backtrack a bit because I left out something from our time in Tomorrowland. There is a QS snack place called "Cool Ship" that serves mainly beverages; next to it a little building with misters for cooling down, which features the words "Thirst Rangers."

Cool-Ship.jpg

(not my photo obv)

M noticed "Thirst Rangers" and pointed it out to me and we couldn't stop laughing. This is a family-friendly site so I won't elaborate on the meaning but if you don't know there's an easy way to find out. M's parents thought it was funny too but (I suspect) for a different reason.

Back to the story!

We had just left the Emporium and exited the park. A few minutes later we were boarding a resort monorail.

Our destination was...the Poly! Specifically, Trader Sam's Tiki Terrace. When we arrived it was PACKED! All the tables were taken and the only space was at the standing tables closest to the main building that don't get wait service. I panicked a little bit and was CERTAIN we wouldn't be able to get a sit-down table. A couple of times we tried to immediately claim tables that other parties were leaving, only to be beaten there by someone quicker. :bawling:

I got on line to order drinks from the bar while still scanning the sit-down tables for any sign of a party leaving. I was next to order when I glanced over and M was waving to me from a table she had claimed, right at the edge closest to the water!

This was our view:

Our server, Jenna, greeted us soon and started cleaning up the table. We apologized for being there when the table wasn't clean yet, and she said that's just how things go around there since there is no host-assigned seating. We placed our first drink and food orders and enjoyed the performance of the singer.

From L to R:
Mosquito Mojito: Bacardi Dragon Berry Rum, Organic Agave Nectar, Falernum, Mint, and fresh Lime Juice topped with Soda Water (for M)
Tahitian Torch: ByeJoe Dragon Fire Spirit, Tropical Juices, Passion Fruit, and fresh Lime Juice (for me)
Spikey Pineapple: Barbancourt Pango Rhum blended with Pineapple Soft-serve (for MIL)

FIL doesn't drink but was hungry so he had an order of dumplings. He liked them, and we ladies all liked our drinks. The Dragon Fire Spirit is a Chinese liquor infused with fruit and hot chilis, so it had a nice bit of spice to it. MIL had been wanting a Dole Whip so that's basically what she got-but with rum. M likes mojitos and she likes various interpretations of them and she liked this one as well.

The hot day had turned into a pleasant evening and we all enjoyed a relaxing time together. About ten minutes before HEA was scheduled to start, Jenna came back and asked if we wanted to order anything else before the fireworks began. M and I wanted another drink and we were a little hungry too, so we asked if they had any vegetarian appetizers or if anything could be modified (nothing on the menu is vegetarian as-is). She said they could modify the sushi, the tacos, and the lettuce wraps, and we decided on the tacos.

Ace Pineapple Hard Cider and HippopotoMai-Tai: Coruba Dark Rum, Bacardi Superior Rum, Bols Orange Curaçao, Orgeat (Almond), Organic Agave Nectar, and fresh Lime Juice.

Soon it was time for Happily Ever After! Obviously we couldn't see the castle projections from where we were, but we had a great view of the fireworks and of course the soundtrack was being played in the area.

I was sitting in the chair farthest from the fence and therefore the others at the table were facing away from me. I was glad because I definitely felt the tears welling up and I got to have my little private emotional moment without feeling self-conscious. I loved the use of classic and new Disney movie music, especially "Go the Distance" (I told you it kept popping up in this trip!) and "How Far I'll Go." I had been experiencing some self-doubt and discouragement in my singing career in the months before this trip and I felt like this show was speaking right to me, telling me to keep going and keep working. It was exactly what I needed to hear.

At the end M said, "I think I like this one better than Wishes." I never thought I would feel this way, but so did I! Next time I will make an effort to see the show in the park because I'm sure the castle projections can only make it better, but I didn't feel it was lacking anything without them.

These were excellent! They were very flavorful and those little red peppers delivered a good amount of spice! We would definitely order these again.

We settled the bill and took the monorail back to Magic Kingdom, then walked to the Coronado bus stop. We literally waited for two minutes and we all got seats on the bus!

Back at the resort we all said "goodnight" and the parents drove back to their hotel. They were leaving Orlando the next morning and they offered to come pick us up and drive us to the Contemporary for our brunch tomorrow so we could all say "goodbye" in the morning. Of course we accepted the offer, and with that we went back up to our room in the Ranchos.

Back in the room, we realized that we were out of coffee pods, creamers, and sugar. This would not do! So I called the front desk to ask for more, and after holding for more than ten minutes (!!!) someone finally answered. The conversation was something like this:

About ten minutes later a CM knocked on the door to bring the coffee. All was well...except there were no creamers or sugar. Soooo I called, AGAIN, and was on hold for awhile, AGAIN. This time I did catch the CM's name: Preston. Also, this call must have gone to an overflow center as opposed to someone actually at Coronado, because Preston asked me to verify my resort AND room. Within a few minutes the same CM from before delivered the goods. This time I was prepared with a tip, at least.

With that we called it a night, and went to bed in excited anticipation of our brunch the next day!

The Spiky Pineapple may very well be my favorite beverage on property! Excellent choice!
And who brings coffee without creamer and sugar? That's just nonsense

susan lees

Day 4, cont.

Cool-Ship.jpg

(not my photo obv)

Back to the story!

This was our view:

From L to R:

I too well up when the fireworks start and it doesn't matter how many times I've seen them. My family love to tease me about this :rolleyes::)

Zipadeelady

I really feel for you and your singing. Watching my daughter doing auditions was wonderful and heartbreaking at the same time. Performers have such passion and it literally sucks that it is such a hard profession. I'll be thinking of you and hoping/praying, if that doesn't bother you, that what you want will happen.

bee

Original Poster
The Spiky Pineapple may very well be my favorite beverage on property! Excellent choice!
And who brings coffee without creamer and sugar? That's just nonsense
My MIL loved it! She doesn’t drink much and was worried it would taste too strong but it was exactly what she wanted.

I too well up when the fireworks start and it doesn't matter how many times I've seen them. My family love to tease me about this :rolleyes::)
Fireworks criers unite!

I really feel for you and your singing. Watching my daughter doing auditions was wonderful and heartbreaking at the same time. Performers have such passion and it literally sucks that it is such a hard profession. I'll be thinking of you and hoping/praying, if that doesn't bother you, that what you want will happen.
Thank you! I will gladly accept all hopes and prayers on my behalf! 😊

This career is so full of ups and downs. There are days when I feel absolutely certain that I’m doing what I’m supposed to be doing with my life, and there are occasional days when I’m like “what the ___ was I thinking??” It’s inevitable in any artistic field, I think, to go through periods of self-doubt. This trip came at just the right time to both a) give me a break when I needed it and b) remind me how lucky I am to make music every day for a living.

Last edited:

MinnieM123

Premium Member

If someone asked me if I'd want a tofu taco, I'd be like . . . :depressed: However, I have to say that the tacos you showed in the photo look positively DELISH!!! Who would have thought that tofu tacos could appear so freaking appetizing??!! :jawdrop: :hungry:

bee

Original Poster
@bee, HEA fireworks stand on their own. The projections are a distraction. And yes ~ better than Wishes!!
Good to know! I guess the way I saw them was just perfect. :)

Coronado Springs looks great. You are working that iPhone camera to it’s full potential.
Thank you! It does best with outdoor shots in daylight. Occasionally I can get a nice photo in the dark if there are some bright lights involved (like some of the night lighting effects at Epcot).

If someone asked me if I'd want a tofu taco, I'd be like . . . :depressed: However, I have to say that the tacos you showed in the photo look positively DELISH!!! Who would have thought that tofu tacos could appear so freaking appetizing??!! :jawdrop::hungry:
Tofu has a reputation for being "bland" but I prefer to think of it as "neutral" and "versatile." It can absorb whatever flavor you want for the dish and, depending on how it's prepared, can provide a textural element as well. It's high in protein, calcium, iron, and other vitamins and minerals, but low in calories. It's a little tricky to prepare when you first start working with it but once you get the hang of it it's easy.

dizfan917

It's amazing the emotions those nighttime shows can pull out of you. We arrived at WDW the day after we closed our production of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame", exhausted and ready for a vacation. We saw HEA on our third day, I think, and there was Quasimodo climbing the bell tower! Kevin and I were both in tears, partly from the toll of the three weekend run and partly from the sheer joy of reliving all the emotions that production brought out in us. It was magical!!

Uh oh... here comes the brunch. I'm excited to hear about it! Well, "excited AND scared!" Kevin is playing the Wolf in INTO THE WOODS currently. :D I hope you liked it...

bee

Original Poster
It's amazing the emotions those nighttime shows can pull out of you. We arrived at WDW the day after we closed our production of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame", exhausted and ready for a vacation. We saw HEA on our third day, I think, and there was Quasimodo climbing the bell tower! Kevin and I were both in tears, partly from the toll of the three weekend run and partly from the sheer joy of reliving all the emotions that production brought out in us. It was magical!!

Uh oh... here comes the brunch. I'm excited to hear about it! Well, "excited AND scared!" Kevin is playing the Wolf in INTO THE WOODS currently. :D I hope you liked it...
Yesss Sondheim reference in the middle of my TR! :D I had to play "I Know Things Now" for a student in a recital last year and it was one of the scariest things I've ever played. Brunch is coming up soon...

Sorry for my bombardment of likes. It's a very entertaining TR to read!
Welcome! I'm glad you are entertained! :joyfull:

bee

Original Poster
Day 5: Sunday, February 25

We actually woke up before our alarms today and took our time getting ready. We enjoyed a few cups of coffee thanks to last night's deliveries.

Our brunch was scheduled for 12:05, and the parents arrived to pick us up around 11:00. Together we all drove to the Contemporary Resort and parked so they could come in for a bathroom stop and last-minute hugs. We all "ooh"ed and "aah"ed at the resort and MIL declared that the CR lobby has "the best smell ever!" We talked summer travel plans and we are hoping they will be able to come visit us this summer while FIL is off from school. We all hugged and said our goodbyes, and took a couple of family selfies. :)

After they left, we still had about 40 minutes until our brunch time. We didn't want to check in way too early, so M and I headed upstairs to visit Bay View Gifts and the other stores on the fourth floor.

tumblr_p4vbhaT4Bp1un92rjo1_1280.jpg

Not satisfied with just the bay view from Bay View (ha), we headed out on the fourth floor observation deck.

tumblr_p4vbhaT4Bp1un92rjo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_p4vbhaT4Bp1un92rjo4_1280.jpg

tumblr_p4vbhaT4Bp1un92rjo5_1280.jpg

tumblr_p4vbhaT4Bp1un92rjo7_1280.jpg

We had never been out here before, and I can see how this would be a great place to watch the MK fireworks.

Back inside, we made our way toward the CG checkin desk, but not before admiring Mary Blair's mural.

tumblr_p4vbhaT4Bp1un92rjo8_1280.jpg

tumblr_p4vbhaT4Bp1un92rjo9_1280.jpg

My attempt at a panorama for the mural. It was going well until I got to the bottom. :hilarious:

tumblr_p4vbhaT4Bp1un92rjo10_1280.jpg

Up next: The actual brunch! I promise, @dizfan917!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Back inside, we made our way toward the CG checkin desk, but not before admiring Mary Blair's mural.

Those are nice photos of the mural, created back in 1971. The Mary Blair tile is 90 feet tall, and has 18,000 individually hand-painted, fire glazed, one foot square ceramic tiles. Her artwork is a most impressive sight in the Grand Canyon Concourse at the Contemporary, and continues to amaze guests. I've stopped and stared at it many times through the years. Never gets old.

bee

Original Poster
Day 5, cont.

At 11:40 we checked in at the California Grill podium. Melissa greeted us, checked us in, and sent us to the elevator, where Katie was waiting to take us to the fifteenth floor.

Before we even exited the elevator I got the text that our table was ready, and we were immediately taken there. The table was near the southeast corner farthest from the elevators, and while I was initially disappointed that we weren't seated closer to the Magic Kingdom views on the west side I ended up liking the privacy of our corner.

Our server was Zineb from Morocco and she greeted us shortly. (Side note: We've dined at CG three times now, and each time our server has been from Morocco.) She explained the buffet and menu to us, and asked if we were old enough to drink ("PLEASE Zineb, you flatter me!"). Upon confirming that we were, indeed, well over the legal drinking age, she told us mimosas were included, a many as we wanted. She literally said, "You can have twenty mimosas, I don't mind!" CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!

She brought us our first mimosas and coffee.

tumblr_p4vbmjb9Kv1un92rjo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_p4vbmjb9Kv1un92rjo6_1280.jpg

(I waited too long to take this, hence the dirty plate)

As you can see these were not traditional mimosas with orange juice, but prosecco with little boba-style balls. They had a subtle blueberry flavor. The nontraditional mimosas didn't bother us at all (let's be real, we liked them better this way because it was basically all prosecco!) but I did see some guests with "normal" mimosas and I'm sure we could have requested some.

Initially it was a little hard to flag down Zineb and service was a little bit slow. For example, it took us awhile to get coffee refills.

After we received our beverages M and I went to the buffet next. The buffet included cheese, charcuterie meats, sushi, salads, deviled eggs, bread, and pastries. There was PLENTY for us to choose from and we didn't feel at all like there weren't enough choices for us as vegetarians.

My first plate, all from the cheese area:

tumblr_p4vbmjb9Kv1un92rjo1_1280.jpg

This blue cheese was MARVELOUS. The accompaniments included both traditional and more adventurous items.

My second plate:

tumblr_p4vbmjb9Kv1un92rjo2_1280.jpg

More blue cheese! A sesame noodle salad, apple and goat cheese salad, fresh strawberries, and a cheddar biscuit (which I shared with M because I can never eat a huge amount of bread!)

Around this time we ordered our entrees. As Zineb had explained earlier, entrees would take about twenty minutes to prepare, and we could order them at any time according to when we thought we would want to enjoy them.

tumblr_p4vbmjb9Kv1un92rjo4_1280.jpg

Eggs benedict for me (minus ham)

tumblr_p4vbmjb9Kv1un92rjo5_1280.jpg

Garden omelet with potatoes for M

tumblr_p4vbmjb9Kv1un92rjo7_1280.jpg

Another mimosa...

I can't overstate how great all the food was. Everything was flavorful, well-prepared, and made of high-quality ingredients. I was just slightly worried that we wouldn't find enough we liked at the buffet without meat, but I was SO. WRONG. M's potatoes were a highlight for both of us and if I could have fit anything else in my stomach I would have ordered a side of these for myself.

Zineb really did keep the "mimosas" (aka straight prosecco poured over the blue boba pearls) flowing. We did start counting them, but, as you can imagine, it was easy to lose count. Let's just say...between the two of us we drank at least four bottles of prosecco... :oops: Zineb was also a lot more present after the first half hour or so of the meal. We guessed that it had to do with us being seated more than twenty minutes early, as it was much busier toward the beginning of the meal than toward the end.

After we had finished our entrees, Zineb asked if we were ready for dessert. We told her we wouldn't be able to eat anything more and she said that was okay because we could take the rest of the desserts home!

tumblr_p4vbmjb9Kv1un92rjo8_1280.jpg

We ate the macarons (AMAZING) and boxed the rest for later.

I forgot to mention the music! There were two musicians playing a digital piano and an upright bass, respectively. They were playing jazzy arrangements of Disney songs, and if I hadn't been listening closely I wouldn't have been able to identify them. I definitely heard "Part of Your World," "Beauty and the Beast," "When you Wish upon a Star," and..."Go the Distance!" As much as I love music (it's my life and my living and my passion) I don't enjoy loud music inside restaurants or anywhere I am trying to enjoy a conversation with someone. The music was just loud enough to listen to if you were really listening, but never distracting or detracting from the overall experience.

By the time we left we had been there for over two hours. It was a wonderfully relaxing way to spend the afternoon and celebrate our first Disney race.

We paid and then went outside to enjoy the views.

tumblr_p4vbmjb9Kv1un92rjo9_1280.jpg

tumblr_p4vbmjb9Kv1un92rjo10_1280.jpg

tumblr_p4vbpdU1Nn1un92rjo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_p4vbpdU1Nn1un92rjo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_p4vbpdU1Nn1un92rjo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_p4vbpdU1Nn1un92rjo4_1280.jpg

So, was it worth the price? Would we do it again? My answer is YES! We certainly wouldn't splurge for it every trip, but it was definitely worth it for a special occasion! Between the food, the drinks, the service, and the views, the overall experience was just delightful and a perfect way to relax and enjoy each other's company. So don't fret, @dizfan917! We loved it!

Up next: After all that wine, will we find our way back to our resort???

Last edited:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Day 5, cont.

At 11:40 we checked in at the California Grill podium. Melissa greeted us, checked us in, and sent us to the elevator, where Katie was waiting to take us to the fifteenth floor.

Before we even exited the elevator I got the text that our table was ready, and we were immediately taken there. The table was near the southeast corner farthest from the elevators, and while I was initially disappointed that we weren't seated closer to the Magic Kingdom views on the west side I ended up liking the privacy of our corner.

Our server was Zineb from Morocco and she greeted us shortly. (Side note: We've dined at CG three times now, and each time our server has been from Morocco.) She explained the buffet and menu to us, and asked if we were old enough to drink ("PLEASE Zineb, you flatter me!"). Upon confirming that we were, indeed, well over the legal drinking age, she told us mimosas were included, a many as we wanted. She literally said, "You can have twenty mimosas, I don't mind!" CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!

She brought us our first mimosas and coffee.

tumblr_p4vbmjb9Kv1un92rjo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_p4vbmjb9Kv1un92rjo6_1280.jpg

(I waited too long to take this, hence the dirty plate)

As you can see these were not traditional mimosas with orange juice, but prosecco with little boba-style balls. They had a subtle blueberry flavor. The nontraditional mimosas didn't bother us at all (let's be real, we liked them better this way because it was basically all prosecco!) but I did see some guests with "normal" mimosas and I'm sure we could have requested some.

Initially it was a little hard to flag down Zineb and service was a little bit slow. For example, it took us awhile to get coffee refills.

After we received our beverages M and I went to the buffet next. The buffet included cheese, charcuterie meats, salads, deviled eggs, bread, and pastries. There was PLENTY for us to choose from and we didn't feel at all like there weren't enough choices for us as vegetarians.

My first plate, all from the cheese area:

tumblr_p4vbmjb9Kv1un92rjo1_1280.jpg

This blue cheese was MARVELOUS. The accompaniments included both traditional and more adventurous items.

My second plate:

tumblr_p4vbmjb9Kv1un92rjo2_1280.jpg

More blue cheese! A sesame noodle salad, apple and goat cheese salad, fresh strawberries, and a cheddar biscuit (which I shared with M because I can never eat a huge amount of bread!)

Around this time we ordered our entrees. As Zineb had explained earlier, entrees would take about twenty minutes to prepare, and we could order them at any time according to when we thought we would want to enjoy them.

tumblr_p4vbmjb9Kv1un92rjo4_1280.jpg

Eggs benedict for me (minus ham)

tumblr_p4vbmjb9Kv1un92rjo5_1280.jpg

Garden omelet with potatoes for M

tumblr_p4vbmjb9Kv1un92rjo7_1280.jpg

Another mimosa...

I can't overstate how great all the food was. Everything was flavorful, well-prepared, and made of high-quality ingredients. I was just slightly worried that we wouldn't find enough we liked at the buffet without meat, but I was SO. WRONG. M's potatoes were a highlight for both of us and if I could have fit anything else in my stomach I would have ordered a side of these for myself.

Zineb really did keep the "mimosas" (aka straight prosecco poured over the blue boba pearls) flowing. We did start counting them, but, as you can imagine, it was easy to lose count. Let's just say...between the two of us we drank at least four bottles of prosecco... :oops: Zineb was also a lot more present after the first half hour or so of the meal. We guessed that it had to do with us being seated more than twenty minutes early, as it was much busier toward the beginning of the meal than toward the end.

After we had finished our entrees, Zineb asked if we were ready for dessert. We told her we wouldn't be able to eat anything more and she said that was okay because we could take the rest of the desserts home!

tumblr_p4vbmjb9Kv1un92rjo8_1280.jpg

We ate the macarons (AMAZING) and boxed the rest for later.

By the time we left we had been there for over two hours. It was a wonderfully relaxing way to spend the afternoon and celebrate our first Disney race.

We paid and then went outside to enjoy the views.

tumblr_p4vbmjb9Kv1un92rjo9_1280.jpg

tumblr_p4vbmjb9Kv1un92rjo10_1280.jpg

tumblr_p4vbpdU1Nn1un92rjo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_p4vbpdU1Nn1un92rjo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_p4vbpdU1Nn1un92rjo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_p4vbpdU1Nn1un92rjo4_1280.jpg

So, was it worth the price? Would we do it again? My answer is YES! We certainly wouldn't splurge for it every trip, but it was definitely worth it for a special occasion! Between the food, the drinks, the service, and the views, the overall experience was just delightful and a perfect way to relax and enjoy each other's company. So don't fret, @dizfan917! We loved it!

Up next: After all that wine, will we find our way back to our resort???

Wow! First review I've read of the breakfast feast at the Cali. That looks amazing, and it's great that there are so many options for various food preferences. Glad you enjoyed the experience, and definitely worth it for a special occasion for people.

dizfan917

Whew! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'm always a little nervous about recommending pricey experiences... just in case it doesn't go over so well. We didn't have the groovy mimosas that you guys did. Ours were the traditional OJ and champagne. It looks like you guys drank even MORE than we did with no juice involved. Nice going! I hope you made it back to the hotel. :geek:

bee

Original Poster
Wow! First review I've read of the breakfast feast at the Cali. That looks amazing, and it's great that there are so many options for various food preferences. Glad you enjoyed the experience, and definitely worth it for a special occasion for people.
It really was amazing! I did ask for modified eggs benny (no meat), and I'm sure I could have asked for other foods to be modified (I saw someone with a special plate of sushi, for example) but there was really so much to choose from we didn't need to ask for anything else.

Whew! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'm always a little nervous about recommending pricey experiences... just in case it doesn't go over so well. We didn't have the groovy mimosas that you guys did. Ours were the traditional OJ and champagne. It looks like you guys drank even MORE than we did with no juice involved. Nice going! I hope you made it back to the hotel. :geek:
We loved it! It felt upscale but still pleasantly casual. I'm still a little amazed at how much we managed to drink, but we also ate SO. MUCH. FOOD. so there was plenty lining our stomachs and preventing us from getting toooooo silly. Good thing calories don't count in Disney...right??? :cautious:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom