I have a quick question..which might turn into a few questions...lol

So my DH and I are planning our 2nd trip together, but this time with a new addition to the family, our DD, Sophie! This will be her 1st ever trip, and we want to go May 2011, because of the optimum weather, crowds,wait times, etc...

My question is, when should we start booking, and is there an upfront fee for the booking, or can we do a payment plan, whittling away at the cost until there's a balance of zero? Or is there a fee upfront for the booking, and then there's a payment plan..?

Our daughter will be 1 1/2, so we want to make this as magical as possible for the whole family. (We know she won't remember it, but it's for us..:D)

Character dining would be something we're interested in as well. (That would be a new experience for us as well.)
Also, are there any special things that we could do at the resort or let CM's know that it's her first time, or any special attention at the park?? She LOVES attention, even at 7 months. :lol: :brick: (That's probably our fault though.)

She's a very very very easy going, laid back child though, so rides and such aren't on my list of worries. I just want the memories.

Thank you in advance for any help you post!

Rob562

I've never traveled with a child that young (closest would be my niece when she was 5 or 6), so I can't help you there, but if they still have things set up next year like they are this year, the Cast Members will be able to mark any "special celebrations" on your reservation, and First Visit is one of them.

As for making the reservations, there are two types: Package and Room-Only.

A Room-Only package is just that: a reservation for a room at a Disney resort. When you make a reservation, you'll be required to make a deposit equal to the first night's room. The balance is not due until you check into the hotel, but you're always free to pay down the balance over time. (I like to do this so that I arrive it's totally paid for)
The Room Only reservation has a 5-day cancellation policy in order to get the full refund.
You can purchase park tickets separately, but those have to be paid for in-full at the time of purchase.

A Package is, at minimum, a reservation for a room and park tickets. Onto that you can add the Dining Plan, if you so choose. (Packages also usually come with a couple "Extras" like a free round of mini golf, dining discount coupon, etc)
WHen you book a package, you're required to make a $200 deposit. You then must pay off the balance of the package (either all at once or a little at a time) 45 days before your check-in date.
That 45-day mark is also your cancellation date, after that there are penalties that cut into that $200 deposit.

Room Only reservations can be made up to 499 days in advance by phone only. If final pricing isn't available yet, you'll be quoted a higher nightly rate and will pay your deposit based on that rate. Your rate will be adjusted when final rates come out in August.

All Package reservations (whether via phone or online) and online room-only reservations have to wait until August, when the final room rates and package prices are released.

-Rob

Upvote 0

BeastsBeauty708

Original Poster
Okay, so the best time to start planning would be August then...Okay! I can wait that long.....(I hope) At least I can start planning my itinerary and work out what we'll need to bring and such. And I can start working on my autograph books, and an apron for Sophie. I can't wait!

Upvote 0

mp2bill

A Package is, at minimum, a reservation for a room and park tickets. Onto that you can add the Dining Plan, if you so choose. (Packages also usually come with a couple "Extras" like a free round of mini golf, dining discount coupon, etc)
WHen you book a package, you're required to make a $200 deposit. You then must pay off the balance of the package (either all at once or a little at a time) 45 days before your check-in date.
That 45-day mark is also your cancellation date, after that there are penalties that cut into that $200 deposit.

You just stole my thunder!

The one thing I'd add to this is that you can make dinner reservations up to 6 months in advance for most places, so keep that in mind. Do a search on this site and you can see which restaurants have what policies.

Upvote 0

domndebs

The first time we took our DD she was 18months - we didn't think she would remember it, but she still talks about it, and she's 4:sohappy: We're going again in 74 days, this time with DD number 2 as well, and she'll be 11 months (she won't remember a thing!- an excuse to go again in a few years!). Some of our friends think we silly taking our kids so young, but we love it, and so do they.

Character dining is a great thing to do with young kids, we did Chef Mickey and the Garden Grill (Epcot) last time. Both are great for the Character interaction. The Garden Grill is probably better when you're with young kids as it's served family style to your table, so you don't have to go get the food yourself. It's also a bit quiter than Chef Mickeys.

Enjoy it, your DD certinaly will.

Upvote 0
Just return from a trip last week.

A must do is Chef Mickey. Make sure plan any dining, so at the six month mark you can make your ADR's. I have now taken two trips with my kids before they where six month old. It was a good trip, one suggesting buy a stroller umbrella. If you search ShadyBaby on Amazon, it seems they have one of the best on the market. As for letting cast members know it is her first trip stop at Guest relation at any park and get the my first trip pin(it is free).

Upvote 0

accord99cutie

Premium Member
Room only reservations can be made online, they are not by phone only. I book them online frequently.
He meant that you can make them up to 499 days ONLY over the phone, meaning, if you try to book past December for a room only reservation you will not be able to. Once the rates are out for next year then you are able to book a room only online through December 2011. Basically, you can only book room only online for the full year that the rates are currently out for, but you can always book a room only reservation up to 499 days ahead by calling. (I'm sure I didnt explain that well enough!!)

Upvote 0

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
So my DH and I are planning our 2nd trip together, but this time with a new addition to the family, our DD, Sophie! This will be her 1st ever trip, and we want to go May 2011, because of the optimum weather, crowds,wait times, etc...

My question is, when should we start booking, and is there an upfront fee for the booking, or can we do a payment plan, whittling away at the cost until there's a balance of zero? Or is there a fee upfront for the booking, and then there's a payment plan..?

Our daughter will be 1 1/2, so we want to make this as magical as possible for the whole family. (We know she won't remember it, but it's for us..:D)

Character dining would be something we're interested in as well. (That would be a new experience for us as well.)
Also, are there any special things that we could do at the resort or let CM's know that it's her first time, or any special attention at the park?? She LOVES attention, even at 7 months. :lol: :brick: (That's probably our fault though.)

She's a very very very easy going, laid back child though, so rides and such aren't on my list of worries. I just want the memories.

Thank you in advance for any help you post!

Hi there! Dumbo as the first ride is always a big deal. Also, you can do her first hair cut there on Main Street - I know it is a "barber shop" but they can do a quick little cut for a girl too. Character dining - do the castle (CRT) with the princesses (so for bfast). You can do bibbity bo boutique and make her a princess.

As for booking - $200 down and full payment 45 days prior to arrival.

Happy Planning!

Upvote 0

Mr.Skunkape

We took our youngest when he was 17 months for his first Disney trip and you would be surprised how much he remembered about the trip. He would talk about it for weeks afterward and when we watched the video we shot of the trip he would talk about things we did and what he was going to do the next time he went to" Mickeys House" as he called it. The baby care centers in the parks are a nice place to go when the little one needs a nap,food or a changing. And as always remember to plenty of pictures and video as they only have 1 1st trip to Disney

Upvote 0

thegoofydad

We took three children (6, 4 and 13 months) on our first ever trip and had a blast. We did the deluxe DP and booked a variety of character meals. I highly recommend Chef Mickey, Ohana, Crystal Palace, and Akershus for Princess dining. I agree with a previous post about the barbershop in MK. If you can hold out long enough and get her first haircut there, they give you "first haircut" mouse ears. One of my fondest memories is to see the eyes of my 13 month old gazing in wonderment with the glow of the lights of SpectroMagic off of his face (actually captured it on video). We leave in 20 days with our now four children (9,7,4 and 13 months). We will continue the first haircut tradition with our latest addition.

Upvote 0

NewfieFan

Hi there! Dumbo as the first ride is always a big deal. Also, you can do her first hair cut there on Main Street - I know it is a "barber shop" but they can do a quick little cut for a girl too. Character dining - do the castle (CRT) with the princesses (so for bfast). You can do bibbity bo boutique and make her a princess.

As for booking - $200 down and full payment 45 days prior to arrival.

Happy Planning!

You can't do the Bibbity Bobbity Boutique for a child that young, the minimum age is 3 years old. Although, you may be able to ask them to sprinkle some pixie dust on your child's hair if it's something you really want!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom