Trip Report I know every mile will be worth my while! (A Princess 5K trip report)

Somehow I knew this TR title would reference a song from a Disney movie. I'm a singer after all, and the Disney Renaissance was basically my childhood. A few titles I considered relating to the theme included:

"It's funny how some distance makes everything seem small"
"If I go there's just no telling how far I'll go"
"Come run the hidden pine trails of the forest"
"There ain't nothing gonna stop me now cause I'm almost there"
"We must be swift as a coursing river"

But I went with Hercules for several reasons, not only because I relate to the themes of the song, but because it kept popping up during the trip.

In case you missed my PTR, visit A first, a second, and a third.

Otherwise, continue reading for a journey full of family, fun, and OF COURSE food!

Last edited:

AKemily

But I went with Hercules for several reasons, not only because I relate to the themes of the song, but because it kept popping up during the trip.
giphy.gif

Great song choice! Ready to follow along! :joyfull:

bee

Original Poster
Day 1: Wednesday, February 21

The day began with a 4:45 alarm, followed by a 5:00 Lyft pickup. With early morning traffic we arrived at Newark Liberty in just twenty minutes and there was NO LINE for Southwest bag check. In the past we have waited for over half an hour to check a bag at this airport but we were on our way to security within minutes of arriving.

EWR TSA typically takes 22-25 minutes, and we have waited up to thirty minutes (yes, I always time it!). We don't know what was in the water that morning, but we only waited EIGHT MINUTES!

a-surprise-to-be-sure-but-a-welcome-one.jpg

Miraculously, within an hour of waking up we were already enjoying coffee and breakfast sandwiches from Boar's Head.

tumblr_p4rzcnXA7O1un92rjo1_1280.jpg

Iced coffee

tumblr_p4rzcnXA7O1un92rjo2_1280.jpg

Egg and cheese on whole grain bagel

We had plenty of time to eat and people watch while we waited for our boarding time. It was obvious that many of those waiting in the gate area were also destined for Disney judging by their backpacks, shirts, leggings, stuffed animals, etc.

Our usual SWA strategy is to head to one of the back rows, store our carryon bags, and get out of the way. But we couldn't believe our luck when we saw that these two seats were available:

tumblr_p4rzcnXA7O1un92rjo4_1280.jpg

AKA, the only row with just two seats on the entire plane!

We took off a minute or two early and amused ourselves with free TV, audiobooks, and various non-internet-using mobile games.

tumblr_p4rzcnXA7O1un92rjo6_1280.png

tumblr_p4rzcnXA7O1un92rjo5_1280.png

tumblr_p4rzcnXA7O1un92rjo9_1280.png

tumblr_p4rzcnXA7O1un92rjo7_1280.jpg

Just seltzer!

tumblr_p4rzcnXA7O1un92rjo8_1280.jpg

Just juice!

fb8c489303af144bd7fcd9997b18d6dedc9e0acf.jpg

Just Jack!

The flight went by quickly and soon we could tell we were over Florida:

tumblr_p4rzcnXA7O1un92rjo10_1280.jpg

Up next: Fonorail, Mickey, and DME! And awkwardness at the Coronado front desk...

Last edited:

bee

Original Poster
Day 1, cont.

Bless my soul, we were on a roll!

a9b95dd7a57b361a43a45fa30c8af784.500x250x16.gif

We landed twenty minutes early and walked right onto a Fonorail!

tumblr_p4rzgvx7sh1un92rjo1_1280.jpg

We made our way to the B side and after a quick bathroom stop headed to DME. M noticed this weird alligator print on the escalator handrails:

tumblr_p4rzgvx7sh1un92rjo2_1280.jpg

We were on line for the DME at 10:10 (the time we were officially supposed to land). By 10:13 we were on a bus (and got the last two seats together on a nearly full bus!) and by 10:25 we were pulling out and heading to The Most Magical Place on Earth!

Then things started to get weird.

Our driver went very off-script and talked over the beginning of the DME video. He started out joking about how tired he was, but he basically ended up telling us he doesn't like his job and we were being mean to him. It was suuuuuuper awkward. When Gus came on the TV he told us how Gus is a fake bus driver and the real drivers, "don't know him." When the driver wasn't talking over the video the ride was fine.

tumblr_p4rzgvx7sh1un92rjo3_1280.jpg

New terminal and fancy new Fonorails!

We were near the back of the bus, so this is the best entrance sign photo I could get:

tumblr_p4rzgvx7sh1un92rjo4_1280.jpg

At one point the driver told us he appeared in the DME video and would tell us when it was time. He was the bus driver helping guests retrieve their under-bus luggage in the resort arrival part of the video. He told us, "You're riding with a celebrity!" That part was funny, I admit.

Coronado was the first stop and we were off the bus at 10:56!

tumblr_p4rzgvx7sh1un92rjo6_1280.jpg

I hadn't received a room ready text (or even a room-not-ready text) so we stopped at the front desk.

tumblr_p4rzgvx7sh1un92rjo7_1280.jpg

Another little weird thing happened here. I was following another guest (we'll call her Confused Lady) to the line for the front desk. The ropes that indicated where the line was were kind of confusing and she missed the actual entrance, and since I was following her so did I. There were two more parties following ME, but they were actually paying attention and didn't miss the entrance. So I ended up behind those two plus Confused Lady (okay okay it was my fault for following her blindly).

The two guests in front both got called to the desk, then a CM came to the line and personally approached Confused Lady, and indicated that she should follow her to her station. Confused Lady started to approach the desk, and then another CM opened up and waved me to her station. But this CM was on the way to the one who had approached Confused Lady, and Confused Lady went to the closer CM instead of the one she was supposed to go to. Of course it didn't make much of a difference in the end, but it was annoying in the moment!

At the desk there was some issue with our MagicBands not linking to our rooms, but the CM who actually ended up helping us caught it and reset the bands.

While this was happening we could overhead the CM next to us confirming out loud her guest's email address by spelling it: B-U-T-Z-M-A-N at something or other. I assume that's his name...but if not that's hilarious.

After sorting out the MB situation the CM gave us a map and told us we were in a refurbished room (woohoo!). She also asked if we were interested in declining housekeeping in exchange for a $40 gift card. Um, yes please! They are testing this program apparently, and since we would usually leave the do not disturb sign on during our whole stay anyway it was a no-brainer. She said we could call the front desk any time we needed extra toiletries and whatnot. Within a few minutes I received an email with the gift card code, and since I use the Disney Gift Card site to manage my cards I was able to add it to my account and immediately transfer it to a physical card I had.

Up next: HANGRY TIME

Last edited:

krause

M noticed this weird alligator print on the escalator handrails:
As a nurse, these gross me out sooo much. Like there is no way anyone ever cleans in all those grooves, who knows what is all living in there
giphy.gif

Our driver went very off-script and talked over the beginning of the DME video. He started out joking about how tired he was, but he basically ended up telling us he doesn't like his job and we were being mean to him. It was suuuuuuper awkward. When Gus came on the TV he told us how Gus is a fake bus driver and the real drivers, "don't know him."

Exclusive footage of you and M having to listen to the bus driver:
giphy.gif

Great start to the report! Can’t wait to read more!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom